Why should I have melee in my raid again?

My guild's cleared HM Toth and Zorn three weeks consecutively. Tonight on of our ranged dps had to take leave so we filled in with a shadow. We've been getting destroyed from the massive amounts of incoming damage.

We've got two sage healers, and I've read up on how to do it with three melee dps (switching to zorn during toth's berserk, moving out right before Toth jumps to Zorn, etc).

We haven't be able to get these guys to their 10 percent phase at all because either the sages are out of force, or we have multiple people die. Also, having to cleanse 5 people at a time is ridiculous.

This design is poor, and I can't believe it's in 1.2 since everyone complained so hard about melee unfriendly fights in 1.1. I realize there are many threads like this, but this is my experience with the encounter.

Edited by Dragonbgone

If you'd have read, instead of taking a cursory glance at the OP, you would realize he said he read a strategy about doing it with 3 meele DPS and NOT that he had 3 melee DPS.:rolleyes:

Because people look up 3-melee strategies for groups with 1 melee?

Because people look up 3-melee strategies for groups with 1 melee?

Ha! Now your trying to imply something that was never implied!

Simply based off the title of OPs thread we can safely assume he was doing this before with NO melee DPS and since 1 of his ranged had to go he had to replace it with a melee DPS and now is having issues.

Ha! Now your trying to imply something that was never implied!

Simply based off the title of OPs thread we can safely assume he was doing this before with NO melee DPS and since 1 of his ranged had to go he had to replace it with a melee DPS and now is having issues.

Usually have two melee dps: a vanguard and sentinel.

This week we had three.

Toth and Zorn are positioned 35 meters apart at all times (except transitions)

there are 3 reasons to have melee dps in ops, one is 6 s interupt another is sentinel/marauder +damage cooldown and very nice dps and the last is to have backup tanks geared or backup healers geared (not that i ve seen an ops/scoundrel dps in ops since january).

In most encounters melees have no real advantage over range, but interupts are critical and an extra taunt can do wonders in some encounters.

I've wondered the same thing. Our gunslingers do pretty much the same damage as our sentinels and do it from afar, taking little to no damage. Our commandos do a little less, but they not only take less damage, they can also offheal in dire situations. Melee dps are poo and heal sponges.

A melee heavy composition for Toth and Zorn definitely isn't ideal but not impossible. You can either have all dps switch their targets with the tanks, or do the whole: Marauder dps's Zorn, leaps to Toth before switch, waits for switch (to avoid fearful) then back onto Zorn.

Personally my guild much prefers the melee of toth, ranged on Zorn tactic, as it's worked best for us so far. However on Tuesday we had 6 melee instead of 5 so we just had one of the Powertechs switch with me (Tank) to try and even out the dps. It did sort of work, and we got very close a few times.

Though I probably should mention :p we didnt actually kill them until after 1 melee had to leave for some reason and so a ranged filled his spot. I don't think that was the deciding factor though, it was our first kill on 16m HM so it was more a matter of practise.

Also worth noting, although melee have more trouble surviving in fights for obvious reasons - in our raids it's often our Powertech, Assassin and Operative that push the highest numbers.

Our raid thankfully only has 1 melee dps (myself) and im frequently pulling aggro just from the ridiculous amounts of DPS I do. Generally I find that my dps in PvE cannot be matched by ranged players (one notable exception but he doesnt matter). So if that is of any help to you, which I doubt it will be then I hope you consider how valuable a melee dps can be in pushing down that last 10%

I also switch in as a backup tank if either tank dies, which is nice (juggernaut)

I've wondered the same thing. Our gunslingers do pretty much the same damage as our sentinels and do it from afar, taking little to no damage. Our commandos do a little less, but they not only take less damage, they can also offheal in dire situations. Melee dps are poo and heal sponges.

If your gunslingers are doing the same as your sentinel, you need to find a new sentinel.

To the OP

Sentinels do far FAR more DPS than ranged

Sentinels have many more interrupts than ranged

Sentinels can offtank the boss for a while if accidents happen with your tanks

Sentinels give party damage buff, and party run speed buff which can be invaluable for many fights.

Guardians do the same, except for the last two and less DPS.

I can't say the other melee classes bring much to the group, but you can always bring them along if they are friends. DPS vanguards still have good damage mitigation because of their armor and can take a few more hits.

Scoundrels are the ones that you can probably replace unless they are friends or guildies.

If your gunslingers are doing the same as your sentinel, you need to find a new sentinel.

To the OP

Sentinels do far FAR more DPS than ranged

Sentinels have many more interrupts than ranged

Sentinels can offtank the boss for a while if accidents happen with your tanks

Sentinels give party damage buff, and party run speed buff which can be invaluable for many fights.

Guardians do the same, except for the last two and less DPS.

I can't say the other melee classes bring much to the group, but you can always bring them along if they are friends. DPS vanguards still have good damage mitigation because of their armor and can take a few more hits.

Scoundrels are the ones that you can probably replace unless they are friends or guildies.

I do better dps than our mararuder (sentinel) have much better interrupts (6 seconds off the GCD) can actually offtank the boss as I have taunts, constantly de-buff what ever I attack to reduce it's damage by 4% my aoe is better than any other class I can think off (especially useful on fights like kephiss.) Not to mention I have a ranged pull and can better dps while moving or having to go at range (moving out during zoth and torn etc.) though I don't have the group cooldowns like a sentinal does ofc, to balance it out they should add a rade wide deuff like they did in wow or just give all ac damage specs a smilar ability relevent to their class.

Melee Dps is higher than ranged dps.

On my watchman sentinel i can get 1400 dps and usually have around 100k healing.

Also for 12 seconds sentinels can have close to the same defensive stats as tanks with their Blade ward+Rebuke as well as be invincible for 5 seconds which is always handy if the tank dies and someone needs to take the damage for the 8 seconds until the tank is up again.

Edited by Fracta

We usually run with 2 ranged 2 melee but had to run with 3 melee the other night too. We completely switched groups after the jump (Tanks swap places and bosses, melee and heals run with them) and it went smoothly. Only issue with 3 marauders is DPSing the bosses too quickly and having them jump back with 13secs of Fearful left to go ^^