[Panel Discussion] Player vs. Player (3:00PM CST)

Circle strafing is a valid technique and auto-facing is silly. Now all of my high level characters are ranged and I expect to be at a disadvantage if a melee gets up close, that is normal. Just as melee are at a disadvantage until they can close with me.

There is already some auto-facing. Pretty much any channeled spell will turn you with the movement of the target. When a melee gets on me my first priority is trying to get some distance. (e.g. On my Gunslinger I may knock them back then leg shot to hold them off and then nuke them. Or I may flash bang them, run, cover leg shot, or ... well you get the idea.)

Every ranged class has some way to open up distance just as melee classes have ways to close distance. If there is an imbalance in distance closers versus openers, then address that. But, in my opinion, auto-facing is ridiculous.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how or why you would expect to have autoface in a game with some classes have positional melee abilities (backstab)...

By making those "positional" abilities intended to be openers and not intended to be used in the middle of combat?

Watch a real sword fight, heck, since this is Star Wars, go watch Obiwan vs Vader in Episode IV? Do you see Obiwan running around like a moron? No.

Go watch Episode I, II, and III... They move a lot more but they still aren't moving around in circles.

Now.

Go give your friend a nerf bat.

You take a nerf bat.

You run around your friend and try to hit him.

Tell him to hit you back.

Which one of you has a harder time?

Here is a clue: Your friend is pegging you just fine without running around in a circle.

By making those "positional" abilities intended to be openers and not intended to be used in the middle of combat?

Watch a real sword fight, heck, since this is Star Wars, go watch Obiwan vs Vader in Episode IV? Do you see Obiwan running around like a moron? No.

Go watch Episode I, II, and III... They move a lot more but they still aren't moving around in circles.

Now.

Go give your friend a nerf bat.

You take a nerf bat.

You run around your friend and try to hit him.

Tell him to hit you back.

Which one of you has a harder time?

Here is a clue: Your friend is pegging you just fine without running around in a circle.

This simply does not make sense. The skills are DEFINITELY not designed to be openners only. That is silly. For example...Sin/Shadow duplicity talent grants exploit weakness for the backstab. Here is a clue, tell me how you are going to open with it, when you dont get the proc until you are in combat...lol.

Now I appreciate your attempt to take real world combat and impose it on game mechanics, but that is futile. Here is another clue, blaster rifles and sniper rifles can shoot further than 90ft...

As far as the movies, in both aotc and rots, Yoda did the whirling dervish routine. It really is simple, learn to use your mouse.

Edited by Dyvim

So , did i get it right , can you only allow MAX 8 PLAYERS PER FACTION IN A WZ?

... ok , so we will never see a great battle like 20 vs 20 or worst in this game ?

Lol ... really epic...

I was talking with the developers and they did say that there will be larger warzones eventually.

My bet is that the next warzone (aside from Novare Coast) will be in 1.4, which hopefully will be 12v12 or even 16v16

I was talking with the developers and they did say that there will be larger warzones eventually.

My bet is that the next warzone (aside from Novare Coast) will be in 1.4, which hopefully will be 12v12 or even 16v16

I hope so, because they described it as another 2/3 capture the turret type objective game, which made me think that it might be another Alderaan. I like Alderaan, but I would like other Warzones to be unique in and of themselves. Perhaps some terrain differences would be sufficient to make a difference.

I would, at some point, like to see a "capture the enemy flag" ruleset Warzone.

Ultimately, I would like to see an end-of-game PvP campaign. This stuff was a speciality of the old Mythic devs and I'd like to see;

1. what they can do! And
  2. what they learnt from Warhammer.

Damnit, I have so many great ideas for a PvP campaign. Where I can get my dreams realised?

Edited by svartalfimposter
Humans first! Business second!

So now I'm confused about 8-man queuing.

At first they made it sound like it was an addition going in with 1.2. But then it was listed on the power point under "Future of Warzones" with "Timeline: TBD".

So yes or no to 8-man for 1.2?

UPDATE: Please see Stephen's post here. I've updated the post below to reflect his comments.

Just to clarify, since I've seen this question a number of times in this thread. What we said was:

• Cross-server PvP queuing is in the works
  • Once it launches, it will allow us to do things such as:
  • More level bracketing

• 8-man team creation

• Ability to queue for a specific warzone

There is no current timeline for this feature, and there's also no guarantee that it will all happen at once, but cross-server queuing will open up a bunch of possibilities for us. Once we have more details, of course, we will let you know.

Edited by DavidBass

Seriously? Are you kidding me?

The whole point of Ranked Warzone is exactly so we can queue with a full group. Queueing with 4 players is boring as hell and it shows nothing because you get in a group with 4 ******** players who is ruining the whole game for you. This is both insanely stressing and annoying that you will be losing because of a few certain individuals.

So basically the only feature I have been looking forward to for months now has been ruined even before the patch is deployed on live. Atleast thank you for announcing this so we can all cancel our subscription in rage over a game released way before it was ready, which can clearly be seen on the amount of bugs and the amount of thoughts put into the different systems of the game.

8-man queuing is essential. The fact you cannot make a group of all guild-mates/friends to do ranked war-zones is absurd. If this patch is released without full premade capabilities you will see a LOT of backlash. Terrible idea, no reason not to have 8-mans implemented now.

Just to clarify, since I've seen this question a number of times in this thread. What we said was:

• More level bracketing

• 8-man premade queuing

There is no current timeline for this feature, and there's also no guarantee that it will all happen at once, but cross-server queuing will open up a bunch of possibilities for us. Once we have more details, of course, we will let you know.

You might want to inform the million + people who think otherwise.... It was portrayed as if 8 man queue was coming in 1.2. This is pretty gamebreaking for me.

• More level bracketing

• 8-man premade queuing

Wow. That is insanely stunning news. I imagine by that time there will be many more Warzone maps available as well. At least can hope so.

It's broken and a complete waste of time to do rated warzones with no ability to queue up as a full team.

Complete nonsense.

I must also say that having only three warzones available to play in a subscription based game such as this is not acceptable.

There really should be double that amount from the outset.

How can you rate me if you don't let me pick the people I play with... that's right, you can't.

I'm sure EA and Bioware will continue to make lots of money from the casuals, but this will be the end of SWTOR for many looking to PvP.

Edited by Bisket

• More level bracketing

• 8-man premade queuing

Hum, if this means that 8-man premade queuing is still not in the game in patch 1.2, we (our guild) stop the game. We've been waiting for too long for a functionality that should have been in the game since day 1.

didnt you hear? haing a choice would be a negative thing according to gabe. This is nothing wait till the new warzone comes and you still cant choose it you think people are dropping wz's now lol wait that new one comes haha your going to see a flood of qq from people saying everyones dropping wz's to get the new one then youll see like in 1.1 and emergency shutdown and hey look now you can choose. Sad to say it but thats how bioware is if you hit them over the head with a 2 by 4 and told them your going to do that they would get up and say why did u hit me? ok im taking your 2 by 4 away sigh...

How can you rate me if you don't let me pick the people I play with... that's right, you can't.

I'm sure EA and Bioware will continue to make lots of money from the casuals, but this will be the end of SWTOR for many looking to PvP.

didnt you hear? haing a choice would be a negative thing according to gabe. This is nothing wait till the new warzone comes and you still cant choose it you think people are dropping wz's now lol wait that new one comes haha your going to see a flood of qq from people saying everyones dropping wz's to get the new one then youll see like in 1.1 and emergency shutdown and hey look now you can choose. Sad to say it but thats how bioware is if you hit them over the head with a 2 by 4 and told them your going to do that they would get up and say why did u hit me? ok im taking your 2 by 4 away sigh...

What?

That is one long arse sentence. Vanna can I buy a punctuation mark?

I do not like the fact that 8man queuing is not going to happen in 1.2 with rated WZs because people will not want to effect their rating based on grouping luck. I hope BW have a good plan in place based on player feedback for this.

One suggestion is to have a rating system in and allow people to test it out, but then when you finally add a 8man premade queue you reset the ratings or give a new one, because only THAT really gives an accurate rating of the group.

8-player queueing should IMO then be restricted to its own bracket. It's bad enough to run against a 4-player group when your side is made up of randoms, but getting into a match where you're running against a completely organised team would just plain suck the fun out of everything.

omg, I am big fan of SWTOR but me and my guild were so hyped for 8 man ranked warzones tha tthis news is just devastating. For lots and lots of people this was feature that they were most excited about, in my guild biggest concern atm is that we cant make 8 man premade and need to be paired with some random people without voice chat, and we can just hope they arent that horribe like their gear.

1.2 suppose to change everything, and now you droping this bomb on us?

How the hell you expect us to participate in ranked matches when you dont allow us to be a team in the first place? This is just beyond reason.