Elites should be removed from all non Heroic/FP/Operations missions

Having to explain to a ten year old, let alone getting her brother to help her, that its not too hard doesn't cut it anymore. She; and for the most part her brother; are playing because games are supposed to be fun. While some will think ten is young with proper supervision the game is fine, she sees worse on cable and hears worse as school. That out of the way, far too many missions are stymieing her simple because of the elites involved. Her brother would never admit any problems but he is a bit more stubborn so eventually pushes his way past most if.

What I am getting to is that if she stops playing most likely the rest of us will too. She wants to do her character by herself (if I have to explain why you don't know young ladies) . While we can and do play together at times its a matter of timing. Leaving Christmas vacation and my timimg will be wholly different from theirs. There just isn't a point to the heroic mobs in the normal missions. They are only frustrating and not helping the story along. Of the four of us she does not do missions unless prodded but she will control the fate of four accounts.

Are you trying to encourage your children to be less inquisitive? Your son is determined not stubborn, you will most likely stifle his ambition. You should be ashamed.

Edit: Fail editing ftl

Edited by Blogmonster

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are allowing a prepubescent child play this game you have some serious issues as a parent. The ESRB rating is and I quote from http://www.swtor.com/, "TEEN: Blood and Gore, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence."

So I suggest that you actually do some parenting and not allow children to play this video game and find some video games which are more suited for that age group.

What I am getting to is that if she stops playing most likely the rest of us will too. She wants to do her character by herself (if I have to explain why you don't know young ladies) . While we can and do play together at times its a matter of timing. Leaving Christmas vacation and my timimg will be wholly different from theirs. There just isn't a point to the heroic mobs in the normal missions. They are only frustrating and not helping the story along. Of the four of us she does not do missions unless prodded but she will control the fate of four accounts.

I'm sorry but i am pretty sure we will not follow your 10 year old and leave if she does. And considering the game is 16+ then this whole post seems rather irrelevant.

If you are allowing a prepubescent child play this game you have some serious issues as a parent. The ESRB rating is and I quote from http://www.swtor.com/, "TEEN: Blood and Gore, Mild Language, Sexual Themes, Violence."

So I suggest that you actually do some parenting and not allow children to play this video game and find some video games which are more suited for that age group.

Silly soul

the game is no worse than letting them watch a Star Wars movie. The worse thing is the online interaction between players turn that off and it's fine. My daughter at 10 reads at a high school level (she just finished Animal Farm) and plans on some type of advanced mathematics major in college. She is a straight A student and volunteers her time at our local food bank.

Please tell me again what a bad bad parent I am for letting her play this game? :rolleyes:

Edited by Jett-Rinn

Silly soul

the game is no worse than letting them watch a Star Wars movie. The worse thing is the online interaction between players turn that off and it's fine. My daughter at 10 reads at a high school level (she just finished Animal Farm) and plans on some type of advanced mathematics major in college. She is a straight A student and volunteers her time at our local food bank.

Please tell me again what a bad bad parent I am for letting her play this game? :rolleyes:

You should let your daughter watch I Spit on Your Grave, it's totally fine.

Blood and Gore

Mild language

Sexual themes

Violence

Rated T for Teen.

Not that I think Tor is harmful for your kid (it's not really that bad), the game is not aimed for little kids.

If she can't level on her own because she is too young and doesn't understand some things, there is nothing BW can do.

Having to explain to a ten year old, let alone getting her brother to help her, that its not too hard doesn't cut it anymore.

I'm not 10, and I've no interest playing game dumbed down for 10 years old, especially when they are supposed to be 16+.

I've got 5 2-year old brothers and they're all going to cancel their subs if you don't add more elites Bioware.

Just try explaining to those kids that the world doesn't revolve around them and the experience of millions of people doesn't need to change because of their personal gripes. It's tough...........

Edited by DecimaPoiuytr

You should let your daughter watch I Spit on Your Grave, it's totally fine.

Typical overreaction by you I will give you a chance to take it back though.

Watching one of the goriest horror movies made, and playing a Star Wars game is a bit different.

Folks like Cranberries freaks out at the thought of a kid playing his hardcore serious game...because it is a seriouse game played at a high level...it's srs...really. :rolleyes:

Edited by Jett-Rinn

you don't HAVE to attack heroic mobs...there is always a way around them unless it's a major part of the storyline that they feel should be a challenge.

Having to explain to a ten year old, let alone getting her brother to help her, that its not too hard doesn't cut it anymore. She; and for the most part her brother; are playing because games are supposed to be fun. While some will think ten is young with proper supervision the game is fine, she sees worse on cable and hears worse as school. That out of the way, far too many missions are stymieing her simple because of the elites involved. Her brother would never admit any problems but he is a bit more stubborn so eventually pushes his way past most if.

Okay, avoiding the "Why is a ten year old playing this game" lines...

I've been thinking back across what I've played through so far. Sticking to actual Elites (The Star) and Champions (The spiffier Sunburst looking icon)... There are very FEW quests I've had that weren't Heroic where I NEEDED to kill them where they were any danger.

In open fields, you can usually avoid them.

In normal instanced missions, they are usually stuck in corners or off to the side, where you can skip them if you want. Yes, sometimes this leads to not completing the Bonus mission, but you still get it done.

In missions (Class or otherwise) where you're forced to kill an elite, they are usually FAR easier than the ones you'd find elsewhere. Generally alone or with a few very week adds. Even the Droid Elites are usually alone, and between a player and their companion, fall rather easily. And when the exceptions to this pop up, and a player really can't kill them (I'm at a loss about this, really) there's nothing stopping them from getting aid.

I for one enjoy when I have harder mobs on solo quests. If they were all normal or hard mobs, it would be far easier than it already is. Yes, sometimes you actually have to think about how a fight should go when alone. Kill the weaker ones first, pop some cooldowns, maybe take a medpack. There is zero reason that having to exhibit some minor amount of skill should be a bad thing.

I'll stick to seeing Elites and Champions as free loot. :)

So we should make the difficulty "Faceroll" just so childeren can manage?

L2P issue. If anything, please make the game harder.

Exactly this. The game needs to be tougher imo. I just can't fathom the threads on this forum about difficulty. I wonder what it's like to be that bad.

I'll give the 10 year olds a break though, they are kind of young to conceive of an efficient rotation against a group of elites. In this situation I feel it's the OP's responsibility to teach the child, not expect BioWare to nerf the whole bloody game just so kids below the 16+ rating can have a good time. Unreal. Entitled much? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

1. its 16 rated, for gods sake if you play a bountyhunter you not only murder people infront of their children you take their heads back to their wives.....not really suitable for a 10year old in my opinion.

2. lets not dumb it down any further, its allready very easy, and pretty much a snoozefest,and you want to remove the only "challenging" (HAHAHA) bit? no.

Yeah, I really want to teach my child that the world will bend over for her when ever things are a bit tough. Great lesson there.

Aside from that, the vast majority of the people playing this game are getting through the content without much problem. It's challenging enough to be entertaining, but hardly difficult for anyone with gaming/mmo experience.

So there's another lesson I'd rather my daughter not receive, ruin something for everyone else, to make it better for me.

Stop engendering a sense of entitlement in your children, the world will be a better place.

1. its 16 rated, for gods sake if you play a bountyhunter you not only murder people infront of their children you take their heads back to their wives.....not really suitable for a 10year old in my opinion.

2. lets not dumb it down any further, its allready very easy, and pretty much a snoozefest,and you want to remove the only "challenging" (HAHAHA) bit? no.

I agree so you don't let your kid play a Bounty Hunter; but seriously the Jungle series by Kipling was written for children 9-11....have you ever read Riki Tiki Tavi? :eek: Hell go read some of the Potter novels. The point is you make informed decisions and not "Fox news" it.

It's like I said earlier it really isn't about exposing young minds to the Horrors of the story...for a lot of gamers it just pisses them off to no end that a kid is playing their game.

I showed my wife the ridiculous and insulting comment that Cranberries made...she laughed and said

"Better not tell him she got Heroic Kingslayer when it actually mattered he will jump off a building."

And it's true; last year when we all went to comiccon in San Diego we shook our heads at some of the supposedly adult men in the Yu-Gi-OH line forcing their way through crowds of children yelling "Freaking Kids" as they are trying to bully to the front so they can get armloads of product signed.

The fact of the matter is many kids play these games and they play them at a very high level...one of the up and coming StarCraft players in Korea is eight.

Heck that Sith Juggernaut that keeps owning me on Ilum is probably ten.

Silly soul

If you believe a 10 year old has the emotional maturity to deal with the mature themes in TOR, then it really is no wonder you're letting them play this game. I don't see how your child reading Animal Farm means exposing them to torture, murder, slavery, implied prostitution and warfare is acceptable.

I am amused at the thought of toning down the difficulty to make all the above easier to do however.