Really confused about accuracy for lethality snipers

paowee

how much accuracy will I need? i'm a Lethality sniper with 0/3 to the accuracy talent in marks and i also dont have the companion buff.

1.) i've done my research over the past 2 days but it is confusing as i see some people say keep it at 95% ranged accuracy, others were at 90% ranged accuracy and say its "FINE", while the sithwarrior post says i "should" have a ranged accuracy of 320~ (forgot the exact number) which should put me closest to 100% ranged accuracy.

To add some more confusion ... i read somewhere that

2.) White hits = are affected by ranged accuracy (which can miss if i dont have 100% ranged accuracy?)

yellow hits = are affected by tech accuracy (which means they'll never miss)

3.) if that's so.. i think the only white damage we do would be.. Rifle Shot and Ambush? (snipe is out of the question as we're not even supposed to use it).

4.) I'm not sure if WB and Cull are affected by Ranged accuracy.. (Cull has both White and Yellow damage...)

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Have a nice day.

You want to see 100% accuracy on your basic sheet. So, you should see 110% tech accuracy, 100% Range accuracy. You are correct that some aspects of Cull and other attacks are considered ranged rather than tech, which is why you want the extra 10% for the operation boss's 10% defense.

Since you have neither the companion nor talent buffs that should be about 329 accuracy rating. Get Scorpio's quests done and you can drop down to 290.

Edited by chuixupu

You want to see 100% accuracy on your basic sheet. So, you should see 110% tech accuracy, 100% Range accuracy. You are correct that some aspects of Cull and other attacks are considered ranged rather than tech, which is why you want the extra 10% for the operation boss's 10% defense.

Since you have neither the companion nor talent buffs that should be about 329 accuracy rating. Get Scorpio's quests done and you can drop down to 290.

gotcha! thanks that's all i needed to know :D

100 ranged accuracry

110 tech accuracy.

how about you tho do you try to keep your accuracy close to these range ?

Accuracy is really poorly communicated on the character sheet.

It's divided into "ranged" and "tech" accuracy, but what it really should say is "basic" and "special". (If you hover over one of the accuracy numbers, you'll see it actually does call it "basic" or "special" in the tooltip, just not on the actual character sheet.)

Basic (i.e. "ranged") accuracy affects only our basic attack. That's Rifle Shot. Nothing else is subject to basic accuracy.

Special (i.e. "tech") accuracy affects everything else. Snipe, Corrosive Dart, Orbital Strike, Series of Shots, etc... all are considered "special" attacks and are subject to special accuracy.

The distinction between ranged -vs- tech attacks occurs in how the attack can be dodged/parried/deflected or shielded. Ranged attacks can be dodged using defense rating or can be shielded with shield rating. Tech attacks can be dodged using tech resistance (not a common stat) but cannot be shielded.

Summary:

• Rifle Shot is the only attack that starts with 90% base chance to hit. All others start with 100%.
  • Operations bosses have a 10% defense chance, meaning they have a 10% base chance to dodge our ranged attacks (basic and special).
  • The only time we will have our tech attacks dodged ("resisted") is when either we have an accuracy debuff or the target has one of the rare sources of tech resistance. (Bounty hunter tanking gear has a 2% resistance set bonus, for example.) Bosses have none.

Hopefully that helps clarify things a little.

For what it's worth, ranged and tech crit chance on the character sheet actually do apply to ranged and tech attacks respectively -- i.e. Snipe uses your ranged crit chance, whereas Orbital Strike uses your tech crit chance.

Accuracy is really poorly communicated on the character sheet.

QFT.

Now that I understand it it seems very simple, but initially it confused me too. Too many different accuracies listed, and different words for the same things (basic, special, ranged, tech, bonus, weapon :eek: )