Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Contraband Slot Machine

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Heat-Wave
01.20.2015 , 01:03 AM | #511
Quote: Originally Posted by ivanhedgehog View Post
why is this bad for the rest of the game? you can get rep for the oldest packs out there..thats a loooong time to wait for a slot machine to come out.
^ This...

If you are a rep grinder (a lot of people aren't), then you either make the choice to wait 1 to 2 years for a new slot machine to come out, or you go ahead and buy packs to grind rep. Or you buy packs off the GTN and grind it that way.

This new pack is the first one that I've bought with CC in a long time, I had been waiting for the price to get cheap on the GTN and I bought those. Of course, they were still a sale to Bioware, so the CC was paid by someone.

This time, that someone was me.

ROGERMNF
01.20.2015 , 01:47 AM | #512
General prices are going down. This is good, sometimes the prices of crafting are nonesense. By the other hand I think this is a way to push players to buy more CC and packs. Personally I have no problem with that if gear, mounts and the most things you can find in those packs are just vanity objects.

Vodamin
01.20.2015 , 01:56 AM | #513
Quote: Originally Posted by ROGERMNF View Post
General prices are going down. This is good, sometimes the prices of crafting are nonesense. By the other hand I think this is a way to push players to buy more CC and packs. Personally I have no problem with that if gear, mounts and the most things you can find in those packs are just vanity objects.
Yes, yes, yes, why?
Why would you buy more cc? Slot machine is 3 millions on GTN, even on my overpriced server.
I bought one, and a good soul put one on the guild ship (I am in one of the biggest guilds on my server)
Just cooperate with your guildmates and put one on the ship.

BuriDogshin
01.20.2015 , 03:07 AM | #515
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
Yea, the one I bought cost 3 mil. It was worth it IMO.
Something fun to do while I craft.
Between me, my wife, and a friend, we acquired six machines, currently allocated as follows:
  • Three-machine cluster in a stronghold that all three of us can access at any time,
  • Single machine at one of my wife's strongholds,
  • Single machine on the Flagship of the Imp guild we are in, and
  • Single machine on the Flagship of the Pub guild we are in.

The three machine cluster is for serious grinding. The token vendor is within easy reach.
The other machines are for more casual use, like while waiting for an op or Q-pop.
We might get more :I think a four-machine cluster is optimal, and having more on the Flagships would be nice.
Going Preferred January 31, 2015.

Leadplayer
01.20.2015 , 03:20 AM | #516
Anyone that says these new slots are not the best way for anyone to get mats either never used one or are in denial lol. Just look at what happened to the cost of the grade 11 advanced mats. If one new mechanic can lower the price of Midlithe Crystals from 40-45k to 6k in a few hours, there should really be no need for discussion on this subject. Is this a good or bad thing as far as the long run? That is yet to be seen. However in the short run I think this was a huge mistake. If they wanted the market adjusted as far as either price or demand of mats (and crafted items), they should do it over a period of time not in a few hours. Another thing I do not like about this is any lvl 1-9 (new players not alts) that have access to a guild ship or a guild members SH can now get and sell any grade 11 material.The lvl 10 and up players could in theory have their own SH with slots via Cartel Coins. So my thought is why have gathering skill levels at all any more. There is no longer any reason to spam low level runs on alts to access these materials. Just drop gathering all together and have 3 crafting skills (which I will do after a few months if nothing changes). I just feel that these slots changed way to much way to fast. In closing I feel that the cost of grade 11 mats and 186 crafted mods and gear are low right now, this could be adjusted easily either buy raising the cost of the chips, lowering the amount of jawa mat drops or raising the ratio of jawa mats to crafting mats received. But this is just an opinion I know alot of people that are happy with the new cost and alot that are very upset. Just my thoughts .

Heat-Wave
01.20.2015 , 03:33 AM | #517
Quote: Originally Posted by Leadplayer View Post
Anyone that says these new slots are not the best way for anyone to get mats either never used one or are in denial lol. Just look at what happened to the cost of the grade 11 advanced mats. If one new mechanic can lower the price of Midlithe Crystals from 40-45k to 6k in a few hours, there should really be no need for discussion on this subject.
Are you so sure?

The grade 11 mats were put on the Jawa vendors at the same time as the slot machine came out. Yet lots of people had stacks of Jawa materials from the CM packs stored up waiting for this to happen.

Are the low prices due to the slot machine, or due to a stockpile of materials?

That strikes me as worthy of discussion, even if you don't.

OddballEasyEight
01.20.2015 , 04:10 AM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Leadplayer View Post
Anyone that says these new slots are not the best way for anyone to get mats either never used one or are in denial lol.
"to get mats".

You should probably specify that a bit more.

It certainly isn't the best way to get green mats.
Or even blue mats for that matter.

Purple, sure.

But green mats are still most easily gotten by manually gathering and sending crews on missions.
Blues are a tie, since you can easily get more if you have multiple characters, but it all depends on how many characters you have with the correct crewskill.

Of course, if you only have one single character at all, then the slot machine is better due to the simple fact that you can't send more than 6 companions out at the same time and that limits your max number of mats per hour.

But it certainly isn't the best way for everyone to get all kinds of mats.
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.

Divona
01.20.2015 , 04:14 AM | #519
The more i think about this addition to stronghold in general the more i see how brilliant idea it was for Bioware to add credit sink. The more players use this slot machine the more credits will be gone from game. Sure you get something back in process but it is credit sink after all. The other aspect are rewards gained from this process. If you sell mats or use them in crafting and sell, then this doesnt generate credits but you take from other players.

They probably can change few winning percentage on some items but not much since if players see the outcome is not profitable, it will loose its purpose as credit remover from game.
The Division Dev:
I will say this. Video games have a business side as well as the creative side. This is necessary to function and only time will tell what the future of the game is.

Neglience
01.20.2015 , 04:53 AM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Divona View Post
The more i think about this addition to stronghold in general the more i see how brilliant idea it was for Bioware to add credit sink. The more players use this slot machine the more credits will be gone from game. Sure you get something back in process but it is credit sink after all. The other aspect are rewards gained from this process. If you sell mats or use them in crafting and sell, then this doesnt generate credits but you take from other players.

They probably can change few winning percentage on some items but not much since if players see the outcome is not profitable, it will loose its purpose as credit remover from game.
Even if this machines had no crafting rewards, players would still use them. The CM Reputation is reward enough for players to use them. This could be a credit sink without destroying crew missions.