Does race matter in quest storylines?

DPCummerbund

I've heard rumors that playing a non-human on the Imp side makes some difference in some quests. Is this true?

So far, playing different races hasn't mattered on the Rep side. For example, I played a Twi'lek Knight, and all through the Twi'lek story on Tyhon nobody seemed to notice or care that my toon was actually a Twi'lek.

I am playing a BH on the Imp side, and I have noticed that some of the NPCs are a bit discomfited to be working with a BH, which is kind of cool. Does race ever matter on that side either?

I believe it only really matters in one instance, in the Imperial Agent storyline. You can't romance one of the NPC's very far (if at all) if you're not a Human/Cyborg. Otherwise it's just dialogue, as stated above.

I've heard rumors that playing a non-human on the Imp side makes some difference in some quests. Is this true?

So far, playing different races hasn't mattered on the Rep side. For example, I played a Twi'lek Knight, and all through the Twi'lek story on Tyhon nobody seemed to notice or care that my toon was actually a Twi'lek.

I am playing a BH on the Imp side, and I have noticed that some of the NPCs are a bit discomfited to be working with a BH, which is kind of cool. Does race ever matter on that side either?

Really the only difference I can see is the reaction that some of the human sith might have. The sith are prejudiced against aliens for the most part. But it won't affect the story.

Mostly diaglogue from my experience. I think only time it was mentioned was the quest where you have to locate the Nautloan's girlfriend on Coruscant.

It would be nice if each race/species had a perk that added to the game; i.e Humans get extra defense, Twi'leks get extra stength, Miralukas are more attuned to their surroundings and can sense enemies from further away, Sith Species have a stronger connection to the dark side of the Force or something like that.

Mostly diaglogue from my experience. I think only time it was mentioned was the quest where you have to locate the Nautloan's girlfriend on Coruscant.

It would be nice if each race/species had a perk that added to the game; i.e Humans get extra defense, Twi'leks get extra stength, Miralukas are more attuned to their surroundings and can sense enemies from further away, Sith Species have a stronger connection to the dark side of the Force or something like that.

Bioware made it like it is because that is a MAJOR influence on character creation.

With your bonuses:

All Jedi knights would be Twi'leks to get strength bonuses,

All Inquisitors would be Sith because theyre abilities would be a little more powerful ( i assume thats what you meant)

All tanks would be Humans to get extra defence

Bioware made it like it is because that is a MAJOR influence on character creation.

With your bonuses:

All Jedi knights would be Twi'leks to get strength bonuses,

All Inquisitors would be Sith because theyre abilities would be a little more powerful ( i assume thats what you meant)

All tanks would be Humans to get extra defence

Well in theory something like that. I'm kind of basing it on StarTrek online to where different races have different mechanics or perks that are added in. They balanced it so that just because you choose a certain race does not mean you are OMGPowerful. Just like there are perks there are setbacks as well.

Why am I suddenly reminded of the D&D player I know who min-maxed his alignment?

In the competitive PvP world I could see the marginal differences as being the source of much heated debate ("Why would you roll a Miraluka Operative? They have marginally less tech damage and are therefore the crappiest race ever! RAWR"). Anyway, I kind of like the really pointless species abilities we have at the moment, I just wish they'd fix the flaming palour dance.