Day/Night Cycle

pedrotalhari

Please, it would be very nice to add some Day and Night cycle to the game!! It would make the game more immersive.

I know devs said they would stick on FIXED time for the quests moods and etc. But, I can't imagine a huge game like SWTOR without the day/night cycle.

You do realize that every planet would have its own day/night cycle and not every planet would have the same lengh days (Some planets are 20 hours long instead of 24, etc)

Add to the complexity of binary star systems like the Tatooine system. It'd need its own day/night system all together due to having two suns.

It's not THAT hard to implement.

Sure, they've got 14ish worlds to figure this out on, but many have a single star. I would imagine (for simplicity's sake) that many of the planets would have 24 hour day synced to the server time, or (better yet).

For the problematic planets (like Tatooine), keep it as always day until they can figure it out.

If some have a day/night cycle, and other's don't, I'd imagine that most would be happy with that.

You do realize that every planet would have its own day/night cycle and not every planet would have the same lengh days (Some planets are 20 hours long instead of 24, etc)

Add to the complexity of binary star systems like the Tatooine system. It'd need its own day/night system all together due to having two suns.

Ruins ma immersion!!#!@#!

Im shocked that the game doesn't have this yet.

I'm with you on this one. Each world is its own server shard, why not have this? I was disappointed there were no real sand storms on Tat. I know its been said, but I wish they would have spent less time/$ on voice over and more on the rest of the game.

It's not THAT hard to implement.

Sure, they've got 14ish worlds to figure this out on, but many have a single star. I would imagine (for simplicity's sake) that many of the planets would have 24 hour day synced to the server time, or (better yet).

For the problematic planets (like Tatooine), keep it as always day until they can figure it out.

If some have a day/night cycle, and other's don't, I'd imagine that most would be happy with that.

Star wars Galaxies did it years ago. They even had harvesters that would follow the sun as it passed across the sky.

Galaxies also had actual space content not just a shooter mini game. You know the "escape from the death star" scene from ANH where Han and Luke were on guns while Chewie flew the ship? That was also possible.

Edited by Rygel

Star wars Galaxies did it years ago. They even had harvesters that would follow the sun as it passed across the sky.

I don't think Galaxy's was a realistic implementation. I don't know about anyone else, but if they do do day/night, I want it done properly. :p

Galaxies also had actual space content not just a shooter mini game. You know the "escape from the death star" scene from ANH where Han and Luke were on guns while Chewie flew the ship? That was also possible.

RIP Star Wars Galaxies. RIP Jump to Lightspeed.

That kind of scene would be fun if they can find a way to make it happen in TOR.

They already have day/night cycle enabled. Except you just don't notice it. They are just on a 365 real time day cycle. So in another 365 days, they'll be night for 1 hour and then day for the rest of the time.

Sorry but Day/Night Cycle are the least of my worries or cares. I don't care about the planets that much to care about day or night. Not to mention who says they are on standard cycles anyways. Most of the planets wouldn't be on a standard system.

I play without shadows, because everyone knows they are a major source of slowdown. So who has a PC that can support dynamic shadows puts. Who owns it can not turn off the shadows or lowers the level of quality.

• 4 weeks later...

Day/Night cycles are one of those things that keep you coming back. It's a sense of immersion that is incredibly important. Granted, it is completely a visual appeal - but so is NPC's business (pacing while idle, playing with a holocall etc.). The difference is that the day/night cycle affects everybody on the planet simultaneously.

With that said, not many people are going to be spending more than a few hours on the some planets - like quesh. It's not like traditional MMOs where you apply the same day/night to the entire single planet. Even in WoW, day/night was not in effect in Outlands for example.

It's a great feature, but I can see how the ROI to develop it, at least for now, is not high enough to give it any sort of priority.

Hopefully one day they'll put it in.

Edited by Vindilud

while this isn't that important, i would love to see it happen in game. it would also be cool if each planet had their own night/day cycle.

it's a small addition, but it would greatly add to the atmosphere. however, they have way more important things to do... you know, like giving an incentive to even be on a particular planet aside from completing quests. nar shaddaa, anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
I don't think Galaxy's was a realistic implementation. I don't know about anyone else, but if they do do day/night, I want it done properly. :p

RIP Star Wars Galaxies. RIP Jump to Lightspeed.

That kind of scene would be fun if they can find a way to make it happen in TOR.

Even if they figure out the calculations to make it realistic they will not put the orbit to suns and moons to be literal. Since some planets will be dark for several hours like on earth. Which in a game perspective means that some people will end up playing only during the night.

So they will most likely have to put it on a quick rotation to have several night and day cycles to one of our days no matter how complex and long or short the days are. Since that will be the case of an in game calculation that also means they don't need to figure out a real calculation for the planets but only a calculation that simulates a similar representation but also allows for multiple day and night cycles in our day to see sunrises and sunsets in one play session.

So its not easy to do, but what you want if its to be realistically implemented then it will never happen.

So basically you are setting the bar too high for something impossible in another way of saying 'no' it cant work. When it can if they wanted to implement it in a more feasible way for a game.

Also these calculations would based on orbit without gravity since they are making it up. So its not based on complicated math, but a bit simpler which is still not easy to do.

If you look here, http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/planets/tatooine

you can see they have a representation of the orbit. So if they can represent that in the game as close as possible then that would be perfect. So maybe more hours of day and a little time of night. Since the focus of the planet tatooine is day. That is why, even if they figure out the calculation they will not do it the way the calculation wants it to be since it changes the feel of the planet. Since Tatooine is mostly sunny or known for that, then they can do that.

However, they can have darkness for a short period so we can see sunrises and sunsets.

Edited by VegaPhone

I would like to see day and night cycles.

They should just take a few artistic stabs at actual the day/night cycles for each of the planets. Some may have multiple sunsets w/different colors. Even still put a little research and money into it, doesn't have to be exact but fluff like this helps amaze the players.

Ya, so what if every planet has its own day and night cycle. What do you expect me or us to say? Its like saying that each city time is different on our world yet we still put up with jet-lag the further away they are.

Do it this way - The bigger the planet the longer the day and night; the smaller the planet the quicker the day and nights. Have a 30 minutes-4 hour difference from smallest to largest

Should be simple enough. If there are suns then alter the duration accordingly. No need to pretend to be intelligent, only suggest what we want and the devs will see if it is or isn't possible XD.

Edited by Subtrance

Do it this way - The bigger the planet the longer the day and night; the smaller the planet the quicker the day and nights. Have a 30 minutes-4 hour difference from smallest to largest

I don't believe that that is how these work. Oh, and not every World has been stated how many Hours the Day Time versus Night Time works.