Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eli_Porter
06.29.2017 , 08:41 AM | #11
If you place bolster at 242, then you need to make T4 gear sooner available through PvP to compensate.

This means heavily reducing the UC costs, especially for T2 and T3 gear. Alternatively, make 246 gear more readily available instead.

TUXs
06.29.2017 , 08:42 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Eli_Porter View Post
This means heavily reducing the UC costs, especially for T2 and T3 gear.
This should happen anyway. UC costs are double what they should be across the board.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

kukumburr
06.29.2017 , 08:43 AM | #13
I don't have a big problem with the current bolster but I think it could be bumped up to 240 or 242.

Since the introduction of the galactic command system I've played fairly casually and for the most part I log on everyday and just do the warzone daily and make sure to complete the weekly. I do the occasional uprising or chapter too but not very often. I've just recently made it to Tier 3 and finished getting 236 gear (mostly from the unassembled components). So it takes a really long time for a casual player to gear up, although I actually kind of enjoy the unassembled component thing since it gives me a goal and I can get a piece at least once a week usually.

So based on that I think bolster should be pretty generous but not quite as good as top tier. That way it still gives a reason to aim for the best gear but you still feel perfectly competitive in the mean time. And I don't think that requires a huge change since I have alts that I pvp with who still aren't even in full 230 gear and I don't feel disadvantaged. But I think it'd be fine if it was bumped up a bit closer to the highest tier.

Inspirator
06.29.2017 , 08:44 AM | #14
Bolster should be only as high as required to prevent those entering with lesser gear from being completely without the ability to compete. No one should ever be bolstered near the top. That makes gear progression meaningless. If players want the best gear performance, they should be willing to put in the effort to earn it.

238 seems adequate, but 240 would be okay since it is really so easy to get to that level of gear anyway.

Eshvara
06.29.2017 , 08:45 AM | #15
242 seems to be the best idea out of those options. I don't know when a new tier of gear will come out, but if it's going to be sooner rather than later, it should be 246 rather than 242.
#Arcannite
||Refer a friend🙋|| Griffith did nothing wrong.
💫TRE💫
🌒

omaan
06.29.2017 , 08:45 AM | #16
You made it very painful to gear up through pvp, you said that "we dont want to force our players to do what they dont want to do" but in fact it is what you are doing now because today the only one way to gear up within adequate time is do pve and then buying BIS gear through pvp (which means you are actually forcing us to do WHAT WE DONT WANT TO DO). As a consequence Gear disparity became very large and gearing up alts throughout pvp have become a serious painful problem. Many pvp players just LEFT.

So yeah, bolster should be as high as possible so that pvp players would gear up AS THEY WANT (throughout pvp) without being one shoted by those who have 248 gear.

IN addition to this, the problem with both pvp and pve gearing progressions made our game more toxic, you can see in general discussion many threads where pve and pvp players are complaining and arguing with each other which gearing progression (pve or pvp) must be faster or buffed/nerfed.... these "gearing wars" are only causing problems

yellow_
06.29.2017 , 08:46 AM | #17
Higher please. Difference between tiers of PVP gear was often as little as 4, such as 208 vs 204 gear last patch.

Also, the large gap is hugely exacerbated by how much longer it takes to go from entry level pvp gear to the best stuff. If that is going to stay --and I doubt there is any reason to believe that it won't-- bolster really should be higher.
Doc
Sick Twisted Individuals

omaan
06.29.2017 , 08:48 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
This should happen anyway. UC costs are double what they should be across the board.
Also agreed

merovejec
06.29.2017 , 08:54 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by JojoMagus View Post
Spent 25 mil on end gear 246 armor mods/main hand weapons/off hand weapons (no relics/no implants/no augments/no relics).

I have heard someone gave up on PVP because of well geared ranked players playing in unranked. I would say make PVP max out on bolster for everyone, so the only ones losing is the one slow on the uptake.
Quote: Originally Posted by micnevv View Post
PVP isn't about gear, it's about learning to outplay your opponents.

Yes I believe that gear should play a very minuscule role in PVP for the sake of character progression. However I do not believe that it is fair to mock people like that for wanting a competitive environment where everyone is quickly put on the same playing field in terms of stats.
Do you really want to say you will enjoy to PVP all day-every day without any kinda of gear proggresion? How long will you find that fun? If all will be equal you will then find other things you dont like, for example more class balance, more maps, changing way resolve works etc etc

By having to grind gear you are busy with playing the game, not complaining about stuff.
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link

micnevv
06.29.2017 , 08:58 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
Do you really want to say you will enjoy to PVP all day-every day without any kinda of gear proggresion? How long will you find that fun? If all will be equal you will then find other things you dont like, for example more class balance, more maps, changing way resolve works etc etc

By having to grind gear you are busy with playing the game, not complaining about stuff.
Yeah, It's how I used to enjoy PVP during SOR and KOTFE. I never had to worry about gear with the surplus of extremely easy to acquire warzone comms.

And I guess this grind thing isn't working since here I am "complaining".