If new Class Story is so costly, why can't they just sell it in the cartel market?

ZionHalcyon

I mean, seriously. Why not? DDO is a good template. Subs get access to the new area for free and a week early, F2P and Freemium members have to pay Store currency to unlock the pack, but once they unlock it they own it.

Imagine this as a scenario. Devs work hard to release a planet with a faction quest for each faction ala makeb. Charge the Makeb price ($29.99) and all the work that goes with it.

Then, over time, release the individual class quests on that planet for a fee of cartel coins - something that continues the adventure of your character. Can release different professions throughout the year, and just before the next planet comes out, have all of them go on sale in a bundle pack, like they have discounted for hypercrates of cartel packs.

This way, people can either buy their own profession's adventure, or stock up and wait for the bundle and get all the professions out at once.

If given the choice between a system like this or no class story at all, I'll take this.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key here is, the class quests would be on the same planet as the just released faction quest.

If the writers feel particularly clever, perhaps the dialogue can change in some parts to better reflect the class story going on. I know Makeb was generic, but it would be nice if the intro and outtro of that planet changed to better reflect your class story if they so desired to start such a thing there as a testing ground for it.

The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the not so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few. Edited by The_Grand_Nagus

The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the non so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few.

If you follow a particular track and lets say that is true, that isn't the only way it could go down.

You still could in a calendar year hit all the professions. However, the allocation and resources would be divided up based on sales. Even the least profession would get some love in the form of class stories, but theirs might not be as meaty as the more popular one. Thats one way to mitigate that cost while keeping every profession relatively happy.

Also consider that it would likely take them a calendar year just to add all 8 class professions to that planet. So they aren't out of the gate going to be able to just pick a profession and say "we're just doing this one". After all, just because there's more people in one profession doesn't mean that those people are more willing to spend on a class story over another profession.

The point is, there's a way to go round robin on the class stories and still manage the money going forward by dividing up the allocation of resources based on sales - everyone still gets class stories, but the top quality goes to the one with the most sales. As sales and tastes shift, so does the resources on an annual basis.

Seems fair to me.

Once.... just once... they released some little story snippets in a box in the CPs. If you unlocked and did the terminal misisons from each of those.. you got 30 seconds of unrelated to the class story and a unique set of adaptive armor for doing all six.

AND THE FORUM ERUPTED IN OUTRAGE THAT THEY PUT STORY (NO MATTER HOW SMALL) IN THE CM.

So Eric posted that they would never do that again. Players got their wish.

/Thread

Edited by Andryah

Bioware tried this already, when they put the Datacubes in the Cartel Packs. The forums got p-oed about it, saying that Lore doesn't belong there. I'm pretty sure they'd get ever angrier if BW sold Class Story content in the CM.

The forums got PO'ed back when the forums launched and it was leaked that microtransactions were to be considered. Yet here we are now, eh?

Forums don't know everything. If the game WAS freemium in the first place, we likely never would have lost the original writing team due to the layoffs, and an idea like mine wouldn't even have been necessary...

Why not just make an expansion and sell that?

I'd prefer this to anything else honestly. Making an xpac that contained all class stories would be best case scenario by far. But if that's not feasible...

If given the choice between a system like this or no class story at all, I'll take this.

I definitely agree on this though. If the content is worth the cost of admission, sign me up.

I just don't want to have to buy CPs for a chance to receive my story that I want.

/unthread

Sorry, but you arent a mod. People can discuss this as long as they want, whether you want the thread open or not :rolleyes:

Yep, and for me at least there is a huge difference in implementation between selling them directly - and selling them as part of a lottery.

I'd love some DLC packs on the CM, but the moment they start with the random luck crap again like they did with the cubes it'd be an instant no go.

Not to mention the cubes were a pretty bad idea all around IMO:

1) They "continued" an existing storyline, that you can start as F2P and then you are suddenly expected to pay to see a few extra scenes.

2) I suspect that part of what caused the outrage was the fact that they were trying to nickle and dime "story" content out of people... I mean, c'mon... charging money for 30 seconds of cutscene with no gameplay whatsoever?

There's a bunch of MMO's that release adventure packs successfully - with TSW being another good example.

I'm starting to think that they "experimented" with a completely terrible idea to begin with just so that they could use it as an example of "See? It can't be done. We tried. We really, really did."

The forums got PO'ed back when the forums launched and it was leaked that microtransactions were to be considered. Yet here we are now, eh?

Forums don't know everything. If the game WAS freemium in the first place, we likely never would have lost the original writing team due to the layoffs, and an idea like mine wouldn't even have been necessary...

The point is, the backlash outweighed the good comments, so the Dev's decided not to add Story stuff to the CM. Eric even said as much. I wouldn't hold my breath on this, same reason why people couldn't buy ROTHC with Cartel Coins, people would have gotten mad. And, I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the "original" writing team is still at BW... Doing what? Who knows...

Dam, could you imagine the response form selling continued class stories in the CM? Like Gree Event complaints 1000,000K.

I think we are done with class stories, Its not just the cost, its how much the devs care, and in this game they don't. Hopefully Disney will be bringing out some new SW games soon and swtor can finally die a slow death.

I can give you a reason. If you chose to try this, you would need to raise money up front, which can not be done with CM. No, it can not because current profits already go a specified drawer. Therefore you would need to find someone in EA who is willing to gamble. The history of this game does not encourage that, so no luck there.

If you secure funding you will next have to hire required crew, writers, artists, and actors. You would not want to do it for few stories but a long term, which means you would need a lot of money to achieve this. This means that the problem starts and ends with popularity of the game and feasibility of such project.

Edited by ELRunninW

Not quite. A class quest on its own would be about the duration of oricon's story. And when you consider I said to do this AFTER they release a faction planet, and re-using that planet as the class story backdrop. So no, nowhere near as expensive as you claim, because it makes use out of something bioware is going to do anyway (allegedly).

To sell a class story on the cartel market, they'd have to develop it first and they seem to be doubting it will recoup it's expenses.

The - for EA - safer option would be to use a system similar to kickstarter. If enough people pledge enough money, more class stories get developed. If not, it's the communities fault :p . Main risk, a failed 'kickstarter' would fuel the 'game is in decline' propaganda.

Edited by Aiobhill

Your idea is far from necessary.

Which intern? The same one who does the daily story smart Alec. Point is, if it drove revenue in the cartel market, they could afford more than just an intern, genius.

Or are you one of those who don't want class stories because you fear not getting more P vp?

And arkus, it's obvious you're flame baiting... Are you just here to troll and be a contrarian?

lol

So you want the one guy who does the "daily story" to make all the class stories ( 8 of them ), which were all written by different people to begin with?

Do I want more class stories? Sure.

Do I want a bunch of generic fodder with none of the varying styles and nuances the original writers gave the original class stories? Nope.

Do i want my characters to all suddenly be mutes because their voices no longer exist, and I don't think Frank and Sally from the mailroom can adequately replace the originals? Nope.

Do i want my now mutie character to have to deal with d-grade actors portraying throw-away minor villains/heroes because the original grade-AAA villains/heroes no longer have their actors? Nope.

And do i want more PvP? I'm the guy who was begging in beta for them to make the game PvE only. I'm the guy who still asks for all PvP to be removed from PvE servers. If I want PvP, I'll bang my neighbors old lady then show him the pictures. So, um, you really went off track with that one, didn't ya?

It was a smart *** remark to a guy being a smart *** and knows he's just doing it to pat himself on the back over what a smart *** he can be.

I save my more intelligent thoughts for more intelligent posters - especially ones with literary skills above a grade school level and because they actually read the first post instead of leaping to conclusions, and would have thought twice about making the dumb post you did about who is going to make a cartel sellable class quest - already covered, post 1, costs considered and everything.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Here's why it won't work.

These Forums. The last time anything remotely lore related was added to the market the forums exploded into a volcano of rage and hatred and forced Eric to say they would never do that again.

I would like more class stories, but this would just ensure we never get them again.

The problem with this idea is that some professions are simply more popular than others. In turn, certain professions story content would makes lots of money, while others wouldnt. In turn, Bioware would "follow the money" and make lots of content for the popular professions, and only a little for the not so popular ones. So the end results of such an idea would be the most popular professions having lots of content packs, while the not so popular professions would only have a few.

I don't think this would be a huge problem - most people that stick with the game play through most of the classes, at least to see the story up to 50. It takes a long time, but this is an MMO.

BioWare has the statistics, but the influx of new players in guilds and questions about alts on fleet seem to confirm it as best as we can know.