Guide to Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint

Hey everyone, with Kuat Drive Yards flashpoint arriving tomorrow, I wrote up a guide on it over the weekend. It is mostly a fairly straight forward flashpoint but there are something that are not entirely obvious like one of the puzzle scenario.

There are 5 "trash" scenarios and 3 boss scenarios. Every time you enter the flashpoint, 2 random "trash" scenarios and 1 random boss scenario is picked. Within each scenario there are also some randomization like location of the Elite Defender or which Elite Defender you get. If you have played Fractals in GW2, it is the same system except you are working with a much smaller pool of scenarios.

This flashpoint is accessible to players from level 15 to 55 (I think you are bolstered if you enter it as a low level) and it is role neutral. Players in full 78s can solo most of it except maybe the boss.

Anyways, here is the guide, enjoy! http://dulfy.net/2014/02/03/swtor-kuat-drive-yards-tactical-flashpoint-guide/

Can it be [reasonably] soloed by 55s? My understanding is that there is no Sm/HM distinction. I specifically do not want to read the guide before trying it out, but (not being a hard core progression raider) don't ever find people who want to run or experience things without reading a guide first.

Can it be [reasonably] soloed by 55s? My understanding is that there is no Sm/HM distinction. I specifically do not want to read the guide before trying it out, but (not being a hard core progression raider) don't ever find people who want to run or experience things without reading a guide first.

Looks like a lot of people solo'ed it. Not sure what was Bioware aiming with "Tactical" ops but looks like there is nothing tactical about them

Only boss I've had trouble with as a slinger was the droid one, as he kept on destroying my comp. It's easy if you group with someone though as you can use health stations regardless as to whether your group member is in the flashpoint or not, so if you've got a friend who's doing something else you could group with them, do the fp on your own and be able to solo the bosses with ease.

Edited by Krevil

They would have been significally easier to solo if companions knew how to move out of AOE. They should atleast have a X % chance to move. Especially the sith master is tricky because of this. Perhaps I should try it as healer with a DD pet, that way I can keep them alive atleast. Anyone know if the bosses have an enrage timer? Edited by MidichIorian

I tried today... Quite lame experience. I like role neutrality as one possiblity, but just hate bolster. Also I dont understand

why did Czerka FP SMs have to be removed, I don't want to play my favs with stupid bolster:-/ of I dont know maybe that doesnt appear if youre 55:(

They would have been significally easier to solo if companions knew how to move out of AOE. They should atleast have a X % chance to move. Especially the sith master is tricky because of this. Perhaps I should try it as healer with a DD pet, that way I can keep them alive atleast. Anyone know if the bosses have an enrage timer?

Treek does a better job than the other healers. The CZ-198 SM flashpoints are soloable, but Core Meltdown is way easier with Treek. At least she does stand out of range healing herself only, like Fishboy (Gus) or Doc. Her AI actually seems better.

Treek does a better job than the other healers. The CZ-198 SM flashpoints are soloable, but Core Meltdown is way easier with Treek. At least she does stand out of range healing herself only, like Fishboy (Gus) or Doc. Her AI actually seems better.

I couldn't solo Core Meltdown with Doc (full aug'd 72s, no set bonus) or at least gave up after 2 losses. He just wouldn't get out of the way of the final boss. I would get CC'd and his healing wouldn't come fast enough since he was getting raped.

Thanks for the advice on a completely unrelated topic that no one mentioned. But to answer you, I'm solo'ing that as DPS sage with Nadia, there's no need for a heal pet on it.

And no, Treek does not do a better job when there's AOE involved and she doesnt have to move to get in range of you, like on the boss I actually brought up. She didnt heal me once during the entire fight and she couldnt even keep herself alive. Nadia. despite being DD, was actually better because she follows the boss, whereas Treek will stay in the same spot the entire time and eat every AOE.

Edited by MidichIorian

Dulfy, thank you for this guide, and all the work you do providing information. Your site has helped me immensely, from learning about Advanced Classes, to how-to's on missions (I completed the HK solo missions only because of your help!), to much more. Thank you. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :)

I did a Kuat Drive Yards Tactical Flashpoint for the first time. My level 53 Gunslinger was grouped with three other players levels 25 and lower. Two melee tanks, and a melee DPS. I had a good time. We fully wiped once, but there was no rage, and everyone maintained good humor.

My question is how does the bolster work?

I've wondered about how the bolster works in this case. If I join as a level 15, wouldn't I still only have access to level 15 abilities? Bolstered, but still only the abilities that are available for training through level 15?

Also, although there were two tanks, I would often pull the aggro, and get swarmed by mobs. Yes, the tanks played well, and did damage. Even with bolster, my GS would sometimes pull more aggro than the tanks. I was surprised that my DPS would pull that much aggro off of Tanks. At times, I felt like the muscle, because my GS seemed able to take more damage than my lower level group mates.

I thought the bolster would work where every player in the group was bolstered to the highest level in the group. In partial (or the one full) wipes, my GS was always the last one standing. Again, I think the tanks, and the melee DPS did a great job. It felt as though they just didn't have enough to not get defeated, even with the bolster.

Can someone explain how the bolster works in this Flashpoint?

Edited by Nmyownworld

My question is how does the bolster work?

I've wondered about how the bolster works in this case. If I join as a level 15, wouldn't I still only have access to level 15 abilities? Bolstered, but still only the abilities that are available for training through level 15?

Can someone explain how the bolster works in this Flashpoint?

The first thing to remember about Bolster is that WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT BOLSTER. I can link you to some youtube footage of "How Bolster Works", but it's not pretty.

Seriously, your understanding is correct: your gear and stats are "normalized", which means your armor, HP, damage, and healing *values* are normalized, but Bolster doesn't give you higher-level abilities or more spec tree skills or armor set bonuses, etc.

This means that, for example, if you get a low enough level "tank", that char won't have all the usual tank abilities of a level 55 of that class. However, if Bolster works like BW alleges PVP Bolster works, assuming the "tank" is high enough level to have selected enough tank tree skills, Bolster *should* give that char more tanky stat boosts than DPS stat boosts, so that char would likely have more HP/mitigation (and thus be more tanky) than a same-level char of that class in full DPS spec.

I hope that helps.

I hope that helps.

It does, indeed. Thank you. :)

Next time I do Kuat, I'll have a better idea of what to expect. Makes for a nice mental exercise. I can't just fall into my DPS rotation rut when I'm grouped with much lower level players. A good thing, I think. Sometimes, I do the same type of DPS rotation at a certain level so often, I feel like I'm doing it in my sleep. Heh. I need to stay on my toes in Kuat!

I couldn't solo any of the bosses on my 78 geared sorc healer. I think mostly I wasn't pumping out enough DPS and micro-managing the DPS companion was a bit annoying. Maybe if I put enough effort into it I could but it just takes too long and not worth the trouble. Good flashpoint to duo though if you are well geared.