Holding aggro for tanking

InquisitorTran

Some tips:

Step back at least 5m before using your taunt. You'll get 20% more threat. If a boss fight has a knockback, just taunt before you jump back in.

You get 10% higher threat than the current target when taunting from melee range, or 30% more from ranged (about 5m+).

Remind your group mates to drop agro. It's easier to forget. Melees have a 20% greater chance to stealing agro because of the range, so especially them.

Keep taunting. Durring the fight if you know you won't need both for emergency, use one of the taunts every time it's on CD.

Upgrade your main/offhand, the tech power will help. Get your defense augs, the secondary of power on them will help. Practice your single target rotation on a dummy.

Never lead with a taunt, since there is no threat generated yet, the taunt gives you a % of nothing and only forces the mob to attack you for 6 seconds. Jump in, get a little damage on the mob, then taunt as someone else takes agro.

For trash mobs (FPs and such), jump in, use your free 2 flame sweeps, + 2 more, then as your agro starts to drop use carbonite, wait one second, THEN hit your AOE taunt. By that time, your taunt holds them like a champ because of all the threat that was laid down first.

AOE threat generation is a problem for me more than a single target (boss).

Take for example Mandalorian Raider's last boss, when he's on the corners with the turrets i have to keep aggro on them all (so i have been told) and it's damn difficult to do it.

Also on trash, if mobs are spreaded, i'm taking care of the elites but the other ones i leave to the group. I don't know if this is the right way or not.

Also, a good group make our job easier...

BTW i dind't know about +30% threat gen on 5m range... I will try it, but this way i'll be missing Rocket Punch right? Since it's 4m range.

Edited by drGudo

Only backup to taunt, then go back to normal melee range for everything else.

For that last boss, it's a bit tricky, make sure everyone is attacking the same turret, use your single taunt on that one and your AOEs on there others, you can spread around a little damage to up your threat on the ones not being focused.

From your questions, it sounds like you're a good tank. It's just hard to hold agro on a bunch of small mobs, especially since 2.0 (everyone else's threat increased in comparison). Hold the eletes when you can. Play with the rest of your toolbox to reduce damage to others. Carbonite, stun, grapple, slows from your flame sweep..

On general or spread out trash, I'll jump in, and use that speed buff you get and the free flame sweeps to run around tagging all the mobs at least once before I use my taunts. That way unfocused mobs are more likely to stick to you at first since you touched them. You can pull a far mob over, pull is high threat also.

Also in FPs, don't be afraid to make people wait for your CDs, that AOE taunt is pure tanking gold and without it, you can have an easy wipe in some spots.

With practice and obsession, you'll get better with trash, as long as you can get the majority, you're doing great. A good healer will swap off you and heal the non-tank taking damage (because they are squishy), so 1 or 2 stragglers shouldn't cause a problem.

All the advice given above is amazing.

Never really had an issue with threat, so all I can really add is look at your opener. The one I usually use:

Death From Above(/Explosive Dart) --> Jet Charge --> Flame Sweep --> Rocket Punch --> Rail Shot --> Flame Thrower

DfA is amazing threat even though you use it from range and will give you enough threat to start of with. How-ever if DfA is on recharge you're stuck with Explosive Dart and a lot of DPS won't give you the time needed.

Jet Charge for a gapcloser.

Flame Sweep to apply the 5% damage debuff asap.

Rocket Punch to trigger Rail Shot

Rail Shot for a bit more AoE and high damage on your primary target

Flame Thrower for even more AoE and generally it has procced by then, if not, still use it.

From there on I usually wait for those abilities to light up again. Nice little trick, DfA works on targets next to you aswell, just takes practice (well depending on the size of the enemy, if they're huge it's not really practice)

Whilst doing that I use my Shoulder Cannon whenever possible (bosses only) and Heat Blast whenever it procs, they're off global cooldown and thus not mentioned.

Shoulder Cannon is another nice of global cooldown threat generator and chances are big you won't be at 100% HP when you just engaged.

Heat Blast, well, we all know why. :)

And like mentioned above, use your taunts freely if needed. Guard the highest threat generator, usually a mDPS. Healers often aren't the best choice, they only create 50% threat (40% less if specced in anti-pushback) compared to DPS, so unless they're overhealing like crazy (which btw, doesn't make them good ;)) you're fine by simply tagging everything. And make sure your Barrel and Off-hand Armouring aren't too outdated.

If all else fails, ask the DPS to give you a second to build threat or remind them they should finish of 2-shot-able greys before moving on to the goldies. The better your DPS/Healers, the easier everything gets. More or less. :)

PS: Definitly trying that taunting at 5m+ range, thanks for that!

I don't like to charge in and do 2x sweep, as its wasting heat regen since you're sitting at 0.

I like to do explodive dart(preferably on a normal for the stun), then charge, then flamethrower if I can get most mobs. If one of them has a dot at this point in the group I'll rail shot for the cell dot spread. Then I use my free sweeps, which usually proc flame engine, and then you move on to normal rotation.

If dfa is up, i use that first, then charge, then flamethrower(dfa will probably proc flame engine) then play it by ear , trying not to overheat or run out of heat.

Also, don't be afraid to use your defensive cool downs (especially oil slick). Often the trash adds are more stressful for healers than the bosses are.

Only backup to taunt, then go back to normal melee range for everything else.

For that last boss, it's a bit tricky, make sure everyone is attacking the same turret, use your single taunt on that one and your AOEs on there others, you can spread around a little damage to up your threat on the ones not being focused.

From your questions, it sounds like you're a good tank. It's just hard to hold agro on a bunch of small mobs, especially since 2.0 (everyone else's threat increased in comparison). Hold the eletes when you can. Play with the rest of your toolbox to reduce damage to others. Carbonite, stun, grapple, slows from your flame sweep..

On general or spread out trash, I'll jump in, and use that speed buff you get and the free flame sweeps to run around tagging all the mobs at least once before I use my taunts. That way unfocused mobs are more likely to stick to you at first since you touched them. You can pull a far mob over, pull is high threat also.

Also in FPs, don't be afraid to make people wait for your CDs, that AOE taunt is pure tanking gold and without it, you can have an easy wipe in some spots.

With practice and obsession, you'll get better with trash, as long as you can get the majority, you're doing great. A good healer will swap off you and heal the non-tank taking damage (because they are squishy), so 1 or 2 stragglers shouldn't cause a problem.

Thanks for the tips :jawa_biggrin:

Anyway, most of the time - when FPing throu group finder - a lot of people doesn't even wait for me to pull, cuz they are heavily geared or else, and it's frustrating sometimes. We are not wiping in the end, but makes me feel useless :jawa_mad:

Also threat reduction CCs, some people don't even know they exist (on their own class).

Edited by drGudo

Thanks for the tips :jawa_biggrin:

Anyway, most of the time - when FPing throu group finder - a lot of people doesn't even wait for me to pull, cuz they are heavily geared or else, and it's frustrating sometimes. We are not wiping in the end, but makes me feel useless :jawa_mad:

Also threat reduction CCs, some people don't even know they exist (on their own class).

Threat reduction CC's only work if used preemptively anyway.

Melee/ranged for threat purposes is 4m from the very center of the target. So you and all melee DPS are almost always outside of melee range for threat purposes.

So, at range it takes 30% over tank's threat to pull.

So you as the tank has 1000 threat. Your sniper just hit 1300, and pulls the target from you. In order to get it back, you will need 30% above his threat, or 1690. If you taunt now, you will have 1690 and the sniper would now need 2197 to pull it back off of you. If he uses his threat reduction now (25%), he'll be at 975 with you at 1690, not very likely to pull again.

However, the sniper freaks out, and hits his threat reduction before you taunt. He's now at that 975, but he still has agro because you at 1000 do not have 30% more than him. So you taunt, giving you 30% more than current agro target (sniper) and you now have 1267.5.

Threat reductions have no benefit when you currently have agro. Its better to wait for tank to taunt and then use it to ensure you don't pull, or use it after a big string of crits to not pull in the first place.

Stealth out agro drops are different though.

Threat reductions have no benefit when you currently have agro. Its better to wait for tank to taunt and then use it to ensure you don't pull, or use it after a big string of crits to not pull in the first place.

Stealth out agro drops are different though.

In fact, i've never had a single problem to drop off aggro with my Marauder, even before the tank's taunt.

So Force Camouflage has different mechanic of the other threat-out CCs?

Edited by drGudo

In fact, i've never had a single problem to drop off aggro with my Marauder, even before the tank's taunt.

So Force Camouflage has different mechanic of the other threat-out CCs?

Yea, it stealths you out and I'm pretty sure completely wipes your threat.

Yea, it stealths you out and I'm pretty sure completely wipes your threat.

I don't think it wipes your threat completely, I think it just forces them to attack someone else, while dropping yours by 30%. Otherwise rauders wouldn't be able to pull late in a fight. It's one awesome agro drop though for sure..

Some tips:

Step back at least 5m before using your taunt...

Remind your group mates to drop agro...

Keep taunting...

Upgrade your main/offhand, the tech power will help...

Never lead with a taunt...

For trash mobs (FPs and such), jump in, use your free 2 flame sweeps, + 2 more, then as your agro starts to drop use carbonite, wait one second, THEN hit your AOE taunt...

I wish I could link this to every PUG tank ever

Bravo +1000000 internets

• 2 weeks later...

I would add one thing : know the aggro mechanics.

Most have been explained here, few remain.

1. DPS produce threat at a 100% of damage ration.

Tank at 150% ratio

Healers (when healing) at 50%

2. But the targets of the aggro are different when you heal or damage : for damage threat, all goes to the one taking the damage and for healing, it's divided between all the participants of the fight, including those that have not been yet damaged.

That's why in case of group fighting, your healer becomes te target of trash mobs or adds.

For that, you need to :

- damage the most targets you can with aoe and moving around the battle ground.

- have the dps focus on trash and adds before focusing on strong and elites.

I know it may seem evident, yet I can still see in some 55 hm fp some dps focusing on bosses and forgeting the adds.

With PT mechanics, depending on the group configurations, I can use DFA on the group I'm charging on or on the side groups and then charge with flame sweep another group (I mean, not a group that wouldn't be included in the fight, just a set of mobs a bit outside of the DFA area). This way, I pull almost all the mobs of the fight and let the dps have time to eliminate the trash mobs before anyone takes the aggro.

See : if you do a trash mob 30% of its life in damage, that means an equivalent of 45% of its life in threat. That is, no one can take the aggro before it's killed.

I don't think it wipes your threat completely, I think it just forces them to attack someone else, while dropping yours by 30%. Otherwise rauders wouldn't be able to pull late in a fight. It's one awesome agro drop though for sure..

no one should ever pull off the tank after the first 15 seconds. If the tank is getting pulled off of late(assuming no agro dump from the boss) he is doing something drastically wrong. I was tanking a sm TFB the other day and went afk when the boss was at 50% health came back a few min later boss was at 10% and I still had agro.... A few taunts at the start of the the fight go a looooong way

no one should ever pull off the tank after the first 15 seconds. If the tank is getting pulled off of late(assuming no agro dump from the boss) he is doing something drastically wrong. I was tanking a sm TFB the other day and went afk when the boss was at 50% health came back a few min later boss was at 10% and I still had agro.... A few taunts at the start of the the fight go a looooong way

ps. was OP IX