Discussion Topic: Game Update 5.4 and the Next Roadmap

KeithKanneg

You think 89% did that huh? Even speed leveling in PvE

You could Flashpoint your way to level cap even at 50, It's what I did for half my characters because I didn't play this game to fall in love with a twi'lek being that i'm no longer 13.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly the point, most kids in the 90s want a lambo and even though they grew up and never could afford it they still admire the nature of it.

Again, raids are what makes these game special, and it's being neglected. Ultimately it doesn't matter, this game will be over by the time anthem is released as it will take the rest of EA's mmo development budget. So enjoy the dead game while you can.

People doing lots and lots of things alongside each other is what makes these games special. People having fun together is what makes these games special. I am a raider and couldnt give a rats *** if someone streams. I dont deserve a medal for raiding. You could make a game with people flinging dried bantha dung at each other and as long as it is star wars, it wont be dead. That doesnt mean that having nerf fest in the middle of a dry spot in content was a good idea, but it will take more than that to kill swtor. EA could do it at any time they choose. They get to decide what revenue levels are acceptable, we wont know to the message comes across our screens. Just keep playing if you have fun, and see where this goes. Our input doesnt matter a whole lot anyway.

you're the minority then, most people do.

I seriously doubt that, I've never known a single gamer who enjoys watching other random people play their games, unless it's a very short YouTube video on how to get past something or other. Either you're playing the game or you're off living the rest of your life.

If you haven't already, check out Ashes of Creation. Should be released late next year, it's a gorgeous looking mmo with trading, caravans, open world pvp etc. The creators worked on previous mmos like swg. The reports of the demise of mmo's has been greatly exaggerated. There is a lot of hype building for that game.

Sadly mmos never work out unless they are triple A funded, but my hope is that the sandbox is revived and expanded on in this genre. Not impressed with ashes, but I'm glad to see the features returning.

I seriously doubt that, I've never known a single gamer who enjoys watching other random people play their games, unless it's a very short YouTube video on how to get past something or other. Either you're playing the game or you're off living the rest of your life.

you also play a dead game.

You could Flashpoint your way to level cap even at 50, It's what I did for half my characters because I didn't play this game to fall in love with a twi'lek being that i'm no longer 13.

Without getting your ship? There was no level sync. There was no XP for mobs more than 5 levels below you. There was no GF. How did you do that exactly?

It's a shame triple A companies don't feel the same, like it or not if a game isn't trending on twitch it's got a short shelf-life

No, it could be you just have an over inflated sense of self importance. People want to play a game, not watch some nobody play it for them.

No, it could be you just have an over inflated sense of self importance. People want to play a game, not watch some nobody play it for them.

It's depressing to me how corporations think social media is this massive profit-generator (it's not, to some. Think GM "unfriending" Facebook a couple years ago) because they're making decisions with content I enjoy to cater to children and latter-half of the definition of millenials who are happy watching games and not actually playing them.

dontbeswg has a point from a corporate perspective. They gotta have those eyes of social media watchers so they'll buy a pack of Mountain Dew when they see the little ad at the beginning of the stream. Doesn't matter what they're streaming. If 10,000 eyes are on a FIFA stream and 10 are on a SWTOR stream, EA will see SWTOR as a massive failure and have less of an incentive to prioritize budget for this game over FIFA.

I share the cynical view in this case. A game I love could be affected by younger millenials who actually enjoy watching more than playing.

Edited by aerockyul

Without getting your ship? There was no level sync. There was no XP for mobs more than 5 levels below you. There was no GF. How did you do that exactly?

you didn't need a ship in 1.0 all the operations were on the flag ship, as far as leveling once you get to the fleet you can (could) flashpoint to 50.

Edited by dontbeswg

I didn't make it up. At the one year anniversary they gave us this info-graphic:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/news-article/20141126

Of the 57 MILLION characters created, only 6.8 million (11.52%) ever got their starter ships. After one full year, only 11.52% of the players ever got through the second planet story. There was no summons back then, no guild ships...your personal spaceship was the only means you had to traverse anywhere but Fleet.

So...my assertion that most players never even completed their first story at the launch of this game, seems like a reasonable and accurate assumption given the facts we have been given.

Hold up did you just say 11.52% of characters in one sentence then 11.52% of players in the next? By george I think you did, you do realize those 2 things are not the same thing right? You realize those stats are 3 years after launch right?

If there was 2 million or whatever people who bought the game at launch you are contending over 1 million of those never finished a story. They paid to buy a game and never bothered finishing even one single story ... so far you've no stats to support that at all other than comparing 2 things that aren't the same.

I have 2 apples, would anyone like one? One of them is actually an orange but I'll call it an apple anyway because internet.

there are a large segment of the gaming population making a living through this medium... like it or not there are facts.

I don't doubt the number of people using twitch/streaming/etc. I highly doubt a large segment of them are actually making a real living from it. That would be more like your example earlier about the truly elite (.00000000001%) that would be making that much.

I don't doubt the number of people using twitch/streaming/etc. I highly doubt a large segment of them are actually making a real living from it. That would be more like your example earlier about the truly elite (.00000000001%) that would be making that much.

Its more likely to make it big streaming than athletics, and again there is a strong correlation to popular games and streaming views. Developers are using this data as a vehicle to develop games, and what's worse for this type of game is that the games that are popular are cheaper to develop.

I'm really worried about this type of game because it does not fit the modern model of a successful game, and what the player base that is loudest in this game doesn't understand is that building this game against its intended model is not helping.