Is Taris worth fighting over?

AarenJ

I'm playing through the Warrior story for the second time and I've just completed the class quest. I was about to begin the story arc for the planet when I began to wonder if it was worth the effort.

Taris, for all intents and purposes, is a monster-infested swamp. Why not just stand back and smirk while the Republic funnels lives and resources into a project that probably wouldn't reach fruition for decades? Every pair of boots on Taris is one less in another, more strategically significant warzone.

Or maybe I just can't be bothered with Thana again. I dunno.

For the Empire it seems to be the principle of the thing - "Taris must not be rebuilt by the Republic, ever".

Personally, I'd just wipe out the resettlement outposts (and everything else) from orbit.

The only reason to bother with mounting a (ridiculous) ground campaign to wreck the resettlement process is if it is part of the overall provocation plan that the Empire seems to be using throughout Chapter 2 - trying to make it appear to the rest of the galaxy that the Republic are to blame for the war kicking off again.

So the option is destroy it all together or take out those who are on it and claim it. Why they don't do the former, no idea. Poor writing perhaps?

Might be they can't afford to commit enough ships for long enough to establish control of Taris' orbit and then bombard everything. Might be their orbital weapons aren't precise enough to effectively destroy the fairly small resettlement areas (when Malak destroyed Taris before, he didn't have to shoot everything, just do enough damage to make the substructure of the city collapse). Might be they have some plans for the planet itself - they do apparently want to seize Jedi relics from the ruins of the Enclave, for example, so they wouldn't want to destroy those from space.

Might be they're just not that smart. :p

Edited by Joachimthbear

Well the empire has one simple goal: They want to crush the republics hope.

On the republic side you can hear that one of the reasons for the rebuilding of Taris is to show that the republic does not give up, and that everything the Sith destroyed, can be rebuild. If the republic would make it, it would boost the morale in the republic.

So the Empire decides to crush the Republic's dreams by destroying all their effort, slaughtering the settlers, infect republic troops with the rakghoul plague and so on.

But is it worth it? Well for the Sith yes, but I think it's a waste of military ressources. Bombarding it from orbit, like Malak did, would be more effective, I guess.

(sorry for mistakes, english is not my first language)

Edited by Sichey

Lord Grathan had mentioned that if the republic managed to succeed on Taris they would have a staging ground into Imperial space and a symbol of Republic fortitude. Makes sense to me that they wouldn't want to take the chance of the Republic accomplishing this but it would make more sense to blast it from orbit.