Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Forced Rename for preexisting characters on Destination server

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Forced Rename for preexisting characters on Destination server

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Valethar
09.18.2012 , 04:58 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Sutii View Post
Hello Chronox,

We are aware that many players are being requested to rename some of their characters as a result of the Server Consolidation Process. Please rest assured that a number of differing factors were taken into account in order to ensure that the process was handled as fairly as possible, as we do appreciate how important character names are to our players.

More information can be found in our Server Consolidation FAQs, most notably the Will I keep my name when my server is consolidated? page.

Please also see the post from Joveth Gonzalez on this matter which I have quoted below.

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

Thanks.
What a completely BS answer. Players that have been on the server from Day 1 have to rename because you transferred people in from other servers?

***?

You're already having issues with subscriptions falling. congratulations on finding yet another way to encourage people to quit.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Valethar
09.18.2012 , 04:59 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Pizzaness View Post
Could you please inform us what your procedure was for resolving naming conflicts? blindfolded monkey throwing darts at a wall?
This. As well as copious amount of ineptitude and stupidity.
"Due to the massive loss of subscribers in our flagship title, we decided to cancel Blizzcon this year, because frankly, we don't think there's anyone left who would show up."

Pizzaness
09.18.2012 , 05:07 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Valethar View Post
This. As well as copious amount of ineptitude and stupidity.
I honestly don't care what procedure they used, as long as they at least tell us. Comon Bioware, throw your subscribers a bone on this one.

Valethar
09.18.2012 , 05:09 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Pizzaness View Post
I honestly don't care what procedure they used, as long as they at least tell us. Comon Bioware, throw your subscribers a bone on this one.
They're rather good an boning subscribers, aren't they?

Pizzaness
09.18.2012 , 05:12 PM | #25
They're rather good an boning subscribers, aren't they?
Not quite the interpretation I was going for, but somewhat accurate in this situation. I was fine renaming my republic characters during server transfers, because I knew that I was going to someone else's turf. I also understand that these are technically new servers that only retain the names of previous servers. What I don't understand, though, is why you seem to have no method to the madness of renaming the characters. Sutii, now would be a great time to pull through and help sort this out, or make a sticky/informative FAQ to tell us the renaming method.

Adoramei
09.18.2012 , 05:14 PM | #26
I might as well have kept my characters on the dead server and waited for consolidation. That way, when I moved, someone else would have gotten their names flagged and I would have been able to keep my original ones that i had to change. Jeez.

There are certain things that matter to certain people. This is one thing that matters to me- and I don't ask much. Not even a warning or anything. I mean.. they did tell us that they were going to have some people change their names, but they never even hinted that the people who had "willingly" moved would have been forced to change. I mean.. some of the characters are from dead servers and I'm really not sure how many people there really are actively playing on said dead servers.

Thought we were done with this.

Valethar
09.18.2012 , 05:37 PM | #27
Wait.. If someone was on an Origin server and had to change their name in June, then the guys who were on Destination servers all along get boned and forced to change names?

WTH?

What an idiot way to run a railroad.

Royox
09.18.2012 , 06:36 PM | #28
I'm from Tomb of Freedon Nadd since the day this game came out. Today Bioware is telling me I have to change 3 of my chararcter names....ON TOMB OF FREEDON NADD. Not today Bioware. This is my Origin server. I have more rights than the ones who didn't change servers when they could...and now my name is stolen by some random guy from a server with 3 ppl.

Pizzaness
09.18.2012 , 06:37 PM | #29
Wait.. If someone was on an Origin server and had to change their name in June, then the guys who were on Destination servers all along get boned and forced to change names?

WTH?

What an idiot way to run a railroad.
Yeah, it sorta has seemed to be like all the inactive characters made by people in launch that left, or the older characters, are the ones that get to keep their names. There has never been a Fuer on either Fatman or PotF, the two servers that became the new PotF. I know this because I had a Fuer on both. That means that the likely inactive person from a dead server got my name, because they either had their character a higher level or had it longer. (I made mine in February, and only leveled it for a while after 1.3 then quit to level it with someone later when f2p was announced). I'm getting more and more irritated the longer this goes on without an explaination as to how the names were decided, because it means that Bioware, the company we are PAYING to play this game, is refusing to tell us what exactly we are paying for. It's like if you were to buy mobile phone service, say from Verizon or someone, and then, after 2 years of the same phone number, they said, "We're giving your mobile phone number to someone else who terminated their contract around the same time you started yours, because they said that they had the number first and used it for a longer period of time than you did."

fyfch
09.18.2012 , 06:39 PM | #30
So i log on and find out that "AGAIN" I have toons that need renamed. It was bad enough the first time the sever change happened( 3 toons renamed because someone already had them on the new server i transfered to), but now I have established a story line and the name change totaly wrecks all the effort i put into creating a story. I really do not understand why if i was already on the server if someone was transfered that had the same name, why do I have have to sacrifice and change my name. This is just poor planning on Biowares part, if someone is already has a name and someone transfers to that server, the person that transfers in should be the one that has to change not the person who has already established a name. I am due for account renewal, and I am getting tired of having to change things every few months.

"If you do not stand for something, you'll fall for anything"