Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Discussion Topic: Bolster Changes in PvP
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Evolixe's Avatar


Evolixe
06.29.2017 , 01:03 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
Thats the good point, how many of "You" are there? There are many threads about new maps, new PVP forms etc, they added Odessen and "you" hated it so I guess you guys just dont know what you want!
A lot more than the contrary, I'd say. And I say that with a decade of MMO PvP experience.
People that play PvP for the PvP, don't care about gear. They just need it to do what they do. But if it wouldn't be there at all that would be fine too. As a matter of fact.. Guild Wars 2 works exactly that way. It doesn't have gear for instanced PvP. Everyone has equal stats and that game is still being played by masses.

You won't suddenly see an exodus of players just because there is no gear progression.
That's just an assumption of people that don't really PvP much and more do it as an off-thing.

Most of those people are more into PvE where gear progression is a core part of the way the game unfolds for you and your group.

Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
This statement is invalid, its not just about the gear but also about the team etc, in PVP you have objectives too, just like in GSF, if you have a low tier ship u dont jump into a group of 4 enemies to get globalled, you support etc. Also, 246 is craftable, you can get full 246 in a few minutes, just grind those credits a little!!
Then there is still disparity. We don't need that. I don't do Dailies I don't do weeklies.., I don't do Flashpoints, I don't do anything Group Finder and I don't care about achievements. All I want.. is to play the game.

I don't set any goals I just want to play. Goals are for people that need an excuse.
But if you need an excuse to PvP then you don't want to be there in the first place anyway
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon - Darth Malgus
Shadow/Sin Discord Server

micnevv's Avatar


micnevv
06.29.2017 , 01:04 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
This statement is invalid, its not just about the gear but also about the team etc, in PVP you have objectives too, just like in GSF, if you have a low tier ship u dont jump into a group of 4 enemies to get globalled, you support etc. Also, 246 is craftable, you can get full 246 in a few minutes, just grind those credits a little!!

Ok now that’s just being silly. How is it invalid?

Teamwork isn’t going to help you Out-dps/heal teamfights. You either have the numbers or you don’t. No amount of teamwork will help you win against an equally skilled team with superior gear.

If that’s not enough for you then take defending as an example. Do you really feel comfortable leaving the 230 guy defending? Of course not, hes gonna get 1-shot by an assassin and no one will get there in time to help.

BlevatToshnit's Avatar


BlevatToshnit
06.29.2017 , 01:04 PM | #103
Overgear now means more than ever before. Difference between T1 and T4 (both bolstered) is insane - more than 700 bonus damage, it's just ridiculous comparing to old pvp gear where difference between T1 and T2 was adout 40 bonus damage. No matter how skilled you are, you just can't overcome this odds.
Of course i will vote for a maximum bolster - 242, but it wont be enough.
мм... Няшка!

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
06.29.2017 , 01:04 PM | #104
Keeping gear as it is HURTS PvP participation. If you enjoy PvPing in this game, you need to think about the average player and what it would take to get them involved in PvP. Gear gaps do nothing but HURT PvP.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Evolixe's Avatar


Evolixe
06.29.2017 , 01:05 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
then please Bioware, gives us bolster to Master mode operations!!! Why not???
Because...

Quote: Originally Posted by Evolixe View Post
PvE where gear progression is a core part of the way the game unfolds for you and your group.

But to be honest, I think pretty much everyones main Character in my guild has BiS gear by now and we still go into those Master Mode Operations as often as we did when nobody had any 248's.
I don't know my fellow guildies motives, but I have 7 alts that I can gear.
And if not for any gear then I just like to do something that at least attempts to make me think about what I do.
Evolixe | Exilove
Disciples of Babylon - Darth Malgus
Shadow/Sin Discord Server

Romeugues's Avatar


Romeugues
06.29.2017 , 01:07 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
Oh, i also forgot to mention another problem with gear disparity... since imps dominating almost all servers (except teh and t3m4) imps are winning much more, therefore - getting best gear FASTER. I noticed that Because of this imps dominance became even more serious than before. For example on tre reps mananged to win at least 3-3 fights per day, however now because of bolster being low, and imperial domination still high reps are now win hardly 1-2 games per day lol, due to great gear disparity between imps and reps. So gear disparity and low bolster also makes it harder for reps to fight 246/248 geared imps, and reps weee already bad as hell but now their chances are even lower LOL
I don't think Bioware can make pub players better, it's a shame there's a dramatic faction imbalance in PVP but pubs need to step up their game if they want that to change and by step up their game I don't mean running premades in regs with voice chat, but I don't think that will ever happen because the Empire is seen as being cooler or whatever.

As for bolster changes, I think it's fine as it it, I think perhaps the majority of the PVP player base would be very happy to see PVP gearing go back to how it was before, wz comms and pvp gear, it was extremely easy to gear up alts that way and there's pretty much nothing you can with galactic command to make that easier, the whole system is alt unfriendly.

Ibokagain's Avatar


Ibokagain
06.29.2017 , 01:08 PM | #107
Bolster to 240 would be fine as others had mentioned and fact you can buy/make 246 gear. I agree with many that the cost for 242 / 248 gear UC should be lowered. I also think it would be a great idea to not have any bolster in ranked warzones/arenas.

Elssha's Avatar


Elssha
06.29.2017 , 01:12 PM | #108
I would say 240 - gear should matter at least a little, but new players and fresh 70s should be able to try it without feeling like they walked into a school of piranhas.

Would it be possible to scale the bolster with valor? Maybe make 1-20 have 248 bolster, then 20+ 240? That would give them a padding the first few games while they learn the maps, etc or get used to toons/gain left....

I'd also suggest an added requirement for ranked; toon at 25 (or lower that to 20, aka when bolster drops) BUT you also have to have a valor 50+ in your legacy.

omaan's Avatar


omaan
06.29.2017 , 01:12 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Romeugues View Post
I don't think Bioware can make pub players better, it's a shame there's a dramatic faction imbalance in PVP but pubs need to step up their game if they want that to change and by step up their game I don't mean running premades in regs with voice chat, but I don't think that will ever happen because the Empire is seen as being cooler or whatever.

As for bolster changes, I think it's fine as it it, I think perhaps the majority of the PVP player base would be very happy to see PVP gearing go back to how it was before, wz comms and pvp gear, it was extremely easy to gear up alts that way and there's pretty much nothing you can with galactic command to make that easier, the whole system is alt unfriendly.
Anyway with 242 bolster reps which are mainly in 230-240 gear have more chances to win 248 imps than of bolster would be 238 don't you think? Because with 238 bolster reps with 230-240 gear have even less chances... much less.

royren's Avatar


royren
06.29.2017 , 01:12 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by XakTsaroth View Post
Bolster should remain as is. Gear disparity exists on occassion till you overcome it but it doesn't hamper you very much. You are playing on a team (coming from a person who ques solo 99% of the time so all I wind up with is PUG) in PvP. Not all opponents will be better geared. The talk is that it takes long to gear up. That's subjective so I won't counter however, if you say that you'll be facing opponents that are stronger simply because they have better gear then how can it be so since it takes just as long for them; alts considered - even longer.

Another thing the gearing does is force choices to have some weight. In the end you will have skill be the determining factor. Are you playing objectives? Do you simply wish to be able to solo/duel? Ranked is its own beast due to 4v4 and ability to simply concentrate on killing one player or overpower an imbalanced team. Yes, sometimes you get an even match where skill and dare I say a measure of luck is a factor but not often unfortunately. As for gear, one can do ranked when they are ready and geared same as high end PvE. Don't see a problem here.

I choose option 1.
Agree completely, PLEASE KEEP BOLSTER AS IT IS, or even lower say 232

This is MMORPG gear matters and you grind hard for it now so it should matter more, you will feel rewarded when you playing pvp with with full 248 gear.

I also have lots of alts, I do HM ops and get 242 armor piece and use left over 248/246 mods from my main, I don't feel my alts are under-geared at all, if you feel like your alt is undergeared, then grind for it and get it better geard!

I understand all you saying pvp is more about skills not gears, but if so, WHY DONT GO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGEND? OR STARCRAFT? no gears there all you need is your skills / apm, but in this game, GEAR MATTERS

and I agree with Xak, pvp is team work, not 1 on 1, so a bit under-geared is OK as long as you are good at playing it, if bolster is 250 for all, THEN THIS GAME IS NOT MMORPG ANYMORE

p.s one thing BW should try is make command stash legacy wide, so alts can take T4 earpiece / implants / relics from main (I have so many duplication of those on my main and feels bad when disintegrate them)