All Star Wars games gone in 2 years?

AhsokaTanorules

Is my friend trolling or paranoid? He has been against Disney acquiring Star Wars and now he claims that in at least 2 years time, all current Star Wars games including this one will be stopped.

Definitely paranoid, as a NEW Star wars game has been announced not a week ago.

Battlefront 3 is being released within the next 6 months to a year.

Star Wars 1313 was shelved during the buy out but may be making an appearance soon.

And with the movies expected to come out in a few years, you better believe they will make money from games and merchandise from that as well.

I would say a set back, but not over yet.

Is my friend trolling or paranoid? He has been against Disney acquiring Star Wars and now he claims that in at least 2 years time, all current Star Wars games including this one will be stopped.

Will there be some sort of star wars game in 2 years? Yes.

Will SWTOR be around in 2 years? At this rate, not even close.

Has he some arguments that support his claim?

Disney bought the Star Wars franchise to make some money. So if games will contribute to the profit they will be supported by Disney. If SWTOR will exist in 2 years or not will not so much be dependent on Disney but on Bioware. If they can improve the game so enough players are willing to pay for it, it will survive or in the other case it will be shut down.

Mmm...

At the end of the story, is all about profit, either you have it or you don't. The game as is, is good enough to make it, no arguments there, and as long as they periodically have releases that brings more material and expansions for added levels, I really can't see why the game would not continue.

On the other hand, MMORPGs are now quite competitive and lots of choices are now available and getting to be more as time goes by, so that could be a hard threat against SWTOR but on the other hand, this game has that strength Star Wars as a main motiff, just like LOTRO does for instance to keep a player base.

I frankly don't thik SWTOR is going poof any time soon...

Sue

One or the other. Maybe both.

Disney does not mess with success. The reason Disney acquires companies is because they are profitable and want to gain by that profitability. The execs tend to take a hands off approach. So as long as the current Star Wars games remain profitable, I do not see Disney shutting them down. And it does not take much for an MMO to be profitable.

Disney spent roughly 4 Billion in cash and other things adding up to that total - I'm pretty damn sure they'll make as many games and films as they can dish out with what they have; to think otherwise is foolish.

I just hope they bring out another MMO in a few years, with the concept of Sandboxing over Themeparking (like this mmo).

One or the other. Maybe both.

Disney does not mess with success. The reason Disney acquires companies is because they are profitable and want to gain by that profitability. The execs tend to take a hands off approach. So as long as the current Star Wars games remain profitable, I do not see Disney shutting them down. And it does not take much for an MMO to be profitable.

Eh...

As Power Ranger fan i will say that, while Disney does have a halfway decent track record at this point, if there is a portion of a property that don't like or don't know what to do with, they will do everything in their power to kill it off.

Will there be some sort of star wars game in 2 years? Yes.

Will SWTOR be around in 2 years? At this rate, not even close.

Actually, at this rate "yes, definitely!" as the game is doing extremely well. You doom and gloom haters love to ignore the facts, but SWTOR is doing very well now and has the second highest player count of any MMO. So, yeah, doing pretty good.

As a starter I think BW controls this game not Disney, so will the game be here or not in 2 years is dependent on BW. But at the rate things are going in 2 years this game will be down to one server, if it is still here.

Sadly EA controls everything. Since EA owns BW. If EA cuts the funding the game dies. With all the other blockbuster games EA makes. (Sims, DeadSpace and what have you) This game is really chump change. Heck look how long it took for the first expantion to come out. Oh and did I mention it was only a digital copy, there isn't a hard disc copy anywhere but in the volts of EA/BioWare.

I hate to sound all doom and gloom as one of you put it. Yet thats the way things are. This game isn't nearly what was promised back when it was announced. I get an MMO is hard to make and run, yet many of the players are frustrated. Not enough new content. Both sub classes play the same. There is no real replayability in the game.

Trust me I know how it sounds, but I was a big supporter of this game. I have spent a ton of money playing it. More than any other MMO. I got all my friends to join, yet here I am. Trying to keep my guild together and keep people interested. The lack of content and the lack of dev interaction (SF cantina tour) was bogus. The players are the reason the game does well, and the players need some form of satisfaction from the game.

One character rename token isn't good enough. A few hundred cartel coins isn't good enough either. As a sub, the players deserve more. As a person who has supported this game since its announcment. I am saddened by what I see today. This is a pay to win game. The more money you put in the easier you win. It doesn't take talent or even skill. It's grind all day to get a piece of gear. ( Mind you I haven't looked at the markets since the conversion of planet comendations to planetary comendations) Then grind the next week to finish the armor. Then go do a raid to get better gear.

Ladies and gentlemen this is Star Wars, did Luke wear armor? Did Vader? How about Yoda? People love the Star Wars Universe for the story. Not the gear...

Which is why I have subbed on and off over the last 2 years, have 8 characters at different levels on different sides of the divide, and I'm aiming to play through all the story, and yet not one endgame character because of frequent server rerolls (there weren't transfers back then)...

Maybe I'll stop playing when I hit the endgame. But the meantime, I'm enjoying SWTOR. To me, the big draw was unlocking the entire Legacy tree with gameplay (or cash for globals and things like PT: starship) and getting the Living Legend title. That's my 'endgame'. I'll consider doing everything else later.