Immortal Juggs in ranked pvp?

bornindarkness

Hi,

I'm a returning player, last played 3 years ago.

Decided to start s jug tank on new server, Harbinger. I have 4 55s but want to refresh mechanics, and understand the new changes (there been quiet a few).

I would like eventually to take part in WZs, and ranked arenas.

I'd like to know if immortal Juggs any good for ranked, and I'd like to get gear recommendations.

Any other tips, advices recommendation are welcome.

If it maters I'm a sub.

Thank you.

Edited by bornindarkness

Hi,

I'm a returning player, last played 3 years ago.

Decided to start s jug tank on new server, Harbinger. I have 4 55s but want to refresh mechanics, and understand the new changes (there been quiet a few).

I would like eventually to take part in WZs, and ranked arenas.

I'd like to know if immortal Juggs any good for ranked, and I'd like to get gear recommendations.

Any other tips, advices recommendation are welcome.

If it maters I'm a sub.

Thank you.

For yolo queue:

Tank armorings

High endurance dps mods and enhancements (with power)

Fortitude augs+stim

As far as I know this is the ultimate setup for all tanks in yolo.

The key is to swap guard (ofc), maintain absorb shields from retailation and force scream, aoe damage with new buffed crushing blow. Most mitigation still comes from cooldowns.

For group ranked idk are juggs viable or not.

Edited by DerSchneider

I play an immortal jug. Got exemplar war leader but switched out the mods/enhancements for endurance/power/crit. By stacking crit/endurance u can get 80k hp and do crit hits for 10-12k average. Top hit i got was 17k. A friend went as high as 21k.

Basically, the immortal jugg specced like described is still damn near immortal and packs quite a punch. Not enough to melt healers but it can 1v1 pretty much any class.

It is easy to play but hard to master. Easy: you wont die fast and do decent dmg.

Hard to master: keeping pressure on enemies while changing guard on friendlies. A healer tank combo is insanely hard to kill but fighting 2v8 is not easy. It can be done however.

I would not call it OP but rather easier to play. Got my *** handed to me by a sentinel the other day. The guy was melting me like nothing I have ever seen. But I think the sentinel is a damn hard class to play

I play an immortal jug. Got exemplar war leader but switched out the mods/enhancements for endurance/power/crit. By stacking crit/endurance u can get 80k hp and do crit hits for 10-12k average. Top hit i got was 17k. A friend went as high as 21k.

Basically, the immortal jugg specced like described is still damn near immortal and packs quite a punch. Not enough to melt healers but it can 1v1 pretty much any class.

It is easy to play but hard to master. Easy: you wont die fast and do decent dmg.

Hard to master: keeping pressure on enemies while changing guard on friendlies. A healer tank combo is insanely hard to kill but fighting 2v8 is not easy. It can be done however.

I would not call it OP but rather easier to play. Got my *** handed to me by a sentinel the other day. The guy was melting me like nothing I have ever seen. But I think the sentinel is a damn hard class to play

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Could you give some pointers in a battle, are you stance dancing? Is it worth loosing all the buffs and resources, for increased damage?

Are you satying by your healer? Or in the mid of the fight?

Is immortal a good tank in ranked 4s?

IMO, any juggernaut afraid DOTs, sins pretty squishy but can be usefull in hard swap/fast switches comps coz of their possible burst. PT tank very good in any derp comp and pretty fat even in DPS gear, but yolo is a derp **** games as any regs, so if actually tank - not skank i tho PT is better choice. My 2 cents.

And PTs btw have more AOE range/better attack type to spread trauma.

Edited by helpmewin

Could you elaborate a bit? Why not? What they lack? Which tank would be a better choice?

Haven't played in a long time, I really don't know what are the cons and pros of a dot specced inquisitor.

The three different excell at different stats. Asassin is the "shield-tank", powertech the "absorb tank" and jugg is the "defense tank".

The problem is that for some very odd reason defense generated by gear does only work against "white" damage in pvp. With all Dots beeing "yellow damage", jugg has very little to offer to as protection against them. In addition, the way this class defensives cooldowns work, this class has even less to offer as protection against beeint tunneled. Biggest problem is their lack of good defensive cooldowns in substitute for the selfheal. While the selfheal is incredible strong in 1vs1 sitations, it doesnt scale well for group ranked.

As a result, all three jugg speccs are prone to beeing tunneled, especially by dots.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. Could you give some pointers in a battle, are you stance dancing? Is it worth loosing all the buffs and resources, for increased damage?

Are you satying by your healer? Or in the mid of the fight?

Is immortal a good tank in ranked 4s?

No, stay in soresu form because your main objective is to tank for the healer. Keep him guarded. Switch guard if healer isnt being target but another friendly is. Once he is safe alwaus by default guard your healer.

Jugg is imho the best tank. But thats just me. My immortal juggy can defend an objective against 3-4 guys for 45-60 seconds. Use your defensive cooldowns wisely. Combined with stunning.

Also good manoeverability. You can literally jump around the battlefield. Intercede has low cd. With psuh you activate force jump. Blitz has low cd and if specced can get get you of immobilized.

Just make sure to use taunts a lot as well. I usually jump right into the middle. As soon as my pocket healer is so mych as being glanced at I intercede to him and make sure they leave him alone. As long as healer isnt being hit, jump in and start dpsing. But never leave soresu form

Oh great. So Juggs are so OP that they are being called "immortal" now? First sorcs, now juggs? Sheeeesh. ;)

Seriously though, I know that PT tanks have been strong due to their decent tankiness coupled with quite good damage for a tank. It does appear the jugg tanks may be significantly better this season due to better damage.

Oh great. So Juggs are so OP that they are being called "immortal" now? First sorcs, now juggs? Sheeeesh. ;)

Seriously though, I know that PT tanks have been strong due to their decent tankiness coupled with quite good damage for a tank. It does appear the jugg tanks may be significantly better this season due to better damage.

1) lol

2) yea pretty much.

The three different excell at different stats. Asassin is the "shield-tank", powertech the "absorb tank" and jugg is the "defense tank".

To quote not-so-esteemed olleagues, "LOLWUT"?

It is slightly the other way around - Sin favours absorb, PT favours shield. Assuming you mean the +stats you need.

I have a very decent 90k Sin tank, as others have said, high endurance with crit and power mixed in. On a good day in regs I do upwards of 1.5mil damage / 1mil protection, in arenas I can do 900k-1mil dmg and whatever prot needs to happen (depends on how bad the enemy is).

The "skank" build is decent at surviving, but you really have a hard time mitigating damage. High health and cooldowns are the only thing going for you. With a good healer, that's all you need. I haven't had a chance to test various gear builds in team ranked becaus it is dead even during season peak, let alone now on my server.

Speaking of mitigation - there are a lot of theorycraftable theories as to how (in0effective defensive stats are due to the obscene crit these days, as well as all the damage types.

Here is a rundown of the gear I've encountered (not necessarily worn myself) and how it performed:

• Conservative Skank: Tank armorinngs, earpiece and implants. DPS relics, and shield for an offhand. Fortitude stim and augments, Lethal 40X-B mods (power with high-endurance) and the 137 endurance/a little crit enhancements (forgot the name). All in all, this build costs you about 32k WZ comms, and is my favourite. It makes me a viable threat on the battlefield (regardless of tank class) and provides adequate survivability in 1v1 situations (although you really should not be doing that as a tank). I find that I have to go all out against competent DPS, because their damage output is higher then mine and the only thing going for me is a higher TTK. Large Health pull lets me do a lot of guarding and guardwapping, and I find I have a 95% guard uptime, even without a healer. I often have to phase walk out of cobmat and reheal if the situation allows it. This build is very good with regs, where focus target is a legend (if not a myth). You absolutely need a healer if the target you are guarding is being attacked by more then 2 people, or you are.
  • "Mean Mitigation" tank: Never run this build. It involves a perfect balance of defensive stats. Your HP is much like any other DPS, and you have low damage output, but you can do so-so if someone is healing you. You can mitigate maybe half the stuff flying around you, like improperly geared snipers or weak marauders. Or yellow burst classes with too little crit. Don't recommend this too much.
  • "G'day, I'm Rambo": Tank armorings, shield offhand. DPS relics, implants, optimized DPS crit mods, power augments; versatile stim. This set also costs ~32k comms, but I've never worn it and detest anyone who does. Why? Because the set's only purpose is to stroke the "tank"'s ego. Your HP pull is just like any other DPS, passive defensives make you a little more survivalbe in the thick of combat, and the tank accuracy boost, as well as the high crit/power you're running, make you on par with an average Hatred/Serenity Sin/Shadow in terms of damage numbers. I find that people who run thsi build (on my server) have virtually no killing blows or solo kills, virtually no defensive objective points, and never once cap anything in their life if they can help it. Not even orbs in AHG. What do they do? They always group with a healer and try to get said healer to take as much damage as possible (i.e. stand in the thick of things, instead of LOSing and kiting like good healers do) so they can have high protection numbers while spamming AoE attacks. Seen Juggs and VGs do it, not so much Shadows. Because shadow is more single target burst and harder to get fluff damage. These clowns go so far as to guard other tanks, if only it gives them a oost to numbers, but are ultimately useless in arenas (in fact they quit them if they ever enter one) because any degree of competence can beat them. Highly don't recommend running gear set like this.
  • Conservative Mitigation: this is an interesting build, slightly less expensive expensive because you are actually using some of the default gear, and involves running proper tank (you heard that right) enhancements, along with the usual tank offhand, ear/implant, and setbonus. The curious thing is that you run the Lethal-B mods and tank relics. I have not tested this set on a Guardian/Jugg yet, and the lack of defence might be not such a good idea for your spec, but on a PT and Sin it has very interesting results. Namely, while you have a lower HP pool (due to having proper enhancements), you take less spike damage and you don't need a Sage/Sorc or Mando/Merc healer to keep you alive. Even a scoundrel/operative can do it. The extra power allows you to do a little bit more damage then a pure tank, but the extra mitigation helps you in non-DOT fights.
  • When I have a chance to gear right, I would like to test the above build but with high-endurance tank enhancemetns, but I don't think that will go over all that well. While you still have your neato 90k HP, your overall mitigation is abysmal, and you don't even have the damage output to comepensate. On the other hand, your job is not to damage, your job is to spunge damage. If the mitigation puts you above the normal skanktanks in q, it might be worth it. We shall see...

In addition, I find it important to note that you absolutely need a shield as an offhand. Without it, you get no defensive stats, even those that come from your skill tree. Might not be as important on a +Defense guardian, but on the other two it is paramount. As I remarked previously, it is better to do your job, then to have good numbers.

As for implants and earpiece - I am running tank ones because they have more HP, see above for reasoning. And well, even a few hundred points of defensive stat give you some survivability over the various rambo types out there.

And stancedancing is a rather pointless waste of time for a tank. You chose tank specifically to guard people, it is on your team to DPS the enemy down. The brief moment of extra DPS is negatively offset by the fact your squishy PVE hero sentinel with 56k HP just died.