Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is this the most casual friendly MMO of all time?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Is this the most casual friendly MMO of all time?

Soulaufein
12.21.2011 , 07:21 AM | #21
First of all, you want to play competitive PVP go ladder on Starcraft II, there's nothing better.

MMOs are not supposed to be about competitive PVP, and should not be designed with it in mind. With that said, PVP is quite possibly - even though some carebears want to make believe otherwise - the what truly moves the majority of MMO'ers, at least in this game. Just look at the server lists and realize that the most popped servers are PVP. Thats a pretty clear message to me at least: people want PVP, and more specifically, people want Star WARS.

But in MMOs PVP should be in-character centered, it should be merged with the story and in the end, have some sort of meaning. But "meaning" doesnt mean items or e-peen growing, it means being integrated into the global story/setting/universe of the MMO.

While I can understand that a lvl 15 Warzoning vs much higher levels is odd to say teh least, I do believe it is directly connected to the demand and server management, its all part of the same strategy. I have no doubts that Bioware will change the way Warzones and pairings are structured in a month time.

Norfair
12.21.2011 , 07:21 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
You indirectly berate casuals and make sweeping statements like "the game has no depth" and expect to be welcomed or taken seriously?

If you don't like what the game has to offer and the players it caters to, don't play, don't post and let the rest of us have our fun.
My sentiments exactly. Hardcore elitists are what drive me from the games I love in the first place. People who take things so seriously they poison and infect the potential enjoyment of the game for others. I'm a competitive player, I like to win and enjoy myself and I consider myself a decent gamer but these past five or six years have seen some truly horrid creatures rear their ugly head; you know - people who turn the game into a mathematical equation.

The minute spreadsheets and theory crafting arrived on the scene in WoW, I was gone... Good-fooking-luck.
"On the last recorded day in History the ultimate computation will simulate the Universe and resurrect the dead!"

Yfelsung
12.21.2011 , 07:23 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by BBQpizza View Post
a) i dont remember
b) it had no BG's or any type of honor, rank, nor gear rewards from or for pvp
Re B:

PvP was always better when it has no reason to happen other than the joy of killing your fellow player.

Honor systems and BG type systems generally turn PvP from a joy into just another grind.

Back in UO, sometimes people wouldn't even loot your stuff when they ganked you. They'd leave it there in your corpse to rot and they'd just go find someone else to kill.

The kill is all that should matter.
MHORDSUNG SOULGRINDER, LEGATUS OF PHOBOS LEGION

At the end of days the dragon stands tall and with limitless rage it illuminates all.

archifikoss
12.21.2011 , 07:24 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Norfair View Post
My sentiments exactly. Hardcore elitists are what drive me from the games I love in the first place. People who take things so seriously they poison and infect the potential enjoyment of the game for others. I'm a competitive player, I like to win and enjoy myself and I consider myself a decent gamer but these past five or six years have seen some truly horrid creatures rear their ugly head; you know - people who turn the game into a mathematical equation.

The minute spreadsheets and theory crafting arrived on the scene in WoW, I was gone... Good-fooking-luck.
And you know... I don't hate hardcore or competitive players. Nor do I hate the avid spreadheet/min-max/number cruncher types. If it's what they enjoy, more power to them... But what I do hate, is people who act superior. It's not the elite, it's the elitist attitude that riles me up.

DeathCorp
12.21.2011 , 07:26 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by sanzuu View Post
I think it is.

I've never seen a game, or community so hostile to 'hardcore' PvE/PvP players in my entire life. This may as well be the Bejeweled forums.

Did Bioware design this game with the intention to keep serious players out? The game doesn't even have a combat log, it doesn't have addon support, it has released a few days from 2012 with no ranked PvP system. How is that acceptable? Do BW have any idea how big the 'e-sport' market is for MMO's?

I could go on, and on, but it seems this game is very unfriendly towards players who want to play competitively/with skill.

Why keep out such a large potential userbase? I suspect its because of the IP monster that is Star Wars. Such a huge brand is going to bring people to this game that have never even played MMO's before, whereas games like Rift, GW2, etc. know what type of gamer they are getting and cater to them. Adding some sort of challenge in the game would only be a blow to the many potential subs they could get, and keeping out the hardcore players and keeping the scrubs happy has probably been determined as the best way to make that dollar.

You will not find EJ/AJ/WCM type communities for this game, there is no depth to this game.
I hope to God it is.

Kohloga
12.21.2011 , 07:26 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Toweleeeie View Post
Dec 2011. Move along

I do nott like these comments lol, mainly because I had to create a new account to play as the one I have had since 2008?? Maybe 09 would not let me redeem codes or answer the sec questions and BW has yet to get back. I am probably in the minority thou lol.

Don't just assume anyone who created an account in the last few months is a troll

BBQpizza
12.21.2011 , 07:27 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Norfair View Post
I had a guildy in EQ that would make animated powerpoints to show us how a boss fight would go.
"Do, or do not. There is no try". Dumbledore

Norfair
12.21.2011 , 07:28 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by archifikoss View Post
And you know... I don't hate hardcore or competitive players. Nor do I hate the avid spreadheet/min-max/number cruncher types. If it's what they enjoy, more power to them... But what I do hate, is people who act superior. It's not the elite, it's the elitist attitude that riles me up.
Yeah, that's true. If they enjoy it - kudos - but don't drag the rest of us into it. The OP really gave a whiff of "Hey, we want this game to be more hardcore so make it so Bioware" - Like the only people that matter are the Raid Culture crowd ect...

TOR is perfect for me. It allows me to come online for an hour or two and enjoy myself. Long gone are the days for me where I could (or indeed would want to anymore) play for 12+ hours a day. Like it or not guys, the casual demographics is going to be a huge part of the MMO from now one.
"On the last recorded day in History the ultimate computation will simulate the Universe and resurrect the dead!"

sanzuu
12.21.2011 , 07:29 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by BBQpizza View Post
a) i dont remember
b) it had no BG's or any type of honor, rank, nor gear rewards from or for pvp

My vote for most casual friendly game would be Rift. I never needed to group in that game as I leveled up, and most of the time I didn't. On my dps I had 1 macro that could do my rotation, and when healing I would only need 2 buttons.
What WoW had or didn't have in 2004 is irrelevant. This is a game released nearly a decade later, in pretty much 2012. Infact, your reasoning does nothing but hurt the integrity of the game if you think about it... Bioware have had 8 years to watch WoW and its development, and despite having taken most of their game from WoW, they've failed to take what players now expect as a standard in MMO's. ****, a combat log has been expected long before even WoW. The 'WoW didn't launch with X' argument has no logical basis whatsoever. Sure, WoW didn't launch with X, but that was a long time ago.

You shouldn't be using a 2004 release as the basis on which to judge a 2012 game. If you're doing that, then your game is poor, and stale.

SWTOR should be blowing WoWs 2004 release out of the water, it truly is a testament to how lacking this game is that people are comparing it to an 8 year old release.

Kohloga
12.21.2011 , 07:31 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by sanzuu View Post
What WoW had or didn't have in 2004 is irrelevant. This is a game released nearly a decade later, in pretty much 2012. Infact, your reasoning does nothing but hurt the integrity of the game if you think about it... Bioware have had 8 years to watch WoW and its development, and despite having taken most of their game from WoW, they've failed to take what players now expect as a standard in MMO's. ****, a combat log has been expected long before even WoW. The 'WoW didn't launch with X' argument has no logical basis whatsoever. Sure, WoW didn't launch with X, but that was a long time ago.

You shouldn't be using a 2004 release as the basis on which to judge a 2012 game. If you're doing that, then your game is poor, and stale.

SWTOR should be blowing WoWs 2004 release out of the water, it truly is a testament to how lacking this game is that people are comparing it to an 8 year old release.
2011 just saying