The END of SWTOR

Dreknathar

hi all!

i was just commenting on some official SWTOR Facebook post, when a guy replied to me, that soon, SWTOR might be shut down for good, because EA is moving on to other projects and the devs will be used for Anthem and other games.

Anthem looks cool, i like it, but will they pull the plug on SWTOR?

Anyone know of any sources to confirm or deny this?

And if it is true..how soon will it happen?

Thanks!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all!

i was just commenting on some official SWTOR Facebook post, when a guy replied to me, that soon, SWTOR might be shut down for good, because EA is moving on to other projects and the devs will be used for Anthem and other games.

Thanks!

The truth is that no one knows for sure when the game will end.

There a lot of opinions and speculations about what will happen to this game, particularly if Anthem after release, is deemed a failure by EA.

Kieth just released a "roadmap" for lack of better phrasing giving glimpses into the future of what is planned for SWTOR in the next 2 updates and a little bit beyond. However, I think it's important to note that these are plans, and plans are subject to change.

The truth is that there is no official word on when this game will come to an end.

Edited by SolarSaenz

hi all!

Thanks!

god...this is getting seriously out of control, where is the forum moderators? They should perma ban these fake accounts. SWTOR forums literally turned into a garbage-collection area. There's like 5 different "swtor is dying" threads everyday.

This game is not dying anytime soon, is that so hard to understand?

I don't think there is much hope for SWTOR. When Keith said they are using trickle down content instead of expansions from now on, that set off a red flag for me to unsubscribe. I subscribed when i found out Risha was coming back and wanted to see if there was a reason to stay. After the newest roadmap, I got my answer. I've played on and off since launch, but the expansions always brought me back and I always felt like I got my money's worth.

There is no franchise like Star Wars and I always wanted a game to immerse myself in like I did with SWG and SWTOR. But just like Galaxies, I know when it's time to take a step back and play something else. It's too sad to watch this once great game on life support.

While this is true ^

If 2018 ends up being like 2017 the way bioware said it would. We are indeed in trouble.

I agree with that statement.

I guesstimate that the majority of players/subscribers are die hard star wars fans, who like me perhaps, have been waiting for this game quite literally their whole life and want to hold onto their dream of having their own customized character in the SW universe (even if no longer "official" Disney SW cannon) for as long as possible.

Someone made a post last week, I think, about how it would be a good idea to add extra incentive to maintaining a subscription. Keith mentioned some new subscriber rewards coming in the future; I hope those are good ones.

hi all!

Thanks!

So, basically, you believe anything anyone on the internet tells you... even when you have no idea who that "anyone" is, much less where they got their ideas from?

This topic has been discussed to death over the last two weeks, courtesy of a couple of unsubstantiated blog posts on the internet. You could have easily searched for these recent discussions... if you actually cared about seeing what others think abou the topic. We do not need yet another thread about the same unsubstantiated and as yet unconfirmed allegations by click-bait websites.

Basically, you, and others here.. have been "played" by a couple of click-bait blogs that absolutely know the best way to get some traffic for free is to simply write something, anything, negative about a game.

Edited by Andryah

I agree with that statement.

I guesstimate that the majority of players/subscribers are die hard star wars fans, who like me perhaps, have been waiting for this game quite literally their whole life and want to hold onto their dream of having their own customized character in the SW universe (even if no longer "official" Disney SW cannon) for as long as possible.

Someone made a post last week, I think, about how it would be a good idea to add extra incentive to maintaining a subscription. Keith mentioned some new subscriber rewards coming in the future; I hope those are good ones.

Given bioware can produce only a smallest bit of new content relying so heavily on gamers repeating stale old content I think it would be wise to give the subscribers they have left a solid incentive to keep subbing.

Some player retentive mechanic for getting on each day or week or even per month if it's really good enough.

I used to enjoy logging into marvel heroes for the daily rewards. I hear Lotro has a daily reward kind of bonus as well.

IT wouldn't hurt swtor at all to have something of interest in that area as well because their strength isn't a solid new content cadence.

So, basically, you believe anything anyone on the internet tells you... even when you have no idea who that "anyone" is, much less where they got their ideas from?

This topic has been discussed to death over the last two weeks, courtesy of a couple of unsubstantiated blog posts on the internet. You could have easily searched for these recent discussions... if you actually cared about seeing what others think abou the topic. We do not need yet another thread about the same unsubstantiated and as yet unconfirmed allegations by click-bait websites.

Basically, you, and others here.. have been "played" by a couple of click-bait blogs that absolutely know the best way to get some traffic for free is to simply write something, anything, negative about a game.

Really? They probably have less than 10 people on staff. EA isn't putting any more money into the game. They are just trying to milk it as far as they can before no one is playing anymore. Sparse new content means that people will leave in droves, the CM will not bring in the money and the game will "officially" be in maintenance mode.

Do you people realize there are rumors like this about every MMO or online game ever released? This game makes money, a lot of them, do you really think it will be shut down ? Everything, absolutely everything has a financial motivation, i really don't see how a game like Anthem can ever make the same money as SWTOR, do you?

Do you people realize there are rumors like this about every MMO or online game ever released? This game makes money, a lot of them, do you really think it will be shut down ? Everything, absolutely everything has a financial motivation, i really don't see how a game like Anthem can ever make the same money as SWTOR, do you?

Anthem will be available on consoles too - it'll surpass SWTOR the first week.

Anthem will be available on consoles too - it'll surpass SWTOR the first week.

True, but Anthem is not Star Wars. It has only one class ( even if the armors and jetpacks are cool and i'm drooling) . No lightsabers, no moral conflicts, no love & loss.. Anthem seems a bit dry.

I think if anything were to have any indication that the plug might be pulled is this...

https://www.change.org/p/lucasfilm-revoke-ea-s-star-wars-license

The petition to revoke EA’s license needs 200k signatures and they are currently at 190k ...

If this even has any merit towards having EA’s license removed this would be it. So it could be next week or next month but 10k signed signatures left isn’t a heck of a lot imo.

True, but Anthem is not Star Wars. It has only one class ( even if the armors and jetpacks are cool and i'm drooling) . No lightsabers, no moral conflicts, no love & loss.. Anthem seems a bit dry.

I *THINK* Anthem is appealing to a different subset of gamers, either ones that are all about Halo and/or Call of Duty type games or just general gamers and aren't going out of their way to appeal to MMO and/or RPG type games.

I *THINK* Anthem will have a strong start. But, once the luster starts to fade, so will the game's population, especially if there's nothing that innovative about Anthem that separates it from Destiny, the most recent Call of Duty, and other established FPS games and FPS franchises.

I doubt that Anthem will be considerably profitable enough to justify EA supporting the game for 10 years, as one of EA's VPs said (the reference is on the Wikipedia page for the Anthem game).

But, you never know. We will have to wait and see how Anthem goes.

Oh, I agree, but the Star Wars name doesn't mean as much to gaming these days as it once did. Destiny and Overwatch have enough of a following that Anthem will likely see a good chunk of their players and money for a month before people return to where they came from. EA will copy both games the best they can, but both Overwatch and Destiny actually care about their product - EA is just trying to introduce a clone to make a quick buck. It will lack all the enhanced features that those two games have improved since they launched, making Anthem old from the start.

Yet they are putting all their eggs in that basket, to SWTOR's detriment. We all agree with your assessment above, but it appears Bioware is focused on Anthem over anything else regardless of what we think or what makes the most sense to us.

Oh, I agree, but the Star Wars name doesn't mean as much to gaming these days as it once did. Destiny and Overwatch have enough of a following that Anthem will likely see a good chunk of their players and money for a month before people return to where they came from. EA will copy both games the best they can, but both Overwatch and Destiny actually care about their product - EA is just trying to introduce a clone to make a quick buck. It will lack all the enhanced features that those two games have improved since they launched, making Anthem old from the start.

Do the Destiny devs really care though? I was under the impression the 2nd Game had a disastrous launch and an expansion that didn't improve much.

Is this the EA business model or pattern of operation?

See a successful and very profitable game and say "I want a big piece of that action."

Try to imitate it without fully understanding why it's successful in the first place and/or wanting to cut corners with development yet still expecting to do BETTER than those who came before.

Release to great fanfare.

Fizzle out in a relatively short amount of time.

Slow the game's development down until it might as well be in maintenance mode.

Rinse and repeat with another game/project.

It seems that EA did that with SWTOR, and it looks like they might be doing the same with Anthem.

If that is their model of operation, then that is

+1. I think they are a day late and a dollar short. Heaven forbid they should build on their strengths, honor the great game they already have, and make a serious, long-term effort to simply make SWTOR a better game than the competition.

Is this the EA business model or pattern of operation?

See a successful and very profitable game and say "I want a big piece of that action."

Try to imitate it without fully understanding why it's successful in the first place and/or wanting to cut corners with development yet still expecting to do BETTER than those who came before.

Release to great fanfare.

Fizzle out in a relatively short amount of time.

Slow the game's development down until it might as well be in maintenance mode.

Rinse and repeat with another game/project.

It seems that EA did that with SWTOR, and it looks like they might be doing the same with Anthem.

If that is their model of operation, then that is

It seems to be this, always chasing, or they buy a company that has done it well...then they slowly cut the staff to improve their bottom line until they successfully kill an entire niche and claim the interest just wasn't there any longer...

I'll be here until the end!

Yeah. Me too. But SWTOR will be the last thing to get my money as far as EA/BioWare is concerned. I'm firmly committed to that now. So I'm just going to ride it out till the end and enjoy playing my characters' stories till I cannot anymore.