Dark side REY!!!!

TonyTricicolo

Dark side Rey is another fluke meant to create hype and speculation.. Nothing more. It's the same as luke's famous sentence : " the jedi must end" Another oh my god moment analyzed to death by nutters on youtube and turned out to be nothing special at all...

It will be the same case here. Another 5 *10 seconds vision in the movie.... ;)

I don't fall for these things anymore.

I don't believe he truely hated the Jedi, i think that was more an easier excuse to swallow than admitting he hated himself for being not only so weak in the knees regarding love, but he allowed himself to be twisted up so much like that and after what he did and realised he became a monster after being sealed inside that suit, he started feeding off that fear and hatred of himself that he got used to it by blaming others for his own failure as a means of coping with the situation until he finally came to terms with himself by saving Luke from the one being who poisoned his body, mind and soul that whole time and eventuually used his own weakness of love as a strength for once and saw his way out.

It is ironic in what drove anakin insane is what helped him remember he was a good person, so driven was he by his passion and his empathy. It was always there, it never left him even when he did go to the dark side, by showing genuine concern for Luke numerous times through the films.

Sidious was way too trusting for a Sith, he either didn't care or didn't consider his apprentice Vader much of a threat because he believed his apprentice had enough fear in him that he couldn't strike his master. That was his biggest mistake, arrogance or not, it seems Sidious didn't learn everything about being a Sith, and key to being a sith is having a healthy amount of paranoia because people are trying to kill the Sith for being a Sith.

I agree up to a point...

I realize that it is jut my take on the personality of Palpatine… BUT IMO... his success and his ability to "foresee" the future made him careless and he believed that he was invincible. (The same way that Snook did). Palpatine believed that he had foreseen Luke as his new apprentice and was (supposedly) more powerful than his father: Anakin. And just after Luke defeats Vedar.. and the line right after Luke refuses to kill his father Anakin (at the instruction of the Palpatine …)

" If you will not be turned .. then you will be destroyed..."

And that famous line "You will pay for your lack of vision". Palpatine did not think it was possible for Luke to survive the encounter...

Palpatine believed that he could not be destroyed. IMO... that is why he makes a return in the next movie.

In other words.. I agree with everything else, except the emperors attitude... Which (IMO) was one of overconfidence as he really did believe that he had foreseen so much that he already knew the outcome. He really believe that he could not be defeated.

I agree up to a point...

I realize that it is jut my take on the personality of Palpatine… BUT IMO... his success and his ability to "foresee" the future made him careless and he believed that he was invincible. (The same way that Snook did). Palpatine believed that he had foreseen Luke as his new apprentice and was (supposedly) more powerful than his father: Anakin. And just after Luke defeats Vedar.. and the line right after Luke refuses to kill his father Anakin (at the instruction of the Palpatine …)

" If you will not be turned .. then you will be destroyed..."

And that famous line "You will pay for your lack of vision". Palpatine did not think it was possible for Luke to survive the encounter...

Palpatine believed that he could not be destroyed. IMO... that is why he makes a return in the next movie.

In other words.. I agree with everything else, except the emperors attitude... Which (IMO) was one of overconfidence as he really did believe that he had foreseen so much that he already knew the outcome. He really believe that he could not be defeated.

A leader needs to know their own strengths and weaknesses and one who ignores theirs is always going to be defeated because they refuse to take responsibility to see it. be it overconfidence or simply because they were too trusting which are both on the same side of the same coin: a lack of concern. Palpantine didn't heed enough caution and paid for it where he was blind.

so we are arguing about the same thing and agree that he didn't heed enough caution towards his own weaknesses. With that stated i'm gonna shut this down and let the other posters get this thread back on track.

A leader needs to know their own strengths and weaknesses and one who ignores theirs is always going to be defeated because they refuse to take responsibility to see it. be it overconfidence or simply because they were too trusting which are both on the same side of the same coin: a lack of concern. Palpantine didn't heed enough caution and paid for it where he was blind.

so we are arguing about the same thing and agree that he didn't heed enough caution towards his own weaknesses. With that stated i'm gonna shut this down and let the other posters get this thread back on track.

Agreed on both counts !!

That said: you're not really off too far discussing Palpatine since he is making a come back. To what end none of us are certain. His influence / control is probably similar as Snokes. Therefore, it can easily be theorized that what is shown on the trailer as "Dark Rey" could easily be from an experience similar to Dagobah (with Luke) or a "vision influenced by Palpatine".

In either case: understanding Palpatine is not too far OT... but could be if not carefully guided back to it's original intent for subject discussion.

OH.. last note for a bit: I did move the new trailer carefully frame by frame where the close ups were clear enough.. And I did NOT notice the "Sith eyes" that are typically present with the Emperor, Anakin Snooke … etc.. etc !

edit: I really wasn't trying to sound argumentative. You present some very valid and interesting points.

Edited by OlBuzzard

I have come to see this as a longer lasting process.

Yoda's confrontation with the Wills in clone wars, specifically the 'you are the beast and the beast is you' makes me think more of a process lasting centuries (all the way back to Darth Bane) besides Lucas has affirmed, and especially SWTOR players who have an 'example of a less corrupt republic - (sort of) that most of the prequel jedi's are made to be seen as arrogant or not a '100% hero material'. basically most of them aren't the good guys, its a tragedy in the making and all involved are culpable to a degree. Palpatine does, imo, accelerate a lot the process by providing military jobs to most jedi yes, but this has happened before without in itself 'blinding the high council to the force'

I'd argue the militarization of the order wasn't itself an issue... There always appears to be some jedi angst about them not being warriors but tbh, they're a martial order that has always had the function of monopolizing (F)force for the Republic as a galactic state. It's their function. The galactic crises always seem to come about from their repeated failure to fulfil their raison d'être. I don't think Palpsy was even that extremely powerful as much as a beneficiary of the jedi again failing their primary charge by getting rendered combat ineffective as an order by series one battle droids in one battle. If Vitiate had it that easy...

Edited by aeterno

• 3 weeks later...
I read a theory that Palpatine targeted extremely strong force sensitive individuals to be potential vessels for his goal to live forever. He force impregnated Schmi to give birth to Anakin so he could be one of those vessels. After Anakin betrayed him he had to resort to another host. Likely Rey may have been a target. Palpatine is currently in limbo waiting. I think the trailer shows a partial transference of him taking over Rey's body. Rey inevitably turns to the dark side and Kylo back to the light. Kylo kills Rey, takes on the name of Skywalker, and movie ends.

In episode 3 Palpatine literally tells Anakin that his master could manipulate mediclorines to create life.