Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
DJs Mercenary Healing Guide For Dummies

TempestasSilva
12.28.2011 , 02:45 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by halfabrotha View Post
My problem is I only run groups for +4 elites and I still have not run a flash point (lvl 21). I'm finding I am a n00b with the heals. So I am thinking I should respec heals so I "know my role".
IMO If you want to be a healer...you should be a healer. I am full bodyguard and at level 27 ATM. The ONLY problem I have is elites that chain heal themselves. It makes for a VERY long fight. I think my solution is going to be to go Arsenal up to Tracer Missile, then the rest in bodyguard. That should lower or eliminate the only frustration I have. Also I am really looking forward to Galt & Blizz for a DPS increase since I can heal and it will give me more practice healing. That may be also be a viable alternative to Tracer Missile. We will see.

toulon
12.28.2011 , 02:52 PM | #32
DJ,

excellent information and I love that you listed your keybinds.

My question is this, I leveled 1-25 as Arsenal then 25-39 as Pyro.

I haven't found a good source of info on what stats I need to change from DPS to Healing? Do we still focus on Aim? Then what Crit? Power? Surge? and could most of our DPS gear be fine with changes in our mods?

any tips would be helpful.

thanks!
Faustis, Merc Bounty Hunter (Kinrath Spider)
Denith, Sith Juggernaut (The Fatman)
Scynter, Watchman Jedi Knight (The Fatman)
Fleury, Sith Marauder (The Fatman)

djinnerman
12.28.2011 , 03:18 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by toulon View Post
DJ,

excellent information and I love that you listed your keybinds.

My question is this, I leveled 1-25 as Arsenal then 25-39 as Pyro.

I haven't found a good source of info on what stats I need to change from DPS to Healing? Do we still focus on Aim? Then what Crit? Power? Surge? and could most of our DPS gear be fine with changes in our mods?

any tips would be helpful.

thanks!
Hey there thanks for the compliment.

I haven't gotten into the stats just yet because I wanted to get solid into what was needed. As a bounty hunter, our main stats are Aim everywhere we go. Stick with this guideline which I will place in the guide soon:

Aim = BH/Trooper
Cunning = IA/Smuggler
Strength = JK/SW
Willpower = Inquis/Consular

So the basic laydown will be Aim and Endurance in your gear.
Now for the other stats, I wouldn't worry too too much on the extra stats until you start hitting high levels and max level for raiding. Alacrity will be an important stat but up to a certain amount. You should probably be focusing on Power and Crit since it will be adding towards your bonus heals and your crit chances. Surge just adds burst damage.

Quote: Originally Posted by TempestasSilva View Post
IMO If you want to be a healer...you should be a healer. I am full bodyguard and at level 27 ATM. The ONLY problem I have is elites that chain heal themselves. It makes for a VERY long fight. I think my solution is going to be to go Arsenal up to Tracer Missile, then the rest in bodyguard. That should lower or eliminate the only frustration I have. Also I am really looking forward to Galt & Blizz for a DPS increase since I can heal and it will give me more practice healing. That may be also be a viable alternative to Tracer Missile. We will see.
BTW - Thank you for this. I decided to respec for now so I can have a more steady time leveling. It's a slight adjustment, but I should still be able to heal like normal. I'll need to try out the healing in flashpoints soon.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

Kelsondra
12.28.2011 , 04:10 PM | #34
Thanks so much for the guide! I'm usually a DPS but got fed up with the lack of healers on my server so I decided to make one. I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't read this.

teastley
12.28.2011 , 04:53 PM | #35
Great guide DJ! as a serial clicker who is just getting his head around key binds, I'd love to see a screen shot of a few bodyguard UI's, just to see what works for peeps.
I used to always be a half presser/half clicker, pressing keys 1-6 then have my cursor frantically zipping around the screen for the rest. But 2 days of playing marauder made me realise keybinds are the go for SWTOR. I just find it intersting who binds what to where?

Again, great guide! cheers!

Smos
12.28.2011 , 05:47 PM | #36
This was a fun guide to read, thanks for making it!
Sometimes a bit hard to follow your derranged, but witty, side-comments, but the overall message came across clearly!

cheers!

djinnerman
12.28.2011 , 06:40 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelsondra View Post
Thanks so much for the guide! I'm usually a DPS but got fed up with the lack of healers on my server so I decided to make one. I wouldn't have known what to do if I hadn't read this.
I'm really glad you are wanting to head the healer route. That makes me happy. I really hope you enjoy being a healer just as much as I do. There is a huge community willing to help out so feel free to ask around if you have questions. I know I don't have the know all answers and there are always others who know what they are doing as well. A well of knowledge is greater than a cup of it.

Quote: Originally Posted by teastley View Post
Great guide DJ! as a serial clicker who is just getting his head around key binds, I'd love to see a screen shot of a few bodyguard UI's, just to see what works for peeps.
I used to always be a half presser/half clicker, pressing keys 1-6 then have my cursor frantically zipping around the screen for the rest. But 2 days of playing marauder made me realise keybinds are the go for SWTOR. I just find it intersting who binds what to where?

Again, great guide! cheers!
I wish Bioware has customizable UI, but for now there isn't any. Maybe I'll post a screenie on what I have just as a look at what the basics of what we're dealing with. I'm using all of the hotbars fyi.

I do click as I mentioned, my guilty conscience, but eventually it boils down to not doing it at all. However you want to play, is whatever works best for you.

And thank you for the kind comment.

Quote: Originally Posted by Smos View Post
This was a fun guide to read, thanks for making it!
Sometimes a bit hard to follow your derranged, but witty, side-comments, but the overall message came across clearly!

cheers!
My writing style has always been a bit deranged. My writing classes have always been trivial and I enjoy creative writing. I have a very random mind and I get in a very creative mode. Sometimes I go overboard and tend to confuse people but then end up explaining it in the end. My main goal is to prevent boring the reader and provide at least an entertainment value at some point.

Also, the For Dummies books ifrc, has some humor in it as well, so I tried to keep it in the same margin.

Let me know if anything was confusing for you, maybe I would like to clean it up a bit!!

BTW - Sorry for the prank table of contents portion

tehehehehehe
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits

SylasSeraph
12.29.2011 , 12:30 AM | #38
thank you for this guide i was haveing fun as dps but when i hit 20 i reolised that no one was ever needing dps for anything so i asked around and was told that merc dps was bad and usualy not needed in partys so i repeced as heals and was haveing fun. this guide was fun and easy to read and helps me see some of the small things that i can do to be a better healer. p.s. i have never been a healer in any game ever before so this is an interesting experiance for me. once again thank you

Efioanaes
12.29.2011 , 05:42 AM | #39
Thanks for this guide, however i have a major idlemna in that im constantly switching between my merc and sorcerer for healing, both are in their 20s and i simply cannot decide which to level up.
I enjoy both probably the BH a bit more if im being honest but ive read here and there that the sorcerer/sage is the best healer in the game.
Initially my understanding was there was NO BEST HEALER yet the theory crafters out there seem to suggest otherwise.

To make matters wors i rolled an operative to see what its healing is like, i like the sound of healing driods
Ill never hit lvl 50 at this rate, while im not in a hurry i wish i could decide which to max lvl first.

djinnerman
12.29.2011 , 02:09 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Efioanaes View Post
Thanks for this guide, however i have a major idlemna in that im constantly switching between my merc and sorcerer for healing, both are in their 20s and i simply cannot decide which to level up.
I enjoy both probably the BH a bit more if im being honest but ive read here and there that the sorcerer/sage is the best healer in the game.
Initially my understanding was there was NO BEST HEALER yet the theory crafters out there seem to suggest otherwise.

To make matters wors i rolled an operative to see what its healing is like, i like the sound of healing driods
Ill never hit lvl 50 at this rate, while im not in a hurry i wish i could decide which to max lvl first.
I've recently started working on a Sith Sorcerer and so far the healing is..okay compared to the Mercenary. It's still in the early levels so it is too early to judge but I'll have to see how it is going.

If it catches enough of my attention, then...sadly...I dunno if another guide is underway lolol.

Best Healer is subjective and it depends on the player itself. It always boils down to how well that player can play and know his/her class and utilize it to its optimal performance. Of course stats and numbercrunching such as spreadsheets can tell otherwise, it still goes down to the player.
Literofcola
<Coconut Monkeys>
The Crucible Pits