New Player - Decent Amount of Questions all Around

Forcesource

Hello! I am new to the SWTOR Community and game! Lately I have been playing and trying to figure out how I want to play.

I kind of wanted help to figure many things out.

So far, what I have done is gotten level 10 Sith Inquisitor, Jedi Knight, and Trooper.

Choosing an advanced class may be hard.

Anyways, about what I wanted to figure out..

What should I create my character to be? These that I already made are just tests.

To help you help me find my preferred class, here are things I like:

-PvE, but I won't go into Raiding or more Hardcore things.

-PvP, I enjoy it a ton. Though I want to be the onewho can win with much ease.

-DPS over other Roles

-I HATE CHANNELED/CASTED attacks. I like fast gameplay. I prefer to move if attacking, especially in PvP. In WoW I usually like being a flag carrier. While running, I liked to stun people without having to stop, making it much more fun.

-Melee, usually not DoTs

-I strongly dislike being worthless without using stealth as my opening battle strategy.

-Looks, I feel looking good affect my satisfaction in battle. I liked jumping off a height with my Sith Inquisitor and ysing Overloas upon landing. Though, my Sith is not a Sorcerer, more of a caster now.

-Decent Defence, I don't want to be TOO mushy, so light armor would have to have some way of protecting myself.

Over all, I prefer to go for a Class who Melees, is not focusing on Stealth/DoTs, and lets me focus on DPS, without being too mushy to handle myself.

I lean to PvP.

Now I have my class. What should I specialize in?

Also, what should my Crew Talent be in this?

After getting all of this down, I must ask, what servers are notable for..

-Friendly Players

-Good PvP

-Faster Ques for PvP

And what server you suggest to me.

Also, how do you suggest I spend credits? Save them up? At what points do I spend them?

Finally, my last question is, what is the best way to meet good friends? I know nobody who plays SWTOR, and have interacted rarely in my time spent so far.

Hello I to had the same ideas for my first character on Swtor, wanted to be dps, personally didn't like stealth tactics and I like moving round wereever possible. I chose Jedi sentinel and I'm still building up to level 50 I've really enjoyed this class, plus it gives you a chance to wear both light and medium armour although medium is obviously much more prefered with the sentinel. He can still make good moves.

I think the big servers are the most helpful, the ones with standard and heavy population there's a good mix of people and most seem to be nice especially because people are building there guilds I'm on tomb of freedon nadd and considering I did not know anyone who plays It I've made some great friends.

As for credits, money is there to be spent :p

hope that helped

Much appreciated!

Though, I actually meant, how should I save my credits? Any big things I should save for? I know there is a mount system starting at Level 25, so I guess I am going to save hp for that. I also will save for bag space.

Anything else that is notable and worth saving for that greatly changes gameplay?

Another quick question is, what is a common mistake a player could make in their first time playing?

Anything else that is notable and worth saving for that greatly changes gameplay?

Another quick question is, what is a common mistake a player could make in their first time playing?

There are currently 3 levels of mount, each increasing in cost, the speeder prices aren't too bad, it's the training cost that dents your wallet.

Skill upgrade costs increase fairly fast as you level up. Personally I don't buy all the new skills, some I find I never use.

Your repair costs will rise as you level up.

Constantly upgrading your gear can be costly if you buy often from the GTN.

Are you planning to craft? That can dent the wallet too if you buy a lot of materials.

I would suggest that you don't start any alts until you have completed Chapter 1 of your current classes 'Class Mission' ( That unlocks your Legacy ). That way any alts you do create will contribute to your Legacy points

What should I create my character to be? These that I already made are just tests.

Jedi Knight:

Either Sentinel or Guardian (Focus or Vigilance) spec

Sentinel is pure DPS, but has no noteworthy crowd control besides channeled stun and a AOE mezz. Guardians get those too. Medium Armour.

Guardian gets a bit more control (Force Push -> reset on Force Jump) and can do DPS in either VIgiliance (Strong DOT damage) or Focus (Strong AOE damage) Build. Heavy Armour.

For a starter char I'd recommend guardian as an AC as you get a bit more utility.

Edited by Veniras

Bang on about the legacy system mate.

For the speeder licence your looking at 35k that can easily be save from levels 23-25 and the speeders are 8k you can get 8k in about 30 mins at that level, probably less time. Additional space is 5k to start I haven't bought that until about level 35 and you get additional bank space for free although you can pay for more space in that also. Keep some cress for level 11-20 for buying gear from the galactic auction things :)

Much appreciated, everyone. :)

Only one of a few questions I have is.. How useful is crafting and such? I never could pay attention to it back when I played WoW. Crafting and Gathering was a pain. I hated going off the road for a quest just to gather something. I just couldn't bear doing it all the time.

I also rolled as a Jedi Sentinel. I plan to go back and go for a Sith Inquisitor, either advanced class, as soon as I get Legacy. I also will grab a Smuggler and Bounty Hunter.

Back to crew skills..

Yes, I rolled a Jedi Sentinel.

I was wondering what crew skills fit me best? I want to make large profits off of it, but at the same time, have much use for myself. I haven't picked a skill yet, so i'm not sure what they are like.

I hear you can make your own hilts and Saber Power Crystals, that sounds pretty cool. Don't know if that's profitable, though.

As for a first craft, personally I'd recommend getting Biochem with its gathering skills Bioanalysis and Diplomacy.

Biochem allows you to make Stims, Medpacs and Implants and I would say is the most useful for a first character and would prove most beneficial while levelling.

Thanks! :)

By the way, would you guys say a Guardian or Sentinel is more fun to play? So far I enjoy Sentinel, but feel I should reroll as a Guardian.

Or should I stick to the Sentinel?

My very last question, is how long does it take to hit endgame?

If you are enjoying playing the Sent, stick with that. Very hard to give advice about what is fun as it's all down to personal taste :)

How long to get to 50? Depends how often you can play, but my best advice for playing a first character is to take your time, enjoy the stories, explore the worlds and don't rush :)

Thanks! :)

By the way, would you guys say a Guardian or Sentinel is more fun to play? So far I enjoy Sentinel, but feel I should reroll as a Guardian.

Or should I stick to the Sentinel?

Seeing as you seemed to like PvP a lot and want to win a lot while moving around in fast-paced melee, I'd say stick to your Sentinel. Guardian just has a somewhat harder time if you try to fill a similar role as a Sentinel (namely DPS) in both the damage skilltrees, especially if you compare how much more ways a sentinel has to stay alive in that role. When you're playing a Tank in PvP you'll have a hard time taking down anyone 1-on-1 unless you really know what you're doing (and have some good gear). But this is just my two cents on the subject. :)

Guardian just has a somewhat harder time if you try to fill a similar role as a Sentinel (namely DPS) in both the damage skilltrees,

*Cough* My focus guardian is a beast in doing damage and rivals my sentinel.

Thanks everyone! I guess I became a Jedi Sentinel on a PVP server which has quick match ques.

I chose the Crew Skills you guys suggested (the potion effects aren't really being used by me much. I often die. Hopefully I will find more use for more than just medpacks)

Do you guys have any tips before I go off on my adventure? I am level 16, with better than average gear (as if it matters at this low of a level) and 3k-ish credits. (i uselessly spent a lot for cheaper gear, mainly on ship parts, and one inventory expansion.) Which I can make back. Soon.

I rolled mainly for focus.

I also kind of need tips. What can I do to be able to skip side quests? I would like to enjoy the storyline as much as I can instead of running all over the place. I might PvP a lot.

Greetings ForceSource and welcome to the forums!

New Player Help has a great community of people who enjoy helping out others. We have some wonderful resources you might enjoy. There is the New Player Guide and the Online Game Manual to get you started. We also have our handy New Players Fleet Pass: A Directory of Resources which showcases various links that might assist you.

We have several member created guides that might help out, too!

Additionally, depending on what you are interested in and what class you are playing, make sure to check out the various stickied threads in those areas! These are great resources of information, often created by fellow community members.

Hope that helps!

Edited by Ellvaan

Thanks everyone! I guess I became a Jedi Sentinel on a PVP server which has quick match ques.

I chose the Crew Skills you guys suggested (the potion effects aren't really being used by me much. I often die. Hopefully I will find more use for more than just medpacks)

Do you guys have any tips before I go off on my adventure? I am level 16, with better than average gear (as if it matters at this low of a level) and 3k-ish credits. (i uselessly spent a lot for cheaper gear, mainly on ship parts, and one inventory expansion.) Which I can make back. Soon.

I rolled mainly for focus.

I also kind of need tips. What can I do to be able to skip side quests? I would like to enjoy the storyline as much as I can instead of running all over the place. I might PvP a lot.

Unless you plan on running the space missions, forget ship upgrades.

Always log out in either a Cantina, your ship or on Fleet so that you get plenty of rested XP bonus.

Now that you have started crafting, reverse engineer some of the items that you make to get the better recipes ( ie the ones for re-useable items ). Once you get to a higher skill level you will be able to get Implant recipes.

Even the class missions involve a fair bit of running around and are usually in the same areas as the normal missions. If you want to get enough Planetary Comms to help upgrade your gear, try and do as many missions as you can.

I can't offer any advice regarding PvP or gear that is obtainable through that route as I don't PvP.

Don't forget to keep your Companion's gear upgraded too, but I suggest you don't try and do them all, only the one you regularly use.