Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Slicing post-nerf, please look at the numbers BW
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 03:02 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Drewser View Post
I underlined is where you are 100% wrong.

I am curious though how much you think would need to be earned in a day for it to be economically feasible.
It should be closer to 200 credits per minute (this is with 3 companions) at least. The 70k I made in 60 hours of slicing covers 3 skill ups at my level. 60 hours of mission time for 3 skill ups! It would take 300 mission hours to afford speeder bike training 3. Crazy.

marshalleck
01.10.2012 , 03:02 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by ThatJerkPat View Post
The slicing nodes respawn slower than other gathering skills, you can't gather corpses like others, and if you're in a group you're fighting over the lockboxes. And once again, those other gathering skills can run missions which do not return a loss. You still gain a tangible asset.
Sounds like you may have some legitimate gripes. Too bad everyone keeps focusing on the missions...maybe if more people made noise about these items you've presented, slicers' current circumstances might change.

Or you could just try your luck with harping on the forums about trying to make Bioware undo a change they already made. Good luck with that. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

Drewser
01.10.2012 , 03:02 PM | #33
The slicing nodes respawn slower than other gathering skills, you can't gather corpses like others, and if you're in a group you're fighting over the lockboxes. And once again, those other gathering skills can run missions which do not return a loss. You still gain a tangible asset.
Some of those tangible assets can be sold for less than the cost of the mission so other gathering skills also have a chance to lose money.

Whether is a profit/lose depends on the crew skill and supply/demand of each server.

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 03:03 PM | #34
Some of those tangible assets can be sold for less than the cost of the mission so other gathering skills also have a chance to lose money.

Whether is a profit/lose depends on the crew skill and supply/demand of each server.
If you chose to sell. If you have the appropriate crafting you can simply turn the materials into other profitable goods. I can't turn -658 credits (my high so far on the loss side) into anything. Except more forum posts about why slicing is dumb now.

Drewser
01.10.2012 , 03:04 PM | #35
It should be closer to 200 credits per minute (this is with 3 companions) at least. The 70k I made in 60 hours of slicing covers 3 skill ups at my level. 60 hours of mission time for 3 skill ups! It would take 300 mission hours to afford speeder bike training 3. Crazy.
Wait, you made 70K in 60 hours with 3 companions going out???

You have no idea what you are doing.

marshalleck
01.10.2012 , 03:04 PM | #36

Indeed. 1-3 green biochem compounds which are easily harvested off a corpse don't turn much profit trying to sell to another player.
Classless character progression // Deep crafting & harvesting // Fully customizable spells & skills // Living world with seasons, weather, dynamic day/night & wildlife ecology // >

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 03:07 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by marshalleck View Post
Sounds like you may have some legitimate gripes. Too bad everyone keeps focusing on the missions...maybe if more people made noise about these items you've presented, slicers' current circumstances might change.

Or you could just try your luck with harping on the forums about trying to make Bioware undo a change they already made. Good luck with that. I wouldn't hold my breath.
I would be fine with a complete overhaul of the skill as long as it was profitable to keep. I have not even gotten into the augment side of things. Those things make no money and theres virtually no gear which has augment slots. What were they thinking there?

ThatJerkPat
01.10.2012 , 03:10 PM | #38
Wait, you made 70K in 60 hours with 3 companions going out???

You have no idea what you are doing.
Thats 60 mission hours. Total real time is 20 hours. I ran rich tier 5-3, bountiful tier 4, abundant tier 6-4. Running rich tier 5 and other tier 6 missions is required if you want to gain level 340 mission drops. Please, tell me your winning strategy for slicing and I will track it for a day and see where it comes out.

Ayoki
01.10.2012 , 03:25 PM | #39
This simply is not true. Every mission has a chance to lose money. I'm not talking about losing money in the long run. I'm talking about individual missions. Having any mission return you less credits than you put in is stupid and just arbitrarily kills the profit per minute. Abundants/Moderates/Bountifuls of all levels have a chance to return you negative credits. This is the worst and is the reason why slicing is no longer economically feasible.

The goal is to get something for time & money invested. The opportunity cost of having slicing vs another mission running and not having your companion for questing. Right now slicing is a bad buy.
And every gathering mission has a chance to return you mats worth less on the market then the credits you put in so what is the difference?

Drewser
01.10.2012 , 03:29 PM | #40
Thats 60 mission hours. Total real time is 20 hours. I ran rich tier 5-3, bountiful tier 4, abundant tier 6-4. Running rich tier 5 and other tier 6 missions is required if you want to gain level 340 mission drops. Please, tell me your winning strategy for slicing and I will track it for a day and see where it comes out.
In 20 hours - 60K is decent just for credits returns with 3 companions but it can't include any income from schematic/mission sales.

If you run the right missions you should average 900-1500 per companion per hour and get sales on top of that for the schematic/missions which could easily 2x or 3x your income.

Tonight I will run 4-5 companions while I am running level 50 dailies. I run them using this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...UE&output=html

I never run any mission with less than 15 in the creds per minute column. I never run level 6 missions. I send out on missions from 41-48 then lower. So if 3 missions with 15+ cpm, are available, I send my first 3 on those.

During that time, I will usually get 1-3 to 300-340 UT, Arch or TH missions that I will sell for another 15k to 25k each.