Hero Engine: why?

Tokeee

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you choose an Engine that wasn't developed to your exact specifications? I mean, EA and BW make enough, you could have outsourced your Engine development and made the engine fit your game.

Instead, you chose the lazy way and are trying to make a game fit an engine. Not only that, you picked a terrible single-threaded engine that can't even process commands before animations finish, hence all of the ability delay rage you're seeing.

Seriously. Blizzard built an engine to fit their game, they're billions (trillions yet?) richer. You didn't, and you're missing out on Billions in part due to this decision.

Why?

Sir please start a developing company, your knowledge of the gaming industry is too much for these peasant forum dwellers.

Why?

Warhammer did the same thing. If I could kick the guy in the nads who chose Warhammer's engine I would do so gladly.

The hero engine is bad. Champions has the same ability lag this game suffers from.

ahh the hero engine, putting out top notch games such as the following:

Faxion Online

Star Wars: The Old Republic from BioWare

Hero's Journey - Company's game the engine was developed for.

Origins - Developed by Burning Dog

Prime: Battle For Dominus by PitchBlack Games

The Repopulation - Being developed by Above and Beyond Technologies

Visions of Zosimos by Forever Interactive

Why?

Someone who knows of what they speak - rare on such forums.

AMEN I have a good gaming pc

and everything is slow loading, major lag if you play for long time due to memory leak

I play a lot, being disabled it allows it haha, but after 3 hours of gameplay the game is eating over 2 gigs of ram and slows to a crawl.

oh and don't log out using quit button in game it takes FOREVER for the game client to quit.

what I do is alt tab, open task manager and end task on swtor.exe then the game instantly exits.

then i relog for another 3 hours of gameplay before the memory leak monster eats it all up again.

and this is on a SSD hard drive.

is it possible for bioware to switch the assets to a different more in-house engine at some point in the future? Or are we as players screwed.

likely to be free to play before that happens. vote with your money though

Have you ever played on any of Bioware's in house engines? You should be praising them to the high heavens for not inflicting Aurora 3 on us. Or Warcraft 4 for that matter. Something remarkable when WoW runs worse on my computer than Arkham Asylum. Edited by Bakarn

Wow... we sure have alot of professional programmers here. You really are programmers yes? Because otherwise theres no way you can tell what can and cant be done with this engine.

From the year i studied programming i learned that everything is possible and theres always a way to make your code more eficient. Maybe its the engine, or maybe its just a design choice they chose to rectify? We cant really tell until bioware tells us. :)

Wow... we sure have alot of professional programmers here. You really are programmers yes? Because otherwise theres no way you can tell what can and cant be done with this engine.

From the year i studied programming i learned that everything is possible and theres always a way to make your code more eficient. Maybe its the engine, or maybe its just a design choice they chose to rectify? We cant really tell until bioware tells us. :)

You doubt people's talk that paints them as programmers and then expect anyone to listen to what you say based upon your own theoretical ONE YEAR spent learning programming?

That makes me laugh.

The Hero Engine was chosen by BioWare because at the time it was all the talk of the idiots at E3 who even managed to give a Best in Show award to the game it was developed for - Hero's Journey - which turned out to be complete vaporware. The Hero Engine was designed by a game company, Simutronics, which is almost entirely a text-based MUD game designer with no experience in graphical MMO's.

The Hero Engine is and was nothing more than a money-making scheme for Simutronics and Hero's Journey turned out to be nothing more than a slick way to sell the game engine. It is still knocking about, still vaporware too, at a German company now. But that company is run by the ex-CFO of Simutronics and that tells you all you need to know about what is really going on with it.

You doubt people's talk that paints them as programmers and then expect anyone to listen to what you say based upon your own theoretical ONE YEAR spent learning programming?

That makes me laugh.

And your credentials are?

10+ years Software Programmer here.

I love the way the engine looks and there is a multi-thread release coming soon.

However, I'm not going to stop playing just because of some issues. I really, really like this game and its been a long time since I had this much "fun" in an MMO.

I am confident in Bioware. I don't have the same faith in other companies...

This thread makes me sad, knowing that the game was doomed before it even began. :(

Even so, they have commited the grave sin of not giving us server forums and that is all on them, so it doesn't really matter to me. If they don't add them before diablo 3 comes out I won't be giving them any more of my money.