Leveling as sawbones?

Deedlechach

Will I be doing myself a disservice by leveling in sawbones spec?

I really want to get acquanted with all of my healing moves, and I enjoy group healing while leveling, however the more I read, the more it seems like healing specs are useless until higher level.

What would you all suggest?

As Gassy said, it really falls back to your companion. Supposedly companions combat improves if you are heals or tank, helping questing not seem like as much of a slow grind. Being able to balance heals, throw in some blaster shots, and cc should make for a fun play style. Plus, you will be needed at all levels.

I really want to get acquanted with all of my healing moves, and I enjoy group healing while leveling, however the more I read, the more it seems like healing specs are useless until higher level.

As long as you play in a group or keep your companion upgraded you should be more than fine.

The only times I had troubles in the beta was when I moved into an area a bit above me (2-3 levels) or when my companion fell behind on gearing. It really helps to go armor tech or cybertech so you can update your companion's gear every 1-2 levels with either new items or new mods.

But be warned early on with sawbones you pretty much end up just spamming 1-2 abilities. Namely underworld healing. It isn't really until 30 when you have the HoT + instant and the cleanse that you really have a full rotation. It can get a bit dull and at times frustrating just spamming underworld healing but you just have to put up with it until your a bit higher level.

Levelling Sawbones in Beta was really useful I found. I had extra choices on how to deal with bosses and groups of difficult mobs, like using Corso to keep aggro while I kept him healed, and being able to run off and heal myself was useful. Past level 20 you get Slow-release Medpack which being instant is really helpful for keeping yourself topped up during fights.

Plus, you'll never have to wait all that long for Flashpoint groups as the chat in Republic Fleet is usually just full of "LF Healer for Hammer" etc (or it was in Beta!). Also, being a healer in PVP means you are five times more likely to win, because at low levels so few people bother healing at all, and that really is the key to winning things like Huttball.

I suggest you play the way you want to play. Leveling as a healer may be slower (I never played one so I have no clue) but you said you wanted to learn the healing mechanics and you would be doing just that. If you know you want to be a healer come endgame, then you can start down the Sawbones path. If you don't like it you can "respec" into the Scrapper or Dirty Fighting trees and return to Sawbones after you hit level 50.

Let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated on how it's going!

Thank you all! I've decided that I'll go ahead and level in sawbones spec. I've leveled and quested as healers before, and with a companion tanking I don't see it being an issue. Plus it will be much easier to find groups as a healer :p

Now the hard part, waiting for my early access email...

I played Scoundrel/Sawbones/ stealth and I got to level 32 in beta. It was a very fun class to play though there were some fights I absolutely needed help with because of the way the Scoundrel looses their portable cover ability after level 10.

I found I needed to spec stealth a little bit so that I could sneak past most of the trash mobs on the way in to the boss room, because that way if I avoided any fights all the way there my gear was all freshly repaired and I was the best I could be in that fight. Then on the way out I would complete the kill tasks for that quest and I would assume most classes would do that the opposite way.

I never spent more then a few minutes looking for a group, though some players did not seem to think my class could heal and I had to explain it to them. I will be playing the same class if they ever give me my EA date...heh

I have a somewhat obvious piece of advice that took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out.

Hotkey the companion attack command. Send in the companion tank first so he gets all the attention, then go run round behind the baddies and kick them in the groin or use your scattergun. All the while, keep an eye on your companions health and heal when you need to.

Also, sawbones totally rocks in flashpoints and the heroics. It's easy(ier) to get groups and it's easy to shine in those situations.