Best PvP spec for a Marauder

fishlivers

Carnage/Combat. As a good player you can solo average-decent unguarded healers and annoy the hell out of good ones indefinitely. Add in that when you're white barred you can go in and thunderpunch people which is essentially a guaranteed kill.

Rage is silly and it's dps is overstated (until you stack 2-3x of them);

Annihilation use to be fun, but I never played it consistently.

Carnage is the far best pvp-wise spec for marauders. Smash (rage) is easily countered by decent players and annihilation is best for pve.

I do play carnage/combat and its a great fun spec IMO (when theres no bubble stuns) but to say it isnt also easily countered by decent players is dumb. Its MUCH easier to counter then smash.

Carnage is the far best pvp-wise spec for marauders. Smash (rage) is easily countered by decent players and annihilation is best for pve.

Derp?

Shockwave lasts 20 seconds

Gore lasts 4.5

Gl keeping an lolrauder away for 20 seconds.

Derp

/Endrant ;)

I do play carnage/combat and its a great fun spec IMO (when theres no bubble stuns) but to say it isnt also easily countered by decent players is dumb. Its MUCH easier to counter then smash.

I dont say that carnage/combat mara's/sents can't be countered but I do say it's not nearly as easy as to counter a smasher, pretty much all his damage comes from smash and ravage which both can be easily countered. Knockback on smash and stun on ravage. The carnage marauders damage comes from both force scream, ravage and masacre -- sure ravage can be easily interrupted but the only way to counter force scream and masacre is to pop your defensive cooldowns and try to kite the dude around and no decent melee dps can just be kited around (maybe unless you are madness sorc, they got so many ways to slow down melee dps's it's ridiculous).

Edited by MachoLL

Saying combat/carnage is "easily countered" is a bit silly. We're heavily tooled to stay in melee range of our target almost indefinitely. Our greatest burst [ravage/master-strike] is easily countered--sure, but that is barely 15% of our total PVP damage. Smash/Annihilation have a much harder time laying down consistent pressure and their "burst" is virtually uncounterable.

Okay, thanks for the help!

Well you can thank him but he is wrong.

Annihilation = carnage in pve. Play which one you like more.

Until bubble stun is removed rage is the ONLY viable choice in 50 pvp other then carnage as a group speed buffer.

On a decent server you are going to be sitting inside stuns/purposely popped bubbles for the majority of the time. You better be hitting hard and be hitting quick (one ability) when you come out, which makes rage the only viable option.

Well you can thank him but he is wrong.

Annihilation = carnage in pve. Play which one you like more.

Until bubble stun is removed rage is the ONLY viable choice in 50 pvp other then carnage as a group speed buffer.

On a decent server you are going to be sitting inside stuns/purposely popped bubbles for the majority of the time. You better be hitting hard and be hitting quick (one ability) when you come out, which makes rage the only viable option.

It doesn't change the fact that all decent hitting ability's while spec'ed for rage can be interrupted easily. The only reason that rage players tops the scoreboard is because their big hitting ability is an aoe ability. And with the 30% aoe damage mitigation the carnage marauder gets the rage player is a joke. To be honest the only place the smasher is viable are when the enemy team keeps standing around in groups.

ANY mara spec can spec into 30% aoe dmg reduction.. its not a very high tier talent.

True. But how much use is it against a carnage player? None of his real damage comes from aoe, which unluckily isn't the case for rage players.

Edited by MachoLL

On a team with a bubble stuns specced healer, Carnage/Combat is very easily shut down completely. Lets not sit here and pretend that pretty much the thing that makes Combat really dangerous is Precision Slash. Their damage is good, but without PS it's pretty middle of the road.

And sadly PS is completely shutdown by bubbles until you're whitebarred.

That's why I switched to focus pretty much within a day of hitting 50 with my sent. The auto crit from a leap lasts 20 seconds. If a smash doesn't hit anyone then the 4 stacks of singularity don't go away, and you can slash your cooldown on smash pretty quickly. Plus since you aren't saving blade storm as a big part of your damage you can use it to pop bubbles, and ignoring the AoE component of smash is just plain silly given the pressure it can put on healers.

Once they nerf bubble stuns and you only have to worry about people deliberately countering PS instead of just letting bubble stuns do it Combat is gonna be top of the heap again, and I'm gonna switch back in an instant cause I love that spec.

Right now though the effort you are required to expend to get good performance out of it is totally out of whack while Focus is like a 6 button class.

On a team with a bubble stuns specced healer, Carnage/Combat is very easily shut down completely. Lets not sit here and pretend that pretty much the thing that makes Combat really dangerous is Precision Slash. Their damage is good, but without PS it's pretty middle of the road.

And sadly PS is completely shutdown by bubbles until you're whitebarred.

That's why I switched to focus pretty much within a day of hitting 50 with my sent. The auto crit from a leap lasts 20 seconds. If a smash doesn't hit anyone then the 4 stacks of singularity don't go away, and you can slash your cooldown on smash pretty quickly. Plus since you aren't saving blade storm as a big part of your damage you can use it to pop bubbles, and ignoring the AoE component of smash is just plain silly given the pressure it can put on healers.

Once they nerf bubble stuns and you only have to worry about people deliberately countering PS instead of just letting bubble stuns do it Combat is gonna be top of the heap again, and I'm gonna switch back in an instant cause I love that spec.

Right now though the effort you are required to expend to get good performance out of it is totally out of whack while Focus is like a 6 button class.

The rage player might be capable of putting alot of pressure on healers, but the carnage player can shut them completely down. Any even geared healer can pretty much heal themself up the same amount of damage as the rage players smash can hit for in a single heal.

The rage players damage comes in a few big hits, giving the healer plenty of time to heal himself up while your ability's are on cd and you are stacking singularity. The carnage/combat players damage is constant and is never allowing the healer to get a break.

Furthermore the combat/carnage player have so much mobility they are virtually impossible to kite. I wouldn't say it works that way for the rage player as well. The rage player have 2 charge ability's while the combat/carnage have multiple ways to buff their speed, allowing them to close any range gab very fast.

And the carnage player can as well as the rage player use force scream to break bubbles, I would anyway open with a gore > ravage and then spam massacre till force scream goes of cooldown, you are only losing a slight amount of damage. In some cases crippling throw might actually break the bubble allowing you to save force scream.

Edited by MachoLL

Best pvp spec ATM is rage/focus, it's numbers are nowhere near the other trees. Canage is a good second not only for the damage but for the permanent speed boost and trans boost which helps in responding. Annihilation was the old best tree as the self-heals were resulting in the best 1v1 class, it can still output very decent numbers.

I dont say that carnage/combat mara's/sents can't be countered but I do say it's not nearly as easy as to counter a smasher, pretty much all his damage comes from smash and ravage which both can be easily countered. Knockback on smash and stun on ravage. The carnage marauders damage comes from both force scream, ravage and masacre -- sure ravage can be easily interrupted but the only way to counter force scream and masacre is to pop your defensive cooldowns and try to kite the dude around and no decent melee dps can just be kited around (maybe unless you are madness sorc, they got so many ways to slow down melee dps's it's ridiculous).

Have you seem the damage of slash which comes with a 15% crit bonus? Force scream still capable of 4k crits and dispatch also has a 15% crit bonus?

The only extra tool that a madness sorc has over anon madness one is a 2s root . You should see the lightning how much cc has also.

The rage players damage comes in a few big hits, giving the healer plenty of time to heal himself up while your ability's are on cd and you are stacking singularity. The carnage/combat players damage is constant and is never allowing the healer to get a break.

Furthermore the combat/carnage player have so much mobility they are virtually impossible to kite. I wouldn't say it works that way for the rage player as well. The rage player have 2 charge ability's while the combat/carnage have multiple ways to buff their speed, allowing them to close any range gab very fast.

And the carnage player can as well as the rage player use force scream to break bubbles, I would anyway open with a gore > ravage and then spam massacre till force scream goes of cooldown, you are only losing a slight amount of damage. In some cases crippling throw might actually break the bubble allowing you to save force scream.

You are underestimating just how overpowered rage / focus is at the moment. Carnage / Combat is better for competitive coordinated team play because it brings more utility with the roots and increased speed. But in combat situations Rage/ Focus is simply superior and has quite good sustained damage. After the smash, you can pretty much spam slash witch in focus spec has a constant 6% increase in damage, 30% armor penetration and 15% crit bonus damage and you never really run out of focus. A focus sentinel is also very hard to kite because they have just one focus cost for leg slash, they have force exhaustion to snare and also hurt the target and they have an additional leap. I would say focus is at least as hard to kite as combat.

So yeah, focus / rage is far superior and can put out almost double the damage as combat. Combat / Carnage excels in utility and burst, but this game is such a stunfest that it's very hard to keep hitting your target....with focus / rage at least you do get those smahes in.

• 2 months later...

I just logged in today for the first time since 2.0. Now a brief background, I left the game over a year ago and came back about two weeks ago. I read the forums, checked out the templates, and it seemed as if Annihilation was the way to go for a PVP spec. So, I allocated my points and went to town. It was fun and I was learning the game again.

Logged in today and of course my points have all been reset, the trees are changed, and I have to do all this freaking research to figure out what is going to be the best PVP spec again.

It looks like Annihilation is gone, from what you all are saying and the debate is between Carnage and Rage.

If I get this right Rage has more AOE damage but Rage is "easily" countered.

Carnage is close in terms of damage and you can hit on the move, making it hard to kite. Is that correct?

Our guild is pretty much dead so there are not a lot of us online anymore. I know the game is set up for warzones but being an oldschool SWG player I prefer open world PVP and enjoy scouring the galaxy for red dots to attack.

Do I have the pro's and con's properly identified?

Any suggestions?

I just logged in today for the first time since 2.0. Now a brief background, I left the game over a year ago and came back about two weeks ago. I read the forums, checked out the templates, and it seemed as if Annihilation was the way to go for a PVP spec. So, I allocated my points and went to town. It was fun and I was learning the game again.

Logged in today and of course my points have all been reset, the trees are changed, and I have to do all this freaking research to figure out what is going to be the best PVP spec again.

It looks like Annihilation is gone, from what you all are saying and the debate is between Carnage and Rage.

Carnage is close in terms of damage and you can hit on the move, making it hard to kite. Is that correct?

Our guild is pretty much dead so there are not a lot of us online anymore. I know the game is set up for warzones but being an oldschool SWG player I prefer open world PVP and enjoy scouring the galaxy for red dots to attack.

Any suggestions?

Rage = solo queue/leveling/questing.

Carnage. Cheerleader group spec. (Don't bother playing it outside a premade).

Annihilation? PvE spec mainly now, but "ok". I can still lead dmg with it, but it is no rage spec, and it has nowhere near the utility of carnage.

As far as all this "blah blah difficult blah blah crap"? Rage uses one more button then the other 2 specs, annihilation requires some attention and so does carnage (though you mostly spam one button, besides rage builders fishing for procs).

If you excel or mostly top damage as rage? You will own on the other specs as well. People just like to think "their spec" is hard etc. I play all 3 specs and switch them up now and again.

Edited by biowareftw

Any suggestions?

All 3 specs of marauder are awful right now.

All 3 specs of marauder are awful right now.

Um no. Rage isn't bad, annihilation could use some love but is fantastic for pve, and carnage is fantastic in a group setting.

If you were used to just smashing, and not using all your other attacks, you will struggle with the new rage. If you already used everything ad your disposal it is just as good.

Now is it bad compared to my shadow? Yes. Infiltration/deception is simply overtuned right now though. That doesn't make marauder a bad class.