I have a weird question about gear

Zaldalia

if all the sets are the same what is the drive to do HM or NIM ops is it just achievments and mounts now or are their new sets that we don't know of out of HM and NIM ops?

Same as it's been since 4.0 when NiM level gear became easily available, achievements, mounts, challenge. :)

if all the sets are the same what is the drive to do HM or NIM ops is it just achievments and mounts now or are their new sets that we don't know of out of HM and NIM ops?

It's not a weird question. In fact it's an issue I wonder about as well. The other person saying that it's been this way since 4.0 I don't agree with because he's simply wrong. In 4.0 you had to do HM at least because the priority ops was about an assigned HM ops that would drop NiM gear. So again he's wrong and NiM still dropped the best gear and most HMs were pretty tough still. So gear progression was at least for a good part intact in raids.

However, with 5.0 this changed and particularly Ossus was the nail in the coffin for gear progression as part of raiding. And well 6.0 is a continuation of that. I find it interesting that BW saw Ossus gear as a mistake. I thought they meant that they should bring end game gearing back to raids but no...they apparently meant it was a bad idea to make it part of solo content more than anything. So now people are doing FPs mostly for gearing and some do SM ops and HM EV for tech frags to fill out the missing tacticals and set bonus pieces.

But I have the same issue now, there is little incentive to do HM/NiM raids other than just for the sake of doing them. This is problematic because progression raiding does include wipes and big repair costs, but no trade off with good rewards. Also once you've completed the bosses there is little incentive to go back many times because there is no gear to build up. You already have BiS gear even before going into SM ops if you want.

What baffles me is that they bring out a brand new ops and very little incentive for people to actually play it. I rarely see a group for it and I haven't gotten around to it yet because well, whatever. You have to be in a specific type of guild to get around to that and in my very large conquest guild, there hasn't been much interest at all. Nobody talks about it really.

The whole point of progression raiding, to me at least, is the combination of challenge and reward. They took half of it out. That makes me wonder why I would bother because I've done most Ops tons of times and the two last ones people tend to avoid. So yeah...not a weird question from my point of view.

It's not a weird question. In fact it's an issue I wonder about as well. The other person saying that it's been this way since 4.0 I don't agree with because he's simply wrong. In 4.0 you had to do HM at least because the priority ops was about an assigned HM ops that would drop NiM gear. So again he's wrong and NiM still dropped the best gear and most HMs were pretty tough still. So gear progression was at least for a good part intact in raids.

However, with 5.0 this changed and particularly Ossus was the nail in the coffin for gear progression as part of raiding. And well 6.0 is a continuation of that. I find it interesting that BW saw Ossus gear as a mistake. I thought they meant that they should bring end game gearing back to raids but no...they apparently meant it was a bad idea to make it part of solo content more than anything. So now people are doing FPs mostly for gearing and some do SM ops and HM EV for tech frags to fill out the missing tacticals and set bonus pieces.

But I have the same issue now, there is little incentive to do HM/NiM raids other than just for the sake of doing them. This is problematic because progression raiding does include wipes and big repair costs, but no trade off with good rewards. Also once you've completed the bosses there is little incentive to go back many times because there is no gear to build up. You already have BiS gear even before going into SM ops if you want.

What baffles me is that they bring out a brand new ops and very little incentive for people to actually play it. I rarely see a group for it and I haven't gotten around to it yet because well, whatever. You have to be in a specific type of guild to get around to that and in my very large conquest guild, there hasn't been much interest at all. Nobody talks about it really.

The whole point of progression raiding, to me at least, is the combination of challenge and reward. They took half of it out. That makes me wonder why I would bother because I've done most Ops tons of times and the two last ones people tend to avoid. So yeah...not a weird question from my point of view.

I agree mostly. I think the abysmal drop rates of the gear set pieces that are supposed to drop in the Dxun operation probably play a part. There's not even a single guaranteed drop of set bonus. So why in the heck would you waste 3 hours and tons of repair costs instead of just running a few MM FPs?

If each boss had a small chance and last boss had a guaranteed chance of a Dxun set bonus, I think people would play it more often. If they really wanted to maintain progression, they could have several sets drop in SM and reserve a few special and powerful (not class-specific mind you) tacticals for VM runs.

There is no reason to anything in the game now as it is nerfed to a lower level and so are you.

Gear no longer matters and so doing vet and master doesn't either.

Meridian and Dxun are the only places your gear is effective as is. You get set bonus pieces and tacticals from everywhere except certain ones from certain places. So in effect there is no reason to do them if your only motivation is getting a new gear piece.

Gear does not matter so nothing in the game matters if you are goal orientated around gear. If you are achievement orientated then you will do anything that has an achievement. No more achievements why bother. So the only reason to do anything in this game once you have top gear is to play what you like.

SWTOR is now complete instant satisfaction with the ability to get top gear in less than 30 FP runs