client_settings.ini changes dont work

Mafusail

Title.

What i do is open .ini, change resulotion (width, height, nativewirdth and nativeheight) to 4k. Save the file. Put the file in "read only" mode. Save this. Close. Start a game via launcher. And it's on my previous 1080p. I'm sitting at 1080p monitor myself. I tried to change only width and height to 3840/2160 and dont touch the native ones/ it still didnt work.

Yes, it does get better if you play in 4k on 1080p monitor. Not as good as on 4k monitor, but still better. Models have less edges and in some case i dont have to turn on anti-aliasing at all (like in Destiny 2).

I dont have a bitraider client. At some point my game just didnt want to login (common problem), so i had to delete it.

What can be the problem? I have some thoughts about game launcher either having it's own settings file, or just hardcoded to override it in-game, but i couldnt launch swtor directly to avoid this.

If you've downloaded the PTS version, there are two separate client_settings.ini files:

* C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\client_settings.ini

* C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Local\SWTOR\publictest\settings\client_settings.ini

The first is for the "Live" game, and the second is for the PTS. They are independent of each other. Make sure you're modifying the right one. (I have a third one somewhere else entirely that won't be used by SWTOR, but it's a remnant of some fun and games I was having last year migrating my network to an Active Directory domain.(1))

I'm searching an old installation on a previously-Windows-7 PC to see if it keeps another one somewhere else.

((Nothing found yet)) ((No, nothing found at all))

It might also be getting confused by the read-only marker, and deciding to fall back on the default of "the most the monitor can handle".

(1) My own, thanks, with Samba 4.6 on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ acting as the domain controller.

I would assume you've tried setting 4K in-game but, have you?

My only guess would be that the game won't set a resolution higher than what the monitor can handle. In some games you can set a higher rez and then down-sample to something less, but perhaps SWTOR can't do that.

Title.

What i do is open .ini, change resulotion (width, height, nativewirdth and nativeheight) to 4k. Save the file. Put the file in "read only" mode. Save this. Close. Start a game via launcher. And it's on my previous 1080p. I'm sitting at 1080p monitor myself. I tried to change only width and height to 3840/2160 and dont touch the native ones/ it still didnt work.

If you have an Nvidia card you can do this via DSR in the control panel?

If you have an Nvidia card you can do this via DSR in the control panel?

Control Panel's DSR is not even an option in a specific game list. It loads specificly set up profile for that game, and there is just no DRS option in SWTOR.exe profile. Both in launcher and just swtor.exe. In general profile it is, but it is not that NVCP loads.

GeForce Experience gives and option to set DSR option, but when a game actually launches, it has a giant pink square instead of all models. It's bugged as hell. It happened to load it up correctly, for once, but i saw only 1\4 of a picture. So DSR manages to upscale it, but cant downscale it back to a monitor's resolution. If there is a way to let the game think that my monitor's resolution is 4k, that would be way easier, because seems like this is the problem.

Found a way.

You load a game via "optimised" setting and you have to do it via NVGFE. This way NVGFE overrides SWTOR's Launcher settings.

You open preferences and see a resolution for DSR in in-game menu.

You set 4k.

You vomit.

You never do that again.

Strangely enough, a mouse cursor becomes like 4 times bigger, while ALL interface become 2-3 times smaller AND blurry as hell. It becomes barely readable. A picture is also blurried.

F.

UPD. Found that DSR blurrines can be tweaked in NVCP. And that it is possible to make windowed borderless AND 4k DSR. But the problem of tiiiiiny tiny UI still exists. If this can be solved, that will be a win.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Mafusail

But the problem of tiiiiiny tiny UI still exists. If this can be solved, that will be a win.

Any suggestions?

That has been discussed before in these forums, but I don't recall anyone ever coming up with a solution for it.

Maybe you should just play in 1080p. :D

EDIT - that is, people have discussed the tiny cursor. Some of the UI issues can be helped by increasing the scale factor - both the overall scale and the scale of individual parts - in the Interface Editor.

Edited by JediQuaker

That has been discussed before in these forums, but I don't recall anyone ever coming up with a solution for it.

Maybe you should just play in 1080p. :D

EDIT - that is, people have discussed the tiny cursor. Some of the UI issues can be helped by increasing the scale factor - both the overall scale and the scale of individual parts - in the Interface Editor.

The problem is not only in little castbars. The main problem is the text. It's not readable at all, in some cases. Some stuff like tooltips (not all) and boxed helptips (the one that appear by mouseover near the cursor sometimes) are the ones that cant be readable. This is the main problem.

In 4k, text quality is good, but it's so tiny. In other resolutions, scaling is really, reeeeally bad. Some letters, like 9 and S cant be distinguished one from another.

The problem is not only in little castbars. The main problem is the text. It's not readable at all, in some cases. Some stuff like tooltips (not all) and boxed helptips (the one that appear by mouseover near the cursor sometimes) are the ones that cant be readable. This is the main problem.

In 4k, text quality is good, but it's so tiny. In other resolutions, scaling is really, reeeeally bad. Some letters, like 9 and S cant be distinguished one from another.

After reading the posts in this thread, I went to check out this fantastic DSR feature from NVidia. Like you said, the text is minuscule. The only thing I thought of was to use the ui interface editor and increase the global scale. It's kind of a work around.

After reading the posts in this thread, I went to check out this fantastic DSR feature from NVidia. Like you said, the text is minuscule. The only thing I thought of was to use the ui interface editor and increase the global scale. It's kind of a work around.

It's a workaround *only* in the sense that in an ideal world, SWTOR should adjust it automatically when the configured resolution is very large (meaning big pixel counts ===> bigger than 1920x1080p, for example). If you have "true" 4K (3840x2160 on a 3840x2160 screen), the text is similarly tiny unless you mess with the global scale.

Try to remember, this game runs under DirectX 9c.

DirectX 9c only supports screen sizes up to 1920 x 1080 period. Anything higher gives you a bigger window but everything on the screen is still rendered at a 1920 x 1080 resolution, there is no way to change that. If the game was DirectX 12 then 4K would not be a problem but it's not it's DirectX 12 it's DirectX 9c.

Using the overall screen scaling will defeat your using 4K resolutions since your going to be reducing the screen to 1920 x 1080 when you scale the everything up in size.

Since the cursor and text is all drawn by DirectX 9c it will also never be any bigger than 1920 x 1080 resolution. So put on your magnifying glasses to make that text and cursor bigger, or use software. Those are about your only choices.

Try to remember, this game runs under DirectX 9c.

DirectX 9c only supports screen sizes up to 1920 x 1080 period. Anything higher gives you a bigger window but everything on the screen is still rendered at a 1920 x 1080 resolution, there is no way to change that.

There's no way to change that because it is blatantly untrue. There's a clearly visible difference between "true" 1920x1080 on a 4K screen and 3840x2160 on the same screen. Diagonal edges are slightly "steppy" in 1920x1080, and definitely smoother in 4K.

The problem is not only in little castbars. The main problem is the text. It's not readable at all, in some cases.

A large part of the problem is that you are trying to read 4K text on a 1080 screen (in the OP's case). You're trying to squeeze 4x the pixels into 1/4 the space, so naturally, some pixels have to go.

Even on a 4K screen the text can be really small, but at least it's relatively crisp. It can still be hard to read if you have a relatively small monitor or a laptop.

I've often considered getting a newer 1440p or 4K monitor, but these old eyes have enough problems with 1080p. 😊

For me, games in 4K look pretty in screenshots or when you're standing still, but during action it's not really noticeable, especially with a bit of AA.

My advice to the OP is to basically just play in 1920x1080 until you get a 4K monitor. 🙂