Backfill Domination 980 to 1

Docmal

So yeah I got backfilled into a Domination match losing 980 to 1

I got to boost toward a fight and didn't fire my lasers

That's like bioware saying here have a loss sucker.

BACKFILL IS BROKEN!

I am one always for backfill never over till its over but in that case completely agree with you.

I hav had a couple of games like that, one I didn't even have time to hit my boosters lol

BACKFILL IS BROKEN!

So what you are saying is if the game is past a certain point and everyone on my team leaves, I should have to face the opposing team alone? Genius.

Either the system backfills or it doesn't. The fact that you can sometimes fall into a losing battle is merely one of the unfortunate adverse effects.

So what you are saying is if the game is past a certain point and everyone on my team leaves, I should have to face the opposing team alone? Genius.

Either the system backfills or it doesn't. The fact that you can sometimes fall into a losing battle is merely one of the unfortunate adverse effects.

Thanks, I am a genius.

It would be easy to design a system that didn't suck. The system should make a determination based on the estimated time to match end with the current captured nodes and if it is less than a threshold (2 minutes) it should not backfill. Why make others pay for your horrible match? In fact I would support a mercy rule where the match just ends if defeat is inevitable.

In my opinion anything meeting ALL of the following criteria should not be backfilled and should be auto ended:

• Winning team over 750 points
  • Losing team down by 500+
  • Losing team not holding a node
  • Losing team outnumbered by 1 or more (necessitating backfill)

BACKFILL IS BROKEN!

I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened to me, and I've been playing since December. Apparently it happened to you once.

Why is this a thread?

Thanks, I am a genius.

It would be easy to design a system that didn't suck. The system should make a determination based on the estimated time to match end with the current captured nodes and if it is less than a threshold (2 minutes) it should not backfill. Why make others pay for your horrible match? In fact I would support a mercy rule where the match just ends if defeat is inevitable.

In my opinion anything meeting ALL of the following criteria should not be backfilled and should be auto ended:

• Winning team over 750 points
  • Losing team down by 500+
  • Losing team not holding a node
  • Losing team outnumbered by 1 or more (necessitating backfill)

What you are suggesting is completely against the spirit of competition and encourages quitting. As I stated before if the majority of the team leaves, which is not unheard of, the few left are vastly outnumbered and stand even less of a chance and are then most likely going to sit at the cap ship because why bother?

No game designer (of any type of competitive challenge) should have a system in place that discourages play, which is what you are pushing for.

What you are suggesting is completely against the spirit of competition and encourages quitting. As I stated before if the majority of the team leaves, which is not unheard of, the few left are vastly outnumbered and stand even less of a chance and are then most likely going to sit at the cap ship because why bother?

No game designer (of any type of competitive challenge) should have a system in place that discourages play, which is what you are pushing for.

If you quit you get no requisition, credits, or weekly credit. This system does not discourage play at all. If you quit a match you are doing nothing but hurting yourself. If ALL of those criteria are met the game is effectively over anyway.

If you quit you get no requisition, credits, or weekly credit. This system does not discourage play at all. If you quit a match you are doing nothing but hurting yourself. If ALL of those criteria are met the game is effectively over anyway.

So by entering one of these total losses you get some req, credits, and the game counts towards your daily/weekly, all for little to no work. By your rational it really isn't so bad then?

I had one today dominion match 47 to 3. By the time I'd even been told what the primary objective was it was all over.

Other than a few credits far less than running ilum for the time it takes GSF doesn't offer anything towards the ground game. You can grind out requisitions but being dumped in a battle like that you get no requisition, no credits, no fun and just a loss on your record.

Which isn't going to help anyone enjoy GSF.

So by entering one of these total losses you get some req, credits, and the game counts towards your daily/weekly, all for little to no work. By your rational it really isn't so bad then?

You do not get req in these situations. If you have the daily and weekly done you get nothing but a loss.

That's not entirely true. Yes, people play the game to play the game, and design that discourages that is bad. At the same time, when playing the game is more frustrating than not playing the game, that's... honestly a bigger problem, because people will remember that more than the times they enjoy playing.

I also don't see how not backfilling a game encourages people in the game to quit. If they quit, they obviously don't care about the result (and for some reason don't consider it worth their time to afk the remainder of the match for the requisition and whatnot), so why would backfilling affect their decision?

You do not get req in these situations. If you have the daily and weekly done you get nothing but a loss.

You absolutely do get req. There's a base 200 or 300 req you get for being in the game at all. You also get a handful of credits (not that anyone cares), a loss on your battle records, and one game's worth of credit towards your daily and weekly.

You absolutely do get req. There's a base 200 or 300 req you get for being in the game at all. You also get a handful of credits (not that anyone cares), a loss on your battle records, and one game's worth of credit towards your daily and weekly.

If you do not get to participate you do not get the "base" req. its part of their awesome (just kidding) non participation algorithm.

I can count on one hand the number of times this has happened to me, and I've been playing since December. Apparently it happened to you once.

Why is this a thread?

No, it happens. Not regularly, but it isn't that unusual either...I've been playing since the beginning and it's happened to me a bunch of times. You play pub side on a server dominated by pubs, so my guess is you aren't seeing this nearly as frequently merely because those lopsided losses rarely happen to pub squads. I play exclusively imp. We lose all the time, and it's frequently ugly.

Think about how many of those matches you've been on the winning side of. Chances are, several of those ended with an imp pilot experiencing exactly what OP describes.

Edited by MaximilianPower

No, it happens. Not regularly, but it isn't that unusual either...I've been playing since the beginning and it's happened to me a bunch of times. You play pub side on a server dominated by pubs, so my guess is you aren't seeing this nearly as frequently merely because those lopsided losses rarely happen to pub squads. I play exclusively imp. We lose all the time, and it's frequently ugly.

Think about how many of those matches you've been on the winning side of. Chances are, several of those ended with an imp pilot experiencing exactly what OP describes.

I've been on the end of plenty of butt kickings when I fly on my Imp toon. There's no one to blame but your fellow Imp pilots who are quitting mid-match. If BW were to adjust the queue logic to stop dropping people in "decided" matches, someone would be on here whining that their match didn't get back-filled even when they still had a chance to win. So the purpose of this thread is...?

I've been on the end of plenty of butt kickings when I fly on my Imp toon. There's no one to blame but your fellow Imp pilots who are quitting mid-match. If BW were to adjust the queue logic to stop dropping people in "decided" matches, someone would be on here whining that their match didn't get back-filled even when they still had a chance to win. So the purpose of this thread is...?

Yeah, agreed, there isn't much point to the thread aside from ranting. And agreed on where the blame lies, for sure.

Changing the backfill logic would likely cause more problems than it would solve. I was just responding to your comment that you'd never really seen this phenomenon with any regularity. Again, it doesn't happen a ton, but it isn't that rare if you're always getting stomped like the imps on JC. I certainly need more than one hand to count the number of such occurrences.

Edited by MaximilianPower

I've backfilled into many matchs that where about to be over as a Imperial pilot. You do get a loss on your record if you bail from a match early since they added the statistics. It's also no fun to have a 22% win / loss record as a Imperial but if I switched to my Republic toon I carry around a 84% win / loss record. Most of my matchs when I first started in December where Republic vs. Imperial and a occasional Imperial vs. Imperial. Matchs happened within two minutes after 1 ended, but now I can go 30 minutes or longer before I get a match on my Imperial toon that is usually a backfill or against a Republic team that just stomps the Imperial pilots.

When I flip to my Republic toon, its more Republic vs. Republic matchs with a rare Imperial team that is just no match for the veterans that now reside on the Republic side. Alot of my Imperial veterans from December have swapped to playing Republic because the matchs are so one sided all the time. It also takes alot longer to upgrade your ships if your always losing compared to the Republic side and if you think it's fun or your improving yourself if constantly getting farmed you not completely correct. It's annoying that I got farmed in ground combat by losing my way into the best gear. While it will happen in GSF, I've now scaled myself to playing no more then 1-2 matchs now because its just gotten to frustrating do space combat.

Edited by Zohkar

Is there even a logical reason to drop a match shortly before it ends in a loss? I always wondered why people would do that (also in ground PvP) as when you drop out you get zero credit for the game. If it is a loss it gets you at leas some credits and requisition (or valor and comms in the ground game).

So why are people doing this? Just to avoid a loss on their score sheet? I honestly don't get it.

Is there even a logical reason to drop a match shortly before it ends in a loss? I always wondered why people would do that (also in ground PvP) as when you drop out you get zero credit for the game. If it is a loss it gets you at leas some credits and requisition (or valor and comms in the ground game).

So why are people doing this? Just to avoid a loss on their score sheet? I honestly don't get it.

In ground combat the only way to track win / loss I beleave would be in ranked player vs. player. In un-ranked you really have no way to track it unless you screen capture all your matchs and enter it into a spread sheet. As far as Galactic Starfighter, prior to 2.6 it only recorded matchs on your legacy if you completed the match. After you hit the achievement you would never know your statistics ever again. Since the release of 2.6 no matter if you drop out of a match near the end, or even before it starts you are recorded a loss for quiting, weither it was you rage quiting, internet crashing or you decided to take the pve que instead.

I for example show that I have played 325 matchs across my legacy, yet it shows that I have played close to 500 matchs across my Imperial character and Republic character. Some because something came up, some because I got tired of being farmed because of poor matchmaking and a few that I never entered but was able to check my record after the que popped but didn't take. Personally I lost my feel for GSF because of poor matchmaking, in that on the Imperial side I run a 22% of my matchs while on the Republic side its nearly a 88% of my matchs.

So the question is how has my skill changed going from one side to the other and why should I be forced to have more enjoyment playing the faction that I don't care to play anymore? Alot of the people I use to wingmen with have swapped to the Republic side just to get wins as well and there is definately faster pop times against same faction then it is on the Imperial side anymore. One could argue good triumphs over evil but who decides what side is evil because both sides have committed atrocitys to universal justice.