Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do so many people support the Empire faction?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why do so many people support the Empire faction?

UniSWTOR
12.26.2016 , 05:25 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by LostInReverie View Post
I don't see it as that far-fetched that there would be many people who support the Empire, even if doing so goes against their own interests in some way. After all, people vote against their own interests all the time and support exactly what's worst for them. We've seen it all throughout history. Feudalism was the standard setup for society for quite a long time, and while I'm sure the serfs and peasants weren't having a wonderful time, it's all they knew, and I wouldn't be surprised if many serfs were extremely loyal to their lords and kingdoms. Patriotism and nationalism aren't logical. They come from an emotional, tribalistic us vs. them mentality. So yeah I can definitely understand why a lot of ordinary people support the Empire even if they're not benefiting from it at all.

Quite a few people do not like the idea of change. To go from supporting the Empire to supporting the Republic is a very huge change. If all of your life you've only known the way of the Empire it's going to take a lot more than just switching sides to support the Republic, you would have to change your entire way of life. But I do think that a lot of them see the ways of the Empire and bad, but see the deceit and hiding of one's true nature (The way of the Republic) as three thousand times worse.

Txasbountyhunter
12.26.2016 , 06:34 PM | #32
I would say that people follow the empire because it is either all they know, or it is the idea of it. The empire for the sith is a place where if you hold the force you are above most military and just by passing the trails the common idea is that you are a king among men and you can get a basic command of military forces. The military although it doesn't publicly tolerate backstabbing it is very common way of getting a promotion allowing the non-force users a method of climbing the ranks easily. It's the idea that is like the dark side, it is quick and easy power but the further down you go the more dangerous it is and the chance for your longevity dwindles. That's just the military/sith. I would imagine if you look at the citizens the majority of them are living in hope of them having a child with the force or they just get along with their day not knowing much else.

Koltovince- Mercenary Healer
Laughing-Coffin- Marauder DPS
-Officer of DEATH-

TalonVII
12.26.2016 , 09:26 PM | #33
It's not that I support the empire, but the BH is on that side. And I like being a Mando.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

Galahard
12.27.2016 , 10:10 AM | #34
Interesting question: why do people 'support' dictatorships all around the world?

1. Fear of retribution, if not falling in line/rebelling
2. (False) sense of stability
3. A way of personal gain/advancement in power, if lacking proper useful skills other than plotting and backstabbing
4. Genuinely lead to believe to be part of something bigger than themselves
5. Believing the propaganda about the enemy (would be surprised how many there are)

Even if some of them are intelligent to see through all of it, they sometimes just convince themselves than joining is much better and convenient than rebelling.
And what people believe in, is what they want to believe in, no matter the logic.
Your lack of intelligence is insulting (SCORPIO).

SithKoriandr
12.27.2016 , 07:03 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by UniSWTOR View Post

Quite a few people do not like the idea of change. To go from supporting the Empire to supporting the Republic is a very huge change. If all of your life you've only known the way of the Empire it's going to take a lot more than just switching sides to support the Republic, you would have to change your entire way of life. But I do think that a lot of them see the ways of the Empire and bad, but see the deceit and hiding of one's true nature (The way of the Republic) as three thousand times worse.
This may be more true to it. During the American Revolution, only 1 in 6 joined the war, with most figuring one would be changing one oppressive government for another.

People of the Empire could easily see it the same way, especially since we know (from Elara) just how terrible the Sith Empire makes the Republic out to be. Which has to be pretty terrible considering how terrible the Sith are.

Then there's all the garbage one goes through when they defect as well (again, look at Elara). Might just be best to escape to be a Hunter/Smuggler than try to be either side legitly
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Bouncy_Hunter
12.28.2016 , 01:04 AM | #36
Imperial society is most definitely indoctrinated. You can also read in the journal that comes with the collector's edition that over a thousand years they built up from nothing, being survivors after the Republic and Jedi almost wiped them out. From the start each generation was taught that the Republic and Jedi wanted to annihilate them and almost succeeded and that they are rebuilding the Empire to take revenge, like how Malgus says in the cinematic. The Sith want Vengeance.

Growing up in a militaristic society where every single person is part of the machine, it's "survival of the fittest" the strong make it to the top, the weak stay on the bottom or die. So from a young age Imperials are disciplined and ambitious. Not to mention they HATE the Republic and fear their Emperor and the Sith.

When you pick up the Gree event and watch the holo news thing, it gives you a glimpse into how their media operates, it's kind of like CNN or the rest, you see what they want you to see. They have an agenda. They paint the whole gree spaceship as a hoax and a lie to keep the population in line.

UghkoffR
12.28.2016 , 01:26 AM | #37
interesting question. i will need to think at leisure.

On the one hand the Republic where you are free to choose your way of life, but corruption of power, and the likelihood that falls in the "lower levels of Coruscant", on the other hand the pyramid of the Sith hierarchy with slavery and other attributes and intrigue in the moments of absence of a common enemy. If you were born in the Empire, you don't know of any other system, for you is the norm.
I think people choose faction not more than focusing on their views in life, but more on something new, unexplored, and may even be forbidden.

From the point of view of human freedom and of humanity, I still see more or less ideal system Zakuul.
May the force is serve you well !!

Guardian_Jake
12.28.2016 , 12:29 PM | #38
I personally find the republic really boring. Plus, the Jedi's philosophy doesn't make much sense. Besides who are they to decide who should die and who shouldn't. The Sith at least don't pretend to be righteous.

SithKoriandr
12.28.2016 , 05:06 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Guardian_Jake View Post
I personally find the republic really boring. Plus, the Jedi's philosophy doesn't make much sense. Besides who are they to decide who should die and who shouldn't. The Sith at least don't pretend to be righteous.
Where do they decide who lives or dies? Also, their philosophy makes perfect sense when it comes to dealing with the force. Those who get all worked up in emotions and have the ability to use the force, tend to become *****s.

Look at all the Sith (except for a few and even then they have their moments for sure), Vaylin, Arcann....force users who go all emotional, tend to be a problem. Those who keep the emotions in check, less likely. The problem is, even keeping the emotions in check, doesn't stop one from having them. Which they acknowledge anyways.

However, would you rather the big force using group train force users to temper their emotions, so they don't go force choking people willy nilly because they stubbed their toe or got called a silly name, or would you rather then teach them to just go with it, kill those beneath you (which is the majority of people) in power?
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

vadess
12.29.2016 , 06:19 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Galahard View Post
Interesting question: why do people 'support' dictatorships all around the world?
That is an interesting question. I think to answer it though, important to try and set aside democracy = good. Many good things about democracy, but it has its drawbacks too!

Drawbacks to democracy:
  1. The will of the people isn't always the best thing
  2. It is inefficient because it takes longer to decide how to govern.
  3. Depends on the majority of the people participating in it.
  4. People become so convinced of its superiotity, they don't see when it is failing

Now, why prefer dictatorships...
  1. They are more efficient. When the dictator in charge says jump, people jump. In a democracy, if someone wants people to jump, it has to go through a long process of debate, speeches, approvals, votes and then more so if it moves into the upper house (aka senate in a lot of democratic countries), and then *maybe* it gets passed.
  2. When dictators are just, things can go well for a country. For example, the Roman Empire was far from perfect BUT when Emperors ruled well, there was stability and peace throughout the known world. Might have been a fearful peace, and unstable, but it was there.
  3. It does make things easier. I'm not saying easy is good, but it is easier.
  4. Most dictatorships don't claim they're the best for everybody, unlike democracy where most democratic countries are convinced that the world would be better if every country was a democratic one

The last bullet there is why I think my characters, and myself as a person, prefer the Empire/Sith: The Republic and the Jedi over and over betray their arrogance and insistence that they are good and are the best thing for the galaxy, while the Sith Empire is evil. In doing so they put themselves on a VERY high pedestal, where it is a long and hard fall should they stumble. And it makes their own atrocities, such as the Republic with the Jedi's help massacring the Sith people at the end of the Great Hyperspace Wars just because they can and not because Sith were any real threat anymore. Encounters with Jedi in the Sith Warrior, Inquisitor, and Jedi Knight storylines are examples of this.
Spoiler

The Empire and Sith don't make those kinds of claims. Yes, they want to take over and destroy the Republic, but they don't say or claim its because they want what's good for everybody. They're more honest in that regard: Taking over is great because the Sith Empire gets ahead regardless of where the moral compass lands. And when they do make moral judgements, it's usually because the Jedi/Republic have done something in the war against the Empire's people. Given