Faction change ?

Yatachi

Greetings,

As far i understand, we can choose to fight with the Republic or with the Empire regardless of your current faction. However, in this last patch(5.9), at the end we have the option to contact the Republic or the Empire.

Does this have any impact in staying as a empire character ?

If i side with the Republic does it mean that instead of Imperial fleet i will be in Republic fleet ? Instead of Dromund Kaas i'll be in Coruscant ?

Will this be a faction change at 100% ?

Or

Will this be a " Republic suppport " only in Iokath temporarily ? If this is the case, can we choose to fight for any side we want at daily basis as i heard rumors ?

Kind regards,

Greetings,

As far i understand, we can choose to fight with the Republic or with the Empire regardless of your current faction. However, in this last patch(5.9), at the end we have the option to contact the Republic or the Empire.

Does this have any impact in staying as a empire character ?

If i side with the Republic does it mean that instead of Imperial fleet i will be in Republic fleet ? Instead of Dromund Kaas i'll be in Coruscant ?

Will this be a faction change at 100% ?

Or

Will this be a " Republic suppport " only in Iokath temporarily ? If this is the case, can we choose to fight for any side we want at daily basis as i heard rumors ?

Kind regards,

We don't know yet. I wouldn't like to speculate when we'll find out, except to say that it will be after the release of patch 5.9. :eek:

For now we don't know, chances are it won't be a 100% faction change, you'll keep being a Imp/Rep player just like on Iokath but lore-wise you'll be supporting your opposite faction. Maybe this is the chance for them to introduce faction changes in 6.0 when you get to decide who you will support, I know the vanilla game had a few chances here and there but you couldn't do it because of the class stories

Let's say Trooper left to the Empire along Havoc Squad, you'd have to write another class story essentially and this also would require other classes to have the option to defect.

u won't be able to switch factions , the " contact other faction " option at the end is just a small comeback from the iokath story

This will probably be the case. While it could be easy to see the transition from KJ to SW or JC to SI, going from Trooper to IA or Smuggler to BH would be more difficult to pull off from a story perspective. This makes me believe that the Alliance will formally become an "associated power" of the Sith Empire or the Republic--assuming in 5.10 we don't see the Alliance formally dissolve. If the Alliance dissolves, it just seems far more likely that characters would return to their original faction.

This will probably be the case. While it could be easy to see the transition from KJ to SW or JC to SI, going from Trooper to IA or Smuggler to BH would be more difficult to pull off from a story perspective. This makes me believe that the Alliance will formally become an "associated power" of the Sith Empire or the Republic--assuming in 5.10 we don't see the Alliance formally dissolve. If the Alliance dissolves, it just seems far more likely that characters would return to their original faction.

I do hope they give the option for you to stick with your choice on Iokath if you've chosen the opposite's faction, from a lore sense at least.

I think that we all know what we want now ( I do that is for sure ) ..

IF we get to change factions, there needs to be a cut off point for it --- like a deadline in the game---

"at such and such point in the story, you will be given a choice of faction --- chose wisely, it is final "

that would be ok with me --- I have decided to go republic for all my toons --- even the one who went to empire ...

but we need to be warned first ... ( as I said, I have made up my mind already, but some may not have .... )

just a thought ......

Edited by Tashia

"at such and such point in the story, you will be given a choice of faction --- chose wisely, it is final "

I'm amused by the notion that in the current state of the game, that is exactly what we have. You create a new character, and there is (currently) no way to change that if you keep that character around - your initial choice of faction is "final".

And yes, I realise that's not what you meant. Given that every character who passes through that part of the story, at least in theory(1), has finished his class story, the interactions of "faction-changed" characters and others are relatively straight-forward to implement. So sure, why not?

(1) The hole in that logic is that a start-at-1 character can use a Master's Datacron and then go directly to War on Iokath, and this does not "autocomplete" the class story.

I don't think this is correct considering after the flashpoint (5.9)

you are given a choice at the end where Lana asks you who to contac

t

. You can chose Republic or Empire and my sith sorceress and agent told Lana she hopes she can work with the Republic

so it doesn't seem to be that you have to return to your previous faction.

Edited by casirabit

I'm curious what you think should happen if I pick differently between Iokath and Nathema...

I don't know, maybe a third chance at making an alliance with either? Like "This is the last time you can choose." Mostly because I don't know if the Nathema choice will count or it's just a throwback line to pay lip-service. At least with my Imp turned traitor I still got an mail from Vowrawn to return to the Empire so it makes me think when the expansion does come we'll have another chance to either betray our faction or to return to it.

Our faction choice made at the end of Nathema when we tell Lana "Contact ... " does not decide anything in terms of which faction we'll be a part of in the future expansion.

Charles' Tweet.

I really hope that means "you can go back on your word" (given that, assuming it's going to be awhile coming out yet, some people might've made that decision six months or a year ago by then), rather than "you're going back with your original faction no matter how little sense it makes". Really hope... but don't expect. :(

Our faction choice made at the end of Nathema when we tell Lana "Contact ... " does not decide anything in terms of which faction we'll be a part of in the future expansion.

Charles' Tweet.

While that is nice for those that want to change their minds, I do hope that we are able to actually change faction as there is no way my sorceress or agent want to be part of the Empire anymore.

While that is nice for those that want to change their minds, I do hope that we are able to actually change faction as there is no way my sorceress or agent want to be part of the Empire anymore.

I'm with you, even if the opposite is true for me lol. My Jedi Knight main is so disillusioned with the Republic after this entire KOTFE/ET fiasco that she doesn't want to go back. She wants to join the Empire so I'm hoping we'll be able to choose our faction, not be defaulted back to where we began. I'd hoped/thought that our words to Lana were to make that choice but then seeing this thread, I wasn't so sure anymore hence asking Charles on Twitter. Crossing my fingers they'll give us a choice though.

There is no way that my Pub toons will ever go back to the Republic after getting no assistance against the Eternal Empire. Acina placed herself at great personal risk by personally commanding the fleet that came to our aid. She is a leader capable of making bold decisions and following through--even though the PC may not even wish to ally with the Empire.

There is no way that my Pub toons will ever go back to the Republic after getting no assistance against the Eternal Empire. Acina placed herself at great personal risk by personally commanding the fleet that came to our aid. She is a leader capable of making bold decisions and following through--even though the PC may not even wish to ally with the Empire.

I'm with you. As I posted elsewhere the other day;

As for the Republic, my Jedi struggles with the idea of going back--she was abandoned by the Republic. They essentially wrote her off and treated her with hostility even once the Outlander's identity became known. They offered no help whatsoever either, unlike the Empire regardless of motives, yet on Iokath essentially expect her to fall in line again to aid them. Sorry, no, where were you when my Alliance needed the support? Where were you when I was out there fighting these battles, trying to protect the galaxy, sheltering other members of the Republic you failed to aid? After all my Jedi has done for them in her years serving the Order and Republic, they treated her as an enemy in her hour of need. I'm sad to say in my eyes, the Republic's really become the villain throughout this expansion, I've never felt more disappointed.

My Jedi won't fall to the dark side, she wasn't corrupted or enticed. She simply knows who's had her back and who'll be the first to shut her out when the going gets tough.

And it's not really a case of "You owe me for all I've done for the Republic" but when they turned their backs on her they also threw out all values she believed to be fighting for. She gets that the Empire isn't perfect either, in her years as a Knight she's seen and heard plenty, but Acina coming to her aid and their pleasant endeavor together really meant something to her.

And it's not really a case of "You owe me for all I've done for the Republic" but when they turned their backs on her they also threw out all values she believed to be fighting for.

Essentially the same motivation that drives Aric Jorgan to be willing to work for Darth Nox / The Wrath. Under normal circumstances (he even says so) he'd be willing to give several body parts for the chance to shoot Nox, but he works for you because he sees it as (much) less bad than working for the Republic.

• 5 months later...
I love the story ideal of a character becoming disenchanted with their faction (I mean who doesn't get sick of politicians on the Rep side or maybe hating slavery on the Imp side?) and switching sides. The main story line for my Legacy is a Family were the mother and youngest daughter were captured and enslaved on an Imperial controlled planet. The mother died, but the child was trained as Sith. The story evolving into her being found and redeemed by her father (a Trooper) would be a fun chapter for me to add.

For force user classes, defecting to the other faction should be easy, since there are already precedents : Jaesa Willsaam ( a Jedi Consular - Shadow spec) and Ashara Zavros ( Jedi knight) becoming Sith apprentices.

Except that:

* You have their classes wrong. Jaesa's class is "Jaesa Wilsaam", while Ashara's is "Ashara Zavros". (See below)

* Neither of them is a player character.

Here is the "see below"...

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the manipulations below on a Warrior or Inquisitor. I have no reason to believe that the results will be different.

Disclaimer: I don't know how it really works, but what I describe below has a certain "cleanness" and "symmetry" that are intellectually appealing. It's how *I* would have designed it.

It's absolutely certain that Elara Dorne's class, despite appearances, is not "Trooper" or any Trooper derivative. She cannot use gear that's marked "Requires Trooper" (I tried it way back when). Players cannot use gear marked "Requires Elara Dorne". The conceptually simplest (seen from inside the game) way to implement this kind of restriction is to have each companion be the sole member of a unique class named for the companion.

Elara's class, in the original game, would have looked like this:

* Max armour weight: Heavy.

* Mainstat: Aim

* Mainhand weapon: Blaster (pistol)

* Offhand weapon: Generator

* (List of abilities)

Any gear she wears will be "not-class-restricted" or "Requires class: Elara Dorne".

In the same way, Jaesa's class is *not* Jedi Consular. It's almost certain that if you can find a piece of armour that's for Consulars, no Jaesa will be able to wear it, just as Elara cannot wear armour that's for Troopers.

In the same way, Jaesa's class is *not* Jedi Consular. It's almost certain that if you can find a piece of armour that's for Consulars, no Jaesa will be able to wear it, just as Elara cannot wear armour that's for Troopers.

Confirmed. I have a Synthweaver with schematics from way back, before 4.0, and a few of them are restricted to JC/JK only, and DSJ cannot wear them.

OK then, explain to me why Darth Marr's class is not " Darth Marr" but "Dark Commander" , please.

An error, if you can call it that, in the name of his class. If his gear says "Requires Dark Commander" on it, that means they decided that his class should be called that rather than "Darth Marr". Nobody else has that as a class, though.

But I notice you're quibbling about the way the companion's "sole and unique" class is named, not the fact that there is one.

An error, if you can call it that, in the name of his class. If his gear says "Requires Dark Commander" on it, that means they decided that his class should be called that rather than "Darth Marr". Nobody else has that as a class, though.

But I notice you're quibbling about the way the companion's "sole and unique" class is named, not the fact that there is one.

Why do you insist with " consular gear Jaesa cannot wear" or " trooper

gear Elara cannot wear" ? I'm talking about the story, not about gear! In the story, you corrupt a Jedi Padawan, a girl using a double bladed saber , a weapon used by all jedi consular shadow spec. I don't care if the gear says " requires Jaesa" or "requires WinnieThePooh", lorewise speaking Jaesa IS , as a Jedi Padawan, a consular.

Edited by AdornedBlood