Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My gearing comparison pre/post 6.0 (as it sits on PTS) - long post

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
My gearing comparison pre/post 6.0 (as it sits on PTS) - long post

Zerileth
09.16.2019 , 06:02 PM | #11
Ugh! 6.0 is sounding like it's going to be brutally complicated. This is why I never played Eve. Life is complicated enough I don't need my past time complicated too.
7.0 Return To Kashyyyk
IGN: "Bioware sees soaring profits with new SWTOR expansion, Return to Kashyyyk."

Lhancelot
09.16.2019 , 06:07 PM | #12
Thanks for the write up, Darev.
TRUE
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
RNG is counterproductive because it massively increases player dissatisfaction.
FALSE
Quote: Originally Posted by olagatonjedi View Post
As I detailed in another thread, RNG give the players more control over their gearing.

Banthabreeder
09.17.2019 , 02:28 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darev View Post
Here was the initial gear/path design for 6.0 as seen on PTS

Get to level 75.
RNG gear starts dropping at item rating 270.
Get a FULL SET of 270 gear. All 14 slots.
Once your average item rating is 270, you’ll start to see 272 drops.
Once your average item rating is 272, you’ll start to see 274.
Rinse/repeat for 276 – 278 – 280 – 282….all the way up to 306.
I wanted to add this caveat to your initial gear/path design for 6.0

Something that I think most people won’t realize until it hits them is this gearing system is designed to not only force you to shelve all your current modifiable gear, but your weapons too. You will no longer be able to use your Unstable Vented Lightsaber, Rangehunter Blaster Pistol, Primordial Assault Cannon, whatever, until you hit gear level 306.

As for the gear you wear, you can at least use the Outfit designer to look the way you want as you level up via the 19 levels of gear, but weapons are not part of Outfit designer so, every time you get a higher level weapon, more than likely it will be unmodifiable, so your only option is if you want to continue to get closer to level 306 is to equip that weapon. As a side note, you will also have to install a crystal into every single weapon you receive. So if there are 19 tiers of weapon upgrades, each one of them will need to have a crystal. To save money, I wouldn’t bother pulling your previous crystal from the lower level weapon; just grab a new one from your Collections. Same applies to Tunings. Thankfully, they are in your Collections too.
“Don’t call me a mindless philosopher, you overweight glob of grease.”

Darev
09.17.2019 , 04:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post

Something that I think most people won’t realize until it hits them is this gearing system is designed to not only force you to shelve all your current modifiable gear, but your weapons too. You will no longer be able to use your Unstable Vented Lightsaber, Rangehunter Blaster Pistol, Primordial Assault Cannon, whatever, until you hit gear level 306.

As for the gear you wear, you can at least use the Outfit designer to look the way you want as you level up via the 19 levels of gear, but weapons are not part of Outfit designer so, every time you get a higher level weapon, more than likely it will be unmodifiable, so your only option is if you want to continue to get closer to level 306 is to equip that weapon. As a side note, you will also have to install a crystal into every single weapon you receive. So if there are 19 tiers of weapon upgrades, each one of them will need to have a crystal. To save money, I wouldn’t bother pulling your previous crystal from the lower level weapon; just grab a new one from your Collections. Same applies to Tunings. Thankfully, they are in your Collections too.
There is, or was I think, a separate thread specifically for that. It is a very good point that I didn't initially consider, largely because I quit feeding the CM real world cash about 4 years ago I think.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

Totemdancer
09.17.2019 , 08:40 PM | #15
As great as Darev’s OP and follow ups are, I thought I would add some extra support with this link to Xam’s blog outlining the gearing system as it currently is on the PTS because Bioware have just posted her “meet the content creators profile - Xam Xam”
(https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=968409)
(http://www.swtor.com/blog/welcome-co...reator-program)
Here is her blog about 6.0 gearing.
https://mmobits.com/2019/09/17/geari...-spoils-of-war
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

Totemdancer
09.17.2019 , 08:42 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Banthabreeder View Post

I wonder if Bioware have realised yet that this will hurt their CM weapons sales? I bet it wasn’t even considered and they are scrambling to find a work around so they dont lose revenue.
Please click below link for FREE stuff and Friend Referal for Free 7 day subscription

Darev
09.17.2019 , 09:43 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
As great as Darev’s OP and follow ups are, I thought I would add some extra support with this link to Xam’s blog outlining the gearing system as it currently is on the PTS because Bioware have just posted her “meet the content creators profile - Xam Xam”
(https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=968409)
(http://www.swtor.com/blog/welcome-co...reator-program)
Here is her blog about 6.0 gearing.
https://mmobits.com/2019/09/17/geari...-spoils-of-war
That's a good write up. I had never even heard of Xam Xam until about a month ago. I don't pay attention to the "influencers" as that level of Social Media isn't something I participate in.

She also touched on something, at the end, that I've kind of left out of my posts.

Players can not rely on any content being as easy as it is now when 6.0 launches. The game is going to change in ways we have not seen in years. It will be a bit of a ‘culture shock’ for most of the player base. Ideally, a more efficient gearing system would ease this ‘shock’. Only time will tell.

That first bit, the first two sentences, they are key.
Easy mode for everything is getting turned off.

They are adjusting companion healing that, at least right now, makes the heals timed differently and definitely less smooth. Your health will dip far below what you're used to. If the heal from your companion is mis-timed, you'll die more frequently.

They are changing level sync for at least the early planets.
Right now on the starter planets, you level sync down to 12. On PTS, it's down to 10 (maybe 11, but I think 10). That closes the gap between your toon and the mobs. Between that and the companion healing adjustment...you may die doing things you normally face-roll through.

I've only taken a new toon on PTS through the starter planet, and that was during the previous phase to activate my account legacy, when they weren't letting us transfer toons from live to PTS. I haven't done it in the current PTS build. That's a project for when they adjust gear again.

There are more issues than just RNG. Other people are doing a good job championing them, and I think people see enough "Darev" from the RNG threads, no need to go into those.

Again, to you players who haven't downloaded PTS to play on it, please do so.
Let it install over night while you sleep, it will be ready for you the next time you play.
This 6.0 expansion is going to radically change the game. Please help test it and give a voice to your own concern.

I don't want to speak for you. I want you to speak for yourself.
If you choose to fight in the sewer you can no longer claim to have the moral high ground.

OlBuzzard
09.17.2019 , 09:52 PM | #18
That's a good write up. I had never even heard of Xam Xam until about a month ago. I don't pay attention to the "influencers" as that level of Social Media isn't something I participate in.

She also touched on something, at the end, that I've kind of left out of my posts.

Players can not rely on any content being as easy as it is now when 6.0 launches. The game is going to change in ways we have not seen in years. It will be a bit of a ‘culture shock’ for most of the player base. Ideally, a more efficient gearing system would ease this ‘shock’. Only time will tell.

That first bit, the first two sentences, they are key.
Easy mode for everything is getting turned off.

They are adjusting companion healing that, at least right now, makes the heals timed differently and definitely less smooth. Your health will dip far below what you're used to. If the heal from your companion is mis-timed, you'll die more frequently.

They are changing level sync for at least the early planets.
Right now on the starter planets, you level sync down to 12. On PTS, it's down to 10 (maybe 11, but I think 10). That closes the gap between your toon and the mobs. Between that and the companion healing adjustment...you may die doing things you normally face-roll through.

I've only taken a new toon on PTS through the starter planet, and that was during the previous phase to activate my account legacy, when they weren't letting us transfer toons from live to PTS. I haven't done it in the current PTS build. That's a project for when they adjust gear again.

There are more issues than just RNG. Other people are doing a good job championing them, and I think people see enough "Darev" from the RNG threads, no need to go into those.

Again, to you players who haven't downloaded PTS to play on it, please do so.
Let it install over night while you sleep, it will be ready for you the next time you play.
This 6.0 expansion is going to radically change the game. Please help test it and give a voice to your own concern.

I don't want to speak for you. I want you to speak for yourself.
Bud.. You're on top of it.

That was exactly what I suggested a while back as well.

Some of you younger whipper snappers that are good at this stuff need to get in and find out first hand.

If you do a lot of solo playing … you need to be there.

If you're into PvP … you need to do your thing as well.

Change is coming ? IMO … It's already here !

And for the record Darev.. IMO you usually post some pretty darn good stuff !! Don't ever kind your self !! Keep it up too !!
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Rolodome
09.17.2019 , 11:08 PM | #19
Great breakdown, appreciate the time and effort.
This worries me and if I ever find the priority to check it out before 6.0 hits, I probably will. I have primarily played this game solo, historically, and from the things I've read, it's going to be more of a slog - not difficult, just potentially longer TTK. I will have to see for myself if that impression holds up in my own testing, but TTK issues has always been one of the main factors in my struggling to replay KOTFE/KOTET. This game loves to throw high numbers of mobs at you, which I believe (from what I remember) was originally billed as being something to make you "feel heroic," and that the mobs weren't meant to be all that difficult to kill individually. Mixing together lots of mobs with high TTK makes for encounters and content that is simply an unnecessary time-drain and isn't all that engaging (in my experience).

The place where "hordes of weak or semi-weak mobs" seems to work much better is in the FPS genre, where attacks are often designed such that encounters end quickly and bombastically. And classic MMORPG combat, as this game does, is just not styled that way at its core. It's possible this is one of those things where the edges of its single-player legacy come out and that had the game not been multi-player, the combat would have been more bombastic and abrupt, similar to the pacing of KOTOR 1/2, which - though not as fast as a typical FPS - could certainly end pretty fast once you got some powers or strength going at higher levels.

At any rate, it is what it is now and those are my concerns about it.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

Totemdancer
09.17.2019 , 11:13 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

PTS is once again available with a new patch. SNIP. The acquisition changes we talked about are still in process, I will let you know when we deploy those to PTS. Expect a write-up of what is changing when we get there.

-eric
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterRummy View Post
Changes were made, especially towards loot acquisition. You also cut tech fragments in half on gold iLevel drops from 12 to 5. Are yall expecting us to have the same amount of tech drops no matter the color or iLevel? This is an outrage. PLease have this fixed by tonights end! We are expected to know what we are up against by production time...... horrible
This has me concerned and hopefully it’s a bug or mistake.