I give up

Teschmacher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little more information we might be able to steer you the right way for components or ships. If all you have is the starter ships I suggest sticking with it until you can buy something better, doesn't take too long to earn 2500 fleet req 5k can be steep but plenty of good choices at 2.5 . Anyways kudos and sorry your experience was bad, the game is very twitch based - fast paced - and with a very high skill ceiling, for me its very fun / rewarding.

(I play in both groups and Solo most days, so I know what a bad game feels like)

Any game that I have to "stick with it" for weeks to enjoy is not a game worth playing.

Only single player games allow you to walk in as a new player and instantly be a god (or even decent)

All PvP in every game I have played has had a wicked learning curve, some more than others. GSF is not the worst I have played (Try MWO where when u die thats the end of the round)

I am fairly certain that with just dalies and weeklies (a small investment in time) within two weeks you should be able to have some good components and possibly enough fleet req for a new ship. If you expect to spend less time than this then im afraid PvP games in general will disappoint.

In his defense online PvP games usually have tiers, with low level tiers comprise of new players, who as they climb the ladder to higher tiers, become better and better while fighting people at their skill level.

GSf though? The pros and the newbs face each other from day one and the vets and newbs have the same ships, just that vets have the fully mastered more powerful versions.

If GSF was a standalone game it would have gone under long ago.

Any game that I have to "stick with it" for weeks to enjoy is not a game worth playing.

Anything worth it takes time to master. You expect to just waltz in there and instantly kill experienced players left and right ? lol

If you are not willing to take the time to practice, you don't belong in any kind of high end pvp or pve content. Fare well.

Have you tried doing pve, on rail space missions ?

Yeh they are on rails but maybe they can help you get better with aiming while moving, changing powers depending on situation etc.

Using proton torpedoes on command / communication centers for bonus can serve as a good training for missile locking at GSF.

These are whatever I can advise you to do other than telling you to keep playing till you get better at GSF.

I don't have any problems with aiming, or firing torpedoes. Those mechanics are no different than any other space sim.

I have problems with being destroyed immediately. I can dodge one missile lock every what, 60 seconds? But I can't shake the next 10 missiles that immediately follow. And I can only wrap around so many torpedoes or pylons. I'm not seeing any chaff or countermeasure upgrades, so I have no reason to believe that high end combat is anything more than "whoever runs out of missiles last wins".

I have problems with being a "level 1" player pitted against "level 55" players. Skill doesn't mean jack squat when your opponent can survive 200 direct hits and you can't even survive 1. Put me in matches against other players who are learning the ropes, so we can all suck and learn to get better. Don't put me up against max-level ships who know they're going to win before the match even begins. That's not helping anyone learn how to play. It's nothing more than a frustrating grindfest to incrementally suck less until you're finally on par with players who merely have been grinding longer.

And as far as queue times making tiered stages to GSF impossible....well, if GSF were anywhere near as good as you want to believe it is, then there wouldn't be an issue with long queue times, now would there? It's a Star Wars game, FFS. Star Wars is the reason most of us play video games in the first place, and it's the reason that video games became so popular.

I expect more from a Star Wars game. And so should you.

Anything worth it takes time to master. You expect to just waltz in there and instantly kill experienced players left and right ? lol

If you are not willing to take the time to practice, you don't belong in any kind of high end pvp or pve content. Fare well.

I don't expect to be topping kill charts. I do, however, expect to survive long enough to fire off abilities and figure out what they do. I expect some sort of tutorial that does more than explain how to target, how to fire your weapons, and how to capture an objective. I didn't even need a tutorial for that. What I NEED is a tutorial on how to take an enemy base without being one shot by its turrets before I can even get a missile lock. What I NEED is a tutorial on how to figure out which side of an asteroid or base a target is located from long distance, and maybe even an explanation how starship sensors are so much better than the ones thousands of years later in which an imperial fleet can't detect the Millenium Falcon in an asteroid field. And I could definitely use a tutorial on the thought process involved that determined that joystick/gamepad support, a basic feature of every single Star Wars space combat game that's ever been released (with the exception of this game, and Clone Wars Adventure, which, quite coincidentally, has been cancelled), wasn't worth implementing in a game whose fanbase was clamouring for a better space game than the horrible afterthought railshooter (based on a Clone Wars Adventures mini-game, by the way). Flight sim games are why USB joysticks exist. Again, if a game from 2004 can find the resources and talent to include it, why can't this one?

I'm more than willing to "take the time to practice"....but this isn't practice. It's free requisition points for everyone else. I'm not learning anything. I'm just getting more and more frustrated. I could spend a decade doing this, and I wouldn't learn anything other than "you lose, but here's your participation trophy anyway. If you want to get better, just keep showing up, you'll eventually have enough trophies to Pay-To-Win". And I'm just not willing to pay for such an awful Star Wars experience. It's all yours. Be careful not to choke on it.

Well, if GSF is too much to learn, you definitely don't want a 'real' combat flight/space sim. A good sim is far more complex, and the most detailed ones are ones where you're likely to die many times just trying to learn to take off or land.

That said, the suck-tastic nature of the GSF tutorial has been known and commented on since December 2013. Improving it is apparently not a priority for Bioware.

If you want help learning the game:

a) don't be whiny

b) ask a more experienced player specific questions (want to kill turrets? what are you flying and what weapons are you using?)

c) if at all possible get in /gsf chat channel in one of the more populated servers ( The Ebon Hawk, Bastion, Harbinger) and ask for help including voip server info (probably TeamSpeak 3 or Mumble ) because tutoring will go much faster if your teacher can talk to you as you fly. For instance an hour with voice comm based tutoring might be worth a week or two of being mystified on your own.

As far as missiles go, missiles are really quite weak in GSF (seriously, it's a very blaster centric game). I don't have time to give a full missile evasion guide right now, but your best choices of engine component until you learn to avoid them manually would be either power dive, koigran turn, or snap turn, as those are the ones with the shortest cooldowns. Barrel roll is very useful in other ways, but it is the longest cooldown missile break so you might want to swap out of that if it's what you're currently using.

I have problems with being a "level 1" player pitted against "level 55" players. .

Level makes absolutely no difference in GSF. The ships and components that a lvl1 player gets when they start out are exactly the same as those a lvl55 player gets.

Skill doesn't mean jack squat when your opponent can survive 200 direct hits and you can't even survive 1.

While this is an obvious exaggeration, it's true that some blasters (rapid fire lasers) are horribly underwhelming. I'd suggest looking at the guides on here. (There's a really good one by Anastasie) to get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses of different components and the playstyles of the different ships so you can decide which you'd rather invest in.

Personally, I didn't have any trouble getting kills even when I first started GSF on stock ships so I'm not sure where you're coming from.

And as far as queue times making tiered stages to GSF impossible....well, if GSF were anywhere near as good as you want to believe it is, then there wouldn't be an issue with long queue times, now would there?

Try queuing for a flashpoint and GSF at the same time. It's almost always the GSF queue that pops first. (unless you're queued as a tank for the flashpoint)

There's a lot of people who play GSF and enjoy it. They were all newbies at the start. It doesn't take weeks of grinding to get good at GSF. The learning curve is rather steep if you're trying to get to the ace level but for a regular player it's not very hard to learn.

If you still feel that it's not the game for you, then just leave. No game can cater to everyone and whining about it doesn't help.

~zvbm

I consistenly top charts in stock ships, as I'm sure many experienced pilots do. Skill means a lot more than you're giving credit. It's confusing at first, and the tutorial doesn't really prepare you for a full on confrontation, but if you're giving up that's cool. This isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet there is a lot to be said for someone who attempts to get better via asking for help or grouping with experienced pilots and joining them in a VOIP so they can explain what's going on and ell you what's wrong.

Best of luck in PVE (yuck!) :)

This isn't everyone's cup of tea, yet there is a lot to be said for someone who attempts to get better via asking for help or grouping with experienced pilots and joining them in a VOIP so they can explain what's going on and ell you what's wrong.

No, this is certainly not the solution. Since one must already own by, ready-made solutions of supposedly experienced players do not help much.

Also meet in the VOIP Premades rather not the best players, rather those who seek easy victories without much own skills.

Take better contact with really good solo AND group players. If possible, those that are not dependent on crutches such as VOIP.

No, this is certainly not the solution. Since one must already own by, ready-made solutions of supposedly experienced players do not help much.

Also meet in the VOIP Premades rather not the best players, rather those who seek easy victories without much own skills.

Take better contact with really good solo AND group players. If possible, those that are not dependent on crutches such as VOIP.

My comment was talking to people makes it easier to learn how to play - I'm not going to type as much in a match as I would over VOIP when trying to explain what's happening in real time. Not the whole premade VOIP discussion again. And Mumble is free to download - u just have to listen remember.

I consistenly top charts in stock ships, as I'm sure many experienced pilots do.

Really? Stock ship without any upgrades? It is in matches where are most of other pilots (friendlies, enemies) 2-shippers (newbies, not veterans with just one ship in hagar :D ) or skilled veterans? In the latter case it would mean that you are incredibly good pilot or that veterans are really very bad.

I guess you made your choice to quit albeit based on a rash and uninformed opinion.

Too bad. We need more people playing. To whoever thinks communicating effectively

Through VoIP in an online competitive game is over the top. You sir and or ma'am are a masochist.

Some ships like the t3 scout get up to 3 missile breaks, other ships can get 2, while a few others only get one or none. Its not exactly like chaff, so I see where your confusion comes from. You need to read the component descriptions and they will tell you, some components such as distortion field unlock the missile break as you upgrade them.

I won't really waste my breath since your position seems to be intractable, but I can tell you are likely in starter ships (which suck compared to other craft) and that you have not played many games (or else you would have had some unlocks). I can also tell you haven't read any of the guides. If your unwilling to learn then im afraid your experience will never get better.

There is actually a lot to this game, and good flying incudes timing carefully the use of components and choosing when to fight and when to run. Upgrades help a lot, but require you to play for a while learning the ropes and being fodder in competitive matches. IMO this is no different than any other PvP game though so go figure.

All the info is here, its your choice to ignore it :confused:

Really? Stock ship without any upgrades? It is in matches where are most of other pilots (friendlies, enemies) 2-shippers (newbies, not veterans with just one ship in hagar :D ) or skilled veterans? In the latter case it would mean that you are incredibly good pilot or that veterans are really very bad.

Just to give you an idea. Bot is the #1 Gunship through all servers he plays on.

And to the OP. You're a noisy little whiner. Simple. You overexagerate everything and give us impossible numbers. You say 'you like Star Wars game and space sim' but can't try to understand the easiest space game ever. If you'd tried you wouldn't whine about the no joystick support. A joystick would make the aiming and piloting so much harder, so less instinctive.

And beside, everyone knowing me slightly on live will tell you that I never ever have flown a mastered ship. The closer I went to a mastered ship was my sports'dive with T1 pods and my close range StarGuard on Jung'ma with only Quad left to master. And I still have enough skills to pull off kills on some aces around.

The starter ships are pretty good ships with a lot of possibilities (I've thought of almost 10 different builds for the Scout and 3 for the Strike).

Your problem, OP, is simple. Beyond being an idiot, you have no situationnal awareness. To die by a 1-shot... Let me laugh. It is only possible on some Scout build and need a crit on the lowest DPS, highest burst weapon in the game (crit chance of 16%). You most likely get killed cause you can't fly evasively. I once got 5 people on my tail in a sportscar build. And survived. If you want proof, talk to Alex either on Jung'Ma or TEH. He saw me with them on my tail. The '10 following missiles locks is likely a cluster-spam. First of all, on a strike, you can take a cluster every 8 sec, 5 sec if you're running DirecS T3 -3 sec delay. Second, evasive flying around an object would have broke those locks. The target never dieing after 200 shot is most likely a bomber while you're using RFL and no pods -.- Well. If you're attacking a bomber with RFL. You're stupid. RFL has no burst and **** sustained. And you likely got pooped on with a Seismic and a Concussion. Or you were against a Clarion tank and didn't saw the GS -.-

SO. IN CONCLUSION. Good riddance, whiner. If you had searched help instead of coming here to whine, you would still be playing.

Oh! And between. I have helped people who wanted to give up, and got the hooked on the game after explaining their mistakes.

Well, if GSF is too much to learn, you definitely don't want a 'real' combat flight/space sim. A good sim is far more complex, and the most detailed ones are ones where you're likely to die many times just trying to learn to take off or land.

That said, the suck-tastic nature of the GSF tutorial has been known and commented on since December 2013. Improving it is apparently not a priority for Bioware.

This, so much this!

In war Thunder, you get a tutorial every time you get a new type of plane on top of the basic tutorial that teaches you how to hit a slower target, a faster target and so on... You got a plane with rockets? Here's a tutorial on how they work, a bomber? Here's how to do a proper bombing run! Heck, they give you the equivalent of CC for finishing the tutorials! Not just a crap amount either, you get enough for an extra hangar (pretty much the only P2W thing in the whole game).

On top of that we have access to "test flights" basically, solo mission to get to learn how specific planes works, how they feel while turning/diving/climbing/execution maneuvers and how to land/take off with or without enemies.

It took me weeks to get decent in GSF with a half decent build, in War Thunder it took a couple of days and stock ships are very good from the start.

With a lot more planes/ships and battles by tiers it will take a whole week to learn the ropes.

It is sadly a lot easier to get into a flight sim with aerodynamics, damage models, gravity, manual evasive/offensive maneuvers then GSF with it's limited play style by a *large* margin simply because GSF has crap for tutorial/solo training.

GSF does have crap for solo and a poor tutorial. Without any moving targets or shooting targets, and especially without the ability to queue a ship with the companions and layout you want, it's hard to learn much without actually going out and getting waxxed.

But the overall tone of this thread is unreasonable.

Pincer responded right away with Stasie's Compendium and his own new player guide as links. Instead, all OP does is cry about crap.

I have problems with being destroyed immediately. I can dodge one missile lock every what, 60 seconds? But I can't shake the next 10 missiles that immediately follow. And I can only wrap around so many torpedoes or pylons. I'm not seeing any chaff or countermeasure upgrades, so I have no reason to believe that high end combat is anything more than "whoever runs out of missiles last wins".

Our clueless OP drops this on page 1...

What I NEED is a tutorial on how to take an enemy base without being one shot by its turrets before I can even get a missile lock.

And this on page 2.

Who here thinks that:

> You can dodge one missile lock every 60 seconds?

> You can't LOS pretty much indefinitely and prevent all missile locks

> There's no upgrades that make breaking missiles easier

> High end combat is "whoever runs out of missiles last wins"

> Base turrets one shot you?

Anyone?

Oh, right, no one. Out of all the things discussed on the forums, this is the only one that is clearly typed by someone who has no idea what he's saying.

You only have two responses to something this ignorant:

mock him and insult him

try to help him, and by extension anyone else who googles into this wasteland of a thread

Both are valid. The second is more helpful, but the first is fine here- this guy doesn't have a clue.

So for those who are as new as the OP:

1)- You can break a missile every 30-20 seconds baseline. About 2500 req in, however, this becomes every 10-20 seconds, depending on your talents. This is only a couple games, it's nothing.

2)- You can LOS missiles forever. Only cluster missiles can hit you, and only barely. Your real threat when tightly hugging an asteroid or satellite is enemies over/undering you, or laying mines, or railgunning you, your hitting you with burst laser cannon. The first requires multiple enemies, the second is indicated by a bomber and you just have to hide from the mines, the third just means you have to know where the gunship is and stay LOS, and the fourth will take some time to actually kill you.

3)- Anything that makes it easier to boost or dodge is a big upgrade versus missiles. As pointed out, EMP field can break missiles, and so can distortion. But the big thing is being aware of WHERE your enemies are, and how HARD it is to lock missiles. If you are in space- entirely open space- you can OFTEN break a missile lock by an enemy behind you by boosting and flying up, then down and left. This is no guarantee, but often an enemy will begin following you and have a hard time, and that can buy you all the time you need to press your hard missile lock again. Missiles are weak. New players fail at boosting.

4)- This doesn't even make sense.

5)- The base defense turrets on satellites have a short range, and you can approach a satellite such that only one is facing you. Alternatively, you can snipe them from out of range with a gunship. They have a lot of armor, so the upgrades that pierce armor help, but even without them you can simply have decent boost, shields, and full weapon energy, and then fly DIRECTLY towards the turret (no boosting), and once you are in range, begin shooting. After about half a second, switch power to weapons (F1), and continue. If you have directional shields, they should have been at double front on your way in. If you have quick charge, press the button once you begin taking damage. If you have distortion, just press it once the firing starts at you. Because only one turret can hit you, and you are doing a lot of damage, you will kill it. If you are worried about flying past, just kill your throttle on the way in. Once it is down, you can turn and boost away, keeping the sat in between you and it, or, if your shields are still ok, you can fly around the EDGE of the satellite, with the next turret targetted. Again, turn quickly towards it and blast, etc. Once you have rocket pod shield pierce (tier 2) or some large reactor upgrades, or any armor piercing on blasters, or armor piercing on slug railgun, they will be even easier. You should not be using lock missiles on turrets at all, and if you really really want to, they should be from out of range of the turrets. But seriously, no. Stop.

No, this is certainly not the solution.

Yes, it is. Players that have stopped by and played with Drako, queuing with him or all of us, have gotten a lot better faster. Premades are the way to go.

Players who say things like this are trying to justify being generally poor at the game, and they want a ready excuse for their losses. Instead of learning how to fly as a team, they would prefer to focus on the few overpowered mechanics in the game, and dismiss the rest, lauding them as a necessary crutch for their lack of teamwork and skill.

It's also nonsense at every other level- VOIP premades are the most effective and best way to win, and full team versus full team is far deeper than anything else the game has going.

In other words: you are just angry your performance solo will never match that of a good team. But don't let this turn into bad advice to a new player. He should absolutely find a team and run with them, they'll explain the ropes much faster and nicer than, say, this thread.

Unless you count Pincer, who, again, wrote his own guide for new players and linked to it, and Stasie, who wrote a huge compendium, and Drako, who gives one on one advice on how to win:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=741384

So mock this newb, or insult him, or link him to good stuff. But don't tolerate crap like "can only break a missile every 60 seconds".

Oh, and I've seen Drako go 80k damage in a stock Rycer. Literally stock. I've seen Stasie go similar in a stock gunship. Again, literally stock, 0 upgrades. Both have these have carried teams of newbs against teams with geared sihps. I've done very well myself in absolutely stock ships, but not what I've seen those two do.

The message isn't that gear doesn't matter- it does. But it's nowhere close, NOWHERE CLOSE, to what it would be in the ground game. This game is heavily skill based, and most of the really clutch upgrades are early and cheap, with a few exceptions.

maybe even an explanation how starship sensors are so much better than the ones thousands of years later in which an imperial fleet can't detect the Millenium Falcon in an asteroid field

The Millenium Falcon gained a lot of distance on them, and you can do that in this game too. Get to 20k and you'll often not be detected!

Edited by Verain

Surprising from our dear despicable pilot ;) You were nicer than me. With all the whining and crying and poorly written English (English being my second language, well written posts are so much better to read), I was ready to chase the OP and spawn camp him for a few matches. I would even have given him the choice of my ship and said to my team to not attack him if I'm around. Then I would have crushed him. Many times. Then I vented....

:p:D:p

- I share your opinion

- I will never play GSF ever again. Not interested.

- I still play this game as a pvp arcade and enjoy the WZ's.

"Any game that I have to "stick with it" for weeks to enjoy is not a game worth playing."

I gave GSF over a month myself. got a primed ship and still loathed it lol.. Pathetic.

By the way i think its an important detail that i mention i performed very well in GSF matches. Almost always #1, and usually by a long shot. I even played with friends in vent and we worked together during fights. Still an atrocious experience. Anyway. Cya. Had to thumbs up this post.

Edited by Warlord_Maliken