Last chance to open your eyes about episode ix

Collec

The real question is: how can anybody be this angry, for this long, about movies set in a universe that revolves around space wizards who try and hit each other with glow sticks.

I love Star Wars, but it has always been a dumb, fun space fantasy epic. People hold the Disney sequels to a higher standard than they hold the Original Trilogy (or the extended universe stuff, remember when a Wookie got crushed by a moon? Yeah, that wasn't stupid at all) and then pretend that their arguments are somehow well-founded and not nitpicking manufactured simply for the satisfaction of being righteously angry.

If you don't like Disney Star Wars, fine. Good. Movies and art are subjective. You have the right to dislike them. But being this angry about it (or doing other tremendously stupid things like sending the actors hate mail for saying lines they had no part in writing) is just pathetic.

Everyone who has become so absorbed in their hatred of TLJ and the Disney movies should watch this and reconsider:

I am not angry....I just don't want people to see episode IX in cinemas...I made my peace with STAR WARS after episode VIII. Franchise ruined...and said I won't see any SW movie in cinemas again.

I didn't read EU comics...for me SW ended after episode VI. Years later I did read some Legacy comics with Cade Skywaler and that's it. I heard that there were Palpatine clones and mind swaps...boring move one from this villain....

I never sent any actor fan mail either of love or hate....I don't hate actors ,just that story and characters are trash.

Edited by Collec

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i liked the old movies (4-6),

i saw the second trilogy (1-3), they were worse than the first but i could enjoy them

i didnt saw the newer ones (except rogue one) cause its all garbage, i wouldnt enjoy them, instead i would feel sad and angry

they should have made films from the thrawnbooks

disney is cancer for starwars

i have a bit hope for "the mandalorian"

i liked the old movies (4-6),

i saw the second trilogy (1-3), they were worse than the first but i could enjoy them

i didnt saw the newer ones (except rogue one) cause its all garbage, i wouldnt enjoy them, instead i would feel sad and angry

they should have made films from the thrawnbooks

disney is cancer for starwars

i have a bit hope for "the mandalorian"

People just hate on prequel trilogy because internet tells them to. And I heard the silliest reasons from many people on why they hate it. But that is their choice. I got complete saga from I-VI and I am happy with it. Begining middle and end....closure. When they axed EU in comics after episode VI I didn't care. Knights of Old Repbulic comics awsome with Zayne. Game awsome with Revan...Clone Wars and Rebels also cool...though I fking hate those spinning ligthsabers from those joke inquisitors. Both shows have ups and downs, but I generally like them.

I could go on and on into Force Unleashed and Podracer,Squadron and other games, but that above is pretty much my whole SW that I care about.

People just hate on prequel trilogy because internet tells them to. And I heard the silliest reasons from many people on why they hate it.

The thing abut the prequels is that people concentrate on the bad stuff in them, and there is a LOT of bad stuff because of poor directing, horrible scripts and some miss-managed use of CGI. There is a solid plot running through them (Palpatine creating a war and then running it from both sides? Genius.), awesome scenes and even some of the memes are great. Plus the clone wars ties the second and third film together perfectly and 'fixes' some of the main characters (Anakin in particular, he is by far the worst scripted character in the prequels). Also without the prequels we wouldn't have Ahsoka.

Not going to go into the Disney Trilogy too much, but reading the leaks about what might happen in the third film fills me with dread of what is about to come.

The thing abut the prequels is that people concentrate on the bad stuff in them, and there is a LOT of bad stuff because of poor directing, horrible scripts and some miss-managed use of CGI. There is a solid plot running through them (Palpatine creating a war and then running it from both sides? Genius.), awesome scenes and even some of the memes are great. Plus the clone wars ties the second and third film together perfectly and 'fixes' some of the main characters (Anakin in particular, he is by far the worst scripted character in the prequels). Also without the prequels we wouldn't have Ahsoka.

Not going to go into the Disney Trilogy too much, but reading the leaks about what might happen in the third film fills me with dread of what is about to come.

I disagree. NOBODY but Jake and Hayden could play Anakin. They played him perfectly.

Poor directing ? NOPE.

Horrible scripts ? NOPE.

Bad CGI ? NOPE

What they were doing was ahead of it's time. This was now 20 years ago for The Phantom Menace.

I guess you could say I'm one of the original trilogy fans since that is what I grew up watching, but I also grew up on the prequel trilogy when it came out in the cinema. I'll be honest, for a Star Wars trilogy, it actually told a good story while revealing how everything had occurred leading to the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy to be honest has so far been a disappointment for me with Ray all of the sudden knowing how to use a Jedi mind trick and being able to beat Kylo Ren in there first duel, I would just sum up to beginner's luck. However in The Last Jedi (which was a disaster in and amongst itself), she is able to beat Luke (who had at that time become a Jedi Master) and fight off Snoke's Crimson Guards and had no faults seems like she was just overpowered to me; though I would blame some of the current social trends at the time for most of those issues. Though if The Return of Skywalker follows in the footsteps of The Last Jedi, then the only thing really keeping Star Wars alive is shows like The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars and the game Star Wars: The Old Republic; but other then those few things, Star Wars would almost effectively cease to exist as we currently know it

I guess you could say I'm one of the original trilogy fans since that is what I grew up watching, but I also grew up on the prequel trilogy when it came out in the cinema. I'll be honest, for a Star Wars trilogy, it actually told a good story while revealing how everything had occurred leading to the original trilogy.

The sequel trilogy to be honest has so far been a disappointment for me with Ray all of the sudden knowing how to use a Jedi mind trick and being able to beat Kylo Ren in there first duel, I would just sum up to beginner's luck. However in The Last Jedi (which was a disaster in and amongst itself), she is able to beat Luke (who had at that time become a Jedi Master) and fight off Snoke's Crimson Guards and had no faults seems like she was just overpowered to me; though I would blame some of the current social trends at the time for most of those issues. Though if The Return of Skywalker follows in the footsteps of The Last Jedi, then the only thing really keeping Star Wars alive is shows like The Mandalorian and The Clone Wars and the game Star Wars: The Old Republic; but other then those few things, Star Wars would almost effectively cease to exist as we currently know it

Exactly. I was 10 years old,when The Phantom Menace came out...but I watched original trilogy at 6 or earlier. Either this is like a memory from past life or they showed Return of Jedi again at one point (which I doubt), but I remember last scene from it and me sitting in theatre. The Endor and music. I still have TAPES of original trilogy somewhere at home.

I can understand someone going...oh you grew up with prequels of course you'll defend them. I can stil watch them today and enjoy them. And knwoing now about Jar Jar, which 10 year old silly me had no clue...it's even better.

I wonder how many people realize that Kylo got BEAT 2x in less than 10h. Like 5h jump from TFA to TLJ isn't enough to develop characters and tell a great story. This is how I honestly feel about disney trilogy: So of course he can't be big bad for episode IX, because he is a joke.

TFA was trash for me...but I saw glimmer of hope for episode VIII....Rey kinda had Satele look going on and she wielded a staff. I thought ok finally we gonna get Luke and he'll properly train her,she'll wield duallightsaber...then TLJ just took a dump on whole franchise...RIP STAR WARS....

Save money for something better....buy Jedi Fallen Order if you can...buy bayb Yoda...or don't...just to anyone out there reading this...don't waste money on episode IX.

I think people are still civilized...but if I was working at cinema I'd be worried people will be so mad,that they'll just trash everything inside after they see episode IX.

George Lucas not bothering to show up for the premiere of the grand conclusion of his saga kinda says it all and then some.

As absurd as it sounds to say it about a guy who cashed in for 4 billion, the poor dude is going to serve as a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds.

George Lucas not bothering to show up for the premiere of the grand conclusion of his saga kinda says it all and then some.

As absurd as it sounds to say it about a guy who cashed in for 4 billion, the poor dude is going to serve as a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds.

Buddy, people have been hating on Lucas for years over changes to the original trilogy and the events of the prequels. He sold Star Wars, at least in part, because he was sick of all the criticism he got and wanted to avoid being blamed. To be honest, all the hate on the sequel trilogy has ultimately proven to me that Lucase was right. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't that bad, but Star Wars fans have made it clear that will NEVER be satisfied with movies beyond the original trilogy... at least until another trilogy comes along. (People once hated the prequels. Now that the sequels have been made, suddenly it's no longer cool to hate the prequels. I am willing to bet that if Disney ever makes another trilogy, people will suddenly start calling the sequels great movies while hating on the new trilogy.)

Buddy, people have been hating on Lucas for years over changes to the original trilogy and the events of the prequels. He sold Star Wars, at least in part, because he was sick of all the criticism he got and wanted to avoid being blamed. To be honest, all the hate on the sequel trilogy has ultimately proven to me that Lucase was right. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi aren't that bad, but Star Wars fans have made it clear that will NEVER be satisfied with movies beyond the original trilogy... at least until another trilogy comes along. (People once hated the prequels. Now that the sequels have been made, suddenly it's no longer cool to hate the prequels. I am willing to bet that if Disney ever makes another trilogy, people will suddenly start calling the sequels great movies while hating on the new trilogy.)

There is a difference between dealing with fan criticism and seeing your magnum opus retconned out of existance...

Edited by aeterno

We can't say for sure that Lucas sold his franchise because of critical fans. He claims he doesn't even use internet. Did people attack him on the streets or something? Was he regularly receiving thousands of angry letters?

But we can say for sure that he was taking a lot of flak from media. That same media who keeps portraying Star Wars fans as vicious flesh-eating monsters.

A nice write-up for everyone interested in the subject.

?

The original trilogy is still around. Disney only retconned the EU from existence. (And Lucas had no involvement in that, and from what I hear, was indifferent towards.)

I don't know what to tell you at this point when you're being so deliberately obtuse... GL's dissatisfaction with the crowbaring apart the OT ending to facilitate E9 is pretty much a matter of public record.

And I mean, if someone did Pulp fiction 2: The official sequel, and stated "twas a roll of gold foil in the briefcase", the first flick would still be there, but it would obviously lose something.

So yea the OT is still there, but it needed the "Palpsy didn't really die" plot twist about as much as LOTR needs the The one ring to magically have landed on a floating pebble in the fires of Mt Doom, all just to facilitate a redo of a culmination of a story arc that not only had a very satisfactory ending but is one of the classical pieces of fiction.

You can't put enough lipstick on the sequel trilogy to mask the fact the narrative decisions of this ill thought out project needlessly upset a lot of people beyond the usual suspects in the basements of their mothers.

Edited by aeterno

We can't say for sure that Lucas sold his franchise because of critical fans. He claims he doesn't even use internet. Did people attack him on the streets or something? Was he regularly receiving thousands of angry letters?

But we can say for sure that he was taking a lot of flak from media. That same media who keeps portraying Star Wars fans as vicious flesh-eating monsters.

A nice write-up for everyone interested in the subject.

I said "in part". Obviously there was more to it.

I don't know what to tell you at this point when you're being so deliberately obtuse... GL's dissatisfaction with the crowbaring apart the OT ending to facilitate E9 is pretty much a matter of public record.

And I mean, if someone did Pulp fiction 2: The official sequel, and stated "twas a roll of gold foil in the briefcase", the first flick would still be there, but it would obviously lose something.

So yea the OT is still there, but it needed the "Palpsy didn't really die" plot twist about as much as LOTR needs the The one ring to magically have landed on a floating pebble in the fires of Mt Doom, all just to facilitate a redo of a culmination of a story arc that not only had a very satisfactory ending but is one of the classical pieces of fiction.

You can't put enough lipstick on the sequel trilogy to mask the fact the narrative decisions of this ill thought out project needlessly upset a lot of people beyond the usual suspects in the basements of their mothers.

"Usual suspects in the basements of their mothers." Lovely attitude you've got there. I'm not making assumptions about YOUR lifestyle because of your opinions. Speaking of which, treating so many of your assessments of the plot of the sequels as if they are factual statements and not as the simple matter of opinions they actually are, THAT is what I call "obtuse".

On another note, have the early reviewers explicitly confirmed Palpatine is alive? 100% with no room for doubt? Because the fact Palpatine never showed up in person in the trailers, even though his voice can be heard, have led me to speculate he might just be around as a force ghost or something. Either way, I would much rather watch the film and make a judgement for myself instead of following what some dude on the internet tells me to.

I said "in part". Obviously there was more to it.

"Usual suspects in the basements of their mothers." Lovely attitude you've got there. I'm not making assumptions about YOUR lifestyle because of your opinions. Speaking of which, treating so many of your assessments of the plot of the sequels as if they are factual statements and not as the simple matter of opinions they actually are, THAT is what I call "obtuse".

On another note, have the early reviewers explicitly confirmed Palpatine is alive? 100% with no room for doubt? Because the fact Palpatine never showed up in person in the trailers, even though his voice can be heard, have led me to speculate he might just be around as a force ghost or something. Either way, I would much rather watch the film and make a judgement for myself instead of following what some dude on the internet tells me to.

We really gonna get into the attitude territory when you opened your salvo of angst at a passing pointing out of GL's absence with calling me "buddy" lol?

And I didn't know I need an actual disclaimer that the thoughts or beliefs I choose to covey in my online messages are in actuality my opinions. The fact that's the literal flippin definition of opinions must have confused me. My bad.

By all means watch the movie, if you manage to love it power to you. I never advocated against it if you'll notice.

We really gonna get into the attitude territory when you opened your salvo of angst at a passing pointing out of GL's absence with calling me "buddy" lol?

And I didn't know I need an actual disclaimer that the thoughts or beliefs I choose to covey in my online messages are in actuality my opinions. The fact that's the literal flippin definition of opinions must have confused me. My bad.

By all means watch the movie, if you manage to love it power to you. I never advocated against it if you'll notice.

"Buddy" is pretty light-hearted term. A far cry from calling someone a basement dweller. At least, that's what I always thought. If I'm wrong, then I'm sorry.

As for the opinion piece, well, with the general attitudes many of the critics have, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between guys who understand their opinions are, well, opinions, and the jerks who honestly think their views are absolute fact. (I'll admit I can get kinda snippy due to the MANY critics I've come across who are beyond insulting towards people who actually like the sequels.) But you implicitly DID advocate against the idea of people enjoying when you talked Lucas not showing up to the premiere, and that the whole thing serves as "a cautionary tale to every creator to only let go of creative control of their IP on their deathbeds." Whether you meant it that way or not, it basically sends the message that "this movie is bad, an insult to the original creator", which implicitly suggests that we are bad people if we enjoy it. It comes off to me as a "no true fan would enjoy this" attitude.

I disliked episodes 7 and 8. I think chances are that I won't like this one either given all the damage already done.

I simply don't consider them canon. Canon is what George made, not bad fan fiction.

But hey, at least rogue 1 and the mandalorian came out alright.

Edited by Nemmar

And now he is with us blaming others. XD

Honestly, Igor duped him. He was dumb to fall for it, but he walked away with billions. It was cowardly of him to fold though. He should have ended his saga before selling, but probably was worried he'd get less green. Choices.

Fact of the matter is Disney spoiled the broth more than the prequels ever did. Actually, I also think the prequels were fine aside being prequels and we knowing the end.

I remember leaving attack of the clones pretty satisfied. There was great action and that Yoda fight... <3

So, yeah, I disagree with your generalisation. I do think some people are impossible to please. But the Disney trilogy is truly bad. I don't see my opinion on that ever changing. Episode 7 is probably the most ridiculous sci-fi movie I ever watched. Hyper space travelling energy beam that has no container and is seen in the naked eye. The shots were so bad too, showing the beam split at the last second to hit multiple planets, besides all the issues with sucking up suns, the shape of that planet weapon, how the surface wasn't completely frozen, how the people outside the firing canon weren't blinded and the atmosphere obliterated! A complete cavalcade of nonsense, and that before even pointing out plot holes and how episode 8 doubled up on the nonsense.

These are things that will never be ok for me. They completely broke my immersion.

I can handle bad writing, if the film is entertaining. They simply aren't. They are laughing matters.

Edited by Nemmar

I found Ep 7 kinda meh, loved Rogue One and Solo. Ep 8 was a total mess of plotholes, pointless sub-plots and forced humor. But hey, my 9 years old self wasn't that much of a fan of Luke's swamp adventures with the green muppet either, and couldn't wait for the next scene featuring Han or Vader.

What broke it for me wasn't what I disliked about TLJ, I could have simply written it off as yet another sub par SW movie, but then the people in charge started to react to criticism. Fine, if it makes you feel better, you can call me a dumb sexist racist pig for not liking your movie, but don't expect me to buy tickets for the next one. If critics I trust are good, then I may watch RoS before it airs on free TV, but that's it.

Edited by Mubrak

Sorry I'm going to watch Episode 9 in theaters.

as much as I want to get partisan and make a statement with my theater going, I have to acknowledge the fact this is another star wars movie to decorate the end of the year. When It comes to cable I can rewatch to infinity but there's at least one prescribed viewing in theaters at release. It's tradition to see a Star Wars movie at the end of the year, no matter how bad it is.

If Disney wanted to make a good movie they would have brought George Lucas for Episodes 7, 8, 9. They're objective is to make theme park attractions for the main Disney business

• 2 weeks later...
I don't use twitter,but I saw this video recommended by YouTube for me.

PEOPLE WAKE UP ! I already had no plans to go see this movie n cinema and watch it at home...but what more proof do you need,that it's gonna be a trash movie?

MAKE THIS TURD FLOP: SAY NO TO DISNEY TRILOGY !!! Let it make under a billion dollars. Let it make less than 500 million dollars. I get it...people will say " whatever I'll still go see it"....knock yourself out...BUT PLEASE DON'T GO SEE IT AGAIN AND AGAIN...IT WON'T GET BETTER !!!!!!

Well, it already made more than 500 (five hundred) million dollars, let us see if it will make above one billion dollars ... and how much exactly...

To be honest, though the so focused movie is comparatively "poor", namely "narrow themed", it is nevertheless a great Star Wars movie and, thus, the relevant Trilogy will be embraced by all the fans in the future...

There is a difference between dealing with fan criticism and seeing your magnum opus retconned out of existance...

I guess he shouldn't have sold his baby to white slavers in a fit of pique then. :p

Honestly, I'll always be grateful to George for giving us Star Wars, but between the endless 'Special Edition' meddling and the Prequels, at this point I don't think it's actually controversial to say that the OT owes a lot of its success to the fact that he couldn't do a lot of the stuff he wanted to. Whether due to budget and technical limitations, or because at the time he wasn't THE George Lucas, and there were people around able and willing to tell him no and critique his ideas.

With all that said, the Sequels are a hot mess, and it's painfully clear that Disney did not actually have anything resembling a plan for what they wanted the trilogy to be, and made about the worst choices possible for directors/writers to do it. Abrams only talent is repackaging and polishing the work done by more talented people and selling it to a new audience, and Johnson is much too in love with sUbvErtIng ExpEctAtIoNs regardless of whether it is actually narratively satisfying. So you had two directors who don't fit the project playing plot tug of war due to the lack of any coherent creative vision or oversight...and the results are pretty much what you'd expect.

And now he is with us blaming others. XD

Honestly, Igor duped him. He was dumb to fall for it, but he walked away with billions. It was cowardly of him to fold though. He should have ended his saga before selling, but probably was worried he'd get less green. Choices.

Fact of the matter is Disney spoiled the broth more than the prequels ever did. Actually, I also think the prequels were fine aside being prequels and we knowing the end.

I remember leaving attack of the clones pretty satisfied. There was great action and that Yoda fight... <3

So, yeah, I disagree with your generalisation. I do think some people are impossible to please. But the Disney trilogy is truly bad. I don't see my opinion on that ever changing. Episode 7 is probably the most ridiculous sci-fi movie I ever watched. Hyper space travelling energy beam that has no container and is seen in the naked eye. The shots were so bad too, showing the beam split at the last second to hit multiple planets, besides all the issues with sucking up suns, the shape of that planet weapon, how the surface wasn't completely frozen, how the people outside the firing canon weren't blinded and the atmosphere obliterated! A complete cavalcade of nonsense, and that before even pointing out plot holes and how episode 8 doubled up on the nonsense.

These are things that will never be ok for me. They completely broke my immersion.

I can handle bad writing, if the film is entertaining. They simply aren't. They are laughing matters.

The average film goer really doesn't care that much about the limitations in a fictional world for fictional technology.

I work in an office with 9 other women, none of whom are Star Wars fans... and yet they're there every release, because children 😂

Star Wars is forever.

Raise your fan flag or get out guys 💕

Edited by Joysie

The average film goer really doesn't care that much about the limitations in a fictional world for fictional technology.

I work in an office with 9 other women, none of whom are Star Wars fans... and yet they're there every release, because children 😂

Star Wars is forever.

Raise your fan flag or get out guys 💕

Okay Star Wars isnt just for children. If it was then Rian made TLJ specifically to brainwash/indoctrinate/educate kids into accepting the Feminist religion which is just as sick as doing it with any other religion. The marketing for these movies (not directed at children at all) I think caused the most outrage. I wasnt a fan of TFA. I was hoping Rey and Ben were twins, I didnt think it was that bad. ROS was cool I only saw the Chinese cut. As anything that goes against Atheism most force ghosts were blurred except for that scene that makes me wish Daisy would do a Disney + show with the force ghost of Luke (maybe appearances from Yoda and Qui gon) with her creating the Jedi Order and falling in love with a redheaded smuggler named Mara Emerald.... TLJ was bantha poodoo..

What makes me angry is Disney made it bad or tried to use it as a social engineering tool on purpose to keep Lucas on. Because everything Star Wars not this trilogy is really good and solid. The Comics and books explaining some of this which is canon actually made me more understanding of the movies. Without ancillary things the new trilogy isnt all that understandable for people not nerds and not into the comics and books.

Edited by enkilleridos