Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DF: Independent Anarchy or Sharpshooter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
DF: Independent Anarchy or Sharpshooter?

AngelFluttershy
11.11.2012 , 02:43 PM | #1
Hey everyone, I have been toying with the idea of dropping a point or two in IA to place into the Sharpshooter talent so I can remove some accuracy off my gear in favor of surge. From my early parses while playing Dirty Fighting, I've found that 2/3 of the damage comes from critting abilities, whereas a Sabslinger has a pretty 50/50 split between crit and non-crit damage. This leads me to believe that pushing surge to its acceptable DR range (300-350 rating) would be worth adding one or two points into the Sharpshooter talent in order to drop a few accuracy enhancements.

I'm wondering if there is anyone around who has already tried this and could weigh in on the subject. If not I'll just have to test this myself when I get my hands on some better enhancements.

Synavix
11.11.2012 , 06:22 PM | #2
I've considered doing this a few times myself, and would love to see some numbers on it if anyone has them.

I'm a bit skeptical about it, though. One thing I have noticed is that at lower levels of gearing, dropping some accuracy as DF won't hurt your DPS overall as much as you'd think (at least, coming from the viewpoint of other MMO's like WoW). I was playing my Sniper (so slightly skewed, since acc affects them a little differently) with only 97-98% and pulling roughly equal DPS as I am now at maxed accuracy. The only that really hurt me was that the occasional miss on Aimed Shot on adds was really brutal. At higher levels of gearing it really becomes a non-issue anyway, since it becomes really easy to "max out" your crit, surge, and accuracy and still gear for power...although I suppose I could drop accuracy implants for another kind if I did this. But even then, your DPS on AoE fights would likely suffer.

AngelFluttershy
11.11.2012 , 11:09 PM | #3
The only obvious downside to this is AOE and possibly burst as Sab Charge will take a hit to its damage. However, lost burst damage from Sab Charge may be close to balancing to the increase in Hemorrhaging Blast + Wounding Shots combo. I don't think it's necessary to drop all three points in IA as with the amount of accuracy enhancements and implants I have now, I still reach 100% and they're only campaign/rakata level. 63s will compensate more and I doubt I'll have to drop more than 2 points in IA to hit surge DR.

My thoughts are that this will help with single-target damage a bit, and DF's AOE sucks compared to the other two specs (SS gets reduced XS CD and Sabslinger is self-explanatory).

Lightning_
11.12.2012 , 04:59 AM | #4
Independent Anarchy is a must have since it buffs Shrap Bomb - one of your main damaging attacks which will parse up to 2nd best damage source after Wounding Shots.

AngelFluttershy
11.16.2012 , 01:54 AM | #5
Now that we have free respecs, I did a little testing with Shrap Bomb and Independent Anarchy so I could have concrete proof that sacrificing points in IA for Sharpshooter would be a loss.

Here were the general rules:
  • Shrap Bomb was applied 10 times.
  • Shrap Bomb's bleed ran all the way through each apply.
  • Exotech skill stim, all class buffs, and identical gear were used for each parse.
  • No debuffs were used on the target.

Without Independent Anarchy: W/o IA Spec
Tooltip Screenshot - Parse

Overall Damage: 38039

With 3/3 Independent Anarchy: With IA Spec

Overall Damage: 42792

The difference between the parses are with Independent Anarchy I did 12.4% more damage than without it, this is even with the without IA test critting about 4% more than the with IA test.

Verdict: Sacrificing points in Independent Anarchy for Sharpshooter would be a loss in DPS due to the significant dip in damage with your second biggest damage dealer.

SatsuAra
11.18.2012 , 11:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelFluttershy View Post
Now that we have free respecs, I did a little testing with Shrap Bomb and Independent Anarchy so I could have concrete proof that sacrificing points in IA for Sharpshooter would be a loss.

Here were the general rules:
  • Shrap Bomb was applied 10 times.
  • Shrap Bomb's bleed ran all the way through each apply.
  • Exotech skill stim, all class buffs, and identical gear were used for each parse.
  • No debuffs were used on the target.

Without Independent Anarchy: W/o IA Spec

Overall Damage: 38039

With 3/3 Independent Anarchy: With IA Spec

Overall Damage: 42792

The difference between the parses are with Independent Anarchy I did 12.4% more damage than without it, this is even with the without IA test critting about 4% more than the with IA test.

Verdict: Sacrificing points in Independent Anarchy for Sharpshooter would be a loss in DPS due to the significant dip in damage with your second biggest damage dealer.

Awesome, thank you for doing the research. Time for me to change my template
Enden I Roul I Emeritus
Smuggler

BKSN

Skolops
11.19.2012 , 02:02 AM | #7
Yes, this is correct. I recall some time ago a relatively prolific poster did a large amount of testing and demonstrated that IA is a must have for Dirty Fighting. Those old numbers should be on the forums as well.
El'Skan-Assassin /// Laetrie-Sniper /// Caelie-Slinger /// Fidaeria-Jugg
Armack -Chaetrie -Gaurex -Isdron -Skol'ompara /// Misericordiae -Elnar -Rujko -Sophiya
<I AM LEGEND>
Prophecy of the Five