Enough of the Hayden Christensen hate

Scerge

I'm sick of hearing Hayden Christensen this Hayden Christensen that, I'd like to see some of these whiners take his place and try to act, I think he did a good job in star wars.

Pipe down people, you don't have to constantly preach hate at someone just because you don't like them..

He didn't do a good job. But, to be fair, NOBODY in that role could have done a good job. He did what he could with what he had to work with. Bad script, crappy dialogue, and a director WANTING him to act all emo. I honestly believe that nobody in that role would have been able to pull it off.

Natalie Portman was at least as bad as Christensen in the Star Wars prequels, and she's a highly acclaimed actress. That's pretty much all you need to know. The writing for that pair of characters was just effing brutal, and the directing probably wasn't much better.

George Lucas is a visionary, a spectacular idea man, but it's no accident that his best work was with writing/directing help. (Like, say, The Empire Strikes Back or the various Indiana Jones movies.)

Natalie Portman was at least as bad as Christensen in the Star Wars prequels, and she's a highly acclaimed actress. That's pretty much all you need to know. The writing for that pair of characters was just effing brutal, and the directing probably wasn't much better.

George Lucas is a visionary, a spectacular idea man, but it's no accident that his best work was with writing/directing help. (Like, say, The Empire Strikes Back or the various Indiana Jones movies.)

Yet also his best work was ANH, in which he wrote and directed that. But anyway they did fine.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Yet also his best work was ANH, in which he wrote and directed that. But anyway they did fine.

Even if you accept that ANH was his best movie, the premise remains intact: A New Hope was the absolute nadir of Lucas' power and influence. He was beholden to the studio; he had budgetary and technological constraints. In fact, IIRC, when he shopped the movie around, most studios thought he was off his rocker. (Alan Ladd Jr. at Fox finally took a chance.)

The special edition of ANH always struck me as a mild gesture of revenge, actually. Lucas went back and added things that were entirely superfluous (like the Jabba scene, which explains almost exactly the same plot points as the previous scene with Greedo), just because he could.

Don't get me wrong; I like George. I think he's a genius. But just because you're a genius at one aspect of story telling, it doesn't follow that you must be a genius at every aspect of story telling. More to the point, having people around who aren't afraid to tell you you're wrong during the creative process is rarely a bad thing.

Edited by Invictos

Even if you accept that ANH was his best movie, the premise remains intact: A New Hope was the absolute nadir of Lucas' power and influence. He was beholden to the studio; he had budgetary and technological constraints. In fact, IIRC, when he shopped the movie around, most studios thought he was off his rocker. (Alan Ladd Jr. at Fox finally took a chance.)

The special edition of ANH always struck me as a mild gesture of revenge, actually. Lucas went back and added things that were entirely superfluous (like the Jabba scene, which explains almost exactly the same plot points as the previous scene with Greedo), just because he could.

Don't get me wrong; I like George. I think he's a genius. But just because you're a genius at one aspect of story telling, it doesn't follow that you must be a genius at every aspect of story telling. More to the point, having people around who aren't afraid to tell you you're wrong during the creative process is rarely a bad thing.

Agreed. George IS a genius. But.... and you KNOW there was a But coming.... He needs to learn to take constructive criticism, and let the superfan "OMGCRAPMOVIE" garbage go. I can see where he's coming from on the QQing he did over the Prequel hate, but come on. A little professionalism, and a few fans' remarks about how they were the "worst movies ever made" shouldn't have mattered to him. Every movie has its detractors. Some people just don't like Star Wars at all. I find them weird, but that's their view on it.

Personally, I do believe the prequels were bad movies, and sorely tested me as far as the cringe factor in the dialogue (which at times sounded like a bad Metal Gear script) and plot points that made no sense whatsoever.

I also realize that it would be impossible to capture the magic that was A New Hope again. That just isn't going to happen. Also, as far as the Jabba scene being added into ANH, it fit better with the book. As did the reunion between Luke and Biggs before the Battle of Yavin.

The ONLY part I had problems with in the rereleases was the Cantina Scene where it looked like Greedo got a reaction shot off. Then the NEXT rerelease where it looked like Greedo shot first. Han shot first and last, and only fired one round. Deal with it, new schoolers. :p

Am I the only one who noticed his character was so easily persuaded and naive, he always made terrible/annoying decisions, the Jedi would of never tolerated his actions, he was constantly angry but yet the jedi just let it ride. Anakin didn't know right from wrong from the get go....Very bad script, in short Anakin was a complete moron and very stupid

I guess no one saw Life as a House with Hayden and Kevin Kline. Hayden was great in that role.

Like someone pointed out, it does indeed come down to direction as to how to portray the characters.

Also, a great movie by Lucas was American Graffiti.

The dialogue and directing was the problem. It was forced. NOBODY could have pulled off acting that garbage. It was like telling someone here's your lines. try to force emotion into them . George Lucas also has no clue how to do a love story. I have a hard time believing Padme would fall in love with anyone as weak willed as Anakin, especially since he seems to have aged 5 times faster than her. In 10 years he'd be an old man and she'd still look the same.

I wanted to see Anakin become a powerful Jedi with real character, that turns darkside because of circumstances. Instead they forced this whinny spoiled brat on us that was so easily manipulated by Palpatine that it wasn't believeable.

Obi-Wan never lets me do anything on my own----waaaaaahhh. They should treat me like an adult---waaahhhh. where's my blankie.

The dialogue and directing was the problem. It was forced. NOBODY could have pulled off acting that garbage. It was like telling someone here's your lines. try to force emotion into them . George Lucas also has no clue how to do a love story. I have a hard time believing Padme would fall in love with anyone as weak willed as Anakin, especially since he seems to have aged 5 times faster than her. In 10 years he'd be an old man and she'd still look the same.

I wanted to see Anakin become a powerful Jedi with real character, that turns darkside because of circumstances. Instead they forced this whinny spoiled brat on us that was so easily manipulated by Palpatine that it wasn't believeable.

Obi-Wan never lets me do anything on my own----waaaaaahhh. They should treat me like an adult---waaahhhh. where's my blankie.

Hmm....well I never saw that at all, but opinions are opinions so be happy. For the record, Anakin and Padme's ages weren't that far off, that you could see being a difference.

In EP 1: Anakin was 9, Padme was 14

EP 2: Anakin was 20, so this would made Padme 25

Not sure how old they were in EP 3, but their ages weren't far apart.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Star wars was never known for good acting, heck even Mark Hamill's acting was bad. But Christensen's acting was Keanu Reeves bad, meaning it almost single handedly ruined the entire prequels. Lets face it, the guy cant act, even in life as a house his delivery was bad, like when his character was berrating kevin kline saying "thats child abuse i can report you for this" makes me cringe everytime, Jumper was an equally moronic exercise for him. Is it no wonder he hasnt done a note worthy role since Jumper? Coz the studios now he is bad and lost all faith in him.

Star wars was never known for good acting, heck even Mark Hamill's acting was bad. But Christensen's acting was Keanu Reeves bad, meaning it almost single handedly ruined the entire prequels. Lets face it, the guy cant act, even in life as a house his delivery was bad, like when his character was berrating kevin kline saying "thats child abuse i can report you for this" makes me cringe everytime, Jumper was an equally moronic exercise for him. Is it no wonder he hasnt done a note worthy role since Jumper? Coz the studios now he is bad and lost all faith in him.

Actually, Mark Hamill is probably the most underrated actor ever. Just the looks on his face in RotJ when he figured out Leia was his sister. OMG she's my sister! OMG she kissed me!!! OMG and I LIKED it!!!!!!! Ah, heck, I'd kiss her again. :p

Christiansen did well with what he had. He's not a good actor by any means, but he's not bad. The character sheet for Anakin was just really badly written. Christiansen didn't shine until the 3rd installment, and even then his tendency to overact (which, let's be honest, was present in Eps 4, 5, and 6 ad nauseum ... the only difference is that they were better scripts), he did a great job in that episode, though Ewan McGregor carried 100% of those scenes.

Even in Ep 1, the kiddo (Jake Lloyd), when you get right down to it, wasn't a totally bad actor for that role. Analyze his dialogue, his expressions, and you'll see that it came down to a badly written script, not his acting (which, even so, was no more/no less, than any other script from Hollywood). Was he mis-cast? Definitely, but he, like Christiansen, did okay with what he had to deal with.

My biggest beef with the Prequels is the "sudden aging" of Anikan from Ep 1 to Ep 2, and the fact of the love interest with Padme ... single biggest blunder in writing history. Little kid gets a crush on an older woman, becomes a teen and engages in what amounts to an elicit affair ... hallmarks of a sort of reverse Lolita there). Lucas should have cast a younger Padme in the first episode, same age as Anikan at the time, and then FF to Episode 2 when they're both older.

That being said, I think it's almost genious that Lucas did what he did ... it adds subtle levels of taboo (Anakin being younger, and thus more passionate and innocent, while Padme is older, more experienced, but yet just as naive, yet in some respects cunning). He just didn't do that dynamic justice.

Christiansen did well with what he had. He's not a good actor by any means, but he's not bad. The character sheet for Anakin was just really badly written. Christiansen didn't shine until the 3rd installment, and even then his tendency to overact (which, let's be honest, was present in Eps 4, 5, and 6 ad nauseum ... the only difference is that they were better scripts), he did a great job in that episode, though Ewan McGregor carried 100% of those scenes.

Even in Ep 1, the kiddo (Jake Lloyd), when you get right down to it, wasn't a totally bad actor for that role. Analyze his dialogue, his expressions, and you'll see that it came down to a badly written script, not his acting (which, even so, was no more/no less, than any other script from Hollywood). Was he mis-cast? Definitely, but he, like Christiansen, did okay with what he had to deal with.

My biggest beef with the Prequels is the "sudden aging" of Anikan from Ep 1 to Ep 2, and the fact of the love interest with Padme ... single biggest blunder in writing history. Little kid gets a crush on an older woman, becomes a teen and engages in what amounts to an elicit affair ... hallmarks of a sort of reverse Lolita there). Lucas should have cast a younger Padme in the first episode, same age as Anikan at the time, and then FF to Episode 2 when they're both older.

That being said, I think it's almost genious that Lucas did what he did ... it adds subtle levels of taboo (Anakin being younger, and thus more passionate and innocent, while Padme is older, more experienced, but yet just as naive, yet in some respects cunning). He just didn't do that dynamic justice.

Their ages weren't that far apart....

Anakin was 9, Padme was 14 in TPM

Anakin was 20 and Padme was 25 in ATOC

Its fine.

Their ages weren't that far apart....

Anakin was 9, Padme was 14 in TPM

Anakin was 20 and Padme was 25 in ATOC

Its fine.

Something I wasn't aware of (thanks for the 411).

I guess in that context it's not that bad (9/14 year olds ... I've seen it happen in RL), but it's still just a bit ... creepy. Guess that's my old-fashion values kicking in. One thing I have to give credit for, in light of this info, is that in Ep 1, she didn't encourage it, but didn't totally destroy his world for having such a crush. The Force knows when I was that age, I had crushes on much older teens/young women who didn't encourage it (and when I was those ages, vice versa), but handled it appropriately and with grace.

Even so, there was so much more maturity in Padme that it made it a bit freaky. I would have guessed her to be 17/18, if not early 20s in TPM.

Edited by Wire_Razors

Something I wasn't aware of (thanks for the 411).

I guess in that context it's not that bad (9/14 year olds ... I've seen it happen in RL), but it's still just a bit ... creepy. Guess that's my old-fashion values kicking in. One thing I have to give credit for, in light of this info, is that in Ep 1, she didn't encourage it, but didn't totally destroy his world for having such a crush. The Force knows when I was that age, I had crushes on much older teens/young women who didn't encourage it (and when I was those ages, vice versa), but handled it appropriately and with grace.

Even so, there was so much more maturity in Padme that it made it a bit freaky. I would have guessed her to be 17/18, if not early 20s in TPM.

Well Padme was the ruler of Naboo, so she did need to be mature and all that...so I guess that could be expected.