the answer to balance

Tragamite

78% surge, 1055 power, 1842 willpower.

spec: 4/15/22 or 0/14/27 or 0/13/28 on an assassin/shadow.

Against a sage, I hit for past 6k all the time. Ok I lied. 90% of the time. PVE gear makes me hit for past 7k all the time on sorcerers, though.

I'll try to download fraps or hypercam or something just for you :)

78% surge, 1055 power, 1842 willpower.

spec: 4/15/22 or 0/14/27 or 0/13/28 on an assassin/shadow.

Against a sage, I hit for past 6k all the time. Ok I lied. 90% of the time. PVE gear makes me hit for past 7k all the time on sorcerers, though.

I'll try to download fraps or hypercam or something just for you :)

Ah, so you've hedged all of your stats towards hitting the biggest number possible/chosen the spec that will make your maul hit the hardest. Tell me, how effective are those specs? I've played them all and I find them to be subpar at best. I concede that you probably do hit 6k with those specs and stats ( you have absolutely no crit rating ). I will also have to say that those specs suck for everything except getting a high hit. I would never run those stats/specs, not helpful to the team imo.

Also judging by the fact that you throw in "i hit even harder when i wear my PVE gear lol" you're clearly tunnel-visioned on damage which is bad.

Putting all of your eggs into one basket ( trying to get the biggest hit ) does not make you effective in the slightest! Just saying. Makes you become very one-dimensional.

Edited by Polymerize

Ah, so you've hedged all of your stats towards hitting the biggest number possible/chosen the spec that will make your maul hit the hardest. Tell me, how effective are those specs? I've played them all and I find them to be subpar at best. I concede that you probably do hit 6k with those specs and stats ( you have absolutely no crit rating ). I will also have to say that those specs suck for everything except getting a high hit. I would never run those stats/specs, not helpful to the team imo.

Also judging by the fact that you throw in "i hit even harder when i wear my PVE gear lol" you're clearly tunnel-visioned on damage which is bad.

Putting all of your eggs into one basket ( trying to get the biggest hit ) does not make you effective in the slightest! Just saying. Makes you become very one-dimensional.

I really don't know what personal grudge you hold against me, but let me clarify.

My stats are these: 1842 power, 30.17% melee crit, 1214 expertise, ~19.6k hp, 78% surge, 1055 power with willpower augments.

If you have at least ONE brain cell and played this game in the 50 pvp brackets, you know that 1055 power clearly isn't top. I'm also not at max epertise, and NOWHERE have I stated I wear PVE gear. I said I hit even harder on people that wear it. Please take a deep breath, and read what I'm saying.

The spec I run has good defensive cooldowns (blackout) increased regen in stealth, dots, long range damage (death field), instant whirlwind, increased melee damage. Overall I'm better than full deception for capping a node as whirlwind gives me 8 seconds instead of the 6 second stealth sap. I also get 25% reduction from blackout, and can spike a ******** of damage with maul, and have good dots (crushing darkness instacast) with a lot of force regen. I haven't (nor have I even said it) put all my points towards highest maul damage, as yes, that wouldn't be the best idea. How effective are they? Usually top of leaderboards with highest medals, coming from the ~400-500k damage in every warzone, 20k+ protection just using taunts and high objective points.

30% crit rating, buffed, seems to be totally fine for whatever spec I run, yet again that is an opinion. No, I haven't put all points towards highest damage, hence my crit and surge and power (30%, 78% and 1055). Also have 6.34% accuracy, so again... Not towards damage. Not helpful to a team? From what you're saying, any dps spec is "not helpful to a team". I use taunts no matter what my spec is, guard when I have my tank spec and usually go for solo capping nodes with whirlwind. I run premades most of the time (oh no) and I'm a team player.

With that optimization and spec, 0/14/27, (I usually run 31/2/8, 0/27/14, 0/14/27) I can achieve high melee damage (thrash hitting for 1.5-1.7k per hit) and again, good dots (crushing darkness hitting for 2k+ with a crit). I don't see how it's a bad spec, it's just more complex than just spamming discharge/shock/maul with 0/27/14 or full deception.

Edit: I won't run 0/14/27 against a team of players wearing heavy armor, as they mitigate white damage. But for the critical rating comment, +9% crit to melee damage helps in the lightning tree. Force crit, from what I recall, is at 29.88% or something. Now, I hope you'll take the time to read and understand, as I'm explaining politely.

Edited by Arkillon

the biggest issue with balance is CC until resolve actually works and people cant chainstun it will never be balanced

Other issues affecting balance

1.Consulars/Inquistors rock throwing/lighting needs a HUGE cooldown or if you want to spam lightning/rocks it should start using up your health or cost 10 times the power it does now. These 2 classes need better skill rotation its all they do.

2. stealth attacks i.e 1-2 shotting people stealth skills should have a dps drop

3. Competent pvp development we have yet to have this in game. The devs spend thier time trying to beta test theories and think instanced pvp is the best thing ever. They develop the pvp based on what they want. No one wants this organic pvp garbage crap with no rewards. Until we get someone who understands REAL objective based pvp and figuring out how to do large scale pvp with a bad engine choice this pvp will always be below mediocre at best

I hit regular 6.5k's with maul on my assassin against max epertise. Against pve heroes I did a 8.4k maul though :)

Railshot can hit that hard, too. Warzone buff with bloodthirst \o/. But yeah, there's not as much as 8 abilities... I can think of maul, railshot and maybe ambush

You may be getting 6.5k with Maul, it's the next biggest hitter after Smash, but I highly doubt your targets are max expertise. Firstly, because I don't see how you know the expertise of these opponents you're hitting for 6k three times in a warzone. Perhaps they aren't max expertise. Secondly, because in a month and a half of warzones (Dec to mid Jan) at 1300ish expertise I was never - not once - hit for over 6k by a maul, and I was hit by plenty. I was hit by smash/force sweep for 6k 106 times.

It's the same combat logs used here, though I only listed it on the basis of 5k, so I'd get a few more abilities than Smash/Force Sweep in there. Biggest Maul was 5856:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=588575

A month and a half of warzones at 1300 expertise. 407 Smash/Force Sweep of over 5k, 24 Maul/Shadow Strike over 5k. Only Smash/Force Sweep hitting over 6k. Now, I am in medium armour, maybe you hit 1300 expertise light armour targets for 6k on rare occasions. Even if you do, it doesn't mean Maul causes anything like the damage of Smash in a warzone.

Edited by Wainamoinen

1.Consulars/Inquistors rock throwing/lighting needs a HUGE cooldown or if you want to spam lightning/rocks it should start using up your health or cost 10 times the power it does now. These 2 classes need better skill rotation its all they do.

2. stealth attacks i.e 1-2 shotting people stealth skills should have a dps drop

You reckon that the biggest things to balance are those OP DPS sages and Operatives?

I thnk you can make a claim to individuality there.

I think probably the biggest problem the game has currently is that there is a real lack of actual tanks in unranked warzones. With the addition of a dedicated main tank on your team, the game slows down considerably and enters further in the realm of strategy rather than twitch.

Increasing the health pools wouldn't fix the balance issues at all.

What would happen :-

Jug and Powertech tanks would become weaker as their damage would not be able to close the gap when their cooldowns dropped off.

Sin tanks would become considerably stronger as their self heal would gain a significant boost.

High sustain damage classes like combust spec powertechs and marauders would become stronger.

Concealment operatives would become considerably weaker as all they have is their opening burst.

Sorcs, not really sure as their self heal might actually help them to outlast higher sustained damage classes. My guess is they would actually become weaker.

Mercs still won't get a cast off so they would still be useless.

Speculations not factual information. Currently CC is key in this game. While what you say does merit review honestly there are keys towards your points. Utilizing your abilities and ccs at proper moments in combat assist in success in a 1v1 match, but the biggest point is that PvP is supposed to be a team thing! 1v1 some classes will become better or worse against other classes but really no less or more than the gap is now.

If you changed gear in that recruit is more about suitability and WH+ about function then the "gap" there would also tighten up. Low damage output is assisted by the high damage output of others.

People who depend on cc to make a kill will need to rationalized cc uses to be efficient. Shield tanks can spread cds to stem the flow of damage intake. Burst damage will still be the key to a quick kill but you'll need to manage when you cc to seal the deal not cc then kill before the player responds.

Take any for instance you will, compare the ideal result to one with all players having a bit more health and review the outcome. I'll start:

A sorc is running to snow turret at the beginning of ACW. Said sorc has 15k health. Just before he can cap the turret he he stunned by an scoundrel that is sheathed. Sorc says he has a stealth at snow. Scoundrel pops out of stealth and attacks the Sorc with a barrage of hits and ccs killing the Sorc in less than a second and begins capping.

Now 2 things have happened, 1 the sorc got off am inc allowing an opportunity for his team to respond and 2 the scoundrel killed his opponent in less than a second for a total of 10 seconds to achieve the cap.

So now increase both players health and what changes? The scoundrel might have to cap in 11 seconds instead of 10 the sorc has a chance to try and do something to combat the scoundrel.

A million things could happen in either scenario but ultimately the 1 thing that did in fact happen was the sorcery had options before dying.

Play this out with any number combination of players and it is always unknown. But to die in 3 hits is disheartening and damaging to pvp. If you get owned by 5 players you shrug it off when you constantly get OWNED by any class 1v1 makes many quit.

Health can balance pvp in so many ways