Companion preference

stilitano

• 1 month later...

I'll add a second recommendation for dps. I run with a dps comp on all my classes and specs for easier content like dailies and heroics.

If you're taking more damage then you like just order your companion to attack mobs first; so that they draw all the initial aggro. The comp gets an instand heal to full when you mount up/rocket boost on the way to the next mob.

Tank is most consistent in some of the heroic2+ stuff I think - basically whenever things get a bit more dicy. Otherwise dps to burn through stuff faster. But either is fine really. If you are geared.

If you are undergeared for some reason I think heal is safer - it is basically you cannot die except in doing vet/master mode kotet chapters, but killing stuff takes longer.

Honestly, I don't like ANY of the Consular companions.

Qyzen is a one note companion with no personality. Points, points, points, points, Scorekeeper, points. That's just about all of his dialogs in one line.

Tharan is a little better, in that he's got some personality (and Holiday for some levity). The trouble is he's a one note insufferable ***. I'm a genius, I'm a genius. Did I mention I'm a genius? That's about all his dialogs amount to.

Next we get Zenith. I don't know why I would want this irresponsible, reckless bonehead on my ship, but the game forces him onto me. His story is similarly one dimensional, with him directing EVERY dialog back to Greystar. Beyond that, he's just endlessly grump, grump, grump, with nothing interesting or appealing to engage us.

Iresso is the next one, and he's bland and wishy washy. I'm only just getting him on my latest Sage, but he's so unremarkable that I can't remember anything about him or his story, despite having played through the Sage several times now.

Finally we get Nadia, who is as bland as white bread. She has no personality beyond being whiny, and what makes that worse, she's the ONLY romantic option the Consular gets. This is exacerbated by her being added so LATE that there's almost no way to develop a relationship or even an attachment to her.

So, ALL the Consular companions are exceedingly weak (especially compared to some of the cool companions other classes get, like Kaliyo, Vette, Jaesa, Kira, and others). I'm about as well to use C2N2.

Oh, you wanted to know type... Well, most of the time, I play my companions on Healer, because they don't take all the kills for themselves, and it lets me feel like I'M the hero, not them.

Edited by Vego_Mohenjo
Misread the point of the thread...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Personally I weirdly like Khem Val.

His is not a notable Star Wars species from the films or Clone Wars.

I'm not into big ghouly flesh monsters.

I definitely don't care for his violent personality.

I'm not into over-the-top muscly guys, so I don't find him hot.

I think he looks incredibly cool and he has his own language and he's interesting.

During those moments when I'm tempted to go sorc, Khem is one of the biggest pluses. The fact that he's your first companion and his influence can be easily maxed is awesome. Because he's a companion I'd actually want to use a lot.

Honestly, I don't like ANY of the Consular companions.

A kindred spirit.

Qyzen is a one note companion with no personality. Points, points, points, points, Scorekeeper, points. That's just about all of his dialogs in one line.

For me the bigger problem is that my sole experience of Trandoshans is those horrible meanies who tried to eat Ahsoka. That doesn't endear the species to me.

I get it. Consulars are diplomats and Yuon does the whole spiel about people not loving Trandoshans. I shouldn't and don't judge Qyzen by the actions of those Trandoshans who haven't even been born yet. But that doesn't elevate him / his species to coolness.

I only use him because it's easy to max his influence on the Esseles.

Tharan is a little better, in that he's got some personality (and Holiday for some levity). The trouble is he's a one note insufferable ***. I'm a genius, I'm a genius. Did I mention I'm a genius? That's about all his dialogs amount to.

Personally I think he's MUCH worse. And there's a second note - his "love of women".

I find him tiresome. I wouldn't want him on my ship. I'd previously read how some companions could be permanently dismissed and thought, why would anyone do that? Why limit your options? Doesn't make any sense.

Then I picked up Tharan.

He's one of the few still missing companions and that doesn't surprise me.

Haven't picked any others up yet personally - I will on my Nautolans - but I've looked into all of the companions online and none of the other consular ones interest me.

Nadia is at least a Jedi and I think it's to the game's detriment that they save her for last. One of the things I struggle with as a consular is feeling Jedi. When I team up with or am around Shadows / Sentinels / Guardians, them whirring about with their lightsabers makes the game feel much, much, much more like Star Wars. Unlike me who just occasionally waves my saber around totally randomly when activating certain abilities.

If the consular's first companion was a lightsaber wielder, I think that would make a much better first impression on people checking out the game.

Companion role - nearly always damage.