Is faction-swapping coming in 6.0?

Rion_Starkiller

I think Charles said that the Ossus storyline will cement your character's choice on whether to remain with their current faction, or to cross over to the other side. Does anyone have any insight? I look forward to taking my merc and sorc pubside.

Secondly, if we change factions, do we get removed from our faction-based guild? What if I'm the GM of the guild? How will that work? Will there be cross-faction guilds?

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

DISCLAIMER: The following is off the top of my head and may be entirely wrong. :)

The choices in Ossus had to do with whether your Alliance would side with the Republic or the Empire. It didn't affect your own personal faction alignment.

As far as I know there has been no talk of actually changing factions on an individual basis. Some of the reasons why are the type of problems you pointed out. If you changed factions you'd have to leave your guild since they are (currently) uni-faction, etc.

I don't think cross faction would really happen unless we would have the choice to swap back. Cause it can't be something we have decided with Jedi under siege before we even knew what it actually meant in practical terms rather than just story ones.

So, the only thing i could see is for both factions to "lose" and the galaxy to become an outlaw/mercenary haven without republic and empire. In that scenario, having faction restrictions would no longer make sense.

Edited by Nemmar

From everything I can see so far, I don't think you are actually swapping faction, it just seems that you are either helping your original faction, or hindering them. But you don't actually change sides.

Yeah, its this. There are definite technical limitations on the game that prevent faction swapping. Not saying they can't undertake that and fix it in a future update, but they also already have said they aren't quite sure how to feel about Sith running around the rebel space station, etc...

Bad idea imo. Games with opposing sides should never be allowed to swap factions. WoW and now SWTOR are talking about this and it's a bad idea. It has a real good chance of backfiring and making one side way more populated.

If they made it a permanent choice I could see players complaining but if it's not perm then it will just be FOTM. Everyone goes this side one month and that side next month and you get a crazy population swing each time. Faction swapping is not good imo.

Bad idea imo. Games with opposing sides should never be allowed to swap factions. WoW and now SWTOR are talking about this and it's a bad idea. It has a real good chance of backfiring and making one side way more populated.

If they made it a permanent choice I could see players complaining but if it's not perm then it will just be FOTM. Everyone goes this side one month and that side next month and you get a crazy population swing each time. Faction swapping is not good imo.

That could work, however, if you can queue with the opposite faction. Rift does this.

would love it -- but --- not much hope here; I see too many roadblocks; and lots and lots of rewriting and work on an old game ... but it would be nice

That is subscriptions are for, so while it may not necessarily happen, it would still be up in the air.

As for faction-swapping, I'm not entirely sure how far we can go, but the page of Onslaught (or was it something else I read?) does indicate we will be given another opportunity to at least support one side over the other.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

we really support one side or the other now --- it is called sabotage ( or not sabotage) ...

if that isn't support -- what is?

now really, I understand, it is not open support, but still ... if we get more, no one will be more thrilled than me, believe me .. but I won't "bet the farm" on it

Edited by Tashia

I'm expecting gameplay-story segregation here with your choice of alignment only mattering within the relevant flashpoints/instances/etc...going forward. Just as you can play through the Korriban and Tython flashpoints but then go back to those planets and everything's unaffected and killed NPCs are still alive and so on.

• 9 months later...