The Solution to the "Game is Too Easy Crisis"

Swissbob

My Solution to the "Game is Too Easy Crisis"

Original Title: A Recycling Bin for "Game is Too Easy" Threads (And Why Player Choice is the Solution!"

Yes, I realize I am likely going to forum hell for creating yet another thread about this topic.

And also, yes, I know the word "crisis" is a bit of hyperbole. That's why I put it in quotes.... to connote something colorful/debatable/subjective.

TL;DR Available at bottom of Part 4, in big green letters.

Contents:

-Part 1: The Intro, or Why I am Making this Thread

--Part 2: Arguments in Defense of the Current (Easy) Level of Challenge

---Part 3: Arguments in Opposition of the Current (Easy) Level of Challenge

----Part 4: The Solution: More Player Choice

Part 1: The Intro, or Why I'm Making This Thread

Since 4.0 came out months ago, thread after thread has been made about the level of inherent challenge in solo content, and there seems to be no end in sight. I think it is safe to say it is at least one of the major controversial topics that has risen up from the changes of 4.0.

As it is one my personal major criticisms with 4.0 (that the game has been made even easier... to the point of combat being pointless), I've spent a lot of time in these threads posting various responses to arguments from both sides, but of course these simple arguments get repeated over and over in every single thread made about this topic. I've now gathered quite a large recycling bin of stock responses I repost when these arguments get used. And since there seems to be no end in sight to these arguments getting used (and me subsequently responding to them), I think it's past time I consolidate all of my responses into one place, so I don't have to go digging through my own post history to find the thing I want to copy and paste.

That one place is this thread.

And while this is largely for my own purposes, I am posting it publicly to the forums in the hopes to get feedback/discussion on either the arguments themselves, my responses, and/or my proposed solution.

(And yes, all arguments used are roughly word for word arguments I have seen be used on these forums)

If you read nothing else, please read Part 4.

Part 2: Arguments in Defense of the Current (Easy) Level of Challenge

Argument: "The game was always easy!"

Response:

So? This is not only a red herring to the actual issue.... but it's logically deficient as well. Just because the game was always X, doesn't defend it being even more X. For instance, try out these phrases and see if this argument really makes sense:

"The game was always boring, so it's okay that it is even more boring!"

"The game was always too expensive, so it's okay that it is even more expensive!"

"The game was always broken, so it's okay that it is even more broken!"

You see how this doesn't pan out in the logic department?

Furthermore, and to the actual issue..... just because there was only a little challenge before, doesn't justify there being no challenge now. I like a challenging game. And you're right, SWTOR, at least its solo content, was never a challenging game. But there could be a a little challenge. Maybe it was a class boss, or a particularly difficult gold..... there used to be, every once and a while, a particular fight that would be a close fight. Just a little bit of challenge, that might even require using medpacs or a heroic moment. You know.... tense, compelling gameplay that injects some excitement and fun into the game.

Now, you automatically win by doing nothing. No really,

There is no excitement, no sense of triumph over adversity, no stakes to lose, no tension, and therefore no fun. And sure, 1.0 - 3.2 SWTOR had very little of these things in solo content combat. But just because it had very little, doesn't mean that it is okay to now have none.

TL;DR Just because there wasn't much of a good thing before, doesn't mean its okay to have none of that good thing. There's a big difference between little challenge, and no challenge.

Argument: "The game is for people who like it Easy, they are the majority, people who want challenge are the minority, don't like it, then leave."

Response:

I won't even dispute this premise, even though I don't think it is as set in stone as many believe. This argument is poor for enough reasons already.

By this logic, any group that is not a majority of players should not be catered to in any capacity, and should leave. Operations players? They are a minority, and therefore shouldn't be paid attention to. PvP'ers? Minority, shouldn't be paid attention to.

You see how this mentality can be detrimental to the game? Sizeable minorities are important. If everyone who wants a challenge in solo content left, Bioware would see a huge chunk of their profits gone. Same thing if everyone who wanted more Ops left, or better PvP left, etc. and so forth. Sizeable minorities are important. And they need to be catered to. Not at the expense of the majority, but still, catered to nonetheless.

What do I mean "catered to not at the expense of the majority?" See part 4.

Argument: "It's the dev's game, they can do what they want with it! You don't like it? Leave!"

Response:

Of course the dev's can do what they want with the game. No one here is disputing that, and stating so does absolutely nothing to argue for one way or the other.

We're here on the forums to discuss what the devs should do. You know, what will make them the most money, and more importantly what will result in the best game, that will provide the most amount of entertainment to the most amount of players.

And what the devs do isn't always the best. For instance, all game breaking glitches are done, even if indirectly, by the devs. Do you defend these game breaking glitches simply because "the devs did it?"

The "devs can do what they want with the game" answer is the same as answering "Because someone told me to" when asked why you jumped off a cliff.

As another poster here said:

Yeah, the devs MAKE the game, but that doesn't mean everything they do is healthy for it. There are such things as bad ideas. In fact, the people who play the game, ie the "end user" should have the final say in this matter since it's them who are devoting their free time (and money) to the enjoyment of the product. If it's not worth a player's time to play (or money), then the devs failed in their endeavor to captivate an audience.

Bottom line: The devs make the game for the players. If the players aren't happy, the devs aren't happy. If people are leaving over things they don't like the devs doing, then it defeats the purpose of the devs making changes to the game in the first place.

Hence, the entire argument is illogical. There is obviously an issue, otherwise there wouldn't be this discussion. And since there is an issue, it has to be addressed. [...]

Asking people to leave if they don't like something is how niche crowds are made. And that is pretty much the worst possible audience for an MMO.

Argument: "This game is only about story! You shouldn't be playing for any other reason besides story, so why care about combat?"

Response:

Is story the MAIN point of SWTOR? Sure I can agree with you there. But the ONLY thing it's about? I disagree. If that was truly the case, why put combat in the game at all? If story is the only facet of SWTOR, shouldn't it just be a series of cutscenes that flow from one immediately to the other? If combat is an irrelevant part of the game, why are there mobs every ten feet, and the majority of the game's controls influence how you fight in combat, and a majority of the game's systems (gear, abilties, crafting, companion influence, etc.) revolve almost solely around combat?

You may say combat has no point anymore (in solo content).... And you know what? I'd actually agree with you. It doesn't really have a point because it's no longer gameplay. It doesn't require the player to press buttons, and you win be default by doing nothing. It's a pointless timesink as you watch your companions kill all the enemies in front of you until the path is clear so you can begin the next cutscene.

But it doesn't need to be that way, and it certainly wasn't intended to be that way (at launch, at least).

If combat was made engaging, tense, exciting, fun..... now you'd have another facet to the game. You'd have a fun gameplay element that extends drastically the amount of time and enjoyment a player can have in the game.

For many players, how do you do this? Well, it varies.

-For some, add a lot of challenge.

-For some, add a little challenge.

-Granted, for some, keep it the way it is now.

-And finally, for some, you simply can't, so give them an option to skip it all together.

How could this be? See Part 4.

Argument: "But there are already areas of the game that are challenging! Go play PvP or NiM Ops if you want challenge!"

Response:

This is much like the "It was never hard" argument. It's a red herring to the actual issue, and is logically deficient for the same reasons. Try out these statements, and see if the logic holds up:

"There are non-boring parts of the game, so having the main part be boring is okay!"

"There are non-broken parts of the game, so having the main part be broken is okay!"

etc.

And also, and to the real issue here... yes, there are parts of the game that have challenge. But me (and many others) are either uninterested or unable to play those. For instance, being the "casual" player that I am, and having the usually busy IRL schedule that I have, I rarely have the ability and/or desire to block out the amount of uninterrupted gaming time it takes to complete a whole NiM Operation, and my computer is too crap to play PvP without the game being a slideshow.

And also, even if I was able to and willing to play these areas of the game.... I also want to be able to have fun in the main part of the game: solo story content. And challenge is integral to that.

And there's a way to both provide challenge for me and those like me, and easy content for those who want it. How? See part 4.

Argument: "Last time they nerfed companions there was a huge backlash!"

Response:

Yes. Yes there was. And that's because many, many people (likely even the majority of people) like the way it is now. People like it being impossible to lose. I don't understand it, but I'm not going to say anyone's tastes are wrong, or inferior. If you're having fun with the way it is now, I'm happy for you. And I don't want the game to change in a way that prevents you from having fun.

But I hope you extend me the same courtesy. I hope you can understand that I have different tastes too, and want to have fun in solo content combat too.

What do I mean by that? Well, I hope you advocate for player choice as well.

What do I mean by player choice? See Part 4.

now, the big one:

Argument: "Dismiss your companion (or purposefully underlevel, unequip gear, or any other handicap), that fixes everything!"

Response:

This "dismiss your companion" line is not, I repeat, not a good long term solution. A temporary way to cope with the utter lack of challenge, sure. But not a long term solution. I've been saying it for months.

I am, as it stands right now, trying to manufacture difficulty for myself (dismissing companions, etc.). But it isn't a good long term solution. Trying to find ways to artificially manufacture difficulty with no built in incentive in the game really still puts a damper on any difficulty I'm creating for myself. I mean I could play with a blindfold or an arm tied behind my back but in these ways I'm battling arbitrary restrictions I'm imposing on myself, , rather than battling the game's natural opposition.

All of that might seem weird to you, as it is kind of a psychological thing, but if I have to go around the natural way of the game to invent difficulty for myself, psychologically it isn't satisfying because there's no sense of accomplishment because I'm just giving myself challenge that isn't there naturally. But if I go through the natural way of the game, and there's challenge, then overcoming that challenge *is* satisfying because it's actual adversity presented *to* me, as opposed to *by* me.

I want to be forced to use every resource at my disposal to win, not be forced to purposefully limit what resources I get to use just to force a little bit of challenge out of the game.

To use an example, let's say I want to play a game of [insert favorite team sport here]. I show up to find that the opposing team is comprised of 5 year olds who have absolutely no chance of beating me and present no challenge. Would that be fun? Not for me; I want challenge. I want a strong opposing team. Now, I could manufacture my own challenge by tying all four limbs behind my back and wearing a blindfold! That would even the playing field against the five year olds, but it wouldn't be fun, because I'm just meaninglessly manufacturing difficulty for myself, rather than having an obstacle or challenge presented to me.

I get satisfaction (ie entertainment) from overcoming adversity (a team of skilled players), and not from overcoming my own self-imposed handicaps. I don't want to arbitrarily limit myself just to invent a modicum of difficulty that wasn't there at all, I want my opposition's inherent challenge to require me to use all of my assets and resources to triumph.

As it stands right now, learning my abilities, improving my rotation, getting good gear, getting the best medpacs, stimpacks etc., ranking up my companion's influence, or really trying hard at all, is all pointless, because I can win 95% of all fights by standing still in my undies while my Rank 1 2V-R8 wins the game for me. Dismissing 2V-R8 doesn't make any of that prior stuff meaningful, because deep down I'll still know that all that effort is just to get me up to the level of power the game hands to me for free, and is thus meaningless.

TL;DR Put simply, I want the ability to make my enemies stronger, not purposefully handicap my own strength. I want to feel like I'm competing against a force dangerously equal to my own maximum ability.... raising myself up to triumph over a potent adversity, not lowering myself down to the level of the Kindergarten enemies just to feel a speck of challenge.

To expand my sports analogy:

....Asking those who want harder play to handicap themselves forces them to abstain from crucial gameplay elements. Forcing us to dismiss companions, wear poorer gear, intentionally under level, tie an arm behind our back, or any other self imposed handicap changes the nature of the game itself.... forcing us to not experience the full game by purposefully ignoring important gameplay elements.

To use the sports analogy:

You want to play a challenging, compellingly close, competitive game of hockey. Only to show up to find the opposing team is comprised of five year olds. Of the following two scenarios, which seems like a fun and fulfilling gameplay experience:

A) Purposely using a half-length hockey stick, wearing no padding or equipment, not wearing skates, tying one arm behind your back, wearing a blind fold, and purposefully refusing to use your most effective tactics and strategies that you've been training on (forcing yourself to not use the "assistance features and boosts") to manufacture artificial difficulty in an otherwise challenge-less situation (the team of five year olds).

B) Choosing to play against adults, an innately challenging opposing team, which forces you to use all of your assets, and play the full game, incorporating all of its gameplay elements (skill with a stick, skill with skates, skill in tactics and strategy, skill with hand eye coordination, good teamwork, muscle strength and cardio, etc. etc. etc.) to triumph over a compellingly equal adversary.

If you chose option B, hopefully you understand why asking players to handicap themselves does not lead to compelling, entertaining gameplay. If you chose option A or saw no difference in the two.... well, I don't know if I can explain it any better (unless you let me know what your specific criticisms of my analogy are then we can go from there).

Argument: "But I have more fun playing in the current (Easy) level of challenge!"

Response:

And I won't dispute that. Not only that, but I'll recognize there are thousands of players like you who deserve to have fun in the game.

But there are also thousands of players who don't have fun playing in the current (Easy) level of challenge. They want something harder, and individually they are just as important as any individual player who wants it easy.

And because of this, a solution needs to be implemented that allow both players to have what they want. And that solution is player choice.

What do I mean by this? See Part 4.

Part 3: Arguments in Opposition to the Current (Easy) Level of Challenge

Argument: "This game is for braindead casuals/stupid people/toddlers/monkeys now!" or somesuch.

Response:

This isn't so much of an argument as it is an ad hominem against people who like easy content.

I'll admit, I really don't understand how anyone can enjoy the (non-existant) level of challenge in solo content as it is now. But I do understand that a huge portion (likely a majority) of players do. People simply have different tastes.

And attacking people's intelligence or somesuch for why they have different tastes in a video game is not only not an argument, but it actually serves to further divide the community, and reduce the chances that we can come together and advocate for a solution that everyone can be on board with.

More player choice.

[insert comment about viewing part 4 here]

Argument: "People who don't want challenge just aren't skilled enough, and should learn to play!"

Response:

Again, this doesn't really get at the core issue. Many people who like the easy content are actually very skilled in the game, they simply don't want to have to face a challenge when they play solo story/levelling content for a variety of issues.

But, even for the people who don't like challenging content because they aren't skilled.... so what? That seems to me to be a valid reason not to like challenging content.... because they are unable to beat it. Not everyone has the time, ability, or desire to "learn to play." Some people just want to log in for a little bit, sit back, relax, and watch their companion's fireworks while making progress to the next cutscene, rather then having to watch cooldowns, AoE, interrupts, etc. etc.

They have fun one way, and you have fun in another way. Neither one should be labeled as wrong or inferior. BOTH should be catered to by Bioware, so (almost) ALL players can have fun.

How can this be achieved?

You guessed it. Player choice (which, incidentally, you can read about in Part 4).

Argument: "The levelling content needs to be hard, so people learn how to play for the sake of Group Finder!"

Response:

This argument has some merit. Group Finder, which was already limping Pre-4.0, is now basically slaughtered, as players who have been raised on this "Press 1 (or none) Button to Win) combat system due to the strength of the companions and have no idea how to play their classes or what even basic game mechanics are are filling up Group Finder and rendering Flashpoints (which still possess some challenge) unplayable due to completely inept groups.

HOWEVER. This argument alone does not justify making challenging Solo content mandatory for all. Yes, the destitute Group Finder is an unfortunate side effect of giving players an Easy Mode option for leveling, however its problematic nature pales in comparison to the mass amounts of players who would have their favorite part of the game, leveling in an Easy Mode environment, largely ruined.

We saw this when Bioware most recently nerfed companions hard. Many, many people took to the forums to complain about this change, and how it made the game largely unplayable and unfun for them. And while you and me might disagree with their tastes and the merits of their complaints, we have to respect their difference in taste if we want them to agree to advocate for accommodating our own.

And instituting a Hard Mode only version of solo leveling content, as much as we would enjoy it, would alienate a size of the playerbase that is honestly very likely to be bigger then our own.

So, overall, while the Group Finder being filled with inept players is an unfortunate side effect, it is a side effect that we have to deal with.... as evidenced by the huge backlash that occurred when companions got nerfed to not even that low levels.

Argument: "But I would have more fun playing in a higher level of challenge!"

Response:

And I won't dispute that. Not only that, but I agree. I'm with you. And there are thousands of players like us.

But there are also thousands of players who wouldn't have fun playing in a higher level of challenge. They want something easy, and individually they are just as important as any individual player who wants it challenging. And in fact, collectively, they are likely more important then players who want it challenging (like me), as they are likely more numerous.

And because of this, a solution needs to be implemented that allow both players to have what they want. And that solution is player choice.

What do I mean by this? See Part 4.

Part 4: The Solution: More Player Choice

So. Now we've arrived. The solution to this divisive issue. How can we create solo content that simultaneously appeals to multiple groups of players?

Well, if you've seen really any of my posts over the last few months, or just have been paying attention to this thread at all so far, you likely know exactly what I'm going to say.

The solution is game intended, endorsed, and manufactured player choice.

We need the game to provide us with a conventional difficulty setting that doesn't force players to self-impose arbitrary limitations of what assets they can use to create an artificial sense of challenge in an inherently challenge-less situation.

Give us an ability to fix, rather then just disable, the broken part of the game (in this case, companions, or our strength in general). Instead of forcing us to handicap ourselves so we are lowered down to the level of the kindergarten enemies to feel some artificial, self-imposed challenge, make it so we are forced to raise ourselves up, though good gear, good skills, and good utilization of all of our assets, to triumph over a powerful adversary in a compellingly close (and therefore exciting and fun) fight.

So, in practical, specific terms, how should Bioware go about implementing this in the game? Well, there are a variety of options. None of them are perfect, as a perfect solution to this problem simply isn't possible. However, here is my best idea (I encourage you to offer edits to my proposal or your own original ones in the thread below).

Anyway, here is my proposal:

There should be TWO difficulty settings. If possible, an optional third could be added (as described below in "Mode #3"), though is relatively less important then the other two in my eyes.

Mode #1: Hard Mode

This is the mode intended for players who want challenging combat to be a core part of the solo leveling experience. In order to implement this mode. the current stats of mobs in the game would need to be raised (slightly), and the power of companions would need to be lowered (by a moderate extent). That's all that would need to be implemented. Relatively easy.

Now you may ask: Wait, you're buffing all mobs in solo content? What about (the likely majority of) players who want it as easy as it is now? Well, read on....

Mode #2: Normal Mode (via toggleable buff, which is toggled ON by default)

This is the mode intended for players who either aren't skilled enough or simply don't want to invest the time/focus the Hard Mode would require. How would this toggleable difficulty setting be implemented? A simple item or terminal or setting that applies a strong buff to your companion (taking them up to roughly the level they currently are now), making the mobs be much more easy relative to your strength. This would simply operate similar to already existing bolsters in the game, such as the GSI terminal or more aptly the 12xp buff.

It is important to mention here that, since those who would use this buff are the majority, as well as new players who might not know how to turn it on or if it even was there, this buff will be applied by default, while those who want to participate in the Hard Mode would toggle this buff off (similar to how people could toggle the 12xp buff off via a White Acute Module).

Optional Caveat: I personally believe this mode should, if possible, apply a (very slight, minor, small) debuff to the amount of very basic rewards (like credits, for isntance) killing mobs gives you. However it's worth noting I don't think it should be any less then what you currently get, rather, Hard Mode should get (ever so slightly) more (just like already existing Hard Mode content in the game). Why? Well, the reasoning is that playing on Hard Mode takes more time and resources to kill mobs, and thus should rewards proportionally more resources. This is not to say Hard Mode players deserve more rewards because they are the l33t master race, but rather to provide a (again, very very slight) gameplay incentive to try out Hard Mode, to encourage players to test themselves and learn their skills, as they will need them should they choose to participate in Endgame content or PvP. However I recognize this is potentially controversial, and am more then willing to scrap this caveat if it meant the rest of my proposal was implemented.

Additional Arguments/Reasonings for this Caveat:

1) Fairness to Hard Mode players.

At the very smallest extent of this caveat's implementation, it would be solely for equality. You heard me right. Increasing the rewards one player gets actually makes it equal. How is this the case? Well, because killing mobs in Hard Mode content take more time and resources. And after all, what matters is amount of rewards vs. time. If Hard Mode and Easy Mode mobs dropped the same amount of rewards, it actually favors the Easy Mode players, as they are getting more rewards vs. time, while Hard Moders are getting less rewards vs. time. So, this actually would just balance the level of rewards of the two playerbases, and by arguing against this you are actually arguing for inequality, and for the game to favor a certain type of player based on their preference.

So, that is the minimum implementation of this caveat in my eyes. So that it is equal. So hopefully we can agree at least on this point.

That said, I'm now going to turn around and totally argue for why this shouldn't be the case.... and why the game should actually provide proportionally more rewards for Hard Moders. Hypocrisy FTW. ;)

2) Cohesion of Design and Incentives

Another reason this caveat should be implemented is that it already is implemented in almost all areas of the game. All harder content that is already in the game already give better rewards! Ranked PvP gives better rewards then normal PvP. Heroics give better rewards then solo content. Hard Mode Flashpoints give better rewards then Normal Flashpoints. NiM Ops give better rewards then normal Ops. Etc. and so forth. Why should Hard Mode solo content be any different?

If you really think "challenge is truly its own reward".... why does Harder content already give better rewards in almost every aspect of the game? It's because it is important to provide incentives. It gives a sense of progression.... a goal to achieve, a higher heigh to reach. It gives the player the carrot on the end of the stick to keep them engaged and interested in playing the game more and achieving more in it.

Speaking of incentives...

3) Incentives to Learn Class

One of the biggest problems with my proposal is the fact that the allowance for Easy Mode and No Combat Mode mean that players won't know how to play their class at all, being able to coast along in their story never having to learn rotations or game mechanics. This is a problem, as these players will now be filling the Group Finder, and PvP, meaning that these modes will be filled with players who aren't skilled enough to complete the content, resulting in many frustrated players, wasted hours, and overall lack of satisfaction.

However, if an incentive is given to play on Hard Mode, that can lessen (though not eliminate) the effects of this. If there is a real incentive to play on Hard Mode solo content, more and more players will push and strive for it, and learn their classes (after all, I don't want Hard Mode to really be all that Hard), and thus be much more capable in Group Finder and PvP.

If there is no ingame incentive, many players will simply ignore it, when in fact if they engaged in it, it would open up new areas of content for them and make for a healthier community overall.

Anyway, hoped that helped you understand where I'm coming from..... and that it's not just me wanting my preferred play style to be seen as the superior l33t master race.

(Optional) Mode #3: No Combat Mode (toggleable buff via terminal/item)

This is an optional mode in my proposal, but I think an important one. There is a third section of the playerbase, and one that rarely gets mentioned in the "Game is too easy" threads. And that part of the playerbase finds combat boring and tedious, no matter what the level of difficulty is. They simply are here for the story, but unfortunately for them they have to sit through hours of mind numbing """"gameplay"""" as 2V-R8 or equivalent clears out mobs for them.

If my solution is all about player choice and appealing to as many sections of the player base as possible, why should they be left out?

Anyway, this mode is simple in concept, but likely difficult to implement. It would, like the easy mode toggleable buff, be an item or terminal that makes the Player either invisible to all mobs, not generate any threat or aggro any mobs, or simply eliminate all mobs from their own instanced areas. That way, they can get to the story as fast as possible.

Of course, one downside to this is that they would be lacking for XP and loot, however that would not be an issue if Combat was not something they were participating in, or at the very least would be a price they'd have to pay for skipping combat.

And that's it! A relatively simple solution that can appeal to (almost) every type of playerbase while excluding (almost) no one! You have fun, I have fun.... we all have fun! Win, win, win!

TL;DR

Institute more player choice:

-Hard Mode -----> Increase mob strength and decrease companion strenght for people who want compelling, interesting combat to be a core component of the game

--Normal Mode -------> Increases Companion strength (to make the game as easy as it is now). This is toggled on by default. For people who either aren't skilled enough or don't want to invest the time in combat Hard Mode requires, but don't want to abstain from combat entirely

---No Combat Mode ----------> Makes mobs not aggro. For people who think Story is the only point of SWTOR. They can skip combat all together, and get to the story as fast as possible.

We NEED to band together to advocate for player choice.

On one side, people need to stop the "dismiss your companion, that fixes everything" or "ONLY EASE MODE, NO COMPROMISE!" nonsense.

On the other side, people need to stop the "ONLY HARD MODE, NO COMPROMISE" nonsense.

We need to meet in the middle and create a solution that appeals to (almost) everyone. And the only (or at least best) way to do that is with game endorsed, intended, manufactured, player choice that doesn't involve the player having to arbitrarily handicap themselves just to create an artificial sense of challenge in an inherently challenge-less situation.

I actually believe (call me naive) that this is a realistic proposal that could actually be implemented within Bioware's means. Will it though? Well.... no. Probably not. :(

Anyway, let me know what, throughout this massive post, you disagree or agree with. If you have a better solution, let me know.... because there likely is one. I'm hoping to gather other proposals here as well, not just mine, and will edit OP with others. :)

Edited by Swissbob

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Addendum: Other People's Proposals

#1) Soul_of_Flames' Proposal (Level Sync Difficulty Adjuster)

The game already has a difficulty adjuster. It's been added with 4.0. It's called "Level Sync."

Why should the devs waste their time re-evaluating all the mobs in the game when all they have to do is re-evaluate player's levels?

Simply put, level sync should have a difficulty setting. Now, how this setting is adjusted is up for debate. I'd like to suggest during character creation, along with descriptions of what it entails. Possibly terminals in game to change it too. Except for 1 mode, which I'll get into.

Let me go into more detail.

1. Normal mode. Mostly how it is now. Maybe a level sync nerf across the board by 1 level. And I think there should also be a little bit of a nerf on how much XP, credit, and data crystal rewards are gained. Maybe something like 15%.

2. Heroic mode. Level sync lowers your player level of the area to be 2-3 levels lower than a planet's max level. The amount of XP and rewards you get should be about the same as it is currently.

3. Master mode. This mode is optional to this discussion, however I think it would be a very welcome addition to the game for those who enjoy challenges. Level sync sets your level to be like 2-3 levels higher than a planet's minimum level. In addition, while in combat, any abilities, passive or active, that are above the level you are synced to, are locked while you are engaged in combat. Rewards gained should be about 10% greater than they are currently.

Let me detail Master mode before you get the wrong ideas.

-"Locking abilities" means they are greyed out. They aren't removed. They stay on your bar. You just can't use them.

-Abilities are only locked when engaged in combat related to your class story mission. When doing exploration missions or just roaming around the planet, you can use them like normal.

-Abilities are not locked when in combat with other players.

And finally, a global clarification: When it comes to planetary group content, I think that the level ranges between each mode are so insignificant, that it doesn't require any adjustment. Planet ranges are usually, what, 6-8 levels? Regardless of your setting, everyone should be about 4 levels apart from each other. That shouldn't hinder things like heroic areas or world bosses.

If it does end up being the case, then simply shift everyone's difficulty to the difficulty of the player who is set to the easiest mode.

#2 LordArtemis' Proposal (Level Sync Difficulty Adjuster)

I propose what I feel is a much simpler way to introduce a hard mode....using the current system in place.

Right now level sync caps your level at around 2 to 3 levels above the suggested level range for that planet. What I am suggesting is using that system to place a level reduction on your character inside that system, so you are downleveled even farther. This is how it would work.

Say a planet has a recommended level range of 10 to 15. The current system would allow you to level through the planet normally, then cap you two levels above the current recommended range, 17. What I am proposing is a setting that pushes that down a further 3 to 4 levels, either as a max level allowance OR a downlevel that is active as long as the setting is on.

So, a planet that has a range of 10-15 would adjust your level to, say 7 when you enter the planet, allow a range of 7 to 14 and cap you at 14 max.

This would increase your difficulty measurably, and adjustments can be made to find the lowest level possible, keeping mobs "orange" in threat without them reaching "red", or untouchable.

So, essentially the level window is simply shifted downward. Shut off the toggle and the leveling system goes back to normal.

So, in a nutshell....

Hard mode - a toggle that would allow you to turn on a difficulty setting. This setting would downlevel you a further 3 or 4 levels below your normal level under the level sync system as long as it is activated.

Not only does this provide much more challenging gameplay, it also would provide higher rewards if I am not mistaken automatically. I might be wrong about that last point, so someone can correct me if that is the case.

In either case it probably would not be that difficult to find a way to increase rewards using some kind of buff system, considering similar systems are already in place in the game (increased rewards for optional bonuses in H2+ content when grouped with up to 4 people for instance).

Pushing you down in level by 3 or 4 levels, IMO, would be a much simpler way to add a difficulty mode to the game.

As a separate addendum, I would make two more changes to the current system....

Implement a toggle that shuts off influence and presence, setting your companion at level 1 with no influence or presence buffs, just pure stats.

Push normal level sync operation to one level higher across the board, and reduce aggro range considerably so at the upper limit of level sync, say 3 levels above the highest mobs on the planet, aggro would be close to pre 4.0 grey levels.

Doing all three would allow the widest range of difficulty possible.

The hardest play possible....nightmare mode....where you play with no companion, hard mode activated.

Difficult mode....companion, but with influence disabled and hard mode active.

Normal mode....companion with influence disabled.

Easy mode....current gameplay, default.

I believe doing so would cover the vast majority of players and make the system almost perfect.

#3) Quething's Proposal (Damage Done to and by Mobs Slider)

1) Every mob on a single planet is the same level, and the level cap for that planet is one level higher. Heroics are all restored to exactly the way they were pre-4.0. This restores a baseline of genuine moderate challenge (and encourages grouping at endgame). You're still left with the issue of players having abilities they were never intended to have at a level (being 60 on Tattooine is easy these days and would let you solo areas five levels above you with little effort), but it definitely helps.

2) In the options menu, there is a "difficulty slider." Scrolling it up increases the damage done to you by mobs and decreases your healing and damage done. Scrolling it down does the reverse. Essentially, it's PvE Expertise that you control yourself. And like Expertise, it applies only in specific scenarios - you are not grouped, and you are fighting mobs you've tagged in the open world or are in an instance that you own. This allows players to modulate their experience without affecting anyone else or opening themselves to ridicule.

3) At regular intervals as you level, new quests automatically become available to you. These quests lead you to an instance where you don't take durability damage, and are made to defeat specific enemies in a specific way. For example, when you first get your interrupt, you are sent to fight a guy with infinite hit points, who has one channeled ability that can one-shot you but which will backfire and kill him if interrupted, and maybe there's even an NPC shouting "oh no better stop him from casting that!" in the background. Then you fight him again and he has a second channeled ability that doesn't do much and you have to save your interrupt or it'll be on cooldown when he uses the first one. Now *everyone* knows that interrupts are a thing and how to use them by the time they hit level 30. You cannot enter Hard Mode instances unless you are current on these "teaching" quests. This keeps easy mode players from being an excess burden to hard mode players when they decide to step up, and encourages them to do so by building confidence.

Lots of work that BioWare won't do, of course, lacking the financial incentive.

#4) PorsaLindahl's Proposal (Difficulty Options in Instanced Areas)

It would only work for instances and not open world, but could be something like this:

Easy Mode: Groups of 4 mobs. 3 Weak + 1 Strong. Strong "Boss."

Normal Mode: Groups of 4 mobs. 2 Weak + 2 Strong. Elite "Boss."

Hard Mode: Groups of 4 mobs. 3 Strong + 1 Elite. Champion "Boss" w/CC immunities, and interrupt-able.

Heroic Mode: Groups of 4 mobs. 2 Strong + 2 Elite. Champion Boss w/CC immunities and cannot be interrupted.

This would be for solo and duo.

For 3 players in a group, add one low end mob and one high end mob for each mode. (Ex: EM 4 weak + 2 strong).

For 4 players in a group, add two low end mob and two high end mob for each mode. (Ex: HM 5 strong + 3 elite).

#5) Chessack's Proposals (Level Sync by Zone of Planet + Flashback Mode)

Suggestion #1 - Zone-capping the character's level

Right now, isn't i the case that the level cap is planet-wide? It seems like that was true on Tython, Hutta, and DK at least (all I have done so far after returning). So on DK, I think the cap is 18... Once you go over that, you are held to 18, but it is across the planet. This doesn't really work, because the planet's level range (for mobs) is 10-17 or so.... which means for the top-level content level 18 is a good cap, but for the low-level content it is not.

But the game has zoned areas, like Heroic zones, Lord Grathan's estate, and so on. Those zones clearly have level caps within them for the mobs. Usually these are fairly tight tolerances, with 2-3 level ranges. So you will see mobs of level 11-13 in a zone but probably not a level 16 in that zone.

So why not set the level cap to the max level of the zone, rather than the max level of the planet? This way instead of having my level 20 agent dropped to 18 across DK, she would be 18 in the higher level area, but in the starting area by the starport, where stuff is 11-13, she would be dropped to 13. That would make every zone within DK a challenge, rather than most of them still being too easy.

I would be in favor of having this be a toggle we can set in the options menu... turn it on, and you are zone-capped. Turn it off (which can be the default, if they wish), and you are planet-capped.

Wouldn't this at least help a little bit?

Suggestion #2: "Flashback" mode

In City of Heroes, you could do older story arcs that you had out-leveled in 'flashback' mode. In this mode, you didn't earn any XP. Instead, you earned influence and prestige (that game's version of credits). How about they implement a mode like this? Again it could be a toggle. Turn it on, and 'only story missions give XP'. Then you could do the side quests for the story of the side quests and enjoy the world if you wish, instead of blazing through the story and moving on... but you wouldn't out-level anything. In exchange, if you are getting no XP for these side quests, some other reward could be given -- maybe, higher legacy XP gain instead? This way you can powerlevel your legacy if you want (which has no practical effect on the ease of game play, as far as I know) and get some reward for doing the missions, without overpowering yourself for future story arcs.

#6) Dashtardly's Proposal ("Hard Mode" Specific Instances)

Currently, each planet has a single instance. As more and more players quest on the planet, the server's work load reaches some threshold and the game server spawns a second instance and new players that come to that planet end up on the new instance (and thus don't affect the quality of play for those players in the other instance since system responsiveness does not degrade any further). Players are able to switch between instances (and need to - for example, I am grouped up with my friend but I'm already on planet X but when my friend comes he ends up on instance #2 and we can't play together until we are both in the same instance).

So, without knowing what the resource burden is for running multiple planetary instances are (or what the capacity limits are for those instances), why not simply have pre-made planetary instances of various difficulty levels? The default instance choice would be the current level of difficulty. If I want more, I switch instances. This may be a simpler/cheaper implementation for BW.

I can imagine a problem caused by having a difficulty level setting if I have a more difficult level setting and I spawn a group of mobs and someone else joins in who is at a lower difficulty level setting (e.g., the lower difficulty level setting player gets killed by the spawned "harder" level setting mobs) . By making the choice instance wide this particular problem is avoided.

Having a difficulty level setting by instance selection would also mean that it may be possible to implement a single planet this way and BW could monitor how many people are in which instances to get an idea of how much this feature is desired/wanted by the player community. To expand on this - to modify the game so that difficulty level is everywhere they would have to modify and test some amount of code and there's no way to preview how many people actually use/like the feature. If done by instance, they could implement a single "harder" planetary instance to use for metrics to help make a decision to implement on more planets based on the percentage of the community that is selecting it (and how that changes over time - i.e., a number of people might choose it just to try it once and then go back to the regular instance.

Another side question related to having a difficulty level setting is when is it available? How much experience/knowledge of the game should be expected to make a reasonably informed decision? Should someone starting their very first character be able to make this choice? Should it be available once they reach the star base/fleet where they also need to make advanced class decision? Should it be available once they complete a class story?

I think if an instance based difficulty level system was implemented that the starting planets would be the only ones to have a single difficulty level instance choice (i.e., cannot choose more difficult). This would allow new players to not get frustrated or abandon the game because they accidentally got into a more difficult level and weren't prepared/expecting it and that after they have learned a little bit about the game that they would be able to make a more informed choice.

more on the way....

Edited by Swissbob

Its a good idea, but I am still an advocate for a downlevel setting. If the game offers a hard mode that pushes your level down 3 or 4 levels across the board it would be the easiest way to provide a challenge to those players that desire it IMO.

No need for buffs or gimps.....use the current level system to increase difficulty instead.

Now, you automatically win by doing nothing. No really, I can stand still wearing no gear, pressing no buttons, while my Rank 1 Influence Protocol Droid solos Heroic Bosses handily.

I watched your video and did notice one small discrepancy compared to a true new player. Your presence score. (IMHO alot of those that cry how easy it is forget this part) You had a 373 score at 20. A new player will not have that. On a server where I haven't done the datacrons yet, I have a 12 sage with an 88 presence and a 37 mercenary with 185. I do have a 24 mercenary on a server that has all the legacy datacrons and his presence is 679 ( Base of 131, bonus of 548 ). Now his companion kicks ***!

So your influence rank 1 tank companion is still receiving a heath and damage bonus to fight that mob (almost 3x's what a new player would have). I agree that it is easier to fight with companions now but I am not totally sure a true new player could of done that as successfully at equal level.

Well, the reasoning is that playing on Hard Mode takes more time and resources to kill mobs, and thus should rewards proportionally more resources. This is not to say Hard Mode players deserve more rewards because they are the l33t master race, but rather to provide a (again, very very slight) gameplay incentive to try out Hard Mode, to encourage players to test themselves and learn their skills, as they will need them should they choose to participate in Endgame content or PvP. However I recognize this is potentially controversial, and am more then willing to scrap this caveat if it meant the rest of my proposal was implemented.

)

I will agree with your post only if the "hard" mode reward is the same as the easy mode. Your extra reward for hard mode is you got the developers to create hard mode and now you get to do it. If you are truly advocating for a challenge than that is you reward. The minute you start asking for a monetary, item, or xp reward increase for doing the hard mode it nullifies the challenge argument and comes across as you just want a bigger reward than everyone else.

Excellent post. Thank you.

So you are thinking something like the old Makeb easy button terminal. Which btw was an awesome feature (mind you it took me my third play through of Makeb to realize it was even there). I think that was one of the complaints about it, was that it was not clearly labelled. So if you are thinking something like that, it really does need to be labeled in BIG bright letters. It can also be pointed out during the class quests, where you go to DK or Coruscant, and click a terminal already (but that would require another quest and cut scene).

I would be perfectly happy if all Bioware did however was toss a difficulty choice on instance doors. I would be happiest if this included Class Quest instances, but would settle for just the H2 instances. I don't know how difficult that would be to implement, however it already exists on Flash Point doors, the SF door, and Ops doors.

I will point out that you did miss a view point in your list up above. There is a group of people who find the combat so tedious and dull, they just want it over with as fast as possible. These are normally level 65s running yet _another_ alt through the H2 grind for their Alliances. I am not sure making the combat 'easier' will help them. I am not sure making the combat 'harder' will help them. I do believe making the combat meaningful/engaging would be the most helpful.

Bioware has a rather terrible habit of thinking 'harder' means more mob HP, and more stuns. Which doesn't make the combat more engaging, it just makes the tedium go on longer. So when scaling everything back up to Hard Mode, they really need to take a look at how the mobs use their defenses, heals, and attacks as well.

I agree that both sides need to agree that there is no one right way to play the game. This is a great post for trying to show both sides the flaws of the game and the flaws of their arguments.

I personally would go a different route with game balance.

I'd like the level synch gone and the mobs re-structured. Make the mobs like they are in the rakghoul tunnel. One guy in the open at the level of the planet/area and if you want to avoid combat at higher levels you just walk past. If you want a fight reinforcements of the correct level join the fight and drop gear based on the gear table for your level not the planet. This will speed up revisited areas and keep them relevant for use in future expansions (the stated reason for adding the scaling).

If you want to down level to help a friend we could get a reusable item that downscales you to the planet max or to the same level as the lowest level group member.

Last thing I'd like to see is a change to companions. I know this will make people unhappy but it is (in my opinion) the best way to fine tune the game play. I'd like to see the gear you equip to your companion work for stats and I'd like to also see a set of gear that auto levels or a toggle to turn on the auto gear level. If I had my way I'd also like to see a relic that disregards influence affection or whatever we are calling companion ranks this week. Having the choice in how your companion is equipped will let you fine tune them to preform as well as you need them to. Having a set of self leveling gear for them or a toggle for self gearing lets them work as they do now for those that like the way they are.

I fully agree this is a situation that is best resolved with more choices not less. I wish there were more though out posts like this one.

Its a good idea, but I am still an advocate for a downlevel setting. If the game offers a hard mode that pushes your level down 3 or 4 levels across the board it would be the easiest way to provide a challenge to those players that desire it IMO.

No need for buffs or gimps.....use the current level system to increase difficulty instead.

Honestly, if the devs did this, I would be happy. Because it's at least something more then what we have currently.

But ultimately I don't like it quite as much as my own suggestion, because it still has the unfortunate psychological effect of purposefully lowering yourself down to make innately challengeless enemies a challenge.

Psychologically, it's more satisfying to have an innately challenging adversary, and having to raise yourself up to triumph over it, rather then having an innately challengeless adversary, and having to lower yourself down to give it an artificial sense of challenge.

But again, on balance I'm in support of this idea, just not relative to my own. :D

As a side note, if enough people post their own proposals, my hope is to add an addendum of sorts comprised of other people's proposed solutions, and yours will definitely be included. :)

Edited by Swissbob

Honestly, if the devs did this, I would be happy. Because it's at least something more then what we have currently.

But ultimately I don't like it quite as much as my own suggestion, because it still has the unfortunate psychological effect of purposefully lowering yourself down to make innately challengeless enemies a challenge.

Psychologically, it's more satisfying to have an innately challenging adversary, and having to raise yourself up to triumph over it, rather then having an innately challengeless adversary, and having to lower yourself down to give it an artificial sense of challenge.

But again, on balance I'm in support of this idea, just not relative to my own. :D

As a side note, if enough people post their own proposals, my hope is to add an addendum of sorts comprised of other people's proposed solutions, and yours will definitely be included. :)

I appreciate your candor, and I certainly understand your perspective on the issue.

I would only say this...there is already an innate buff/debuff system in place, it has been in place since launch.

As originally designed, If you come up against a mob that is, say, three levels above you, the difficulty in that battle is substantial. If you are the same level it is as intended and balanced, an even fight. If you are three or four levels above, you are buffed against that mob, and he or she/it is at a disadvantage.

At least that is how it was before 4.0. I knew folks that would constantly challenge themselves prior to 4.0 by skipping side quests so they could remain 3 to 4 levels below the current content....basically a nightmare mode, where champions were almost impossible to defeat.

Now, it would not likely work the same way (provide the same challenge prior to 4.0), but a downlevel tool is working within the system of level sync....as level sync already reduces your level to a maximum of 3 to 4 levels above the current content if you are above that level.

All this would do is simply increase that reduction so you are instead 3 to 4 levels BELOW the current content.

To me, this makes more sense if the level sync system is here to stay, provides the challenge that players desire (a return, at the very least, to the standard challenge prior to 4.0) AND uses a system already in place and in place for 4 years.

No other adjustments would be needed IMO. That is the simplest and easiest solution, all things being equal.

Edited by LordArtemis

I strongly disagree with the use of the word "crisis" as its hard to measure if the majority even notice the difficulty being lower. I leveled my 8th and final character through the now easier story and I of course noticed it was easier. I'm not going to argue that the game should be one way or the other, especially since I will never level another character the normal way. The question id like to ask the vets of this game is, why are you even still doing story content? I've been playing since Jan 2015, certainly not a founder, are you telling me that players who have been enjoying this game for years are still using the main story lines as the main mode of enjoying this game? As in, seeing the Jedi Knight story more than once? I'm even more surprised that after replaying the game over and over doing the easiest content possible, prior to 4.0, that the already easy content was thought of as challenging. I am not judging, but it sounds to me like people who are pros at swtor as still using the easiest content to entertain themselves.

When I leveled my Jedi Knight, I only did story missions and heroics, those heroics were a complete slog at level. Golds took forever to kill and never mind doing heroics on Voss or Makeb. I wonder how all of this complaining will ultimately affect the heroics that are still not soloable by a companion.

I watched your video and did notice one small discrepancy compared to a true new player. Your presence score. (IMHO alot of those that cry how easy it is forget this part) You had a 373 score at 20. A new player will not have that. On a server where I haven't done the datacrons yet, I have a 12 sage with an 88 presence and a 37 mercenary with 185. I do have a 24 mercenary on a server that has all the legacy datacrons and his presence is 679 ( Base of 131, bonus of 548 ). Now his companion kicks ***!

So your influence rank 1 tank companion is still receiving a heath and damage bonus to fight that mob (almost 3x's what a new player would have). I agree that it is easier to fight with companions now but I am not totally sure a true new player could of done that as successfully at equal level.

A new player probably wouldn't be using a rank 1 companion on Imperial Balmorra. I just finished that planet with my new Agent, and Kaliyo is rank 7 without me having given her any gifts beyond what I've found as drops. Rank 7 gives me a bonus of 350 Presence. So that video is actually pretty much exactly where a new player would be, companion wise.

Fair enough. I recognize not every player is going to have the same experience as me, so that particular video isn't the end all be all "gotcha!" video it might seem like it's trying to be.

However, that video was my genuine experience.... and the fact that companions can be that innately OP without any deliberate action on my part is still just as troublesome with or without the fact that it isn't that way for EVERY player. It's that way for ME, and it really demeans the whole solo experience for me.

I will agree with your post only if the "hard" mode reward is the same as the easy mode. Your extra reward for hard mode is you got the developers to create hard mode and now you get to do it. If you are truly advocating for a challenge than that is you reward. The minute you start asking for a monetary, item, or xp reward increase for doing the hard mode it nullifies the challenge argument and comes across as you just want a bigger reward than everyone else.

Well, as I said, I am more then willing to scrap that caveat if the rest got implemented, so we have a majority of my proposal as common ground.

And yes, a challenge can be it's own reward for me. So if my proposal got implemented without this caveat, I would still be immensely satisfied. But I strongly disagree that asking for a (again very, very slight) increase in only basic rewards (xp/credits) nullifies my entire argument nor comes across as just me want a bigger e-***** then everyone else.

There are several reasons I do still strongly believe this caveat is overall a good thing, and it's not just because I want to be richer. And these are:

1) Fairness to Hard Mode players.

At the very smallest extent of this caveat's implementation, it would be solely for equality. You heard me right. Increasing the rewards one player gets actually makes it equal. How is this the case? Well, because killing mobs in Hard Mode content take more time and resources. And after all, what matters is amount of rewards vs. time. If Hard Mode and Easy Mode mobs dropped the same amount of rewards, it actually favors the Easy Mode players, as they are getting more rewards vs. time, while Hard Moders are getting less rewards vs. time. So, this actually would just balance the level of rewards of the two playerbases, and by arguing against this you are actually arguing for inequality, and for the game to favor a certain type of player based on their preference.

So, that is the minimum implementation of this caveat in my eyes. So that it is equal. So hopefully we can agree at least on this point.

That said, I'm now going to turn around and totally argue for why this shouldn't be the case.... and why the game should actually provide proportionally more rewards for Hard Moders. Hypocrisy FTW. ;)

2) Cohesion of Design and Incentives

Another reason this caveat should be implemented is that it already is implemented in almost all areas of the game. All harder content that is already in the game already give better rewards! Ranked PvP gives better rewards then normal PvP. Heroics give better rewards then solo content. Hard Mode Flashpoints give better rewards then Normal Flashpoints. NiM Ops give better rewards then normal Ops. Etc. and so forth. Why should Hard Mode solo content be any different?

If you really think "challenge is truly its own reward".... why does Harder content already give better rewards in almost every aspect of the game? It's because it is important to provide incentives. It gives a sense of progression.... a goal to achieve, a higher height to reach. It gives the player the carrot on the end of the stick to keep them engaged and interested in playing the game more and achieving more in it.

Speaking of incentives...

3) Incentives to Learn Class

One of the biggest problems with my proposal is the fact that the allowance for Easy Mode and No Combat Mode mean that players won't know how to play their class at all, being able to coast along in their story never having to learn rotations or game mechanics. This is a problem, as these players will now be filling the Group Finder, and PvP, meaning that these modes will be filled with players who aren't skilled enough to complete the content, resulting in many frustrated players, wasted hours, and overall lack of satisfaction.

However, if an incentive is given to play on Hard Mode, that can lessen (though not eliminate) the effects of this. If there is a real incentive to play on Hard Mode solo content, more and more players will push and strive for it, and learn their classes (after all, I don't want Hard Mode to really be all that Hard), and thus be much more capable in Group Finder and PvP.

If there is no ingame incentive, many players will simply ignore it, when in fact if they engaged in it, it would open up new areas of content for them and make for a healthier community overall.

Anyway, hoped that helped you understand where I'm coming from..... and that it's not just me wanting my preferred play style to be seen as the superior l33t master race.

Edited by Swissbob

My guess (that is all it is) is that most folks find the current difficulty level acceptable, and the vast majority probably liked how it was right after 4.0.

IMO, however, the strength level after 4.0, even if folks did like it overwhelmingly was simply not sustainable, as it made all content FAR too easy to even likely keep the most casual players interest in the long run.

I think how it sits now is a good place for most players, and only the most hardcore players do not like it or find it too "easy", but that does not mean that there is no place for a "hard mode" or that some adjustments should not be made IMO.

I will point out that you did miss a view point in your list up above. There is a group of people who find the combat so tedious and dull, they just want it over with as fast as possible. These are normally level 65s running yet _another_ alt through the H2 grind for their Alliances. I am not sure making the combat 'easier' will help them. I am not sure making the combat 'harder' will help them. I do believe making the combat meaningful/engaging would be the most helpful.

Bioware has a rather terrible habit of thinking 'harder' means more mob HP, and more stuns. Which doesn't make the combat more engaging, it just makes the tedium go on longer. So when scaling everything back up to Hard Mode, they really need to take a look at how the mobs use their defenses, heals, and attacks as well.

Thanks for reading/responding. :)

Although I feel like (maybe) I did cover that point of view.... namely with the third option I was advocating for: No Combat Mode.

Now, this doesn't make combat "meaningful/engaging"...... but those are subjective terms that are different for each player and are going to be really hard to reach, especially if the complaints are that the combat is too same-y, with the game mechanics being stale.... as it would require some real innovation as to how to make combat refreshing and fun for veterans with the same game engine. And I don't really know how to do that.

However, and back to my original point.... if the point of view is that easier combat isn't the solution, and harder combat isn't the solution, because the very nature of combat is tedious, and they want it over with as fast as possible.... then the No Combat Option seems to be the solution for these players. They can skip Combat entirely, and just get straight to the story!

Let me know if I'm misinterpreting you, but I think we're in agreement about this third group of players, and my initial proposal covers them with the No Combat Option. :)

The more I read your responses Swissbob, the more I agree with your proposal. Can anyone really argue against more choice for players? Though I wonder if you've considered if Bioware is even capable of offering such a thing at this stage of the game. Level Sync was very much an across the board thing, and it makes me think that if options could be added, they would have done so already.

A new player probably wouldn't be using a rank 1 companion on Imperial Balmorra. I just finished that planet with my new Agent, and Kaliyo is rank 7 without me having given her any gifts beyond what I've found as drops. Rank 7 gives me a bonus of 350 Presence. So that video is actually pretty much exactly where a new player would be, companion wise.

I agree they wouldn't, but they could.

I was pointing out that a vet player with a rank 1 is different than a newcomer with a rank 1. There could be up to around a 548 presence point difference (rank 1 gives a start of 50 bonus.) There are some on this forum that would point to the video and use it as their righteous cudgel to bash everyone that the game is that easy. I agree that a rank 7 would perform the same as in the video. (although I had trouble with Kaliyo, I'm not the "let's burn the house down while we are still in it" kinda person;)).

So, that is the minimum implementation of this caveat in my eyes. So that it is equal. So hopefully we can agree at least on this point..

I can't justify an increase in reward when you are asking for more of a challenge too.

It's like asking your parent's to buy the lot next door with all the trees and bushes to make your lawn mowing experience more challenging, then turning around and telling them you want a raise in allowance since the yard is now bigger.

Ask for the challenge or the "raise," not both.:D

OP makes way too much sense for this forum.

Hardmode could be implemented by a level sync choice setting.

Easy would be how it is now, or with level being controlled by exactly what section of the map you're in.

Hard would put you at or slightly under level for whatever you were doing.

Pure story would be level 255 (or 9999999).

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

I can only agree that aiming a game like an MMO for just one kind of player is a complete mistake. Choices that matters are needed so players can adjust a difficulty level for getting the best game experience. I support the aim of this thread.

As LordArtemis said, the only way to get some challenge (PVE solo game) has always been playing underleveled, 2, 3 or 4 levels down (actually even 5 levels down is an acceptable option). Is very difficult to enjoy a character when you can only fit to class story missions if you want to stay underleveled; you need to skip a lot of exploration missions that makes (for some players like me) a better story experience, just to avoid making the game too easy (and boring, for me). Even in the new kotfe i have seen 50.000 experience points on screen when a mission is completed, but the chat (and game) gave me around 500.000!!! Insane!! Forcing me quickly to a new level even if i dont want to at that predefined pace.

So I think there is a more simple way to achieve a balance in challenge or difficulty in just 2 features:

· Toggle experience back to 3.0 / actual 4.0. (In my experience, 3.0 had a good balance for choosing how to play the game in a non rushing way. 4.0 delivers too much experience everywhere, just say missions, npcs, exploration, rewards... something between 2x and 3x that i feel excesive for a more slow progression, something I would love to get rid of)

· Companions are affected by gear (3.0) / actual companions (4.0). That player chooses how to setup his companions, the old way, spending in gear and mods, or the actual state where their performance is managed by the game.

Mixing these two options, a player can obtain 4 different ways of progression and challenge, from the actual easy way (4.0) to a slower and more attention to detail playing. As both toggles are related to the solo gaming, no other player is affected when grouped, so i can't see any disavdantage to be added as new game preferences. Also, lower experience rewards let gear be more relevant in level progression (actually it gets old too fast too soon). Actual pace makes a lot of content so irrelevant that is a shame, even for a new player that doesn't know anything about all the available content.

About the hm modes giving better rewards, I can't agree. If we are talking about personal player experience, the way each of us choose to play is our choice. We will get the same reward taking different paths, just that.

Rewards need to be tied to the diffcult level. If something hardmode takes double the time than in easy mode, rewards needs to be doubled.

Otherwise this makes no sense.

Has sense for group content, not for a solo game. Playing a class story is because the story, not because the rewards. If I choose more difficulty and takes more time to me, it is my choice. Rewards shouldn't be the main argument to decide how to play my solo experience (not even an argument).

Has sense for group content, not for a solo game. Playing a class story is because the story, not because the rewards. If I choose more difficulty and takes more time to me, it is my choice. Rewards shouldn't be the main argument to decide how to play my solo experience (not even an argument).

This is a MMO and as such every player is more or less in competition. If someone does the heroics on hardmode and he gets the same rewards as a person who does them in easy, he creates a disadvantage for himself.

A very good post with details how many players feel toward the lastest changes of the game.

However, regarding the difficulty of combat, I'm in between two chairs.

While I agree that combat should be more challenging and make us use most of our ressources to win (which would have the advantage of teaching us how to play our class), the incredible number of enemies we must fight past is what makes me feel that easy combat is not all that bad sometimes.

I'm all for a more challenging experience but only if the number of enemies we must defeat in order to progress in our story is dramatically lowered. If we had hard combat for every minion we encounter, the game would not be fun anymore. A Star Wars experience should be fast-paced and hard combat everywhere would not meet this criteria. I agree, though, that champion, elite and even strong enemies should pose a greater threat than they do now.

Edited by Karson