Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kitar
03.17.2019 , 05:21 PM | #6211
So I am late again in posting. But. I do hope everyone had a great St. Patty's day and no one got pinched!

Here is the prompty prompt

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of March 15, 2019:

Insulting: Our characters often get into physical altercations, but what about verbal ones? When was a well-delivered quip or challenge just right to take down an opponent? Who did they insult and why? What was the response? Your character might have disrespected an authority figure who’s so far removed as to neither know nor care–though in some societies they might care very much and deal with it harshly. Maybe your character was the one insulted. Was it deserved? How do they react? Most of all: What did they say?

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Signed, Sealed, and Delivered - Our universes see a lot of contracts made, whether verbal gentlemen’s agreements, electronic documents, or witnessed formal pacts. Sometimes contracts are entered into willingly; sometimes they’re coerced. Sometimes they’re broken; sometimes they’re protected against outside challenges. Sometimes old agreements come back at an unexpected time. Write about a contract your character made or avoided.

Competition - Life is full of competitions, formal and informal, friendly and unfriendly. Whether it’s with siblings, neighbors, colleagues, or strangers met at the intergalactic traffic light, it’s human (sentient?) nature to find something to try to be better at. Sometimes there’s a clear goal, sometimes there’s not. Sometimes there are rules, sometimes there aren’t, sometimes there are but nobody follows them. Sometimes there’s a prize at the end, and sometimes it’s just about bragging rights. Write about a competition your character has participated in – or tried to avoid. Prompt courtesy of @alaurin101.

Kitar
03.24.2019 , 05:34 PM | #6212
This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of March 22, 2019:

Injury: Since our characters do often get into physical altercations, what injuries have they suffered? In a cinematic world it might be limited to minor scrapes, or serious wounds that heal in no time and without a scar. More realistic stories may have more lasting repercussions. How are their injuries treated? Technology, magic, herbs and other ‘traditional’ remedies? Some of everything? How long is their recovery? How complete? Does it make a difference if they received aid right away or if it took time before they could do so? Do they avoid doctors? What are the doctors like in your world? Think about a time your character was physically hurt and the medical help they received.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Out of the Limelight - this is the flip side of Fame. Through the course of their stories, our characters become famous. Household names, even. Would they have prefered to stay anonymous? What things are easier when no one knows your face? How do they deal with the need for privacy? Do they ever wish they hadn’t become heroes? What made them take the plunge instead of staying safely in the background?

Embarrassment: Everyone has that moment they’d rather forget. The time when every eye was on them, but not in a good way. What about your character? When has the glaring spotlight of public embarrassment shone on them and why? Is it a story they’ll never tell? Is it the hilarious tale told for laughs well after the fact? Or is it one of those things that slips out after too many intoxicants?

Kitar
04.09.2019 , 02:32 PM | #6213
So. I totally dropped the ball again. I do apologize. I will eventually get my act together. I thought I was behind on last weeks prompt. I realized I forgot to post the last prompt in March. I'm so sorry you guys n gals.

Here is the last one for March,

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of March 29, 2019:

Lasting Repercussions: Every battle leaves a mark, every injury a scar. They might not be visible, due to magic or high tech medicine. They might be psychological, but no less real or damaging. They might be social: new enemies or a change in class or status. The entire world may have changed. All your character’s conflicts, verbal or physical, have repercussions. Write about one.

Looking Back: Whether it’s with fondness or relief, everyone thinks about their past sometimes. Something that held them back, or something that propelled them forward. They might consider time with a mentor, a formative event, or just a memorable vacation. Write about your character reminiscing.

Soulmates - Fandoms sail on ships. Does your character have a soulmate? It need not be a designated love interest. A soulmate doesn’t have to be romantic, though they often are. It’s someone with whom your character shares a special bond, an almost inexplicable affinity. How did they meet, discover their shared interests? Are they in the discovery process? Do they deny the attraction? Or is your character convinced they’ll never meet anyone?

And the one from last week.

Week of April 5, 2019:

Evil Twin: A subset of mistaken identity. Suppose there was another character, related or no, who looked so much like your character that everyone assumes they are the same person? Further suppose that this doppelganger has the opposite personality of your character. What happens? Do people trust them when they shouldn’t, or get surprised when they’re generous? How much trouble do they make for your character? Does your character even know they exist? Do they figure it out? What happens?

Interrogation– Question-and-answer, a classic back and forth dialogue. While the word suggests police procedurals, spies, or war, it can be far more broad than that. Interrogation encompasses a doctor trying to make sense of a patient’s symptoms, a job interview, and a parent trying to figure out what happened on the field trip. Consider a character who gives way more information than required, or an interviewer who never manages to ask the right question.

LF1M - Dating site profiles are full of the good, the bad, and the ugly. If your character got lonely and tired of his/her designated love interest, what profile would you write for them to submit to the HoloNet’s matchmaking services?

I pinkie swear I will try to not drop the ball again.

Lord_Thorne
04.10.2019 , 05:59 PM | #6214
I dunno, a pinky-swear is pretty serious!

Inspired by: Soulmates - Fandoms sail on ships. Does your character have a soulmate? It need not be a designated love interest. A soulmate doesn’t have to be romantic, though they often are. It’s someone with whom your character shares a special bond, an almost inexplicable affinity. How did they meet, discover their shared interests? Are they in the discovery process? Do they deny the attraction? Or is your character convinced they’ll never meet anyone?
Spoiler
Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.
"The incomprehensibility of your statement in no way validates it." (HK-51)
"I'm a lump with a bad attitude! Honor! Misplaced loyalty! Grr!" (Z0-OM)

Kitar
04.13.2019 , 09:19 AM | #6215
Look at this almost on time!

Here is this week's prompt. Enjoy.

SFWC Played for Laughs prompt:

Week of April 12, 2019:

Idiot Helpers: your character has companions, friends, and underlings. No doubt most of them are competent, but even the most reliable companion messes up. Some of them might be constantly messing up, misinterpreting your character’s instructions, and running ridiculous (or even contradictory) side schemes of their own. How does this complicate your character’s life? How do they deal with that companion they can’t get rid of or can’t bear to part with, but who is laughably incompetent? What kind of harebrained schemes are they getting into and how do they complicate your character’s life?

Collections - This wide galaxy is a great place for hoarders…or definitely not hoarders, I don’t know what you’re talking about. Where would your character put all the random things you can accumulate, all the speeders, random pets, the copious crafting mats, countless outfits, armor sets, saber hilts…. or does your character only collect one thing in particular, a couple of things, or nothing at all? Prompt courtesy of Kitar on the Star Wars, the Old Republic forums.

Navigation - Our characters often find themselves navigating toward a goal by means of maps, tracking signals, advisors, or instinct. Write about some guidance that pointed the way.

Kitar
04.22.2019 , 07:26 PM | #6216
Pinkies swears are serious and I am late again. I was at my brother's place in another state and time zone if that matters

Here is the prompt

This week’s SFWC Played for Laughs prompt:

Week of April 19, 2019:

Devil Boss: Our characters aren’t always independent. Sometime they have to take orders. And sometimes those orders, the one giving them, or both, are impossible. How does your character deal with a ridiculous situation? One they maybe aren’t meant to survive, complete, or would have to be insane to attempt? Suppose the orders they get are incompatible or in direct opposition. Maybe the orders aren’t so bad but their boss is just a pain to deal with. This week, imagine your character dealing with their boss, or at least someone around whom they should tread carefully, but who isn’t at all obliged to do the same.

Fitness - Let’s face it, the jobs and adventures our characters go through are physically punishing. How do your characters hold up? Do they specifically work out and train, or do they rely on natural prowess? Do they ever fall out of practice? How do they compare to others, or do they go out of their way to avoid comparison? Prompt courtesy of Kitar.

Backfired Plans - No good deed goes unpunished, and sometimes blessings come in disguise. What if something meant for good had bad effects, or vice versa?

Kitar
04.28.2019 , 06:05 PM | #6217
It is still the weekend!!

Here be the last prompt for April

Week of April 26, 2019:

Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time: Think Han Solo turning the corner into the stormtrooper barracks. When has your character done something that made the situation worse? Tried to roll with the situation, but ended up in hotter water instead? Stuck with the original plan even when events changed so as to render it useless? Maybe things didn’t get worse, but definitely didn’t improve at all and now there’s a different crisis. Write about an idea that seemed like a good one at the time, but turned out less so.

Enemies, Rivals, and Nemeses - Everyone has them. Each class story hands you a number of them, and we create more in our Legacies. So, how does your character deal with his or her enemies–quick death, public humiliation, something else? What about rivals, professional or otherwise? Does your character dream of destroying them or use them as motivation to exceed? Is there a nemesis lurking in the wings somewhere? Tell us about it!

Climate - Our characters visit a dazzling array of planets, moons, and extremely large ships with a wide variety of climates and weather conditions. Write about a time when your character had reason to notice.

drug_cartel
05.05.2019 , 07:18 PM | #6218
Just a quick new chapter in the Pansey story. I still enjoy writing these, but I just hate dealing with the email authentication in order to get onto the forums.

Spoiler

Kitar
05.05.2019 , 07:57 PM | #6219
Howdy drug_cartel Sorry that the forums keep giving you trouble. That has to be aggravating. :/

NOt quite Friday but two Sundays in a row! I am getting better!

This week’s SFWC prompt:

Week of May 3, 2019:

Compromise: insisting on having everything their way all the time is a sure way for your character to lose friends and alienate allies. When have they had to compromise? Accept less than everything in order to get some of it? Negotiate a deal where everyone wins and no one really loses? It could be any kind of situation–from sharing a meal to deciding how to run a government. There’s bound to be some things they can’t bend on and others they may, and they have to negotiate similar stances with others. Write about a time your character needed to compromise and did, or didn’t, and what happened.

NO PANTS! Relaxing at home. Nothing planned, nothing going on, nothing pending, no crises. No pants. What’s that mean for your character? Is there any place or time when they can truly relax? Do they fantasize about relaxation while dashing between disasters? Are they stuck in the doldrums, praying for something–anything–to happen? Or do they take “no pants” more literally?

Titles–Queen, Lord, Baron, Senator, President, Minister, Director, Sir or Madam. A title might be formal, bestowed in a ceremony. It might be a basic term of respect or polite discourse. Or it might be earned by appearance, action, or affiliation: Erik the Red, Catherine the Great, Jabba the Hutt. What titles does your character have?

Kitar
05.13.2019 , 02:26 PM | #6220
Happy Mother's Day to all you Moms' out there!
Sorry I am late, I had quite the week and my folks were in town which was nice.

So here is your prompt!

Week of May 10, 2019:

Going Camping! Camp is everywhere this week. In its broadest definition, Camp is something so over-the-top, in poor taste, or ostentatiously awful it’s enjoyed as ridiculous or ironic. Ideally both at the same time. To say camp has no standards is to misunderstand its true nature: it’s not mainstream, doesn’t want to be, and is quite happy as it is thank you very much. This week’s challenge is to incorporate camp in your writing. Introduce (or bring back) a campy character. Include a campy setting. Tell a campy story. Write something campy!

Gifts - Gifts serve a multitude of functions, from hospitality, diplomacy, housewarming, affection, celebration, to manipulation or poison. They can be big or small, expensive or free, expected or surprising, public or private. Write about a gift your character has given or received.

Myths, Legends, and Heroes - Everyone grows up with stories. Stories of fantastic people doing amazing things and having wondrous adventures. Our characters are well on their way to becoming heroes to the following generation. So who did your character look at as a role model? Whose footsteps did they want to follow? Whose stories did they read? Whose adventures did they follow on cheesy serialized animated holoprograms? Why are they so special to your character?