KOTOR MOVIE IS BEING WRITTEN! How exciting is this!?!

I don't know about the rest of you true fans out there, but I have wanted this for such a long time. There are very few things in life that will ever come close to the excitement I felt when I read this announcement. What do you think SWTOR fans, are you anticipating this release also?

The source is Kotaku, remember they're not always the most reliable of sources. Plus every year we have "rumors" of a KOTOR/The Old Republic movie being made, at this point I think people should calm down, as exciting it may be for them, and wait for official confirmation.

The source is Kotaku, remember they're not always the most reliable of sources. Plus every year we have "rumors" of a KOTOR/The Old Republic movie being made, at this point I think people should calm down, as exciting it may be for them, and wait for official confirmation.

It's not just Kotaku. Buzzfeed broke it first, and Indiewire has picked up, too.

I dont need any article to know that a script was being written. The woman that knows what being made as far as Star Wars Films, Series and others, said that there was one being written in her interview at Star Wars Celebration. Now thats the info she gave at that time. Sounds like we know more now but either or, Scripts have been written for tons of Films an tv series but they lie in a box to never come to fruition. These scripts could go that way as well. I for one will be optimistic, but i will not hold my breath neither. I mean, Once Bitten, Twice Shy......

If this happens, I'll wait for official annoucement from Lucasfilm.

But yes, I would be very excited if there would be a KoTOR-film, telling the story on a big screen for wide audiences and introducing more people to this wonderful era of the Old Republic.

it be great if they do a movie on swtor the old republic as long as its not about boring dailies we been getting since 2017.

it better have a storyline otherwise it be a flop like star wars 9 is turning out to be 8 stories in one and bring back dead characters long forgotten characters trying to impress sky walker family all over again instead of a new hero and destiny,

The whole title rise of the sky walker spell the stupity of the script writers they just can not break away from George Lucas bad script writing and take star wars in a totally new direction without the sky walker family.

I had high hopes when they brought out Last Jedi i was hoping we got away from Luke sky walker theme but looks like its not going to be the case,

I just hope Disney in 2022 to 2025 saga have nothing to do with sky walkers all together his character was gay to start with you had a better story line with Yoda, mace windo then skywalker trigloy it was more darker more violent and far wider amount of sith entities that need to be told even swtor can bring this game forward to the era where yoga played a virtual role its a 900 year period that has never been told.

it be great if they do a movie on swtor the old republic as long as its not about boring dailies we been getting since 2017.

it better have a storyline otherwise it be a flop like star wars 9 is turning out to be 8 stories in one and bring back dead characters long forgotten characters trying to impress sky walker family all over again instead of a new hero and destiny,

The whole title rise of the sky walker spell the stupity of the script writers they just can not break away from George Lucas bad script writing and take star wars in a totally new direction without the sky walker family.

I had high hopes when they brought out Last Jedi i was hoping we got away from Luke sky walker theme but looks like its not going to be the case,

I just hope Disney in 2022 to 2025 saga have nothing to do with sky walkers all together his character was gay to start with you had a better story line with Yoda, mace windo then skywalker trigloy it was more darker more violent and far wider amount of sith entities that need to be told even swtor can bring this game forward to the era where yoga played a virtual role its a 900 year period that has never been told.

I agree 8 was a total flop, worst movie made IMO. But to say get away from George's writing? We wouldnt have any of this if not for that, it just doesn't make sense.

It really seems the Further they (Disney) try to get away from the norm (Blockbusters) the less people like it. Disney really needs to Learn how to sit back and let the Real Movie makers do what they do. Edited by MikeCobalt

Having seen Alita: Battle Angel, I thought its strengths potentially lend itself well to adapting an Old Republic story. Even so, I'm skeptical. First and foremost, I am not sure we have any reason to think an official Old Republic era movie will bear any resemblance at all to the KOTOR setting we have come to know, regardless of who was in charge of the project.

If this is true, though, it does suggest that the Game of Thrones guys are writing a separate series of movies, which I have to say is a relief for me. I would have been even more worried if they were the ones hired for it.

those buzz feed articles are referring to the guys behind GOT doing a new trilogy set be for the skywalker saga (1-9)

and the article and the responses make it seem like it will be at most 100 years or so from episode 1 so no were near Kotor or swtor's time line which is 1000's of years before Vader and Luke which will be done by Disney so the David Benioff and D.B. Weiss 2022 release is likely to not be kotor.

I want to be excited about a KotoR trilogy but at the moment I'm convinced it's going to be a huge disappointment.

The first script is being written by Laeta Kalogridis. She wrote scripts for Birds of Prey (awful superhero TV show), Alexander (the Val Kilmer flop, 16% fresh), Night Watch (cheap Russian urban fantasy), and Pathfinder (silly fantasy, 10% fresh).

While they brag she worked on other stuff, like Shutter Island and Altered Carbon, she only adapted stories by other authors. She didn't write the Avatar script, she was the executive producer.

We don't know for certain who will direct it, but the lead choice is Rian Johnson, who brought us the latest trilogy in the Skywalker saga, a source of great controversy.

Just to add to the controversy, the project is most likely to be headed up by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the notorious "D&D" of Game of Thrones infamy.

All of this combines to give me 0% hope that the KotoR movie project will be something worth watching.

It also makes me extra hopeful that SWTOR will come out with fantastic future chapters, because it's probably the only good Old Republic material we're going to get for awhile.

I want to be excited about a KotoR trilogy but at the moment I'm convinced it's going to be a huge disappointment.

The first script is being written by Laeta Kalogridis. She wrote scripts for Birds of Prey (awful superhero TV show), Alexander (the Val Kilmer flop, 16% fresh), Night Watch (cheap Russian urban fantasy), and Pathfinder (silly fantasy, 10% fresh).

While they brag she worked on other stuff, like Shutter Island and Altered Carbon, she only adapted stories by other authors. She didn't write the Avatar script, she was the executive producer.

We don't know for certain who will direct it, but the lead choice is Rian Johnson, who brought us the latest trilogy in the Skywalker saga, a source of great controversy.

Just to add to the controversy, the project is most likely to be headed up by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, the notorious "D&D" of Game of Thrones infamy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you for adding all this info on this! These details keep everyones hopes up instead of ppl just assuming thread posters are making up stuff for their own agendas. I also hope this helps push future SWTOR content at the very least.

Edited by LindseyNoal

All of this combines to give me 0% hope that the KotoR movie project will be something worth watching.

What infamy? GRRM's writing style is such that the series never would have ended. He didn't even know how to end his own novels that's why he turned it over to Benioff & Weiss. They had the unfortunate responsibility to figure out an ending for a neverending series.

Kind of like the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan didn't even know how to wrap up his series. He kept writing the books til he died. Luckily we had Brandon Sanderson to give us the closure we needed on that series (approved by his wife/estate).

EDIT: In hindsight, I am probably reading too much into your post.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

What infamy? GRRM's writing style is such that the series never would have ended. He didn't even know how to end his own novels that's why he turned it over to Benioff & Weiss. They had the unfortunate responsibility to figure out an ending for a neverending series.

Kind of like the Wheel of Time series. Robert Jordan didn't even know how to wrap up his series. He kept writing the books til he died. Luckily we had Brandon Sanderson to give us the closure we needed on that series (approved by his wife/estate).

EDIT: In hindsight, I am probably reading too much into your post.

Have you read Martin´s novels? The series is so complex that it takes time to sew all the threads of narrative together so that they fit. He initially had this problem with A Dance with Dragons, a problem that has followed into The Winds of Winter.

And yes, Martin told them about how the books will end. But, he told recently after the show ended in his NotABlog-post that there are things that were similar, and things that aren´t going to be the same. Seeing how D&D handled the final season (and seasons onwards from season 4), things didn´t exactly turn out to be the best when they stopped following the novels (see the entirety of Dorne plot as an example).

D&D were told by HBO that they could have 10 seasons total, with 10 episodes in seasons 8, 9, and 10.

But they rushed all that into six episodes and one season.

That's why none of the plot arcs made sense. That's why the prophecies were cut.

30 episodes cut down to 6.

And why did they turn down a 10-season run?

To go off and do a Star Wars trilogy.

That's part of the reason they're infamous.

In my book, they don't deserve Star Wars and certainly not Old Republic.

Finish what you start or don't take the job.

There are so many authors who have written amazing Star Wars books.

Why aren't they being tapped to write the script?

Why hire someone who has nothing but flops on their resume?

If an Old Republic trilogy was made with care and quality, I have no doubt it would be a real boost for this game.

Edited by Xina_LA