Why do Dark Side Jedi Knights have "Master" titles instead of "General"? (Knight spoilers)

ArkhaanPremiare

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Consular gets the rank in Chapter 2 so I'd understand that, but Satele specifically said that the Knight isn't a master due to the darkness inside him. He was instead made a Jedi General in the Republic. So why do I have a Master title instead of a General title?

basically the same reason why we could kill companions in beta but in live we can't (up until KotFE that is); because enough players failed to realize the consequences of their story actions and turned into crybaby whiners who b****ed and moaned enough that BW said, "F*** it" and altered it so it gave the title of Master even though the story calls them a General.

Edited by psandak

Back in beta, people cried.

Just like how Sith Warriors didn't used to get the Darth title, they got Emperor's Wrath instead (seriously. At no point in the SW story is he/she promoted to Darth). But people cried.

There are other examples of things that were removed in beta because people some people threw a fit.

Back in beta, people cried.

Just like how Sith Warriors didn't used to get the Darth title, they got Emperor's Wrath instead (seriously. At no point in the SW story is he/she promoted to Darth). But people cried.

There are other examples of things that were removed in beta because people some people threw a fit.

I did not know that one, do you still get Emperor's wrath title?

using Darth never made much sense to me as you never officially became a Darth I may use Emperor's Wrath on my next warrior.

basically the same reason why we could kill companions in beta but in live we can't (up until KotFE that is); because enough players failed to realize the consequences of their story actions and turned into crybaby whiners who b****ed and moaned enough that BW said, "F*** it" and altered it so it gave the title of Master even though the story calls them a General.

Yeah this is a pity, people not wanting consquences of their in game actions annoys me and I think that that is a big reason that the game does not include choices that matter because when they do people moan about it.

In a way I feel that doing this stifles the game.

Edited by Jedi_riches

Originally, in Beta, that was how it was - DS choices got you the "General" title, LS choices got you "Master" - but enough players didn't like that their Knight character could end up without the Master title that BW changed it so that everyone got Master, instead.

Side note: it occurs to me, reading this thread, that there may be an interesting conversation to be had over "BioWare needs to listen to player feedback more!" versus "people whined and BioWare pandered / caved to their whining!" narratives.:p

Edited by DarthDymond

You will be one in the end if you play further anyway its just a issue the devs never fixed.

Well, actually they did fix it, to the current way it is. Since it was in beta that the Jedi got the title of General, but some players had not been happy, same on the imerial side with Sith Warrior, who didn't got the Darth title, so they fixed it that no matter the class, your Jedi will become a Master and your Sith will become a Darth.

I don't see what the big deal would be. Vitiate never became a Darth and he's the most powerful Sith in history. None of the ancient Sith Lords were Darths either. The title seems like more of a formality than anything else, one the Warrior doesn't need as the Emperor's/Empire's Wrath.

As far as the DS Knight goes, that's just common sense. Why would you ever think that your Dark Jedi would be promoted to Master?

I don't see what the big deal would be. Vitiate never became a Darth and he's the most powerful Sith in history. None of the ancient Sith Lords were Darths either. The title seems like more of a formality than anything else, one the Warrior doesn't need as the Emperor's/Empire's Wrath.

As far as the DS Knight goes, that's just common sense. Why would you ever think that your Dark Jedi would be promoted to Master?

I can kind of understand it from (A) a gameplay / story segregation standpoint and (B) an RP standpoint (particularly for the Darth title).

(A) some people are playing this for the fun of just running around as a Jedi / Sith in a Star Wars setting, and they may just want to have those options for customizing their character in the same way they might want to look just like Naga Sadow because they enjoyed the comics or just run around in a slave-girl chain bikini because... reasons, I guess.

(B) RPers don't usually play their character as "The Hero of Tython" or "The Emperor's Wrath", they make up their own story / background for their character, and having a Jedi character who can't get "Master" in front of his name or a Sith who can't be "Darth" may feel limiting to them (particularly with the Sith Warrior situation, since in that case it wasn't even something they could get around by making specific choices).

That being said, I wish BW had gone the route of giving both titles, with one just being non-canon for the character, instead of only giving out a single title regardless of outcome.

Edited by DarthDymond

The whole issue could be resolved by giving the dark side jedi the option to become a sith. On the other side give a light side sith the option to become a jedi. Does that make more sense with the titles now?

What I've learned (again) from this thread is that any feedback that one person makes that another person doesn't like will be labeled "whining" and "crying", regardless of the motivation, tone, or context of that feedback.

People always say that they want their choices to matter, except every time Bioware did in the past people complained and they removed the choices. Like killing a companion in Beta, they wilfully kill a companion only to find that the don't like the consequences so they complain THEN DON'T KILL THE COMPANION IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Edited by Jedi_riches

What I've learned (again) from this thread is that any feedback that one person makes that another person doesn't like will be labeled "whining" and "crying", regardless of the motivation, tone, or context of that feedback.

If their feedback ignores all logic and reason.

People always say that they want their choices to matter, except every time Bioware did in the past people complained and they removed the choices. Like killing a companion in Beta, they wilfully kill a companion only to find that the don't like the consequences so they complain.

Which is lame because you can always just reroll or start over.

I think it stems further, it a systemic problem that gamers just have in general nowadays, they want choice, they want choices that matter, they want to matter - but they want all this without consequence, without giving something up; in other words; i want things to matter but at no risk to my game!

Choices only matter BECAUSE there are consequences! (much like real life) but players don't want to suffer the consequences to make the choices matter! So it's futile.

I can kind of understand it from (A) a gameplay / story segregation standpoint and (B) an RP standpoint (particularly for the Darth title).

(A) some people are playing this for the fun of just running around as a Jedi / Sith in a Star Wars setting, and they may just want to have those options for customizing their character in the same way they might want to look just like Naga Sadow because they enjoyed the comics or just run around in a slave-girl chain bikini because... reasons, I guess.

(B) RPers don't usually play their character as "The Hero of Tython" or "The Emperor's Wrath", they make up their own story / background for their character, and having a Jedi character who can't get "Master" in front of his name or a Sith who can't be "Darth" may feel limiting to them (particularly with the Sith Warrior situation, since in that case it wasn't even something they could get around by making specific choices).

That being said, I wish BW had gone the route of giving both titles, with one just being non-canon for the character, instead of only giving out a single title regardless of outcome.

You have a point for the Sith RPers, but it doesn't matter if the Dark Jedi RPers are playing as the Hero of Tython or not. Dark Jedi don't become Masters and a current Master that turns to the dark side loses his "Master" status. It's silly to complain about not getting a title that's intended for Jedi that actually adhere to the principles of being a Jedi. It's like learning how you're supposed to do something, doing the exact opposite, then getting mad when you aren't recoginsed as a master of what you don't do or even agree with.

Which is lame because you can always just reroll or start over.

I think it stems further, it a systemic problem that gamers just have in general nowadays, they want choice, they want choices that matter, they want to matter - but they want all this without consequence, without giving something up; in other words; i want things to matter but at no risk to my game!

Choices only matter BECAUSE there are consequences! (much like real life) but players don't want to suffer the consequences to make the choices matter! So it's futile.

So true, I almost wish I was around for Beta (though the QOL changes and the whole levelling system overall is better now) as I would have liked to see this type of thing. I understand that there was another 'choice' in Beta with the Consular choice at the end of chapter 1, permanently sacrificing their strength or to kill the plague carrier and regain your full strength. The choice stayed in the game but there is no real change to your character either way going forward outside of

killing the protected masters but this does not really have any lasting effects outside of a in game mail or a line of dialogue

We could have kept dynamic companion abilities if we had gotten to keep companion tank/dps/heal kits.

What was this then? a alternative way of implementing what we got in 4.0? how did it work?

How come it never made it into the game? it did not work as intended? people did not like it?

Edited by Jedi_riches

Does anyone know of any videos showing the actual killing of your companions in beta? I've been trying to find some but to no avail.

I believe NDAs prevented those from ever seeing the light of day, not sure if they were ever technically lifted since I didn't start until the Open Beta and my understanding is that these options were apparently only around back in Closed Beta.