Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Something is causing hiccups/delays in the Solo Ranked Pops

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Something is causing hiccups/delays in the Solo Ranked Pops

Rogean's Avatar


Rogean
06.08.2019 , 09:10 PM | #1
This has been happening since S10 Started (when all the matchmaking systems got changed).

Just now, the Star Forge server went for about an hour with no solo ranked pop, when we knew there were more than enough people in the queue. Finally, when a pop happened, it spawned 2 matches and even then there were people who didn't get a pop, indicating that the were plenty of people in queue.

This is not just an isolated event. It happens on a nightly basis, in the middle of prime time. Something is causing the system to get caught up and not pop a match for large delays at a time. Again, this only started after the matchmaking changes when S9 ended / S10 started.

Devs, if you could check and/or put some debugging on the system that could determine why this is happening. The ranked scene is already rather small, and this is causing more people to stop playing. When people assume that there's not enough people to make a game, they just log off and stop playing.

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
06.08.2019 , 09:49 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
This has been happening since S10 Started (when all the matchmaking systems got changed).

Just now, the Star Forge server went for about an hour with no solo ranked pop, when we knew there were more than enough people in the queue. Finally, when a pop happened, it spawned 2 matches and even then there were people who didn't get a pop, indicating that the were plenty of people in queue.

This is not just an isolated event. It happens on a nightly basis, in the middle of prime time. Something is causing the system to get caught up and not pop a match for large delays at a time. Again, this only started after the matchmaking changes when S9 ended / S10 started.

Devs, if you could check and/or put some debugging on the system that could determine why this is happening. The ranked scene is already rather small, and this is causing more people to stop playing. When people assume that there's not enough people to make a game, they just log off and stop playing.
This is definitely a real phenomenon. The queue just randomly stops popping even with enough people in queue as Rogean describes. I'm glad you brought this up so the devs might look into it.

omaan's Avatar


omaan
06.09.2019 , 04:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
This has been happening since S10 Started (when all the matchmaking systems got changed).

Just now, the Star Forge server went for about an hour with no solo ranked pop, when we knew there were more than enough people in the queue. Finally, when a pop happened, it spawned 2 matches and even then there were people who didn't get a pop, indicating that the were plenty of people in queue.

This is not just an isolated event. It happens on a nightly basis, in the middle of prime time. Something is causing the system to get caught up and not pop a match for large delays at a time. Again, this only started after the matchmaking changes when S9 ended / S10 started.

Devs, if you could check and/or put some debugging on the system that could determine why this is happening. The ranked scene is already rather small, and this is causing more people to stop playing. When people assume that there's not enough people to make a game, they just log off and stop playing.
I can even tell you why this ia happening. Not only new elo matchmaking system punishes highrated players by throwing them into teams with worst players in the queue, this system also makes sure that highrated players wont get a pop in the game where there is no other highrated player or at least middle-rated player in the queue to put them against each other. So if for example there are in queue 8 guys where 7 are 1000-1400 rated and last guy is 1650+ - it WONT POP UNTIL: 1) someone else with 800-1300 elo joins the queue so that 1000-1400 guys will get a pop against each other and highrated guy will be skipped or 2) someone with 1500+ joins the queue so that a 1650 guy gets a pop with 1000 rated noobs against 1500+ player and 1400 players in one team.

Literally this system wont even start a match until it see proper elo players are in queue to put them in different matches if possible due to queued players (thats why you often get 2 pops in the same time for 2 matches) or make one pop and skipping highrated guys since there is no other players with at least close elo to them to make a fight.

Thats why seasons 9 was much better since it didnt took elo into consideration for matchmaking. Or at least online was much better

omeru's Avatar


omeru
06.09.2019 , 05:26 AM | #4
Yes and it is a bug that BW will not gonna fix for a long time most probably never. You go without pops almost 20-30 minutes and 4-5 pops at the same time. This would be fixed if it was any other game but this game doesnt have real game developers all they know is destroying actually working systems and by doing that they are destroying games player base too.

bUrself_'s Avatar


bUrself_
06.09.2019 , 09:26 AM | #5
if this is real it's an awful bug. one would assume it's probably related to the way cross faction works or the new team building

does anyone who isn't a sperg poster just making things up as they write their posts know if it can happen with all dps games? or are support roles always present?

Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
this system also makes sure that highrated players wont get a pop in the game where there is no other highrated player or at least middle-rated player in the queue to put them against each other.
  • it has always been like this
  • it will pop after waiting long enough
  • lopsided games are bad so the fact it works this way is actually good anyway

JediMasterAlex's Avatar


JediMasterAlex
06.09.2019 , 10:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by bUrself_ View Post
does anyone who isn't a sperg poster just making things up as they write their posts know if it can happen with all dps games? or are support roles always present?
I don't know. What usually happens is there are pops going every few minutes, with say 12-16 people queueing, so there are different people rotating into these games. Then all of the sudden queues stop dead for about an hour, in prime time. And then you have 10 people talking in fleet chat about how they're still in queue. To be clear though, I don't think this happens nightly. I've noticed it happen about a dozen times over the last few months.

The first few times this happened, I assumed it must be that a bunch of people just all of the sudden logged out, but it has happened enough times that I'm quite sure the queue gets bugged sometimes. I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with either tanks/healers or matching high rated players, because those kinds of delays are normal. But who knows.

Quote: Originally Posted by bUrself_ View Post
  • lopsided games are bad so the fact it works this way is actually good anyway
I completely agree. Omaan preferred the old system where high rated players frequently got stacked on the same team. Now that teams are actually made as fairly as possible, he feels that high rated players are being "punished." I've explained to him numerous times in other threads how ludicrous his opinion is on this topic, but he still persists.

omeru's Avatar


omeru
06.09.2019 , 10:34 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
Devs, if you could check and/or put some debugging on the system that could determine why this is happening. The ranked scene is already rather small, and this is causing more people to stop playing. When people assume that there's not enough people to make a game, they just log off and stop playing.
Wait you really think they will fix this? This is not cartel market related issue so they will never fix it, also they know pvp and ranked community getting smaller and instead of looking for actual fixes they are using band aid solutions to move more casual players into ranked system with putting some expensive crafting mats and crystals. Sadly this game doesnt have a developer team to care about custumer satisfactory and it is a big issue all BW games lately. You can see same in ME:Andromeda and even worse on Anthem. Once loved company BW now even more evil than it's parent company. Aslong as they get your money they are ok less effort for money is the best.

omaan's Avatar


omaan
06.09.2019 , 10:44 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I
I completely agree. Omaan preferred the old system where high rated players frequently got stacked on the same team. Now that teams are actually made as fairly as possible, he feels that high rated players are being "punished." I've explained to him numerous times in other threads how ludicrous his opinion is on this topic, but he still persists.
And i told you tonnes of times that it is current system which makes lopsided fights since highrated players are always stucked with garbage players and arent able to get to highest spots with their skill as it was before. At least in the past it was random and both skilled, highrated and lowrated players had all chances to climb up with time either they had luck or no because all they needed is their skill. Now having skill isnt enough since system creates lopsided fights in favor of middle rated and lowrated players by throwing highrated players into garbage teams.

Thats why ranked population is dying, thats why almost all top 3 players are wintrading, thats why soon you wont get any pops at all because all players will quit pvp in this unfair game.

Enjoy your 1 hours queue time while it lasts. Soon even sf and dm will die

DavidAtkinson's Avatar


DavidAtkinson
06.09.2019 , 11:01 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by omaan View Post
And i told you tonnes of times that it is current system which makes lopsided fights since highrated players are always stucked with garbage players and arent able to get to highest spots with their skill as it was before. At least in the past it was random and both skilled, highrated and lowrated players had all chances to climb up with time either they had luck or no because all they needed is their skill. Now having skill isnt enough since system creates lopsided fights in favor of middle rated and lowrated players by throwing highrated players into garbage teams.

Thats why ranked population is dying, thats why almost all top 3 players are wintrading, thats why soon you wont get any pops at all because all players will quit pvp in this unfair game.

Enjoy your 1 hours queue time while it lasts. Soon even sf and dm will die
I understand your point, but I think in the past it was worse than it is now. You had high rated players stacked into the same team vs low rated hopefuls who got smashed to pieces all the time. I had times where I was in que and I knew who was queing and I got into teams of low rated vs all 4 top gold players and it happened on many occasions. You could easily predict by looking on your friend list what teams the game will make..

In this current system it kinda tries to balance things out.

The only time when matchmaking was totally random and only heals tanks where taken into consideration when forming teams was in pre season. Those were really good matches. I'm not saying this current system is perfect but it's the lesser evil out of the 2. I noticed that when you get around 1400, you start getting trash teams. Even arouind 1300+ it starts happening and then your elo slowly erodes away.

Honestly, there is no fix... The only fix would be a larger player pool, but as things are now that is not very likely to happen. Bioware needs to find some good ways of making people que ranked, but sadly ranked players are very hostiles to newbies which after a while could end up good, but..

bUrself_'s Avatar


bUrself_
06.09.2019 , 12:16 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with either tanks/healers or matching high rated players, because those kinds of delays are normal. But who knows.
I'm certain of almost nothing on the matter but like you I was just thinking that I can't really imagine any obvious reason why that stuff would produce this behavior, although I can sort of imagine something goofy with cross faction like a slot on a team getting locked in as pub after a guy unqueues or some other such accident



Quote: Originally Posted by JediMasterAlex View Post
I completely agree. Omaan preferred the old system where high rated players frequently got stacked on the same team. Now that teams are actually made as fairly as possible, he feels that high rated players are being "punished." I've explained to him numerous times in other threads how ludicrous his opinion is on this topic, but he still persists.
both systems have huge issues for the same reason (painfully high odds of there being a huge gap in ability b/ the handful of players on support roles in queue) but in his post he was specifically complaining that being higher rated can lead to getting skipped. like I said, this has always been a thing and it's always been a necessary nuisance. unless I'm misunderstanding what people are saying this is I guess sort of adjacent to but ultimately separate from the debate about which team the lower rated tank should be on, or whatever