Onslaught Itemization Brainstorming

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks!

With the announcement of Onslaught out the door we really want to dive in on gathering feedback from you early, and often. To start that off we want we want to dive into brainstorming on ideas for both new sets, and for Tactical items. Please head to your respective Class forum where I have made a thread for each Discipline to find details. I will be passing everything onto the team.

Thanks all.

-eric

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks!

With the announcement of Onslaught out the door we really want to dive in on gathering feedback from you early, and often. To start that off we want we want to dive into brainstorming on ideas for both new sets, and for Tactical items. Please head to your respective Class forum where I have made a thread for each Discipline to find details. I will be passing everything onto the team.

I have a general itemization question.

Why did you lock mods and enhancements for masterwork gear to each body part? You said it was about the itemization, but i still don't see why you needed that. Much less why the need to do that prior to 6.0 and enrage a big portion of the community by doing so.

Why did you lock mods and enhancements for masterwork gear to each body part? You said it was about the itemization, but i still don't see why you needed that. Much less why the need to do that prior to 6.0 and enrage a big portion of the community by doing so.

Yeah, hopefully they revert this with Onslaught.

I like the idea of what you guys are trying for this....but the options you throw at us below are kind of meh.

Travel - Most people never leave the Fleet/Houses/ Ossus.

Crafting - Boring and tedious

Harvesting - If you mean gathering on planets, that goes with Crafting as tedious and boring.

"Flurry” attacks - What does that mean?

Rest and recharge skills - Is this just CDs as in heroic moment, fast travel, etc?

etc

Hey folks!

Thanks all.

-eric

Eric, three quick questions to offer better suggestions. These have mainly to do with what you envision for tactical items.

1. Are you thinking of including off-healing/taunting/CC/power-restoration functionality in these tactical changes?

For example (Sniper):

Orbital strike stuns enemies caught in its blast for 4 seconds.

Explosive probe restores 25% base energy to allies within 10 meters.

Ballistic shield restores X health to all allies within during its duration.

Corrosive grenade/distract can now target allies, restoring X health instantly/over the duration.

Explosive probe taunts all targets within 15 meters, drawing them to the targets position (to gather adds in a tight circle)

2. How much total effect do you want tactical abilities to represent percentagewise? (5% total dps/10% etc.)

3. Will tactical items exist alongside of or replace utilities? In other words, are you looking at tactical items as a way to simply change how damage is dealt (explosive probe now becomes burst, DoT, in a cone, double damage on adds, etc.) or as applying actual effects (explosive probe weakens targets, weakened targets take X times more damage from DoT abilities.)?

• Dev Post

Slot locking mods was a balancing mechanism the team was trying to help manage the pacing of gearing for characters across Legacies. As you highlighted this wasn't well received and it led to two distinct changes as we look to Onslaught.

First, we aren't planning to slot lock mods (mods, armorings, enhancements). We realize that was not the right lever to pull around gearing. Second, in all of our previous passes at itemization we have had to maneuver around Legacy gearing since it complicated how fast players could acquire gear. For Onslaught, instead of trying to control it we want to fully embrace it and allow players to move all gear through Legacy much more easily. This way we just expect that all players are going to move gear and we can plan for it! It makes things easier from our side and a better experience for everyone who moves gear across their Legacy.

-eric

Slot locking mods was a balancing mechanism the team was trying to help manage the pacing of gearing for characters across Legacies. As you highlighted this wasn't well received and it led to two distinct changes as we look to Onslaught.

First, we aren't planning to slot lock mods (mods, armorings, enhancements). We realize that was not the right lever to pull around gearing. Second, in all of our previous passes at itemization we have had to maneuver around Legacy gearing since it complicated how fast players could acquire gear. For Onslaught, instead of trying to control it we want to fully embrace it and allow players to move all gear through Legacy much more easily. This way we just expect that all players are going to move gear and we can plan for it! It makes things easier from our side and a better experience for everyone who moves gear across their Legacy.

-eric

With that being said can we expect the nightmare of bank storage due to legacy gear to be addrssed in onslaught? Like adding all legacy items to a collection style system rather than having to take up physical bank and inventory slots?

For example, I’m at four solid banks of legacy gear, and I only have half or 3/4 of what’s available!

Edited by Holocron

I like the idea of what you guys are trying for this....but the options you throw at us below are kind of meh.

Harvesting - If you mean gathering on planets, that goes with Crafting as tedious and boring.

Rest and recharge skills - Is this just CDs as in heroic moment, fast travel, etc?

etc

I don't think that's what he was saying.

I think he was explaining why they're focusing at the moment on discipline skills (and not "deal X damage when using a lightsaber," or "Assault cannons now become grenade launchers," etc. since not everyone can use assault cannons or lightsabers, for example).

-eric

Wow...that's a very positive realization Eric. I'm very happy to hear this!!! We'll still gear multiple toons, still gear multiple toons of the same classes even, because it's a reward for playing. Thank you for posting this info.

-eric

That great to hear I honestly felt like that move was a huge kick in the face to people that max min. I also understand that gear pacing can be a headache with the way we players eat through content. I think you guys are taking the right approach this time around and really let people play their way to gear. Great job

With that being said can we expect the nightmare of bank storage due to legacy gear to be addrssed in onslaught? Like adding all legacy items to a collection style system rather than having to take up physical bank and inventory slots?

For example, I’m at four solid banks of legacy gear, and I only have half or 3/4 of what’s available!

I agree. The struggle is real for those of us with lots of alts. I have the max number of Legacy storage tabs unlocked. One tab is almost all Legacy set bonus gear. Sorry for the misaligned descriptions. I threw this together real quick.

I have Scoundrel and Operative DPS Legacy set bonus armor on my Operative because I ran out of room in Legacy storage. I don't just keep set bonus armor sets there. There are speccs I haven't even tried because I don't have space for more set bonus gear in Legacy armor, and I absolutely do not want to have to mail armor sets between characters again. I don't miss the pre-Legacy storage days when I was logging on and off of various characters looking for items.

Onslaught addressing the variety of set bonus gear (when put into Legacy armor sets) would be great. More Legacy storage tabs is one option. Just something to keep the convenience provided by Legacy storage, without turning so much of Legacy storage in to set bonus Legacy armor storage.

Edited by Nmyownworld

Well, it kinda makes it look like you guys want us to do the work for you :D

Oh, come on. They are asking for feedback. If they designed the system without asking, you'd be on them about never listening to the players. Hopefully this post was tongue in cheek, not serious, and you were just joking?

This is a valid point, legacy bank space is at a premium. You cannot keep your crafting mats AND your legacy gear in there for example because there is not room for both. And if you have one or the other of either (mats or legacy gear), then you have very little else there and it's a shame!

I would suggest NOT adding tabs to the legacy bank itself, as it is already SUPER SLOW to open/load. What I would suggest is an Armor Set storage that is separate. It can be a part of collections, once you have unlocked a set bonus item you can reclaim it on any of your characters for instance. Or it can be a place of physical storage, an "Armor Locker" that works just like the legacy bank does. Either way, I think the storage issue will definitely need to be something you all consider in the mix, please and thank you!

-eric

I am not an MMO aficionado, so I'm not sure if all MMO's do this, but why does there have to be such an overt attempt to control how quickly we gear? Why do you want us to play your game LESS? Why do you want people with more than three characters to be punished for having more than three characters? (you know you guys made 8 class stories, two genders, two factions, multiple species, multiple disciplines, multiple dialogue branches--does your data show that the majority of players only ever play 1-2 characters?)

If I have 1 character in full gear, who is it hurting?

If I have 5 characters in full gear, who is it hurting?

If I have 15 characters in full gear, who is it hurting?

If I have dozens in full gear, who is it hurting?

There'd be even LESS tanks in the game if more people didn't have to focus on one or two characters that aren't tanks, even if they have them? Less Healers?

People would be TOO happy with being able to play whoever they want, whenever they want because gearing wouldn't be so myopically focused on a few individuals?

People would spend LESS time using CC for CM/collection gear for more characters?

People would spend less time in other areas of the game, adding to the numbers in each community, if they weren't forced to congregate in one single area of the game? (the flashpoints for augments, Ossus, ruining solo-ranked PvPers queues?)

Please enlighten us about the terrible exploit that befalls the game if gearing were to be made more accessible and less restrictive and forcefully paced.

If the high-end people want stuff to chase, why not get more decorations and mounts and exclusive cosmetics and titles and things for them to chase instead of gear? Gearing shouldn't be a reward (imo), it should be an afterthought in the quest to get better stuff like decos, cosmetics, epeen-stroking stuff that makes people jealous and want to chase it for themselves, etc.

On Topic, he has been talking about what our Tactical Gear should be able to do , what kind of damage, and and Defence and Healing, etc.

I do want to see Tanks do more Damage with Tactical, and for Juggernauts to be able to use Lightning, but that is probably wishful thinking, but a Lot of us want that choice.

Edited by MandFlurry

-eric

Took you guys long enough! We were saying this from the very beginning! :rak_03:

Not that I don't get it - you guys plan and plan to have certain systems used in certain ways, and then the players end up using some of those systems in ways you hadn't anticipated that is more fun for them but you had not accounted for.

The thing to keep in mind, always, is the same as your disclaimer on the game that the experience may change - so too for the development team.

You may work on something for a year-and-a-half to get it ready, and then the players end up using it in a way you don't anticipate but they enjoy. In almost every case, if players are having more fun misusing the system rather than using it the way you envisioned, so long as it is not hacking, cheating, or gives one player in advantage over another (as in, all players can use the system easily and equally the same way if they are so inclined) it is always better to err on the side of fun.

Rather than Force the players down what you originally envisioned, find out why your player base finds the different method more fun and use that to plan for the future.

It may drive you guys a little nuts oh, but you will end up with an infinitely happier playerbase and a much more successful game for it, by allowing the players those happy accidents, where you can...

Edited by ZionHalcyon

-eric

TYVM.... this already sounds promising !

Having a really hard time coming up with travel tactical items. I can only think of one, and it may be considered game-breaking, or at least the default go to.

Foretravel, what about a tactical item that is a personal waypoint generator?

everyone can get to a planet and then someone on the team who has one of these and is out in the wild plants this thing noun and now anyone who is in this person's group can go to this way point?

I could see it being used in operations a lot to not have to recover ground after a wipe.

• Dev Post

etc

That's fair, then come up with some ideas that you think aren't meh and post them in the thread! Those were just meant to be guiding examples, we are absolutely looking for any and all ideas, especially ones that you will be excited for.

-eric

That's fair, then come up with some ideas that you think aren't meh and post them in the thread! Those were just meant to be guiding examples, we are absolutely looking for any and all ideas, especially ones that you will be excited for.

-eric

How about an item that makes the Inquisitor/Consular class less squishy? That'd be exciting and great especially playing as a sorc.

These aren't boring to me. I craft a lot, and I know plenty of other people do too. I would love to get crafting and gathering sets that I could share across the various crew skill specialists of my legacy. A bonus to critical success for crafting, and additional resources gathered for gathering. Simple - maybe seems too simple? - but it's what people who focus on these paths would actually want. And if this is too boring to you, just don't use them and leave them to those of us interested by them. :)

Edited by Estelindis

-eric

And why is not it undone? If it does not work, you could give more crystals to compensate. But you do not do it, but rather annoy your customers. Proposals in this regard are ignored.