Boltstorm

Vego_Mohenjo

Well, it's been a while since I played. What drove me out of the game was the animation for Boltstorm. Yes, I'm serious. I know to many people it's trivial, but I just can't play the character anymore.

I tried switching to Assault, but then the character giggles like an idiot all the time.

I tried switching to Medic, but then I'm basically left playing as a healbot, unable to attack much at all. Not any fun.

So, I stopped playing.

I'm posting now because it's been a good while since I played and I want to know if there's any hope of them changing this animation... or of letting us choose to stay with Full Auto INSTEAD of "upgrading" to Boltstorm. If not... I think I'll be cancelling my sub.

Call this advance notice. A word from someone in development would be much appreciated.

If not... I think I'll be cancelling my sub.

Call this advance notice. A word from someone in development would be much appreciated.

Advance notice? I think I'd rather call it a silly threat. As far as I know, BioWare doesn't respond to silly threats, so if you're going to jump, just do it. They're not going to show up to talk you down off of the ledge.

You'd have to be really naive to think that threatening them with an unsub was going to get any kind of public reaction from them.

I don't mean it as a threat, I'm just disappointed and hoping they'll offer me a bone. Just a "We're looking into it" would be sufficient.

hahaha. They don't even respond to the countless, literally, hundreds of threads posted about the sorc scourge, you think some dev will pop in to discuss the future plans on allowing you to choose what animation is shown when you use boltstorm? LOL!

It's unbelievable that the devs didn't personally consult you on this aesthetic decision, I'd be super pissed if I were you too.

But seriously, (a) some of us like the new animation, and (b) don't let the door hit you on the way out.

It's unbelievable that the devs didn't personally consult you on this aesthetic decision, I'd be super pissed if I were you too.

But seriously, (a) some of us like the new animation, and (b) don't let the door hit you on the way out.

rofl. inorite? :p

Well, it's been a while since I played. What drove me out of the game was the animation for Boltstorm. Yes, I'm serious. I know to many people it's trivial, but I just can't play the character anymore.

I tried switching to Assault, but then the character giggles like an idiot all the time.

I tried switching to Medic, but then I'm basically left playing as a healbot, unable to attack much at all. Not any fun.

So, I stopped playing.

I'm posting now because it's been a good while since I played and I want to know if there's any hope of them changing this animation... or of letting us choose to stay with Full Auto INSTEAD of "upgrading" to Boltstorm. If not... I think I'll be cancelling my sub.

The animation is terrible. Single reason I play my Merc instead. If they switched the animation with Hail of Bolts we would be set.

• 1 month later...

I want to love my Commando. I really do. Commandos should be all about hitting hard. I put up with Grav Round because it's useful, but it looks and sounds like the gun is passing gas. I just hit 58 and my Full Auto became Boltstorm.

Whiskey...Tango...Foxtrot.

I use a pink/red crystal for that Star Wars blaster bolt look, but now my gun is farting on enemies and then showering them with pink bubbles. It's...just so anti-climatic. Why don't I just throw flowers on them and let them peacefully die of cuteness?

As for switching to Bounty Hunter, maybe some day. I'm a PvE player, so it's about the story and not just the mechanics. Still, though, I now know first hand what everyone else has been complaining about. The cuteness of my Commando just...hurts.

Edited by ZioGio

Honestly I think the best advice on this thread is just go get a color crystal and/or change your gun to a color you can handle the animation on. Or go play mercs, but I think the merc moving while using their "boltstorm" looks ridiculous too.

Honestly I think the best advice on this thread is just go get a color crystal and/or change your gun to a color you can handle the animation on. Or go play mercs, but I think the merc moving while using their "boltstorm" looks ridiculous too.

Yeah, I forgot to test it this morning, but, apparently, turning off bloom is supposed to help remove the "blob" look. I did do some searching to find out which color crystal looks the least worst.

I'm a software UI developer so I deal with graphic artists and industrial designers on a daily basis. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to create the impossible or, even more maddeningly, make a change for change's sake. I even had one designer tell me that he doesn't let technology dictate his designs. :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if they remember what product, platform, or (in the case of SWTOR) license they work on. The customers expect a certain look. Star Wars blasters go "pew pew" and shoot straight bolts. End of story. Rockets and darts are OK, too. I'll even give Grav Round a pass because of its description (even though I'd still prefer if it didn't look and sound like gas escaping). But, for the love for all that is Star Wars, please, designers, keep in mind we're shooting blasters and not casting wizard spells!

Edited by ZioGio