ESO ANGRY REVIEW (Angry Joe)

ImmortalLowlife

Our taste are similar, so I generally pay attention to his reviews.

Yeah, Angry Joe and Gamespot were the two big ones I was waiting on to see what they had to say (still waiting on GS). In this case I didn't really consider the lack of sandbox/housing to be as big a detriment as he was making it out to be at the beginning, both would be nice additions eventually but I knew this would be theme-park going in. And launch glitches are definitely something I just accept as part of the genre now.

But what he was saying about the quests, the OW grouping, the drop rates, and "running simulator" are definitely relevant to me and my preferences. Good to see that the one thing about ESO that really intrigued me: the OW PVP, does still seem to be a lot of fun though.

Regardless of whether I agree with other people or not, its usually best to try things for yourself and make up your own mind rather than being a sheep.

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to consider dropping $60 plus a monthly sub, I'm sure as hell gonna be checking out reviews (especially from reviewers I've found I tend to agree with) first.

Edited by DarthDymond

The great thing about Angry Joe is that he can't be bought by any of the publishers. No paid reviews here for a better score! ESO looked bad and offered nothing really new - what a shock! A familiar story now with MMOs. Clone Clone Clone! Edited by DarthMaulUK

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to consider dropping $60 plus a monthly sub, I'm sure as hell gonna be checking out reviews (especially from reviewers I've found I tend to agree with) first.

I didnt say I dont read reviews. I read plenty simply out of curiosity. However, if there is something I actually have an interest in playing, a review is not going to make up my mind for me. I am going to try it myself and then decide. Even if you tend to agree with a certain reviewer, that doesnt mean you will agree with them 100% of the time. So if you decide not to play something because a guy you usually agree with doesnt like it, that may be the time you miss out on something you would have loved.

Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

If I remember correctly, he kinda liked SW:TOR at first but then he started to dislike it.

I don't think he ever did a proper review of it like hi did with ESO, just a few gaming impressions

Its the small issues that can create lots of problems. SWTOR had lots of them. UI was bad, no customisation for PvP armour, Lag on Ilum where open world was broken but importantly it had some levels of polish.

ESO just looks like a mess. Angry Joe also gave an honest review of one of the worlds worst games of 2013 - Rome 2. Highlighted all the issues corrupted media sites like PC Gamer, IGN etc all didn't point out as they gave it 8/9 out of 10.

Todays most popular gaming media sites award higher scores based on advertising spend by that publisher not on how good the game actually is today. I remember sitting in my office once across from a PR guy arguing with a gaming magazine over a 2% difference - then striking a deal to provide exclusive rights for the next triple A title.

Angry Joe doesnt give in to these kind of tactics, which is a good thing and he, imo, always strikes a fair balance when he can

Regardless of whether I agree with other people or not, its usually best to try things for yourself and make up your own mind rather than being a sheep.

Note I said "I PAY ATTENTION" to his reviews, not "I take whatever he says as Chuuuuch". BEFORE I burn sixty bucks on a game I may or may not enjoy, a smart person will consider the views and opinions of as many ppl whom he finds trustworthy as possible. When it comes to games, Joe is one of those ppl. It's NOT being a sheep, it's called wisdom. :cool:

"A smart man gains knowledge by learning from his mistakes, a wise man gains knowledge by learning from the mistakes of others."

I PvE and from what I've seen/heard so far, this game isn't for me.......yet. ;)

Note I said "I PAY ATTENTION" to his reviews, not "I take whatever he says as Chuuuuch". BEFORE I burn sixty bucks on a game I may or may not enjoy, a smart person will consider the views and opinions of as many ppl whom he finds trustworthy as possible. When it comes to games, Joe is one of those ppl. It's NOT being a sheep, it's called wisdom.

Yeah, yeah; I already replied to this same type of logic in my last post. So rather than retype the same thing, here is a quote for you:

I didnt say I dont read reviews. I read plenty simply out of curiosity. However, if there is something I actually have an interest in playing, a review is not going to make up my mind for me. I am going to try it myself and then decide. Even if you tend to agree with a certain reviewer, that doesnt mean you will agree with them 100% of the time. So if you decide not to play something because a guy you usually agree with doesnt like it, that may be the time you miss out on something you would have loved.

So your choices are:

A) I usually agree with someone, so I will let them decide for me. Or,

B) Whether I usually agree with someone or not, I will still try it for myself and then decide.

So do whatever makes you think you are happy, but remember that even if you usually agree with someone that does not mean you will always agree with them on everything.

Personally, I tried ESO, and I dont like it. But I'm not sorry I tried it, because now I actually know how *I* feel about the game and wont have to think to myself "I wonder if I would like that..." every time I see something about it. People who base their decision on what someone else tells them will never actually know whether they like the game or not.

Yeah, yeah; I already replied to this same type of logic in my last post. So rather than retype the same thing, here is a quote for you:

So your choices are:

A) I usually agree with someone, so I will let them decide for me. Or,

B) Whether I usually agree with someone or not, I will still try it for myself and then decide.

So do whatever makes you think you are happy, but remember that even if you usually agree with someone that does not mean you will always agree with them on everything.

Personally, I tried ESO, and I dont like it. But I'm not sorry I tried it, because now I actually know how *I* feel about the game and wont have to think to myself "I wonder if I would like that..." every time I see something about it. People who base their decision on what someone else tells them will never actually know whether they like the game or not.

YOU tried the beta I take it....GOOD FOR YOU! I DIDN'T. So my options are

A) consider the opinions of different ppl who GENERALLY have opinions similar to my own and make a decision based on the information provided.

Or

B) Go spend $60 + taxes + the 2nd months subscription to try a game I may or may not like at ALL, and if I don't like it then I'm stuck with it BECAUSE it's not a game that can be traded in.

So the question is are YOU willing to burn $100 or so just so you can say "I tried it..."?

Are YOU a smart man or a wise man?

Edited by ImmortalLowlife

Angry Joe also gave an honest review of one of the worlds worst games of 2013 - Rome 2.

errr sorry but Rome 2 wasnt one of the "WORST" games of 2013 lol there were plenty of worse games that came out... sure the AI was **** and there were some funky bugs but then again people tend to forget the AI has never been great in a Total War game and the launch bugs were still better than the launch of Empire.

AND the company is patching it near constantly to fix the annoying *** bugs.... was it a buggy mess at launch.. yes.... was it one of the worlds worst games of 2013.... hell no hence why he gave it the same sorta review score as ESO. He did put it in the most disappointing games of 2013 list though which was completely fair since it was very very very disappointing.

YOU tried the beta I take it....GOOD FOR YOU!

Nope, I didnt. I was invited, but I prefer not to play betas because they usually arent done(kind of the point), and it can give a bad first impression of the product. I like to wait for launch, which is when the game is officially "ready". That said, I bought the standard game package, played it, and didnt really enjoy it. And like I said earlier, I dont regret trying it, because now I know how *I* feel about it, not what someone else thinks.

Nope, I didnt. I was invited, but I prefer not to play betas because they usually arent done(kind of the point), and it can give a bad first impression of the product. I like to wait for launch, which is when the game is officially "ready". That said, I bought the standard game package, played it, and didnt really enjoy it. And like I said earlier, I dont regret trying it, because now I know how *I* feel about it, not what someone else thinks.

Well....I guess you're a smart man then...yippie Dee do da......I decided to be wise. I listen to the opinions of others, and learn from their mistakes. And instead of wasting money on something I wouldn't like, I took my wife out to dinner at Ruth Chris. Worked out a lot better than trying to explain another mistake like the one I made when DCUO came out :D

Well....I guess you're a smart man then...yippie Dee do da......I decided to be wise. I listen to the opinions of others, and learn from their mistakes. And instead of wasting money on something I wouldn't like, I took my wife out to dinner at Ruth Chris. Worked out a lot better than trying to explain another mistake like the one I made when DCUO came out :D

Sorry, but your "smart man, wise man" philosophy is not talking about trying new flavors of ice cream or coffee at starbucks or video games. It is talking about learning from things that can actually be considered "mistakes" in the real world. Maybe getting a tattoo when youre drunk, or "hooking up" with someone and getting an STD. Equating something as trivial as trying a new video game with the true meaning of your "smart man, wise man" slogan is silly to say the least.

So no, trying ESO or not trying ESO has absolutely nothing to do with whether you or I am "smart" or "wise" or anything in between. That is determined by what we do when we walk out of our front door into the real world. And if you have to choose between buying a video game and taking your wife out, then there is only one "right" choice regardless of whether you like the video game or not ;)

But what he was saying about the quests, the OW grouping, the drop rates, and "running simulator" are definitely relevant to me and my preferences. Good to see that the one thing about ESO that really intrigued me: the OW PVP, does still seem to be a lot of fun though..

Those are all the things that I don't agree with him about, as someone who is vet rank 5 ive seen most of the game.

He was ************ about boring and simple quests, this game has thousands of quests, many of them very epic and unique, but they cant all be like that.

The running simulator thing is a joke too, you can have the 17k to buy a horse by level 20 pretty easily and you can hit 20 when your less than half way through the second major zone.

Drops rates I guess he is right about, they are tough, but its the way mmos used to be before they handed you rewards just for trying.

He had a lot of valid arguments in the first part of the video(about the bugs and phasing) but as soon as he said the graphics sucked and there were mmos with better graphics he lost all credibility.

Sorry, but your "smart man, wise man" philosophy is not talking about trying new flavors of ice cream or coffee at starbucks or video games. It is talking about learning from things that can actually be considered "mistakes" in the real world. Maybe getting a tattoo when youre drunk, or "hooking up" with someone and getting an STD. Equating something as trivial as trying a new video game with the true meaning of your "smart man, wise man" slogan is silly to say the least.

So no, trying ESO or not trying ESO has absolutely nothing to do with whether you or I am "smart" or "wise" or anything in between. That is determined by what we do when we walk out of our front door into the real world. And if you have to choose between buying a video game and taking your wife out, then there is only one "right" choice regardless of whether you like the video game or not ;)

Ok..... I take it back....you're an idiot. Because you see it does apply. BECAUSE wasting money IS a mistake in the real world. That slogan can be applied to ALL aspects of life. Everything From investing in rental property to spending money on entertainment. (Like *Gasps* video games) But YOU have to be smart enough to understand that knowledge and wisdom comes in different forms, and not always from where you expect it to come from. EVERY DECISION YOU MAKE has consequences, and those consequences present the opportunity to gain knowledge.

And fyi.....it was NEVER about having to choose between my wife or a game. I can do BOTH and not even think twice about it. :cool: It's about NOT making the same mistake more than once.

That slogan can be applied to ALL aspects of life.

ALL aspects of life, huh? EVERY single one? (I love when people make silly absolute statements. Here is why...) By that logic, and according the conditions of the slogan, ALL it takes to make a person "wise" is deciding not to try a flavor of ice cream for no reason other than because the random joe ahead of them in line didnt like it. The problem is, when you dumb down the word "wisdom" to mean nothing more than whether someone thinks they will like how ice cream tastes, then it loses all real meaning.

So if you think that slogan actually applies to ALL aspects of life, and deciding not to try a flavor of ice cream is ALL it takes to make someone "wise" or not, then I could care less whether that definition applies to me. In your world, described in the scenario above, "wisdom" isnt a positive quality. It is just being afraid to try some ice cream because the random guy ahead of you in line at the ice cream store didnt like it :rolleyes:

No backtracking now. You already said it applies to ALL aspects of life, which includes the ice cream store ;)

He brings up some good points, especially about the horse price (or the problems when you don't have one) and grouping for quests. I know it's his shtick to yell and get angry about this stuff, but I think that he makes things seem a bit worse than they are. I disagree with the overall impression that he gives of how "bad" it is. I've been having a lot of fun.

That said I mostly enjoy his videos, and it was pretty cool running into him at the airport on Friday. He was kind of wandering around taking pictures of the boarding areas or something, and I did a double-take when he was standing nearby. I said hey and he shook my hand, and when he noticed me running SWTOR on my laptop he was a bit surprised it worked on the airport wifi. Had to get them dailies done on my new toon!

errr sorry but Rome 2 wasnt one of the "WORST" games of 2013 lol there were plenty of worse games that came out... sure the AI was **** and there were some funky bugs but then again people tend to forget the AI has never been great in a Total War game and the launch bugs were still better than the launch of Empire.

AND the company is patching it near constantly to fix the annoying *** bugs.... was it a buggy mess at launch.. yes.... was it one of the worlds worst games of 2013.... hell no hence why he gave it the same sorta review score as ESO. He did put it in the most disappointing games of 2013 list though which was completely fair since it was very very very disappointing.

Erm, yes it was. Angry Joe pointed out all the reasons why it was the worst game. Feature stripping being one, some people couldn't even play the game. And yes, the AI has never been great but it hasnt been THIS stupid. Considering it was Rome 2, it was nothing more than a cash grab from Sega.

They knew full well that people would buy it thanks to Rome 1 so they could churn out a pile of crap, bribe PC Gamer, IGN and others to score it 8/9 out of 10 and everyone is happy - apart from the consumer.

Go watch Angry Joes review and see for yourself. Then read the above corrupt media sites and see the difference for yourself. It's great that Joe posts footage in his videos to expose the glaring issues with any game like ESO and Rome 2

ALL aspects of life, huh? EVERY single one? By that logic, and according the conditions of the slogan, ALL it takes to make a person "wise" is deciding not to try a flavor of ice cream for no reason other than because the random joe ahead of them in line didnt like it. The problem is, when you dumb down the word "wisdom" to mean nothing more than whether someone thinks they will like how ice cream tastes, then it loses all real meaning.

So if you think that slogan actually applies to ALL aspects of life, and deciding not to try a flavor of ice cream is ALL it takes to make someone "wise" or not, then I could care less whether that definition applies to me. In your world, described in the scenario above, "wisdom" isnt a positive quality. It is just being afraid to try some ice cream because the random guy ahead of you in line at the ice cream store didnt like it :rolleyes:

What you got an ice cream fetish or something dude? :rak_02: See...I'm talking about learning from past mistakes and trying NOT to repeat them. You talking about vanilla, butter pecan, & rocky road. What are you hungry? U need to go get a snack then come back to trolling this thread? :D

Aie....it's been fun doin this lil dance and all...., but this ain't why I started this thread. I know a lot of ppl have heard of Joe. He did a review for a game that happens to be a hot topic. I posted a link....

*Drops mic exits stage

#cloud9bound

Exactly. I tried ESO out, and I love it, I plopped down the money for the Imperial version of it, and I'm not the least bit sorry. I'm having a good time, and it's keeping me entertained, while I wait for the apartments to arrive.

And if this game doesn't pan out the way I enjoy, it's nice having somewhere else to spend my time. I'm pretty sure, in due time ESO will have housing and such too. Not everything drops all at once, and it's a brand new game.

See...I'm talking about learning from past mistakes and trying NOT to repeat them.

No, you are talking about learning from other people's "mistakes". Or did you forget your own favorite little slogan?

"A smart man gains knowledge by learning from his mistakes, a wise man gains knowledge by learning from the mistakes of others."

And you went on to say:

That slogan can be applied to ALL aspects of life.

Since you decided to make a silly absolute statement, then that means you are talking about EVERY single situation. So by your logic, all it takes to be "wise" is being afraid to try some ice cream because the guy in line in front of you didnt like it. So if that is your definition of "wisdom", I could care less whether you think it applies to me or not ;)