Why is Doc the only JK companion with a unique healing ability?

Loadsamonie

He still uses Kolto Grenade, not listed on his active healing abilities, and something no other JK companion can mirror.

Is this something leftover from the old days, when companions had to be geared and were hard-locked to specific roles?

Kolto grenade isnt unique. treek also has it.

if it works the same as hers its a terrible ability. in theory, treek kolto grenade is a casted aoe 5m heal, but the reality is the time she takes to cast it signifcantly lowers her overall hps. treek has an hps at 50 of 3k. compare that to arcanns 7k hps and K1-Z3N 7.5k

anywho, long story short there are still several "unique" abilitys among companions. doesnt change their output much. the only ones that are known for imbalance issues, treek 3k hps, NVoreclaw 3k hps (best threat gen of all comps/exp, not backed by parse), (insert every comp clone here) 6.5k hps/5k dps, arcann 7k hps (his cleanse can heal unique pve mechanics, like HM MM droid stack) and k1z3n 5.5k dps/7.5k hps (his hps is equaled only by zoiks... that one droid from hk mission, not going to look it up. kizen is a companion clone of her in healing stance.)

[EDIT] yeh yeh, I corrected all the s/he issues.

Edited by Seterade

What's this referring to?

Hammer station Master mode.

the first boss has a tech stack that drops your damage reduction, and in theory companions cant cleanse it. arcann can. his cleanse, which he drops on you offcd and then it will cleanse you dot style every like 2 seconds, can cleanse it

Edited by Seterade

Kolto grenade isnt unique. treek also has it.

if it works the same as hers its a terrible ability. in theory, treek kolto grenade is a casted aoe 5m heal, but the reality is the time she takes to cast it signifcantly lowers her overall hps. treek has an hps at 50 of 3k. compare that to arcanns 7k hps and K1-Z3N 7.5k

anywho, long story short there are still several "unique" abilitys among companions. doesnt change their output much. the only ones that are known for imbalance issues, treek 3k hps, NVoreclaw 3k hps (best threat gen of all comps/exp, not backed by parse), (insert every comp clone here) 6.5k hps/5k dps, arcann 7k hps (his cleanse can heal unique pve mechanics, like HM MM droid stack) and k1z3n 5.5k dps/7.5k hps (his hps is equaled only by zoiks... that one droid from hk mission, not going to look it up. kizen is a companion clone of her in healing stance.)

[EDIT] yeh yeh, I corrected all the s/he issues.

Doc's Kolto Grenade is instant, not channeled.

Regardless, shouldn't this ability be listed on his active bar, or at least in his bio somewhere?

Edited by Loadsamonie

here are a couple companion exclusives:

HK-51 still has a casted missle launcher attack. (its beauitfull... I miss his threat drop camoe tho :( )

Treek hlr stance is unique

k1z3n/zoiks healing stance are unique

k1z3n dps stance is unique

nathema voreclaw tank and dps stance have dps: aoe frontal cone "roar" tank: boulder launch

Akk dogs dps stance is unique (this is second hand, I dont own an akk dog, but my hk51 fought one to the death and akk dog had at least 2 DoT attacks)

their may be others... :thinking: I believe the combat droid, the square one?, legit has a operative healer aoe heal. (I dont have one but Iv seen him use it back on bastion when he first came out)

what classifys as a unique ability: something that is not repeated over and over by "comp clones" a term applied to the vast majority of companions after 4.0 changes, all melee force/tech and all ranged force/tech being similar to a fault to one another.

in general, Im a little grateful they left anything. I have hk-51 on all my characters, not because hes stronger at anything but because his dps stance stayed pretty much the same.... he lost camo..... he and treek were my OWPVP pals... I had expertise sets for them both back on bastion.

Edited by Seterade

https://swtor.jedipedia.net/en/nco/doc

it would appear, no. he, by appearences, is another companion clone.

Might have to think about getting Treek then. I like Kira as a healer just because she's melee and doesn't have pathing problems, but she's 40 and T7 is my only 50 companion at present. He's so easy to 50, just run Esseles over and over.

I would suggest a melee companion. there is a very broken bug currently in pve that makes ranged comps stop short in combat which (in theory) wont be fixed till 5.10.4 I think (?) which by then Im sure youll have another 50, this time ranged. also, like aforementioned treek literaly has the worst hps in game currently, literally half of "any" other companion. you might die in pve with her.

and might I suggest a faster easier way to get a 50 comp (I do this) it costs 5m, plus about 1.5m in legacy unlocks if you havent already. (100% worth it)

so first unlock your legacy boosts on companion gifts (its like 100k) then unlock companion gift cast unlocks (about 1.5m BUT, it shortens the whole endevor to 10 minutes.) then go to the gtn section of fleet, go to the outside ring and talk to companion gift vendor. buy exactly 480 purple level 5 gifts for 4.8m credits that your companion likes the most. bribe them with 480 gifts over ten minutes and you will have an instant level 50 companion.

Edited by Seterade