How do you pronounce Columi?

Ryutsuisen

Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce Columi? This has been bothering me for the longest time and I can't seem to find a definite answer. I initially thought it was (Call - oo - My) but everyone I know pronounces it (Ka - loo - Me). One guy I met even said it (Ko - lum - ee)! Anyone know for sure? I typically pronounce things wrong so I was wondering what the correct way is.

Also, Tionese and Rakata gear both refer to advanced civilizations within the Star Wars universe. Is this also the case for Columi?

Does anyone know the proper way to pronounce Columi? This has been bothering me for the longest time and I can't seem to find a definite answer. I initially thought it was (Call - oo - My) but everyone I know pronounces it (Ka - loo - Me). One guy I met even said it (Ko - lum - ee)! Anyone know for sure? I typically pronounce things wrong so I was wondering what the correct way is.

Also, Tionese and Rakata gear both refer to advanced civilizations within the Star Wars universe. Is this also the case for Columi?

I say (Co - loo - me).

I always pronounced it Call um eye

I assume that it is this way. like saying Columbine(Colum-bine) / Columi(Colum-i) or like Columbia - Colum-bia

All words that start with Colum sound the same at the beginning. I don't see why it would change for Columi. Its just the way English uses the prefix of Colum. I don't know where people get these other crazy pronunciations.

Even Colum-bo, Colum-bus. Colum-barium. Everything with Colum sounds the same at the beginning. It only makes since that Columi would follow that same path as other English words.

Edited by thomasmeadows

I assume that it is this way. like saying Columbine(Colum-bine) / Columi(Colum-i) or like Columbia - Colum-bia

All words that start with Colum sound the same at the beginning. I don't see why it would change for Columi. Its just the way English uses the prefix of Colum. I don't know where people get these other crazy pronunciations.

That was my thinking, I feel less awkward saying it now that I know at least some people agree with me.

heh, koh-loo-mee for me, just seems like the most 'natural' pronouncing.

koh for the obvious reason that this is how the 'Col...' is always pronounced in English words (afaik anyway)

(I also can't remember many words with 'mi' at the end that are pronounced 'my' *shrug*)

(I also can't remember many words with 'mi' at the end that are pronounced 'my' *shrug*)

Calami, semi, thalami, isthmi... although, admittedly, most words with the -mi ending that is pronounced with the long "i" sound are the plural variant of the -mus ending, i.e. "thalamus" and "isthmus".

Otherwise, the -mi ending is usually pronounced with the long "e" sound, such as "pastrami" and "tsunami".

Calami, semi, thalami, isthmi... although, admittedly, most words with the -mi ending that is pronounced with the long "i" sound are the plural variant of the -mus ending, i.e. "thalamus" and "isthmus".

Otherwise, the -mi ending is usually pronounced with the long "e" sound, such as "pastrami" and "tsunami".

ok cool. the non-english takes a bow :D

I pronounce it "that gear PvErs wear"

heh, I surely hope that 'actual PVEr' do not wear Columi, considering I'm in a 'mostly pvp' guild and have full rakata with a few pieces of black hole thrown in ;)

because so many themes and more than a few words come from hindu and buddhist roots, I tend to sound out words using regional phonetics...

but at the same time many words are also are from Gaul, or Gaelic- like Sith, or Mannan both being Galic Celt names:

so that said, and being a native Gàidhlig speaker I tend to use my regional phonetics when others dont seem to fit, Columi to me has two more " fitting" pronunciations

the more japanese sounding " Ko-Lu-me " ( so much gear rips off the samurai look anyway so it fits)

and my Gàidhlig " Tcho -lhu- meh " ( the C sound coming more from the throat and taking on almost a hissed H like sound