Are people prepared to possibly lose decorations when the servers merge?

Ratajack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister and I were talking about this last night. For example, I bought serval items directly off the GNT/cartel market on separate servers but overall I'm going to end up at a net loss because I'm stuck with the cap for my highest number of a given decoration. Yes, I can keep them where they are forever, but that still means I lose them if I accidentally move the decoration or close a stronghold down to get a new one. This is unfair, thankfully most of the one I bought was with in-game credits and I only bought a few bundles of decorations with my cartel coins. I feel bad for players that may have bought more price items, even if they paid with in-game credit as some these decorations cost millions. I would be mad if I bought those Rep decoration bundles, painting bundles, or Christmas one on multiple servers, as these aren't that cheap. Let alone if you paid millions to get a rare decoration on two servers now you only have one of them. I think they need to make sure the system counts how many decorations a person actually has in all their house.

My sister and I were talking about this last night. For example, I bought serval items directly off the GNT/cartel market on separate servers but overall I'm going to end up at a net loss because I'm stuck with the cap for my highest number of a given decoration. Yes, I can keep them where they are forever, but that still means I lose them if I accidentally move the decoration or close a stronghold down to get a new one. This is unfair, thankfully most of the one I bought was with in-game credits and I only bought a few bundles of decorations with my cartel coins. I feel bad for players that may have bought more price items, even if they paid with in-game credit as some these decorations cost millions. I would be mad if I bought those Rep decoration bundles, painting bundles, or Christmas one on multiple servers, as these aren't that cheap. Let alone if you paid millions to get a rare decoration on two servers now you only have one of them. I think they need to make sure the system counts how many decorations a person actually has in all their house.

I actually consider myself lucky now despite the 2k coin loss worth of decos I'm expecting.

I had been hunting around various servers for another life day fireplace to put on a server other than where I have 2 already, and in the same set of servers that would be merged together. 25m was too rich for me to buy the fireplace so I held off.

Lucky me.

And this is why they should've made CM decorations account unlocks like armor, weapons, and mounts, with an interface to purchase additional ones similar to the guild interface.

Unfortunately, there is no way for them to determine how the decoration was purchased or unlocked, so there is no good solution for this.

For example, I made the decision some time after strongholds were released, that CM decorations would be unlocked on my main server, and then a character transferred to any server i was going to play on, so that those same decorations could be unlocked there.

So if you would think a solution such as, they can tell what CM decorations a person has unlocked, and could add those at least for unlocked, well unfortunately my example would show the flaw there. Because if I had 1 spa on my main unlocked, transferred a character to the other servers that will make up Star Forge for example, then after the merge, I would have 5 spas unlocked, even though i did nothing to get the other 4.

I do sympathize with the situation, especially for those decorations from CM packs or bundles.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work like it does when you xfer from one server to the next though?

IE... if I've added anything to my legacy on TEH and I went to Shadowlands... it usually bumped up any decos I had from TEH and carried them over to Shadowlands. Likewise if I bought and used anything there and took it back-- it increased that number on TEH.

To me, I'd think that'd mean Johnny should get all five of his GTN Kiosks in the example. Not just one.

I hope that's right for the merge-- if not... yeah... that is gonna suck for many people. But I have to think it'd work like regular transfers Unless redundant. IE... you just had one GTN Kiosk and bounced around servers via xfer. Then you'd still only have one GTN Kiosk upon merger.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work like it does when you xfer from one server to the next though?

IE... if I've added anything to my legacy on TEH and I went to Shadowlands... it usually bumped up any decos I had from TEH and carried them over to Shadowlands. Likewise if I bought and used anything there and took it back-- it increased that number on TEH.

To me, I'd think that'd mean Johnny should get all five of his GTN Kiosks in the example. Not just one.

I hope that's right for the merge-- if not... yeah... that is gonna suck for many people. But I have to think it'd work like regular transfers Unless redundant. IE... you just had one GTN Kiosk and bounced around servers via xfer. Then you'd still only have one GTN Kiosk upon merger.

Decorations have never been additive, at least not in my experience.

Yes, you can end up with more decorations on the "destination server" than you had before the transfer, but the number is based on the highest number of that decoration in either legacy, NOT the total number of that decoration.

Example:

If I have 20 basic chairs on server 1 and 2 basic chairs on server 2 and transfer a character from server 1 to server 2, then I have 20 basic chairs on server 2, NOT 22.

• 4 weeks later...
Decorations have never been additive, at least not in my experience.

Yes, you can end up with more decorations on the "destination server" than you had before the transfer, but the number is based on the highest number of that decoration in either legacy, NOT the total number of that decoration.

Example:

If I have 20 basic chairs on server 1 and 2 basic chairs on server 2 and transfer a character from server 1 to server 2, then I have 20 basic chairs on server 2, NOT 22.

I have to question this too. Are we sure this is the case, because I've made several transfers over the last 2 years. I understand it's not additive if you do the back and forth, but I seem to remember the game system remembers old decos but adds new ones to that particular deco list unless there's a cap.

In the example above it seems to me that you would get 22 chairs but if you moved back again it would not go to 44. I get that. But now if you bought 2 more on sever 1 and moved back again, you'd have 24. I swear I've seen my decos merge like this. I certainly could be wrong. No way to test it now.

Well since each iteration of the stronghold will be different, overlays of deco 1 from EH onto deco 1 Mark 2 slot on JC should not happen. Nar Shaddaa 1 should be the copy from EH, Nar Shadda 2 the copy from JC. IF I understand their explainations well anyway. But yeah, fubars are bound to happen. If I have to pick up all my decos I will have a lovely fit of crying and probably drink an adult beverage. I'll rant a bit at my monitor. Then I'll redecorate the thing.

I have to question this too. Are we sure this is the case, because I've made several transfers over the last 2 years. I understand it's not additive if you do the back and forth, but I seem to remember the game system remembers old decos but adds new ones to that particular deco list unless there's a cap.

In the example above it seems to me that you would get 22 chairs but if you moved back again it would not go to 44. I get that. But now if you bought 2 more on sever 1 and moved back again, you'd have 24. I swear I've seen my decos merge like this. I certainly could be wrong. No way to test it now.

It did not work the way you describe for me.

I had multiple legacies across multiple servers. I completed the "introduction to strongholds" quest or mission on multiple characters on each of those servers. I had therefore acquire multiple basic chairs on both legacies legitimately. When I transferred a character from server with the higher legacy and the higher number of decorations to the server with the lower legacy, the number of basic chairs I had did not equal the total number of basic chairs I had acquired legitimately on both servers. The result was that both servers showed the same number of basic chairs-- the number I had acquired on the server with the higher legacy.

As I have stated before, I did not "lose" any basic chairs at that point, because the basic chairs I had legitimately acquired on the server with the higher legacy were still there on that server.

When the servers merge, however, that will not be the case. I will "lose" all of the legitimately acquired basic chairs in excess of the highest number of basic chairs on any single legacy merged into each of the two respective new servers.

It did not work the way you describe for me.

I had multiple legacies across multiple servers. I completed the "introduction to strongholds" quest or mission on multiple characters on each of those servers. I had therefore acquire multiple basic chairs on both legacies legitimately. When I transferred a character from server with the higher legacy and the higher number of decorations to the server with the lower legacy, the number of basic chairs I had did not equal the total number of basic chairs I had acquired legitimately on both servers. The result was that both servers showed the same number of basic chairs-- the number I had acquired on the server with the higher legacy.

As I have stated before, I did not "lose" any basic chairs at that point, because the basic chairs I had legitimately acquired on the server with the higher legacy were still there on that server.

When the servers merge, however, that will not be the case. I will "lose" all of the legitimately acquired basic chairs in excess of the highest number of basic chairs on any single legacy merged into each of the two respective new servers.

I'll yield. I wasn't sure really. I update my legacy a lot. This is bad.

I'm prepared for anything and everything at this point. Screaming and whining after the merge won't do my blood pressure any good so what happens happens and I'll plug along.

I'm with this guy ^. Whatever's going to happen will happen and I'm well aware there's not a darned thing for me to do about it so I'm rolling with the punches.

I don't think I'll be losing anything. I have fraps documenting my belongings and my strongholds, and we were assured that nothing in that regard would be lost. If they are, well, then I'll file a ticket. I'd prefer not to have to, but if that's what it comes down to, there isn't much else that can be done.

I'll probably close the lesser strongholds on the servers I don't spend much time on anyway.

If I understand the FAQ correctly, this means that when the servers are merged, he likely will be left with ONE GTN kiosk, not the 5 he purchased.

No, he will have 5 Kiosks, but he may not be able to buy any more if 5 is over the max for KIosks.

Another factor that BW may not have considered is what happens if the same hook has a different decoration on each server? Which decoration takes priority?

From the way I understand it, each Stronghold is a separate entity. They don't get merged - only the total quantity of decorations gets merged. You could, in that case, actually have more than one of a particular stronghold.

My understanding is that the highest Legacy counts (so for me that's on Progenitor) as the maximum. The (paltry) decoration unlocks that I've actually used from Red Eclipse and Tomb of Freedon Nadd will not be added, but the Nar Shaddaa Strongholds themselves will. So chances are I'll have my 4 full and 2 in progress from Progenitor (which had better stay as they are) and then two suddenly empty Nar Shaddaas that I can delete or redecorate as I see fit.

Time will tell.

I'm not too worried about it, because what use do I have for 5 strongholds on Nar Shaddaa with one kiosk each? I get the same experience for all my characters if I keep one of the strongholds with one of the kiosks. I can also keep all of the strongholds and retain the server-specific experience for each character.

Many people also copied their legacies to other servers and the deco unlocks were copied along with it, too, so not paid for, then added to it. It would be logistics from hell to figure out who deserves to keep what.

I'm not too worried about it, because what use do I have for 5 strongholds on Nar Shaddaa with one kiosk each? I get the same experience for all my characters if I keep one of the strongholds with one of the kiosks. I can also keep all of the strongholds and retain the server-specific experience for each character.

Many people also copied their legacies to other servers and the deco unlocks were copied along with it, too, so not paid for, then added to it. It would be logistics from hell to figure out who deserves to keep what.

Not sure how you get not paid for. I copied over to get legacy unlocks while I made alts. I haven't added any new decos so actually my deco unlocks are exactly the same on EH and JC. I only actually opened my free house (Nar Shaddaa) since that one is free to 'reactivate' (if you got the free Nar being subscribed when they put housing in).

It obviously isn't decorated the same as the one on JC. I used a different theme of which decos I put down, but since it should copy into my now 'extra' Nar house that shouldn't matter.

Edited by Kyrra_T

Not sure how you get not paid for. I copied over to get legacy unlocks while I made alts. I haven't added any new decos so actually my deco unlocks are exactly the same on EH and JC. I only actually opened my free house (Nar Shaddaa) since that one is free to 'reactivate' (if you got the free Nar being subscribed when they put housing in).

That's what I mean, you didn't pay anything extra for the deco unlocks that were copied to another server (= the unlocks were not paid for).

That's what I mean, you didn't pay anything extra for the deco unlocks that were copied to another server (= the unlocks were not paid for).

Ok... So I guess I'm not getting it. When you copy a legacy over all your unlocks come. You don't need to re-do having Legendary again because you've done it once already. Decorations are the same. You have them already, this clearly doesn't double them since the ones you have on the 'old' server stay, just as your Legendary status on the 'old' server stays. Are you saying we should have to start from scratch in all things on every server or pay for them? Or <as is often the case> am I just not getting your point?

Concrete example for those not understanding the issue. I purchased 1 GTN kiosk on each of the following servers: Ebon Hawk, Jedi Covenant, Shadowlands, and Jung Ma. That's a total of 4 GTN kiosks that cost me an approximate total of 2 million credits. After the mergers, so long as they are in place in strongholds, I will still have 4. However, my total for the legacy on Star Forge will be 1, so I will never be able to pick up or move any of those kiosks without losing them. I will also not be able to add any more kiosks unless I purchase 4 more, and then I'll have only 5 instead of 8. Bottom line is, I purchased 4, and will be left with 1 as the total unlocked for the "new" legacy on Star Forge, so I'm effectively losing three.

Concrete example for those not understanding the issue. I purchased 1 GTN kiosk on each of the following servers: Ebon Hawk, Jedi Covenant, Shadowlands, and Jung Ma. That's a total of 4 GTN kiosks that cost me an approximate total of 2 million credits. After the mergers, so long as they are in place in strongholds, I will still have 4. However, my total for the legacy on Star Forge will be 1, so I will never be able to pick up or move any of those kiosks without losing them. I will also not be able to add any more kiosks unless I purchase 4 more, and then I'll have only 5 instead of 8. Bottom line is, I purchased 4, and will be left with 1 as the total unlocked for the "new" legacy on Star Forge, so I'm effectively losing three.

But from your character's perspective you're not losing anything, any functionality. Each character on each server only had access to one kiosk, could only place it in one stronghold. That's how it will also be for all characters on the new server.

I do understand where you're coming from (and imagine those people who didn't spend credits but cartel coins), but I guess that's one more death we have to die. I guess people can try to get compensated, but I doubt that will happen because it's too much time and effort to separate for each player account, which unlocks were just copied and which were actually purchased and how. Since none of your characters loses functionality, and in fact, all characters gain the most/best/highest achieved in your legacy, it's not too bad IMO.

Since none of your characters loses functionality, and in fact, all characters gain the most/best/highest achieved in your legacy, it's not too bad IMO.

All of those legacies are more or less equal, so no advantage to me there.